Mac or PC?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Weejie54 wrote:
    There seems little doubt that Apple deliver a smooth-running system in a sleek package - but they keep you hooked into their system at a premium price, with the result that they are now the second most valuable company in the world, second to only Exxon Mobil.

Premium price?

The OS installation disks are less expensive than Microsoft's offerings - and you can run the OS on most recent PC systems. There are a good few Mac freebie apps on the go as well.
    Windows 7 is very limited in its drivers for older hardware (SCSI, for example) and it is not surprising that more people are moving to the Mac set-up.

You have to pay like £50 for a Service pack with OS X, whereas you get them for free with Windows. And all my copies of Windows have only cost £30 anyway, so you seem to be making stuff up.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Reminded me of this:

update_for_your_computer.jpg

Source
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,631
    Weejie54 wrote:
    Premium price?
    Well, I suppose at least Apple doesn't do the normal capitalist trick of selling you the original hardware at below cost then getting their money back by overcharging subsequently once you're hooked (think Sky, mortgages, Mach 3 razors, hard drugs) - unless you're claiming that the original harware isn't at a premium price?

Most effective monopolies get to that position with a combination of good product and good marketing, but then take advantage of their dominance to distort the market to their advantage - think Tesco. But Apple very much have consumers hooked into their system and brand - a combination of good product and not allowing compeition in 'their system'.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    liversedge wrote:
    I use Linux, Mac and PCs. After 25 years of Microsoft brainwashing I have used Mac/Linux more and more and detoxified my mind.

Seriously, you need to get away from the MS-Mindset to really appreciate how awful MS products are to use.

How many times have you found yourself fighting MS word 'auto' features or hunting down a feature on the ribbon. How many times have you rebooted after changing something or applying an update? How many times have you had to reinstall a driver or open up control panel.

There is a better way.

I never fight MS Word because I know how to use it...

MS Word also is on a mac.

I rarely reboot, maybe once ever couple of weeks.

I've never had to reinstall a driver, although thinking of that, probably time to update my Nvidia graphics drivers..

I rarely ever go into control panel unless I'm in a curious mood.

Also I don't get this complaining about updates, if you don't want to update then turn it off, if you don't want to think about updating then automate it. The updates are for your own good.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    You have to pay like £50 for a Service pack with OS X, whereas you get them for free with Windows. And all my copies of Windows have only cost £30 anyway, so you seem to be making stuff up.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC573 ... TY3ODQ5OTY

Mac OSX 10.6 - Snow Leopard @ £26.00

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/default.aspx

Windows 7 upgrade starting @ £99.99

No, I'm not making it up.
  • Weejie54
    I've never had to reinstall a driver, although thinking of that, probably time to update my Nvidia graphics drivers..

Try running SCSI gear on your box.
  • freehub
    Weejie54 wrote:

They're not service packs........
  • Weejie54
    edited March 2011
    They're not service packs..
    "
    :roll: Technically, no such thing as a "Snow Leopard service pack". Update revisions are FOC. Snow Leopard is an upgrade from Leopard. Windows 7 is a doctored Vista, and the upgrade will cost you a hundred smackeroons.

My post said OS installation disks was cheaper - proven beyond doubt.

It is one of those Mainwaring - Pike moments.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    freehub wrote:
    Weejie54 wrote:

They're not service packs........

Snow leopard is.

Apple dont advertise this but its not an upgrade as specified its the full OS. I bought it and upgraded from 10.4 to snow leopard 10.6. On the apple website to upgrade that way the recommendation was to purchase an upgrade pack costing 130 pound.

After much googling it became apparent that the full os snow leopard is indeed out there legally for just 26 squid.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Weejie54
    edited March 2011
    Snow leopard is.

It is an upgrade but the installation disk will install the system from scratch.
  • s-worksenduro
    s-worksenduro Posts: 172
    edited March 2011
    Weejie54 wrote:

Snow Leopard, yes, costs £26, but it is an upgrade to Leopard that cost about £85 to buy originally.

The other thing to note is that OS X Lion is coming out in the summer, so you will probably have to pay to upgrade again.

