Mac or PC?

Comments

• It's also difficult. Mac is built upon Berkley Unix (very definitely NOT Linux as often mis-quoted) and requires root access to do anything serious.
    [/quote]
    I know f*rk all about hacking but you don't seriously believe OSX is immune from malware
    ?

Where exactly did I claim immunity from malware?
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • balthazar wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    I've down loaded CarbonCopy Cloner via my PC and USB pen stick copying on to the Mac desktop. I then click to run it, but it comes up with the message "the following disc images falied to mount", reason "no mountable files systems".

+1 balthazar

dilemna, I think you are going round in circles. Your int drive has failed (at least you say it has, the hardware may still be ok but I don't know that from here). You have a bootable partition on your external drive. If you boot from that, can you at least see p2 and it's files? If not, I ask again, how did you partition and format the external drive?

If you can boot from p1 and see p2, you should be able to use Migration Mgr to transfer all your personal stuff to the new and hopefully still virgin system on p1.
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    2phat4rapha - nigga u crazy.

And yeah... it's a shame that macs don't magically do everything. :( I was beginning to think to want one :(
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Partitioned and formatted the drive with Disk Utility although the portable drive is for Macs not PCs soit is already formatted for Macs. No problem seeing files in either partition. I now accept that it is not sufficient to merely drag and drop to copy the files from the farked internal drive to either of the partitions. The Mac is not currently connected to the net. There are a few files on the internal drive I would like to retrieve plus there are all my preferences and settings I would like to retrieve.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    balthazar wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    I've down loaded CarbonCopy Cloner via my PC and USB pen stick copying on to the Mac desktop. I then click to run it, but it comes up with the message "the following disc images falied to mount", reason "no mountable files systems".

What now?

Do you mean that you've mounted the USB stick, run CBC, and then seen this alert - or does that happen before the USB stick mounted?

If the USB stick is not mounting at all, then it is probably formatted in the wrong file system. From (my) memory, either FAT32 or NTFS will work fine with your Mac. However, you have a working OSX system on your 1st partition, can't you startup in that and download whatever you need from there, rather than using a PC as a go-between?

Err ......... stick pen drive in USB slot then drag and drop Carbonclone to desktop of Mac.
    balthazar wrote:
    Either way, I think it's a little late for CBC. You only have a non-booting mirror available, because your original disk is dead. CBC has nothing to clone!

But copying the software which is most likely not at fault from a faulty drive to a new bootable drive is possible?

balthazar wrote:
    I'm afraid I'd still recommend working with your 1st partition, and making that your primary boot disk. Good luck whichever! I'll be as much help as I can, as a non-expert with considerable experience of this kind of thing, from my own Macs.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    @dilemna: I understand how infuriating this stuff is. That we still have to do it is evidence enough that we're still in the early stages of a technology (much like drivers who had to deal with points and carburettors for decades). Anyway: does your partition 2 mount on your desktop (or in a Finder window) when you boot into partition 1? If so, then I suggest you manually dig through it, and drag the relevant files over to partition 1. That's the quickest way to get a usable computer, now.

If you have the space, drag the entire user folder (<yourname>) onto the desktop, then position two finder windows next to one another and move things over. Start with the contents of your Documents folder. Honestly, it's the quickest way to get going. Deal with the rest later.
  • Application files are easy to copy across.
    I am not sure my memory goes back to 10.3 but in tiger your preferences are in
    user-> your home folder->library -> preferences folder

I am still not sure how you HD is FU if you copy stuff etc from it, see the file structure etc ?
  • balthazar
    dilemna wrote:
    But copying the software which is most likely not at fault from a faulty drive to a new bootable drive is possible?
    It is, as long as the drive is still working. If your internal drive still functions, you could use CBC to clone it into a bootable volume on an external drive. But I thought it was knackered?!
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    dilemna wrote:
    I have a PC circa 2001. It's still as fast now as the day I got it a decade ago from Evesham who are sadly no more.

Ooooo....

