2009 Carrera Fury

kaytronika
kaytronika Posts: 580
edited February 2013 in Your mountain bikes
I've updated this first post with a spec sheet and a couple of pics from the second page.

Picked this up yesterday and built it myself last night... As yet unpimped, just a bit muddy.

1.jpg

First time I've ridden discs, widest handlebar I've ever ridden, first time with SRAM shifters, first time on a fork that doesn't just pogo (or give me an inch of travel)
It's an absolute breath of fresh air to ride and it fits like a glove. Really glad I took the advice of those in the Buying section and bought this instead of the Kraken.

Typically, every time I buy a new bike it utterly chucks it down... Today was no exception. The weather was so bad last night that it knocked out all the power for Delamere cafe. I just fancied a cup of tea too.

Future plans? Ride it, break some bits... It does need a little customisation though. I'll pick a colour theme for replacement bits.

3.jpg

6.jpg

Spec:
Frame: 2009 Carrera Fury 18" 7005 T6 Heat Treated
Forks: Suntour Epicon 120mm w/ 15mm Thru Axle
Bars: Stock Alloy bar
Stem: Stock Alloy Stem
Headset: Semi Integrated stock
Grips: Superstar Excel w/ green lockrings

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Juicy 3
Front Caliper: Avid Juicy 3
Front disc: Avid 180mm
Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Juicy 3
Rear Caliper: Avid Juicy 3
Rear Disc: Avid 160mm

Shifters: SRAM X5
Front Mech: SRAM X5
Rear Mech: SRAM X5

Seat: Charge Spoon, Black w/ Chromo Rails *
Seat Post: Stock alloy
Seat Post Clamp: KCNC Z6 34.9mm in green *

Cranks: Truvativ Blaze Powerspline
Chainring(s): Truvativ
Chain: stock
Cassette: TBC
Pedals: Wellgo alloy platform
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Powerspline

Front Wheel:
Rim: Mavic XM-317
Hub: Formula 15mm thru-axle hub
Tire: Continental Speed King 2.3 inch

Back Wheel:
Rim: Mavic XM-317
Hub: Shimano TBC
Tire: Continental Speed King 2.3 inch

Other info:
I also fitted a lizard skin chainstay protector from my old bike.
* denotes upgrade

I haven't weighed it yet
--
'09 Carrera Fury
'94 GT Timberline FS
'89 Saracen Tufftrax

Comments

• lovely bike if i say so myself :lol: It always makes me happy when I'm faster both up and down hill than someone on a 2k machine.
  • I think I'll be a long way from being that fast yet :lol:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • kaytronika wrote:
    I think I'll be a long way from being that fast yet :lol:
    it won't be long. Try reading some articles on bikeradar:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/fitness/
    for technique, and fitness will come with time. Beating someone downihll is the best because you know its your technique overcoming their fancy bit of tech (not that I wouldn't like a bike like that :oops: :D )
  • As I first pedalled along I thought to myself 'They all say that the brakes aren't as good when they're not bedded in, I'll give them a quick try' and nearly launched myself over the bars.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • kaytronika wrote:
    As I first pedalled along I thought to myself 'They all say that the brakes aren't as good when they're not bedded in, I'll give them a quick try' and nearly launched myself over the bars.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Do the people who put Halfords bikes together ever actually tighten the bolts holding the chainset on?

I decided to tweak the shifting last night as it wasn't 100% smooth... Got the rear mech working sweet but couldn't get the front right, until I noticed the whole chainset was weaving about 1mm.

Should have checked that out of the box

:shock:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Speaking as a Halfords employee, if you took your bike in a box, then a halfords employee won't have touched it. So the responsibilty is on you to check all the bolts are tight! That's why we offer a free building service! If you still feel like blaming someone, blame the Taiwanese assemblers, but I doubt they care if a bolt is a bit loose!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • To quote myself
    'Do the people who put Halfords bikes together ever actually tighten the bolts holding the chainset on?'

Not blaming the employees of Halfords in store, they had no part in the construction of the bike. Apologies if it came across that way.

As I said at the end, I should have checked that out of the box.