A Windows 7 upgrade would cost more because it is a completely different OS, Apple on the other hand make a few tweaks and add a few new features to existing OS, and then sell you that.
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Weejie54 wrote:
    Snow leopard is.

It is an upgrade.

No. As i said Its the full OS. I'm on it now; a macbook upgraded from 10.4, missing out leopard, straight to snow leopard 10.6.6. for 25 great british pounds.
  • Cleat Eastwood
  • Weejie54
    Woah, lets straighten this out, Snow Leopard, yes, costs £26, but it is an upgrade to Leopard that cost about £85 to buy originally.

No. It will upgrade Leopard but the disk will install from scratch.
    A Windows 7 upgrade would cost more because it is a completely different OS,

Nope. It is a doctored version of Vista. Windows Vista ìs version 6.0, Windows 7 is version 6.1.
    The UPGRADE from Vista will cost you 99 quid.
  • That's not the point I was making, the difference is that you can buy Windows 7, a different operating system to Windows Vista as a stand-alone product, as an operating system in its own right. Snow Leopard on the other hand, while it is a different OS to Leopard, is available only as an upgrade.

The fundamental difference between the two products is the business model, Microsoft is a software company that creates operating systems to be used on whatever hardware the end user specifies. Apple make hardware, and then make an operating system to be supplied with that hardware (Hackintosh is a different issue). Apple don't charge so much for the operating system upgrades as they also make a lot of money from selling the hardware, something that Microsoft don't do.
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Weejie54 wrote:
    The UPGRADE from Vista will cost you 99 quid.

As I said before it cost me just £30 for a OEM Clean Install license..
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    That's not the point I was making, the difference is that you can buy Windows 7, a different operating system to Windows Vista as a stand-alone product, as an operating system in its own right. Snow Leopard on the other hand, while it is a different OS to Leopard, is available only as an upgrade.

Doh!

Please read the above replies again. While it is called an upgrade (presumably for those that already had an older version) it is actually a complete OS. No previous versions are required. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

It is true that Lion is coming out soon. How long will it be before Windows 7 is replaced?
    There doesn't seem to have been much time between the more recent Windows offerings. All companies are at it. Continual new releases are the only way to keep making money.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Weejie54
    edited March 2011
    That's not the point I was making, the difference is that you can buy Windows 7, a different operating system to Windows Vista as a stand-alone product, as an operating system in its own right. Snow Leopard on the other hand, while it is a different OS to Leopard, is available only as an upgrade.

Windows 7 is marketed as a different operating system, but it is basically a system built on the same Vista kernel, though revised. Snow Leopard is a revision of Leopard. The disk for 26 quid will install from scratch, so it is, in effect, a complete operating system just as Windows 7. If you want to legitimately install windows 7 from scratch, it will cost you 150 quid.
    As I said before it cost me just £30 for a OEM Clean Install license..

Probably as a student. I got a legal copy of OSX Leopard for nowt. Perhaps the exception proves the rule.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Weejie54 wrote:
    They're not service packs..
    "
    :roll: Technically, no such thing as a "Snow Leopard service pack". Update revisions are FOC. Snow Leopard is an upgrade from Leopard. Windows 7 is a doctored Vista, and the upgrade will cost you a hundred smackeroons.

My post said OS installation disks was cheaper - proven beyond doubt.

It is one of those Mainwaring - Pike moments.
    Sorry chaps, but this can't pass. W7 was effectively a complete rewrite as Vista was such a dog's dinner. It might look the same, but it's not.

Carry on.
  • Weejie54
    Sorry chaps, but this can't pass. W7 was effectively a complete rewrite as Vista was such a dog's dinner. It might look the same, but it's not.

Other way round. Windows 7 is built on the NT 6 kernel. It might look different than Vista, but it is basically the same OS dressed up (or dressed down). For it to be a completely different OS, it would need to have a new kernel.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Not strictly true. Vista grew from XP, which grew from W2K, which was built on that kernel. It was this gradual change that led to Vista being so poor; it was a pile of spaghetti in the end. The rewrite stripped it all back to the kernel and then layered the functionality in a neat logical [for MS anyway] manner, with necessary changes to those layers as they were [re]built. Vista was pants as much for its architecture as much as anything. W7 resolved a lot of those probs.