<enters into bleary eyed reminiscing about evesham c.1996> :oops:
  • dilemna
    balthazar wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    It is, as long as the drive is still working. If your internal drive still functions, you could use CBC to clone it into a bootable volume on an external drive. But I thought it was knackered?!

CCC clone of faulty internal drive to 2nd partition of new external HD was successful. It was recognised as a bootable drive but on boot up was just the same as when on the old internal HD ie it didn't successfully boot. So I think the problem is actually OS based as opposed to the HD. As suggested above I now want to copy the preferences, favs and my desktop files to the first partition which is the recovery version of OS X 10.3.3 which boots up fine. Which files do I need to copy? Library? Applications? Any others?
  • dilemna
    zanes wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    I have a PC circa 2001. It's still as fast now as the day I got it a decade ago from Evesham who are sadly no more.

Ooooo....

Mine has performed faultlessly, has been a very stable system, which of course saying this is the kiss of death, very quickly reaches for some wood.

It's has an Athlon 1.6GHz processor, 80GB HD (which is comparatively small now. A portable drive to boost storage capacity) and I have put in 3GB of RAM (the max), plus all the usual peripherals. I much prefer Windows to Mac OS systems. it's just what one becomes used to really. Macs are style over function and way over priced.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I dunno if macs are style over function as the OS is really ugly, Windows 7 is way more stylish than Mac OSX, same for Vista and even XP.
  • balthazar
    dilemna wrote:
    balthazar wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

CCC clone of faulty internal drive to 2nd partition of new external HD was successful. It was recognised as a bootable drive but on boot up was just the same as when on the old internal HD ie it didn't successfully boot. So I think the problem is actually OS based as opposed to the HD. As suggested above I now want to copy the preferences, favs and my desktop files to the first partition which is the recovery version of OS X 10.3.3 which boots up fine. Which files do I need to copy? Library? Applications? Any others?

If CCC reports the creation of a bootable volume, yet you still can't select it in the startup disk system preference pane, or after holding down "option" during restart, then I'm out of ideas. Is it connected by Firewire, or USB? Try a different USB port maybe? I have never had problems creating bootable volumes from CCC or SuperDuper (my preferred route).

For plan B, I suggest copying the contents of your user folder, and installing applications as need be. Most can just be dragged over to the Applications folder and will position any support files they may need at first run, but others (Adobe, Microsoft) need to run installers.

After this, it may help to move over some existing app support files (Macintosh HD/Library/Application support), and preferences (Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences). However, most of these will have already been moved, because the primary source of these files is in your User/Library folder, which you already copied.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    dilemna wrote:
    zanes wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Ooooo....

Mine has performed faultlessly, has been a very stable system, which of course saying this is the kiss of death, very quickly reaches for some wood.

It's has an Athlon 1.6GHz processor, 80GB HD (which is comparatively small now. A portable drive to boost storage capacity) and I have put in 3GB of RAM (the max), plus all the usual peripherals. I much prefer Windows to Mac OS systems. it's just what one becomes used to really. Macs are style over function and way over priced.

Ahh, modern rubbish ay? :wink:

Our system from them was a 200Mhz MMX, 32MB of ram, 3.2GB HD. One of my fondest memories of computers as a kid was going up to their showroom to buy an external 56.6kbps modem (still floating around somewhere) and the tech demo on all their machines being the original half life. They *were* the days. Unfortunately that system has long since gone to heaven, although a few bits are lurking still.

One of these days I'll make good my promise to buy myself a DOS box for some proper gaming. :oops:
  • dilemna
    balthazar wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    balthazar wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

If CCC reports the creation of a bootable volume, yet you still can't select it in the startup disk system preference pane, or after holding down "option" during restart, then I'm out of ideas. Is it connected by Firewire, or USB? Try a different USB port maybe? I have never had problems creating bootable volumes from CCC or SuperDuper (my preferred route).

For plan B, I suggest copying the contents of your user folder, and installing applications as need be. Most can just be dragged over to the Applications folder and will position any support files they may need at first run, but others (Adobe, Microsoft) need to run installers.

