Silly Commuter Sportives 2011

12346»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ouch J be sure and get that checked out ASAP not that there's a fat lot of good they can do with broken ribs but even so you want to make sure it's hasn't done any other damage.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Strangely enough no gravel rash, probably because I had 3/4 bib tights under the baggies - ribs are painful but may be just bruising - as you say not a lot they can do anyway - thing that pi**es me of most is the chipped paintwork on the Duster
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Dragon Ride. Clock says 7hrs 13. No immediate pain but expect to pay for it tomorrow. Trying not to fall asleep on the way home.

Need a beer.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Asprilla wrote:
    Dragon Ride. Clock says 7hrs 13. No immediate pain but expect to pay for it tomorrow. Trying not to fall asleep on the way home.

Need a beer.

Trying to stay awake was a major chore. Think I was 7.16 with 10 minutes of stops. Didn't enjoy the ride - couldn't get comfy on the bike or find a rythmn. Bwlch didn't suit me.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JZed wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Need a beer.

Trying to stay awake was a major chore. Think I was 7.16 with 10 minutes of stops. Didn't enjoy the ride - couldn't get comfy on the bike or find a rythmn. Bwlch didn't suit me.

Ever heard of over training ...?

mmmm well come really, LEJOG then the Dragon followed by Marmotte - good job you've decided not to do the Magnificat.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    good job you've decided not to do the Magnificat.

I have an entry - giving it a miss though and going to Isle of Wight festival instead.
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    JZed wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Need a beer.

7.38 with about 25 mins of stops here. Loved it - best organised event I have been on and had some in the tank at the end so maybe could have gone harder.

The Macdonalds at the motorway junction was a godsend to help counteract all those energy products afterwards

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Medders wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Need a beer.

7.38 with about 25 mins of stops here. Loved it - best organised event I have been on and had some in the tank at the end so maybe could have gone harder.

The Macdonalds at the motorway junction was a godsend to help counteract all those energy products afterwards

Stopped at the service station and told the Mrs I could eat a scabby horse. She cam back with a Ginsters Steak Slice. Pretty bloody close.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Had an enjoyable if slightly soggy 85 miles through the Surrey hills with the missus on the Addiscombe CC sportive yesterday. Nice 'club' feel to the whole event, well organised and signposted. Found Leith and Whitedown much easier than on the Wiggle Ups and Downs 5 weeks ago.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    Had an enjoyable if slightly soggy 85 miles through the Surrey hills with the missus on the Addiscombe CC sportive yesterday. Nice 'club' feel to the whole event, well organised and signposted. Found Leith and Whitedown much easier than on the Wiggle Ups and Downs 5 weeks ago.

What time did you start, Keyser?

I did this too with a mate but we started a bit late (9am) as he's not really a morning person and only saw about 3 people for the rest of the day which meant we didn't get the usual fun competitive urges, nor any group riding. The weather didn't help much either for the last couple of hours and overall we were pretty slow and kinda miserable. I rode to/from the start too, to try to get the mileage nearer the marmotte total and had to sit in the bath for a LONG time to warm up when I got back. UGH.

I am consequently feeling v.discouraged about my riding, expecially as the b.....y marmotte is less than a month away. Maybe with more sleep in my body and more event adrenalin, it'll all be ok. Humn...

Addiscombe had organised it well, though, and the lasagne at the end was extremely welcome.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Chin up, Livvy. These miserable miles will pay off. All will be well for the marmotte.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    londonlivvy, 8.50am, finishing about 2.40pm. Saw quite a few people along the route, though mostly rode with just my girlfriend, going ahead on the hills and easing off afterwards to let her catch up. Kept on passing the same few guys and having to let them pass while waiting. The last few miles after Box Hill were pretty miserable as the rain started in earnest and the roads got busier.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    Chin up, Livvy. These miserable miles will pay off. All will be well for the marmotte.

+1. Always good to get a "miserable conditions" ride under your belt.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

+1. Always good to get a "miserable conditions" ride under your belt.

Fingers crossed. I guess we've been spoilt with the weather of late - I had so many of the miserable rides in Jan / Feb but had rather forgotten!