FWIW my W7 never falls in a heap, blue-screens or needs me to reinstall drivers every few weeks. It does seem to just work and has done for over a year now. Mind - I had XP for a long time and don't recall seeing that blue screen either. All irrelevant anyway - Ubuntu is my preferred OS nowadays. Win is just for looking after a couple of ASP web sites as & when.
  • freehub
    What a load of crap some people are talking about W7, it's not a doctored Vista.

Honestly wtf are people on.

Between Windows XP and Vista the timeframe was pretty large....

Between Vista and 7 no so much. I've heard from certain sources that Vista was just an interim anyway and I'd not be surprised if it was true.
  • Weejie54
    Not strictly true. Vista grew from XP, which grew from W2K, which was built on that kernel. It was this gradual change that led to Vista being so poor; it was a pile of spaghetti in the end. The rewrite stripped it all back to the kernel and then layered the functionality in a neat logical [for MS anyway] manner, with necessary changes to those layers as they were [re]built. Vista was pants as much for its architecture as much as anything. W7 resolved a lot of those probs.

The NT 6 Vista kernel was improved for server 2008 and that base was developed for Win 7. They are all a progression of the previous kernel. I think you are missing the point. To describe Mac Snow Leopard as a "Service Pack for Leopard" and suggest that Win 7 is a "different operating system than Vista" is showing your colours. Fact is, upgrade from previous flavour of Mac is cheaper than upgrade from previous flavour of windows - even with OEM or student deals.

Blue screens are a thing of the past with Win 7 right enough. Black screen has taken over.
  • Weejie54
    What a load of crap some people are talking about W7, it's not a doctored Vista.

Honestly wtf are people on.

Between Windows XP and Vista the timeframe was pretty large....

Between Vista and 7 no so much. I've heard from certain sources that Vista was just an interim anyway and I'd not be surprised if it was true.

Strictly speaking, Win 7 is exactly that. A re-working of the same kernel (or Server 2008 was a re-working and that was a base for Win 7), to remove egg from face. Your "certain sources" are misinformed. The "timeframe" is not really relevant - except that Microsoft had to pull some socks up sharpish.
  • freehub
    Weejie54 wrote:

The NT 6 Vista kernel was improved for server 2008 and that base was developed for Win 7. They are all a progression of the previous kernel. I think you are missing the point. To describe Mac Snow Leopard as a "Service Pack for Leopard" and suggest that Win 7 is a "different operating system than Vista" is showing your colours. Fact is, upgrade from previous flavour of Mac is cheaper than upgrade from previous flavour of windows - even with OEM or student deals.

Blue screens are a thing of the past with Win 7 right enough. Black screen has taken over.

Black screens? Never had one of those, you must be doing something wrong.

Black screen problem was due to an update, not a common problem with computers running Windows 7.

Windows 7 is rock solid, never falls over at all.
  • Weejie54
    Black screens? Never had one of those, you must be doing something wrong.

Yep - trusting Windows.

Win 7 is hopeless when running SCSI gear - except, perhaps, the very latest SCSI gear.
    The "black screen" comment was being sarcastic.
    Windows 7 is rock solid, never falls over at all.

Not what the countless posts on forums would suggest - and of course something is "wrong" - but the fact that the system is so particular about drivers makes "wrongs" fairly frequent.
  • freehub
    I honestly don't know what you're talking about, clearly it's not Windows 7.
  • Weejie54
    I honestly don't know what you're talking about, clearly it's not Windows 7.

Are you saying that windows 7 runs SCSI systems without incident?
    Or do you think that all Win 7 users find it crashproof?

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/
  • freehub
    No but I do think the there is a high amount of BS in this thread and the first sign of any Windows problems all you get is OMGZZZZZZZZZZZZ WINDOZE SUKZ GET A MAC!!!!!11111111

Fair enough if you like mac better then fine, but don't go talking BS trying to make one OS sound superior to another and sooo much better...
  • Weejie54
    Fair enough if you like mac better then fine, but don't go talking BS trying to make one OS sound superior to another and sooo much better...

Where's the BS? I have only stated fact. It does appear that you are jumping in defence of Windows 7 at any opportunity. It's just an operating system on a computer.