After this, it may help to move over some existing app support files (Macintosh HD/Library/Application support), and preferences (Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences). However, most of these will have already been moved, because the primary source of these files is in your User/Library folder, which you already copied.

It's all done now save for downloading the updates from OS X 10.3.3 to 10.3.9 which I dont see being a prob. Thanks for all your helps and others who've chipped in. At ease, back on topic now.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Personally I switched to Mac over a year ago and my old PC is running windows 7, but it hardly gets a look in. I needed something to run Traktor Scratch Pro on, and the windows pc proved hopeless and I managed to get hold of a 15" MacBook Pro and I can say I will never go back to PC. I hate using my work laptop which is bobbins in comparison to the MacBook.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    Get a mac, for everyday use its so much better than windows

then if you want to game just use bootcamp (its included on a mac) to install windows.

The spec on all modern macs (especially the desktops) is more than adequate for up to date gaming on windows.

I use a 1yr old macbook pro at the moment and it can still hold its own with new releases.

And as previously noted by others steam is bringing more and more games to the mac, also with the release of the mac app store more and more games are popping up on there too!
  • freehub
    Chris87 wrote:
    Get a mac, for everyday use its so much better than windows

then if you want to game just use bootcamp (its included on a mac) to install windows.

The spec on all modern macs (especially the desktops) is more than adequate for up to date gaming on windows.

I use a 1yr old macbook pro at the moment and it can still hold its own with new releases.

And as previously noted by others steam is bringing more and more games to the mac, also with the release of the mac app store more and more games are popping up on there too!

Why is it so much better though?

I don't think all modern macs could play all up to date games tbh, try Crysis 2.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Who are these people who play all day on their operating system?

It's all about the applications.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    I don't think all modern macs could play all up to date games tbh, try Crysis 2.

http://tryclass.com/crysis-2-fast-final ... eaked.html
  • freehub
    Weejie54 wrote:

http://tryclass.com/crysis-2-fast-final ... eaked.html

My comment still stands.....
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    freehub wrote:
    I dunno if macs are style over function as the OS is really ugly, Windows 7 is way more stylish than Mac OSX, same for Vista and even XP.

A friend of mine has been a Mac basher for some years. Slating them as rubbish and over priced. Funnily enough this is during his time as an impoverished student and he had never actually used a Mac other than a 5 minute play in an Apple Store in Sheffield.

Suprise, suprise. Within 12 months of getting his first "proper" and full-time well paid job he bought a Macbook Pro. Apparently they are pretty good and so much quicker than his old laptop that got him through Uni.

I'm not suggesting Freehub falls into this category but the mac bashing sounds all too similar to me and your love of Windows is no less "Fan boy" than the Mac Users who eulogise over their Macs. I've used Windows based PC's and laptops for years running photo editing software and Office. Always did the job but frustratingly slow at times and big files often crashing/freezing.

Switched to Mac. Ease of use, fast, no crashes with the biggest photo files and I am more than happy. The experience in use which is hard to describe is also part of the Mac experience and why so many Mac users prattle on using superlatives to describe their Mac experience.

Have you actually seriously used a Mac or like my friend an impoverished student who labels everything crap that you can't afford?

I don't mean that in any insulting way but it's just a fact of life that many people have an opinion on a subject they no little about and there are other reasons that drives their view such as cost or peer views. You see it with the views on this forum about car drivers - labelling Audi/ Merc/ BMW / Volvo drivers as monstrous idiots when the car itself has little bearing on the idiot inside of it.

Anyway rant over. I love my Mac and I drive a BMW :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    ALaPlage wrote:
    I love my Mac and I drive a BMW :D

C**t. :wink:
  • Macs rock! Get one, you'll be glad you did. The new one's come with some cool softwear.
    I created this website on my Mac in iWeb:- http://www.gregarios.co.uk
    :D
  • freehub
    ALaPlage wrote:
    freehub wrote:

A friend of mine has been a Mac basher for some years. Slating them as rubbish and over priced. Funnily enough this is during his time as an impoverished student and he had never actually used a Mac other than a 5 minute play in an Apple Store in Sheffield.

