Silly Commuter Sportives 2011

Comments

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Sewinman wrote:
    Tour De Western Isles (my own Audax - Glasgow-Arran-Oban-Barra-Uists-Skye-Lochcarron-Torridon-Ullapool-Durness)

That sounds amazing - have you got a route planned?

That is it! Start in Glasgow,

Day1 - ride to Ardrossan, ferry to Arran camp near Lochranza.
    Day 2 - Ferry To Clonaig, road to Oban via Tarbert and Lochgilphead, ferry to Barra camp Barra.
    Day 3 - Ferrry to Eriskay, cycle South Uist, Benbecula, North Uist, Lochmaddy, ferry to Uig on Skye, camp Uig.
    Day 4 - Cycle skye, over bridge, Kyle of Lochalsh, Plockton, night at Lochcarron.
    Day 5 - Torridon, Loch Maree, Gareloch, night at Altbea.
    Day 6 - short one to Ullapool, night in Ullapool.
    Day 7 - final push to Durness, get met by friends, barbeque and party on beach.
    Day 8 - no cycling, stop half way back for more drink/food/rest.
    Day 9 - Glasgow.

Misses out Harris and Lewis, but the roads of Skye and Torridon are a real treat, the views amazing and the air clean and fresh. Can't wait. (Only downside is hell of a lot more midges on the mainland!)

Wow, an odyssey! Post up some pics when you are done.
  • JZed wrote:
    Anyone else from here in my number bracket?

Got my number through and I'm 5391 and have no intention of trying to keep up with JG and CJCP - intention is to just finish.

Cool. sounds like you've got quite a bit of training planned. I'm spending a week in Majorca in the spring which hopefully will be good hills training. And then will hope to get some rides in during the week prior to the marmotte as I got out the weekend before though obviously will have to be tapering - my favourite part of every training programme!

My intention is to finish, ideally in under 10 hours. This was a bit of an arbitrarily chosen number though so have no idea how realistic it is...
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Sewinman wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Tour De Western Isles (my own Audax - Glasgow-Arran-Oban-Barra-Uists-Skye-Lochcarron-Torridon-Ullapool-Durness)

That sounds amazing - have you got a route planned?

That is it! Start in Glasgow,

Day1 - ride to Ardrossan, ferry to Arran camp near Lochranza.
    Day 2 - Ferry To Clonaig, road to Oban via Tarbert and Lochgilphead, ferry to Barra camp Barra.
    Day 3 - Ferrry to Eriskay, cycle South Uist, Benbecula, North Uist, Lochmaddy, ferry to Uig on Skye, camp Uig.
    Day 4 - Cycle skye, over bridge, Kyle of Lochalsh, Plockton, night at Lochcarron.
    Day 5 - Torridon, Loch Maree, Gareloch, night at Altbea.
    Day 6 - short one to Ullapool, night in Ullapool.
    Day 7 - final push to Durness, get met by friends, barbeque and party on beach.
    Day 8 - no cycling, stop half way back for more drink/food/rest.
    Day 9 - Glasgow.

Misses out Harris and Lewis, but the roads of Skye and Torridon are a real treat, the views amazing and the air clean and fresh. Can't wait. (Only downside is hell of a lot more midges on the mainland!)

Wow, an odyssey! Post up some pics when you are done.

Have ones from last years trip to Durness (by mainland and Skye) though cannot post on here - they are on Facebook. But it was a fantastic trip, this one will be even better, if, and a big IF, the weather is decent.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Anyone else doing the Woodcote CX on Sunday ?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Sewinman wrote:
    Signed up for the Spring Onion to force me into some pre-spring training! I did it last year and it was en enjoyable course.

Places are running out fast.

http://www.thespringonion.co.uk/

Anyone else doing this?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Signed up for the Spring Onion to force me into some pre-spring training! I did it last year and it was en enjoyable course.

Places are running out fast.

http://www.thespringonion.co.uk/

Anyone else doing this?

Yeah, I'm signed up for this.

Todays training for marmotte consisted of this

New winter trainer

5398391866_5ba47497c8_m.jpg
    +

Climb up Cragg Vale

5398336010_ae70ed7994_m.jpg
    =

Views from the top of the Pennines

5397775291_cca06ac0c5.jpg

Only 30ish miles, but 3000ft of climbing.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Anyone else doing the Woodcote CX on Sunday ?

Yarp

What distance you doing?

