2009 Carrera Fury

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    shukur wrote:
    kaytronika
    could you tell me where to buy the quick releease green lever from and what else will I need for a carrera fury bike. I presume this bike on the thread is your carrera fury bike right?

You dont need a quick release seatclamp-it just allows you to adjust the height of the saddle without using an allen key. If you leave your saddle height alone once its set, the allen key one that comes with a carrera fury will be fine. If you are regularly adjusting your saddle height on a ride, a quick release seatclamp or dropper seatpost would be easier.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I mentioned the seat clamp earlier in the thread when you asked about it before. It's a 34.9mm one that I bought on Ebay.
    I adjust my seat height quite a bit, but didn't want to throw money at a dropper seatpost.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • shukur
    shukur Posts: 155
    He's cancelled it, what a asswipe honestly. I got up this morning to go train station but I text him before hand and he goes, sorry but i sold it for £400.

I was like, well legally that bikes mine now because you made an invitation to offer and entered in to a contract and confirmed evidence in writing (text) and it's against the law to pull out without a valid reason to do so.

He goes I apologise mate.

£290 for a fury with £120 worth of accessories, I can't believe it, gone just like that!
  • shukur
    Ok, I'd like to ask something else, is there a major difference between a 20" and an 18" frame on a fury, the guy at the shop reccomended 18" because he said the bigger the frame the longer the reach and the worser ti is for your back, and because of what he said I have refused to by 20" furys off eBay even at cheap prices like £320.
  • kaytronika
    About 2 inches I think

How tall are you?

Just ordered some Superstar lock on grips for mine... Spoke with mechanic at Halfords on Friday about BB, very apologetic for delay in repairs to the bottom bracket... Looks like they're running down stock on the Furys too
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • shukur
    I never measured myself, I tried with a ruler but did it like 30 plus 30cm plus 30 lol never got to the top it was confusing.

im just under 6foot ..
  • kaytronika
    I'm 5' 9 to 5' 10 and ride an 18 inch frame.
    The Carrera does seem a tad smaller than the GT I ride.
    Go to a Halfords and try one.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • shukur
    He suggested I get an 18" frame so, thats my size. by the way, you have a nice bike fury, where did you buy it from, how much, tell me a bit more about it ..
  • kaytronika
    Got it from a local Halfords, paid £550 by reserving online. It was £600 at the time.
    Wasn't in the market for dealing with second hand sales.

What else?... Fork is better than anything I've owned before... That would be a 1995 Manitou Mach 5 and a Rock Shox Judy TT from 2003 so no real surprise... Bike is a confident ride on the trails. Relaxed riding position compared to my GT. Brakes are a revelation when compared with Tektro V-Brakes... I didn't think I'd get along with SRAM shifters, but find them really easy to use.
    The BB developed play after 200 miles and that has left the bike back with Halfords pending repair.. and that is where my issue lies, it's taken 3 weeks so far for them to get a Powerspline BB to replace the one that broke.

In the meantime I'm riding my 1994 GT Timberline FS which has the original 17 year old bottom bracket. There is a small part of me which regrets not just buying a nice steel Orange frameset and setting it up with a mid 90s XT groupset. But I already have two retro bikes. Oldest of which is a 1989 Saracen... Downhilling on that is a LOT of fun. Especially because the brakes are AWFUL
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • shukur
    whats a BB and whats a bottom bracket?

why didn't you just get a trek 6000 or 6300 or something, their much better aren't they?

ive heard a lot of bad reviews about the fury bike though when people have bought them from halfords. like the setup was bad or the bike became faulty after a while and so on

ive been trying to get one now for 6 months, no luck! any ideas?

im not paying £600, not worth it, I'll pay £250-£350 and thats pretty much about it because their coming down in price now aren't they?

I've heard you can put innertubes in where the tires don't bust, true?

and also, whats the bike like offroad, for example, if you used that bike for serious extreme offroading like through muddy fields or water or rocky hills?

and does the tyres get easily get puncutred because i've heard their tubeless rims or something, could you still put innertubes in them regardless of them being tubeless?
  • kaytronika
    Spec wise it is worth it. You won't get near with many other brands.

If you've been looking for six months and haven't found one for 300, that suggests that its worth more than 300. It is worth more than 300. I know what 300 gets you
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • shukur
    Well, it's just good branded parts on a basic frame isin't it? I mean, it's double butted all white, but the boardman is triple butted with a unique frame, big difference there they showed me at halfords, i had a hard time deciding which one to buy and realised the furys prices are falling quicker, but not because their rubbish, i just don't understand why,

also, its just me, when i see a bike cheap i hardly pay a good price for it i just try my luck and try to get it at the lowest price possible. sorry for the rudeness.

its just that last night he agreed £290 and didnt sell it to me this guy form local, then, a few months back one sold for £250 with no seat and pedals on eBay form a biker, and one sold for £320.

their nice bikes but, i don't want a bike that will give me constant problems, I like bikes with lifetime frame warrantys on them like trek or giant but, im not sure, the only bike I think that comes close to the carrera fury for just £100-200 more is the trek 6000, 6300, 6500 2010 and 2011 D E versions.

they look a bit bulky but im not sure what really, i havent had a bike for 5-6 years, my last carrera got nicked 4 years ago and before that didn't really have a bike since 2003.