Never mind anyway, no harm done.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • I had that same problem tbf, the cranks were loose. I got mine barely used for a lot less money. It arrived, with a loose crankset. I think the guy who sold it just didn't have a clue and he was just passing on the problem. Luckily we've got a nice socket wrnech in the garage and a 8mm socket. Lots of leverage too, so I put some torque in it and its been fine ever since.
  • Mmmmm teh green shiny

2.jpg
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Gonna get the black grips with green lock ons at some point, pedals a bit out of my price range :lol:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • shukur
    shukur Posts: 155
    that bike is nice, n where u get that green shiny from?
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    dot1 wrote:
    Speaking as a Halfords employee, if you took your bike in a box, then a halfords employee won't have touched it. So the responsibilty is on you to check all the bolts are tight! That's why we offer a free building service! If you still feel like blaming someone, blame the Taiwanese assemblers, but I doubt they care if a bolt is a bit loose!
    speaking as someone who has used halfords and also heard way too many horror stories about their mechanical prowess, im not saying every single halfords bike mechanic is terrible as i know they,re not but for every good one there must be ten hopeless ones. public opinion does not lie and a quick goolge about halfords service will back this up. i would rather have my bike assembled in taiwan than halfords.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Very nice bike man! Can't wait to see what it's going to look like with the extra bling added on!
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    good work, we need some pics now :)
  • shukur
    well, is it a quick release thing cos most bikes dont come with one these days, its the screw driver one? n do u kno anyone selling a carrera fury?
  • hey shurkur.Yes it is a "quick release thing" and your wrong most bikes do come with one as standard.Have you tried gumtree for a fury.

Kaytronica:its a very nice looking bike and the green goes seriously well
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • getonyourbike
    As standard, it doesn't come with a quick release.

I repeat, we need up-to-date photos.
  • kaytronika
    Next time I'm out on the bike I'll get a few new pics.
    Not much green added yet, it'll be added as I get spare cash.
    The bike came with a black allen key seat clamp, but I like to change height a lot so I invested in the KCNC green quick release lever.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • kaytronika
    As promised, a few new pics.

Pretty much stock right now, I'll replace stuff as it breaks.
    Starting with my cheapo cycling computer which I trashed earlier.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • kaytronika
    These Powerspline cranks don't half like coming loose.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • getonyourbike
    I used a 8" ratchet that we had in the house and the correct hex bit so that I could get lots of torque on it. It's stayed firm since.
  • kaytronika
    I took the Fury over to Llandegla today... It's made me realise what a nasty little beast this bike is :lol: It's like a devil on my shoulder willing me to try new stuff... I found myself riding the black route, drop offs, the shore jump... I've not really ridden stuff like that before... The bike handle it impeccably... Better than I did!

1.jpg
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • kaytronika
    Ball hats... Gave the bike a service today and found that the Truvativ BB has play in it after only a couple of months riding.
    Not impressed.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • kaytronika
    As we speak, in the furthest reaches of Mongolia a peasant is casting the rare earth ores that will go to form the Truvativ Power Spline bottom bracket spindle, while the asteroid carrying unknown alloys which will go in to the bearings descends from the heavens, crashing to earth.

Meanwhile, the true king of spanner monkeys at Halfords sets forth on a quest to pull the mighty Excalibur spanner and bottom bracket tools from the rock in which they were set.

The days pass, but a proper job cannot be rushed and this job will not be rushed.

I wonder how they'll get on installing a BB in to a fossilised Carrera Fury frame shortly after the next ice age?

:evil:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • kaytronika
    In the meantime, who needs 180mm discs and 4 inch of travel to have fun? Right? :)

3_193.jpg
    4_606.jpg
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • kaytronika
    All the current Furys are officially 2009 models, that's when the built was first specced. If you look on the website it says 'Carrera Fury 09'

I hear rumours that the range will be refreshed this year, but I wouldn't know when that is or if the spec will be better/worse/more expensive... That's a gamble... But you won't get better for £300!

Bike to work... I considered it, but the company officially owns the bike until you pay the final settlement which could be 25% of the cost of the bike.. In my company it just didn't seem worth it when the bike I wanted was a Saracen Mantra X and wasn't as good spec as the Fury but was £700.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • shukur
    kaytronika
    could you tell me where to buy the quick releease green lever from and what else will I need for a carrera fury bike. I presume this bike on the thread is your carrera fury bike right?