Suprise, suprise. Within 12 months of getting his first "proper" and full-time well paid job he bought a Macbook Pro. Apparently they are pretty good and so much quicker than his old laptop that got him through Uni.

I'm not suggesting Freehub falls into this category but the mac bashing sounds all too similar to me and your love of Windows is no less "Fan boy" than the Mac Users who eulogise over their Macs. I've used Windows based PC's and laptops for years running photo editing software and Office. Always did the job but frustratingly slow at times and big files often crashing/freezing.

Switched to Mac. Ease of use, fast, no crashes with the biggest photo files and I am more than happy. The experience in use which is hard to describe is also part of the Mac experience and why so many Mac users prattle on using superlatives to describe their Mac experience.

Have you actually seriously used a Mac or like my friend an impoverished student who labels everything crap that you can't afford?

I don't mean that in any insulting way but it's just a fact of life that many people have an opinion on a subject they no little about and there are other reasons that drives their view such as cost or peer views. You see it with the views on this forum about car drivers - labelling Audi/ Merc/ BMW / Volvo drivers as monstrous idiots when the car itself has little bearing on the idiot inside of it.

Anyway rant over. I love my Mac and I drive a BMW :D

I'm not actually apple bashing....

My ancient core 2 quad PC has no problems running Windows 7 and my laptop is very fast running Windows 7.

I have used a mac, well actually, I have not, I've used OSx snow leopard on my quad core PC, it's ugly and I found no benefit to it over Windows, I don't need it, it offers no advantages and looks dull.

I am defending windows from all the people who make crap up.

"Ease of use, fast, no crashes with the biggest photo files and I am more than happy."

The above is me with Windows, Windows 7 just does not crash.

The experience in use which is hard to describe is also part of the Mac experience and why so many Mac users prattle on using superlatives to describe their Mac experience"

The above sounds pretty much rubbish, mac is not some other world experience like that quote sounds like.

See, I could buy a mac, or buy a beast of a desktop computer that eats anything you throw at it.

It's like mac users or people destined to be mac users are those who just wreck their windows pc's, It beggars belief the problems people claim they have with windows pc's and how "slow" they are. very very odd.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,631
    A thought occured to me (probably not an original one) reading this article in the Independent: that using Windows has in some way become the counter-culture, a position it has taken over from Macs.

Apple has ruthlessly exploited its loyal customer base (admittedly with a good product) to become an enormous, controlling corporation, whilst Microsoft has, bit by bit, been losing the sort of software integration and tied-in-ness that Apple exploits, such as in itunes and apps for its hardware.

One of the joys for me of using Windows is the enormous amount of really good freeware programs available - using the resource of these, you can out together a good suite of programs to do most of the things you need, but you do sometimes need to lift up the bonnet of the machine and understand how things work and fit together.

There seems little doubt that Apple deliver a smooth-running system in a sleek package - but they keep you hooked into their system at a premium price, with the result that they are now the second most valuable company in the world, second to only Exxon Mobil.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    I use Linux, Mac and PCs. After 25 years of Microsoft brainwashing I have used Mac/Linux more and more and detoxified my mind.

Seriously, you need to get away from the MS-Mindset to really appreciate how awful MS products are to use.

How many times have you found yourself fighting MS word 'auto' features or hunting down a feature on the ribbon. How many times have you rebooted after changing something or applying an update? How many times have you had to reinstall a driver or open up control panel.

There is a better way.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    There seems little doubt that Apple deliver a smooth-running system in a sleek package - but they keep you hooked into their system at a premium price, with the result that they are now the second most valuable company in the world, second to only Exxon Mobil.

Premium price?

The OS installation disks are less expensive than Microsoft's offerings - and you can run the OS on most recent PC systems. There are a good few Mac freebie apps on the go as well.
    Windows 7 is very limited in its drivers for older hardware (SCSI, for example) and it is not surprising that more people are moving to the Mac set-up.