un-answerable questions

Comments

• Plod
    Plod Posts: 42
    Why is a set square triangular?

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  • Plod wrote:
    Why is a set square triangular?

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

You know those triangles in the orchestra, why do they only have two angles and a gap?

250px-Triangle_001.jpg
  • chipandpin wrote:
    4kicks wrote:
    chipandpin wrote:
    flatneasy wrote:
    1. A coin has an equal chance of heads or tails.

2. Also if you throw a coin, the number of heads and tails will average out evenly over time.

So if you throw an unusually large number of heads, surely the tails have to catch up, to make (2) work.

But if they did that, then they wouldn't be obeying rule (1)

The coin doesn't have any memory of the previous result so I don't think it would actually even out over time.

In fact, the more times you throw a coin the less chance there is of the number of heads and tails being equal.

Go on, explain that one to me. Ive done (and passed!) three statistics classes at Maths A level, University and an MBA and I cant figure why that one should be true...

this is a good one! I could be wrong and have no formal statistics training, so probably am wrong, but..... if you toss a coin once, the chance of getting heads is 1 in 2. flip it a again and the chance if getting tails is 1 in 2. BUT if you said you wanted to flip and heads AND a tails in two flips, the chance is 1in 4. the odds get longer the more flips you do.

A mathematical proof is beyond me, not having done any statistics in 20 years or so, but put simply the number of combinations resulting in an equal number of heads and tails (given by the formula (n!/r!(n-r)! where n is the number of tosses and r is the required number of heads (or tails) ie n/2) does not increase as fast as the total possible number of outcomes (2 to the power n).
    What I can do as an illustration is give the probability of an equal number of heads and tails for the first few numbers of tosses:

For 2 tosses P = 0.5
    For 4 tosses P = 0.375
    For 6 tosses P = 0.3125
    For 8 tosses P = 0.273

This probably doesn't help much and may well be total horse poop.
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Why does an omelette taste different to scrambled eggs when made with exactly the same ingredients?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Where do all the stars go during the day?
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Why does an omelette taste different to scrambled eggs when made with exactly the same ingredients?

30 seconds difference...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Aggieboy
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

30 seconds difference...

Love n hugs

DD

I'm talking omelettes, not those men in your life.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • DIESELDOG
    Aggieboy wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

30 seconds difference...

Love n hugs

DD

I'm talking omelettes, not those men in your life.

Yeah, yeah, not going to respond

Oh wait, hang on a minute

damn it...

Love n hugs

DD

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    CAPS LOCK

Why?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DIESELDOG
    nicklouse wrote:
    CAPS LOCK

Why?

'COS YOU CAN SHOUT...

Love n hugs

DD

• mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Who would win in a fight between the woodchucker and gumboiler :?:
  • chocothon
    chocothon Posts: 38
    Is leaving the central heating on all day on low, more economical than having it on from cold once in the morning and once again in the evening when you get home from work ?

• A mathematical proof is beyond me, not having done any statistics in 20 years or so, but put simply the number of combinations resulting in an equal number of heads and tails (given by the formula (n!/r!(n-r)! where n is the number of tosses and r is the required number of heads (or tails) ie n/2) does not increase as fast as the total possible number of outcomes (2 to the power n).
    What I can do as an illustration is give the probability of an equal number of heads and tails for the first few numbers of tosses:

For 2 tosses P = 0.5
    For 4 tosses P = 0.375
    For 6 tosses P = 0.3125
    For 8 tosses P = 0.273

See Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead for metaphysical discussion. The original includes the great line '78 heads in a row! What are the chances?' '50-50'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbInZ5oJ ... re=related
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    If a popular manufacturer of personal computers to diversify into sex toys, would they brand it "The Delldo"
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62

A mathematical proof is beyond me, not having done any statistics in 20 years or so, but put simply the number of combinations resulting in an equal number of heads and tails (given by the formula (n!/r!(n-r)! where n is the number of tosses and r is the required number of heads (or tails) ie n/2) does not increase as fast as the total possible number of outcomes (2 to the power n).