I need to strip my CX er now and find out what's broken, still not 100% sure if i'm going to be physically able to complete 80km at the moment.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Given my current fitness I signed up for the 60k - are you CX or MTB
  • itboffin
    CX unless I find anything seriously wrong, I was tempted to take three bikes, road, mtb & CX but that would just be silly :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    I'm on the Cube on 700 x 28 Marathons - don't trust the Racing Ralphs - they seem to be pf magnets
  • itboffin
    I'm not going, just not motivated or well enough
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I'm now booked for the SRS Springtime Classic on 20th March and the Evans RideIt on 3rd April. So that's 70 miles and 90 miles. I'm currently typing this with a head full of cold when I should be out training so not the best start to my prep. Still, 6 weeks to go so time left to sort it out
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm on the Cube on 700 x 28 Marathons - don't trust the Racing Ralphs - they seem to be pf magnets

How was it ?

I popped out on the Pompino to see if I could harry any stragglers, but I didn't find any on my usual short route. I should have got my ar$e in gear and done this, but still need to fit new tyres and service hubs on the MTB. So I did battle with bathroom flooring instead :-(
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    Chopped a tree down in my garden and stripped my CX back to it's frame, BB bearings are shot that could I hope be the source of the noise.

Damn that bikes was dirty
  • Jay dubbleU
    Wow that was a toughy - made it OK but I've never seen so many totally knackered riders - the last off road section through the woods nearly did for me - couldn't get any grip on the tyres so I was spinning the back wheel. Perfect day for it - sunshine and light winds but very cold.

Look for 109 when the photos come out.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Serious question; I'm doing the Dragon this summer, but my crankset is a double rather than a compact. Even if I put a 11-28 cassette on the back am I going to end up as a pool of molten failure half way up a Welsh mountain?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    How cheeky is that http://www.trailbreak.co.uk/whyte_endur ... _id=110305 an event starting in MY village, did anyone consult ME

No! :evil:
  • Well, that's the Tour of East Lothian done, 65 arduous miles including the formidable Redstone Rig, possibly the most ridiculous climb I've ever done. Really crappy roads covered in mud and loose gravel.

Finishing time of 4 hours 10 minutes including stops at checkpoints. I am a broken elephant tonight.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    NIce one, UE
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    Serious question; I'm doing the Dragon this summer, but my crankset is a double rather than a compact. Even if I put a 11-28 cassette on the back am I going to end up as a pool of molten failure half way up a Welsh mountain?

I had a double with a 12-25 on when I did it. The second time up the Bwlch was a bit of a grind towards the top, but that was due to a lack of miles and sleep (no. 2 was born two weeks previously). You'll have to get a long cage rear mech if you fit the 28, won't you? You can borrow the 105 compact from my commuter if you want.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    NIce one, UE

+1. "broken elephant" :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Did I mention the headwind up Redstone Rig? It's a windy old place at the best of times, every house around there has it's own wind generator - and they looked ready to take off. Must have been easily 25 mph into my face. And an 18% gradient.

Ouuuuch!
  • asprilla
    Right, given that my riding buddy got hit by a car on Monday (brusied but bike wrecked, guy he was with has a broken collar bone) my planned 60 miles in the Surrey Hills is cancelled. Instead, since I was coming back from a short weekend in Dorset to ride, I'm staying in Dorset and doing the Ride to the Pies instead.

57 or 78 miles though the Dorset countryside with the promise of a nice hot pie at the end; what more could you ask for.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I've only got little ones planned this year, the Dragon and the Fred Whitton. And my targets? A sub 6 hour dragon and sub 6:30 Fred :o:o
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • asprilla
    Rode to the pie; 57 miles in 3 hrs 9 minutes. Happy with that. Pie was nothing to write home about.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rich158 wrote:
    I've only got little ones planned this year, the Dragon and the Fred Whitton. And my targets? A sub 6 hour dragon and sub 6:30 Fred :o:o

My only Fred based target is not to walk any of it :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

That'll be tough...
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    BigMat wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

That'll be tough...

You're not kidding, if I'm being realistic my main target is not to walk Hardknott, but then I will be on a standard with 12-25.

repeat to self.....I will MTFU and not use a girls gearing :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • asprilla
    Just checked the timing results for my first sportive. Turns out I accidentally was the quickest one round.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rich158 wrote:
    You're not kidding, if I'm being realistic my main target is not to walk Hardknott, but then I will be on a standard with 12-25.

repeat to self.....I will MTFU and not use a girls gearing :wink:

I'm thinking of something softer (27 or 28ish depending on whether I won't have problems with the short cage on one or the other). Whether I need it or not isn't the issue - I don't want to spend the whole ride worrying about it. I've been up Hardnott before on my heavy MTB and it seemed pretty straightforward - but that was after only a couple of stiff climbs before so not directly comparable.
    Faster than a tent.......