The Hub Photo Club

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Medium format cameras have sensors, or film size, around 6 times the size of a 35mm film SLR camera. Most digital slrs don't actually have a sensor as large as 35mm, only the very top end models do. Medium format digital cameras from the likes of Hasselblad, can cost tens of thousands of beer tokens.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Took this last Thursday with the iphone, been trying to get something of similar effect with the colours for the last 11 years we've lived by the sea.

IMG_1654.jpg
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Anonymous
    You mean sillouhettes, and a faded, miscoloured exposure? (or, old photo, or cross-processed film)?
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    You mean sillouhettes, and a faded, miscoloured exposure? (or, old photo, or cross-processed film)?

most of the above, I've got one of the same view circa 1950, with different buildings that was stuck behind the bricks blocking our open fire.

I've tried using 35mm, polaroid, the other half's twin lens which I think is 120 and various digital compacts and photoshop/gimp. Nothing seemed to come out right, bloody apple and the Hipstamatic worked though.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    wife re has a hipstamatic app and she is taking fotos ales uber the gaff, i think they look really good.
  • Anonymous
    I know a few people use really crappy little plastic lenses for similar effects, or even make pinhole lenses from cardboard.

If you have an SLR, and want to try out some crazy effects, sontrollably (sort of), check out the lensbaby range of weird and wonderful optics.

http://www.lensbaby.com/gallery-photo.php
  • Arkady001
    Arkady001 Posts: 201
    ...bloody apple and the Hipstamatic worked though.

It's very 'in vogue' right now - give it six months and it'll be old-hat again, just as HDR was all the rage for a while and eventually died a much-deserved death...
  • Anonymous
    Arkady001 wrote:
    ...bloody apple and the Hipstamatic worked though.

It's very 'in vogue' right now - give it six months and it'll be old-hat again, just as HDR was all the rage for a while and eventually died a much-deserved death...
    HDR is still in use, but is being used subtly again. Until we get camera makers that increaseing dynamic range is more imporant than MEGAPIXELZZZORZ! then it will be used.
    Same as how grad filters are used.
  • Some of you guys have some amazing photos on here! The best quality I can ever get is the quality in the pic of my bike. I'm terrible.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    jon87uk wrote:
    pHz wrote:
    proc%20P1000123%20900.JPG
    That reminds me of some of the work Richard Long does. Pretty cool.
    It does look a bit like some of Long's stone works - a little bit older than them (by about 3500 years IIRC). Don't get me started on this stuff though - I'm a Fine Art graduate and spent my final year working in a Long/Goldsworthy style and studying the relationship between art and the landscape. Also a bit of an archaeology geek and I actually think there's way more in common between our stone circles and Long's art than meets the eye.

I've been to Swinside before but never in the fog & mist like it was the day of that photo - very atmospheric and a little bit spooky.

slainte :D rob
  • Anonymous
    Some of you guys have some amazing photos on here! The best quality I can ever get is the quality in the pic of my bike. I'm terrible.
    Is it a cameraphone pic? It's not even focused :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    While it might not be technically brilliant, this is my favourite shot I took last year. These buggers don't stay still, and it was very windy, but patience rewarded me in the end.

Peacock butterfly on a thistle:

but2.jpg
  • Anonymous
    I reckon this is my favourite photo I've ever taken. And it's even made me some money :D
    4627447177_98716349cb_z.jpg
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like this one, just because it's an arm's length snap on a crap old Kodak that came out mysteriously good

wheelie.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    I love that. Perfect place, perfect time, great depth of field, good composition.
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    Hang on, you cant afford a DSLR, but you fancy getting a medium format? Get your priorities right! :lol::wink:

I would love one but no I can't afford one :(
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • Anonymous
    I've seen a few full-res Hasselblad medium format shots, and to be honest, they appear to lack sharpness. Now obviously that may be down to the photographer, but I'd have expected that anyone playing with something like that would know what they were doing.
    I actually prefer the images from Nikkon DSLRs, they are just bitingly crisp.
    Of course, they're also about a quarter of the megapixels :lol:
  • Arkady001
    ...HDR is still in use, but is being used subtly again. Until we get camera makers that increaseing dynamic range is more imporant than MEGAPIXELZZZORZ! then it will be used.
    Same as how grad filters are used.

I should have added a caveat: 'bad' HDR has died a well-deserved death...done well it can enhance an image, but you seldom see it done well IMO...
    Just as everyone went mad with Cokin 'effects' Filters back in the 80's, it was the Big Thing until recently, just as colour 'popping'/selective colour, which I also totally hate...

Medium Format cameras take a bit of skill to use, but the same principles apply.
    Film MF bodies are stupidly cheap right now even though film is enjoying a bit of a renaissance of late - I put my 'Blad 500c kit and Pentax 6x7 kit up for sale a couple of years ago and I was getting offers of £200 for the lot, so I decided to keep them along with all my 35mm kit. I occasionally put a roll of film through all of them to keep the shutters working, though I never produce anything worthwhile as my heart isn't really in it any more.

Since going digital in 2001 I haven''t looked back to be honest - for press work even though the IQ wasn't all that great with the earlier models, the speed of getting the images out meant film effectively died that year for most Pros.

I've not had the opportunity yet to try out a Hasselblad digital back which I can now get to fit the 500-series bodies I still have, but to be perfectly honest, the Nikon D3x I use for studio and portraiture gets me images just as good as I was producing back then - if you control the light then the lack of high-iso performance isn't an issue.
    For the times that it is an issue, the D3 bodies I use for general purpose, events, PR and sports cover all the bases.
  • supersonic
    supersonic wrote:
    I love that. Perfect place, perfect time, great depth of field, good composition.

Cheers :D

Photobucket seems to have compressed it a little, are a few artifacts in the background, the original looks a bit crisper I think.
  • supersonic
    These are a few more from that day:

butter2-1.jpg

butter3.jpg

but4.jpg
  • Arkady001
    One from yesterday: lighting and lens test for a series of commissioned portraits starting next week.
    I know nothing about Golf, so I needed to see what worked and what didn't.

5492301962_955057dd46.jpg

D3x and 17-35 f/2.8 @ 24mm.
    Three SB900 speedlights triggered by another SB900 as commander.
    Two low camera-left, one camera right on a tripod above and behind subject, all firing on 0.0EV (1:1 in manual-speak), the one on-camera firing at -1.5EV
  • mtbgus
    mtbgus Posts: 17
    Some really great shots on here, lots of talented people.

I won't post some of mine up because I have that many, follow the link below to my website to see my mtb photos...
    Visit my Website...
    forum2.jpg
  • wilfus
    wilfus Posts: 78
    Heres a couple of mine. Click the picture for a bigger version

th_SDC12136.jpg

This was taken last year on a sweet pepper plant

th_SDC12178.jpg

This is my sisters camper van taken when we went to Magna which is the building behind.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    These were taken with a Fuji FinePix camera a few years back in Bloubergstrand. Cape Town

bloubergstrandbeach2012.th.jpg
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    And some of my son Tyler having some fun with the wakeboard
    These taken with a 12MP Fuji Finepix EX200 camera

dscf1302.th.jpg
    dscf0147.th.jpg
    dscf0152f.th.jpg
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    This is probably my favourite picture I have taken:

4765191073_06de7b175a_z.jpg

I think that's classed as fail.

This is one of my actual favourite pictures from Goodwood last year, I'm sure it could be made a lot better with some editing etc but meh I'm not very good at that!

4765133155_7ed1ff72ea_z.jpg

I also like this one as well:

4765854896_07149e5893_z.jpg

All taken with my pretty old and battered Fujifilm FinePix S5600.
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    0085a3.jpg

One from New York.
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • Arkady001
    A nice sunny day, so i cleaned the bikes...

5506083011_0e85bde724.jpg
  • AndyBeast
    AndyBeast Posts: 179
    Sorry about the size of these, will take em down if they're too big!! Some from summer holiday in Devon last year, only sunny day that week so there's lots of flowers (ghey) and a curious penguin!!

DSCF0461.jpg

DSCF0210.jpg

DSCF0216.jpg

DSCF0673.jpg

DSCF0620.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Took this on the way back from Snowboarding in Aviemore.

5507650084_dd2e2c383e.jpg

Great end to a great day.