For 2 tosses P = 0.5
    For 4 tosses P = 0.375
    For 6 tosses P = 0.3125
    For 8 tosses P = 0.273

See Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead for metaphysical discussion. The original includes the great line '78 heads in a row! What are the chances?' '50-50'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbInZ5oJ ... re=related

Probability exactly 50-50 is binomial distn, and for n heads from 2n tosses,
    Pn = ( 2n )! / (n!)^2 x (1/2)^(2n)

So ratio for P(n+1)/P(n) = (n+1/2)/(n+1)

Since this is always less than one for all n in natural numbers, the probability is monotonically decreasing.

But since this is stats, we'd put a confidence interval around it, and then we get the opposite result. :D
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • Gizmokev
    Gizmokev Posts: 146
    Why did Jill go tumbling after Jack?
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Why do I need more than 6 bikes in the garage :?: :lol:
  • Aggieboy
    MingMong wrote:
    Why do I need more than 6 bikes in the garage :?: :lol:

Why have you put "more than 6" rather than a specific number?
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564

I'm amazed - the carbolic smoke ball company still exist :) Was the only bit I ever remember from the Law course I had to do back when I worked in insurance (Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company).
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • would a one legged duck swim in circles ? :?
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    What's the big idea?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • amun1000
    amun1000 Posts: 242
    Why does
    Wind always blow from....

and

Water flow to
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    where did you lose it?
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    RichK wrote:

I'm amazed - the carbolic smoke ball company still exist :) Was the only bit I ever remember from the Law course I had to do back when I worked in insurance (Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company).

I did O level Law. Why didnt Stevenson filter the ginger beer?
  • Sidi
    Sidi Posts: 21
    Why is hoovering a house hold chore but cutting the grass a hobby?
    Trek 1.7 08

Unshaved newbie roadie
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Ollieda wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    brin wrote:
    Why is 'Mr Universe' always won by a human?

Why a boxing 'Ring'?

Why does the 'World' series in Baseball only contain American teams?
    1) Don't know
    2) Don't know
    3) Because it was originally sponsored by a newspaper called 'The World'
    :D

Wow, as far as not reading above posts goes that was really bad!

The reason it's called the world series is because it was the World Championship Series and was intended that all baseball playing nations would enter their champion teams to take part. When it was created the only major baseball nation was the USA and due to their two league set up they effectively had two USA Champions so they began the World Championship Series as a game between them. There was (apparently) full intention to allow other nations to join the world series at a later date when a nation was of a good enough standard but AFAIK no-one has ever asked to join and now with over 100 years of only USA teams playing it is held in the public view as simply a USA only event.

We call it rounders over here.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Why have I got two smoke grenades in my desk drawer ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    chipandpin wrote:
    4kicks wrote:
    chipandpin wrote:
    flatneasy wrote:

2. Also if you throw a coin, the number of heads and tails will average out evenly over time.

So if you throw an unusually large number of heads, surely the tails have to catch up, to make (2) work.

The coin doesn't have any memory of the previous result so I don't think it would actually even out over time.

In fact, the more times you throw a coin the less chance there is of the number of heads and tails being equal.

Go on, explain that one to me. Ive done (and passed!) three statistics classes at Maths A level, University and an MBA and I cant figure why that one should be true...

this is a good one! I could be wrong and have no formal statistics training, so probably am wrong, but..... if you toss a coin once, the chance of getting heads is 1 in 2. flip it a again and the chance if getting tails is 1 in 2. BUT if you said you wanted to flip and heads AND a tails in two flips, the chance is 1in 4. the odds get longer the more flips you do.

For 2 tosses P = 0.5
    For 4 tosses P = 0.375
    For 6 tosses P = 0.3125
    For 8 tosses P = 0.273

The chances are still 50/50 (or as near as damn it) as each toss of the coin is an independent event.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Why do men have nipples?.
    jc
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    chipandpin wrote:
    4kicks wrote:
    chipandpin wrote:
    flatneasy wrote:

For 2 tosses P = 0.5
    For 4 tosses P = 0.375
    For 6 tosses P = 0.3125
    For 8 tosses P = 0.273

The chance of the number of coin tosses actually being exactly equal is small.

But in answer to the apparent disobeying of rule one...

Say you were throwing a coin 100 times.

Of the first 10 throws, you get 9 heads.

So 90% so far to heads

Then, the next ninety throws fall perfectly even 50:50

So final scores on the doors, 54:46

So tails hasn't suddenly worked harder to catch up, but nevertheless has.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live