I can't find a fury here on the classifieds though, any ideas?
    and why are people desperately buying them?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    shukur wrote:
    why are people desperately buying them?

Because it has a good, strong frame and much better parts than anything else around the £550 mark. It has better parts than some £800 bikes!
  • kaytronika
    I've never snapped a frame.
    If I snapped the Fury's frame I would just put the parts on a new frame.
    Not that I expect the Fury's frame to snap, it's not a jump bike so I won't be jumping it.

I would learn what a bottom bracket is before I go worrying about double and triple butting. That's only taking material from areas where tube strength is not required so much and putting it where tube strength is required. In my youth bikes were barely butted at all, just tubes welded to other tubes.. Bikes didn't fail then.

The Carrera prices will fall quicker simply because Carrera isn't a boutique brand like Trek or Specialized. People pay for names.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    shukur wrote:
    why are people desperately buying them?

Cheap, cheerful and they do the job well.

I think they're a fantastic bike for the money, but due to Halfords ridiculous 'sale' policy that they operate,
    that would be the £440 'sale' price sometimes seen rather than the anything upto £599 price depending on how the seasonal sales figures are looking.
  • jamienorton
    jamienorton Posts: 182
    anyone having the paint come off around that tiny pin hole on the juicy 3 levers, noticed it looked abit bubbly and then started to flake off, any problems with rust, or are they alluminium lever assemblys.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    anyone having the paint come off around that tiny pin hole on the juicy 3 levers, noticed it looked abit bubbly and then started to flake off, any problems with rust, or are they alluminium lever assemblys.
    I've had that happen, I'm not that bothered though as i'm changing the brake anyway.

Shukur- you're a legend for all the wrong reasons. brilliant! :lol:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I've had that happen, I'm not that bothered though as i'm changing the brake anyway.

Don't encourage the boy.
  • getonyourbike
    Briggo wrote:

Don't encourage the boy.
    sorry :cry: :oops: :)
  • jamienorton
    just noticed some play in my chainring and right side crank aswell, hopefully just a matter of tightening it back up, once i get the right sized tool.
  • getonyourbike
    just noticed some play in my chainring and right side crank aswell, hopefully just a matter of tightening it back up, once i get the right sized tool.
    yep, tighten it up and tighten it well. Lots of leverage, mine was loose but with an 8" long ratchet and socket it's fine now.
  • getonyourbike
    It's alright people, I 've signed him up for lots of spam :twisted:
  • jamienorton
    do you remember what size socket you used?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    yep, tighten it up and tighten it well. Lots of leverage, mine was loose but with an 8" long ratchet and socket it's fine now.

This is bad advice. A surefire way to wreck the threads beyond repair. I use an allen key and tighten it as far as it'll go with one hand and then turn it maybe another 1/4 turn by pulling the pedal towards the allen key. I'm weedy as hell but I've never had any issues with it coming undone.
  • kaytronika
    do you remember what size socket you used?

8mm allen key
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • kaytronika
    chedabob wrote:

This is bad advice. A surefire way to wreck the threads beyond repair. I use an allen key and tighten it as far as it'll go with one hand and then turn it maybe another 1/4 turn by pulling the pedal towards the allen key. I'm weedy as hell but I've never had any issues with it coming undone.

Are you on a powerspline BB? Normally I'd agree, but after doing this to mine the bolt came loose again. So I put a bit more pressue on it last time and all was well.. Until the BB died anyway :lol:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    kaytronika wrote:
    chedabob wrote:

Are you on a powerspline BB? Normally I'd agree, but after doing this to mine the bolt came loose again. So I put a bit more pressue on it last time and all was well.. Until the BB died anyway :lol:

Yup powerspline. Greased the threads as well. It's as tight when I remove it as it was when I put it on.
  • getonyourbike
    chedabob wrote:
    kaytronika wrote:
    chedabob wrote:

Yup powerspline. Greased the threads as well. It's as tight when I remove it as it was when I put it on.
    well when i didn't put that torque on it, it came undone again. If it was a decent chainset I'd agree with you but not with this truvativ one.
  • chrisjnr19
    chrisjnr19 Posts: 231
    Sorry to drag this out of the mire of forgotten posts, but "Shukur" despite the criticism you have received on this thread, I will do my best to offer you some advice :)
    Seeing as you are clearly a 'budget buying man/boy' I would recommend you purchase a Carrera Vengance or Vulcan from Halfords (yes, halfords do sell bikes) or even ebay for around £250... and RIDE IT!!!
    I've seen a great build on here in which the guy 1, Bought the bike 2, Rode the bike 3,Looked at what he wanted changing 4. Changed the parts 5. Ended up with 'HIS' (remember this) perfect bike... He ended up paying for the complete bike around £350 and this bike had some genuinely good components on it...
    I suggest you do the same and check this link out, as I think it will benefit you :)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12711662&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

btw Kaytronika, love the bike :)
  • jamienorton
    how do you guys have your rebound, ive not touched mine since buying, guessing its somewhere in the middle. Whats the thinking on rebound rate for rocky terrain ect. Or is it purely a personal thing.