Comments

• tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    MattC59 wrote:
    chipandpin wrote:
    4kicks wrote:
    chipandpin wrote:
    flatneasy wrote:
    1. A coin has an equal chance of heads or tails.

2. Also if you throw a coin, the number of heads and tails will average out evenly over time.

So if you throw an unusually large number of heads, surely the tails have to catch up, to make (2) work.

But if they did that, then they wouldn't be obeying rule (1)

The coin doesn't have any memory of the previous result so I don't think it would actually even out over time.

In fact, the more times you throw a coin the less chance there is of the number of heads and tails being equal.

Go on, explain that one to me. Ive done (and passed!) three statistics classes at Maths A level, University and an MBA and I cant figure why that one should be true...

this is a good one! I could be wrong and have no formal statistics training, so probably am wrong, but..... if you toss a coin once, the chance of getting heads is 1 in 2. flip it a again and the chance if getting tails is 1 in 2. BUT if you said you wanted to flip and heads AND a tails in two flips, the chance is 1in 4. the odds get longer the more flips you do.

A mathematical proof is beyond me, not having done any statistics in 20 years or so, but put simply the number of combinations resulting in an equal number of heads and tails (given by the formula (n!/r!(n-r)! where n is the number of tosses and r is the required number of heads (or tails) ie n/2) does not increase as fast as the total possible number of outcomes (2 to the power n).
    What I can do as an illustration is give the probability of an equal number of heads and tails for the first few numbers of tosses:

For 2 tosses P = 0.5
    For 4 tosses P = 0.375
    For 6 tosses P = 0.3125
    For 8 tosses P = 0.273

This probably doesn't help much and may well be total horse poop.
    The chances are still 50/50 (or as near as damn it) as each toss of the coin is an independent event.
    his answer is correct, your answer is to a different question.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
    cos the rains not 40 degrees :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    It is here :shock:

but then again, we don't have any sheep...
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Couple of fruity ones.

What do seedless grapes grow from?

When pears go wrong, what shape do they go?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    are'nt these mysteries in the same category as:

What is the little pocket of the right-hand side of a pair of jeans?

When you squeeze a tube of toothpaste, how does it come out in three perfect stripes?

On staplers, in the bit that bends the staples inwards, there is also a bit that bends the staples outwards. Why? Is it used for anything?

Expiry dates on packets of crisps are ALWAYS on a Saturday. Why is that?

When your mobile phone has no reception and you're unable to make any calls, how come you're still able to make Emergency Calls Only?

How do Chinese people type on a keyboard? Their alphabet has hundreds of characters.

Don't know if this has been answered, and I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, but it's ingenious. Use of various function keys such as SHIFT allows many characters to be displayed. One key can stand for several similar characters so you scroll to find the right one. On mobile phones there are multiple on screen scrolling options which allow you to display individual characters which can then be built into words. Clever these Chinese!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Couple of fruity ones.

What do seedless grapes grow from?

When pears go wrong, what shape do they go?

Seeds!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    DubaiNeil wrote:
    It is here :shock:

but then again, we don't have any sheep...

You do have sheep... they've just shrunk to a tiny size over the years. Look for them in the cracks in the pavements.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    why is vanilla ice cream so much more enjoyable between two wafers.
  • ohara227
    ohara227 Posts: 225
    Why has no one came up with a quick fix pothole mix, councils can use?

I must point out - it should work! Maybe we could use the shrunken sheep...
    'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
    Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
    Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2
  • stevec205gti
    stevec205gti Posts: 366
    Cressers wrote:
    How many pairs of shoes are enough for a woman?

Always one more than the number they currently own :shock:
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Cressers wrote:
    How many pairs of shoes are enough for a woman?

Always one more than the number they currently own :shock:

Look, I believe I have already answered this, it's one pair of Converse.

And soon to need a pair of road shoes as some git nicked mine and I have a promise to fulfil.

And @ Aggie, things have changed, but I don't think he'll answer either. :wink:

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk