Silly Commuter Sportives 2011

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    JonGinge wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    That was hard work. 95 miles and wind didn't help.

Was aiming for 5 hrs 30, but only managed 5 hrs 40. Still good enough for gold though.

Happy.

Right, off to finish the remaining food in the fridge.....

Was this the wiggle ups and downs? Great day.

Yeah, was a nice day out (if you like wind and hills). ;)

Just checked the times and I was 5.46. A chap I used to work with came in 59 minutes quicker than me...

How did you get on?
    Good time, Asprilla. Your ex-workmate is a bit rapid, eh*?

* Although could have been part of a good group working together. It sometimes happens

He was on his own when he went past me like a scolded cat at the second feed station. He's properly rapid; the rows a t a high level as well and so probably has the legs and CV system of a medium sized flat racing stable.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Asprilla wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Good time, Asprilla. Your ex-workmate is a bit rapid, eh*?

* Although could have been part of a good group working together. It sometimes happens

He was on his own when he went past me like a scolded cat at the second feed station. He's properly rapid; the rows a t a high level as well and so probably has the legs and CV system of a medium sized flat racing stable.
    :lol: Fair enough. There's always someone faster
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Did the Ups and Downs too, pretty much spur-of-the-moment as our plans changed on Saturday night and we saw there were still spaces. First proper sportive and apart from a Box Hill run last summer first time in the Surrey hills/Downs. Went round with the girlfriend so was pretty slow but we weren't racing it for time and had extended breaks at the feed stops and a 25 minute puncture change when the tyre decided not to fit back on the rim then the pump played up. I had a pass to go up the hills ahead of her which was just as well as she was in her 30x27 on some of the hills and I couldn't stay upright at that pace on my 39x25!

Nice to get a hundred miler (extended it from the 95 just to tick off the three figures!) done and what great weather for it.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • asprilla
    Did the May Flyer this morning, but I only had enough brownie points to do the short course. 90km in 3.10 + some time for changing a puncture. Gutted about the puncture, I was on my way down one of the last hills having just skinned a load of people and 'fsssst'

I also think some folks got a little lost since I overtook a guy in a Marmite top and a group from Berrylands on the way up Coombe Bottom and then again after the feed station, and yet they didn't manage to overtake me again in between. I don't think they were the only ones either.

Anyway, good day out, but both I and the bike are filthy.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm getting worried now about the Magnificat in June, it's 127 miles and I've not ridden further than 68 miles in over a year :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    Asprilla wrote:
    Did the May Flyer this morning, but I only had enough brownie points to do the short course. 90km in 3.10 + some time for changing a puncture. Gutted about the puncture, I was on my way down one of the last hills having just skinned a load of people and 'fsssst'

I also think some folks got a little lost since I overtook a guy in a Marmite top and a group from Berrylands on the way up Coombe Bottom and then again after the feed station, and yet they didn't manage to overtake me again in between. I don't think they were the only ones either.

Good stuff, shame about the unscheduled deflation. CJ and I were in the Surrey Hills today on a bit of a 70 mile odyssey. We saw the same people several times during the ride...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm getting worried now about the Magnificat in June, it's 127 miles and I've not ridden further than 68 miles in over a year :?
    Just signed up!

Wouldn't worry too much. Before the Amstel my longest ride since the trip to Alps was 42 miles. I was nervous but it went ok. Pacing and nutrition were key.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    JonGinge wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Just signed up!

Wouldn't worry too much. Before the Amstel my longest ride since the trip to Alps was 42 miles. I was nervous but it went ok. Pacing and nutrition were key.

I've just spend the last 2-3 weeks boozing and eating like never before, net result considerable weight gain :cry:

Most of next week will be in the car and boris biking across London, boo!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:

Good pace. Conditions were hard going today. Did the bike feel better this time?

Know what you mean abt being filthy. And I'm shattered after that ride
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    @ITB - turbo trainer is your friend.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Asprilla wrote:

We seem to be doing the same rides. Felt awful in the morning, but good at the end. I think we did the long route in around 6:30, but rode as a small group stopping for a punctures, regrouping etc. Felt good enough to ride back to Balham, but dead now. Would a take-away ruin the good work?

Marmotte getting too close now and I'm mostly worried.
    exercise.png
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    @ITB - turbo trainer is your friend.

Yeh setting it up again for more 5am sprints :cry:
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:
    Good pace. Conditions were hard going today. Did the bike feel better this time?

Know what you mean abt being filthy. And I'm shattered after that ride

Bike was much. much better. I actually checked my fit documents and moved the saddle back 2mm and it was much better than it's been all week. It's amazing the difference such a tiny change can make.

I think I need to adjust my left shifter though. My scoliosis means one of my shoulders is slightly lower than the other and I think the shifters are set symmetrically and I'm resting too much on my left hand which can cause pins and needles.

It's not too bad, but if I can solve it it will be worth doing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I was meant to be doing the flyer but got up looked out the window and went back to bed. Did 3 laps once the sun came out but overall a bad weeks cycling - just crawled over the 100 mile mark.
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    @Jzed, Must admit I nearly joined you (not literally) by staying in bed after being kept awake half the night. Glad I didn't in the end as the weather perked up nicely.
    TheStone wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

We seem to be doing the same rides. Felt awful in the morning, but good at the end. I think we did the long route in around 6:30, but rode as a small group stopping for a punctures, regrouping etc. Felt good enough to ride back to Balham, but dead now. Would a take-away ruin the good work?

Marmotte getting too close now and I'm mostly worried.

Good going you two!

I thought the route was great. Quite a few lumps, scenic on the flat bits and pretty much traffic free (apart from a 1 mile traffic jam on a single track road just after the feed station at Amberley). They even arranged a tailwind coming home. I arrived home absolutely filthy!

I started late (9.45ish) and missed a turn within 10 miles of the start which meant that I didn’t see another bike once the routes split. A few soul-searching moments battling that headwind on my own. Formed a small group straight after the first feed stop which was soon down to two once it ramped up. We seemed to be perfectly matched so I was gutted when I pnuctured at the bottom of the climb out of Ewhurst. Knocked it out of me.

My comp died half way round, but my phone recorded it as 5:07. Unfortunately that doesn’t include stops or an unscheduled tour through Ripley. I fear I'll be lucky to scrape under 6 hours.

EDIT: 5:58 ... Get in!
  • <blatant_advertising>
    For people looking for an early June sportive and who have missed the Dragon Ride entry, may I suggest the first annual Addiscombe CC sportive. Not a bad route with some classic climbs and scenic lanes. I'll be manning the final feed station - mention SCR to get some free EPO. Or a jelly baby. </blatant_advertising>

Oh and it's for a good cause.
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Did the Black Rat sportive 100km yesterday in particularly windy and blustery weather. :? Up on top of the Mendips it was verging on the ludicrous. :shock:

Still pleased with a time of 4:00:18 although my onofficial timing showed 3:58 which suits me much better! :D Especially considering it was my first and included something like 3 Cat 3 and 3 cat 5 (or 1 x Cat 3, 2 x Cat 4 and 3 x Cat 5) climbs depending on whose mapmyride plot I refer to.

Brockley Combe, Harptree Hill, Cheddar, Butcombe Hill, Wrington Hill (Goblin Combe) and Tickenham Hill for anyone with a flicker of interest/knowledge of the area.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • asprilla
    Ok, so it's The Dragon this weekend and I'm mostly nervous. My riding partner hasn't made it following his off so I'm on my own.

Also, visiting friends in Brizzle the night before so I expect to still be drunk when I hit the start line.

Fun.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    Good luck. Make sure you get in a group across the Beacons.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:
    Good luck. Make sure you get in a group across the Beacons.

http://www.wiggledragonride.com/routes-200km.php

Hey CJ, it's a different route from the previous, not going across the Beacons this year.

Good luck Asprilla.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    Oops! :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:

To say I'm feeling apprehensive about it would be an understatement. I'll be content in getting around in 8 hours but that may be a bit optimistic.

Following a bike fit, saddle lowered by 18mm, stem flipped (I may flip it back after the Dragon), the seat adjustment seems better though.

Now just need to fit the engine.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    Good luck, mate. Let is know how you get on.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    Benno68 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:

To say I'm feeling apprehensive about it would be an understatement. I'll be content in getting around in 8 hours but that may be a bit optimistic.

Following a bike fit, saddle lowered by 18mm, stem flipped (I may flip it back after the Dragon), the seat adjustment seems better though.

Now just need to fit the engine.

Good luck fella, see you on the other side.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Bethany Sportive just done. 72 miles of rolling Borders countryside. Over a kilometer of climbing and some fantastic scenery. Bit nippy and windy today, but an enjoyable ride. Was with a group of colleagues, as our employer was sponsoring us. Great fun. So much so, we added an extra four miles with a navigation irregularity.
  • itboffin
    Bethany Sportive just done. 72 miles of rolling Borders countryside. Over a kilometer of climbing and some fantastic scenery. Bit nippy and windy today, but an enjoyable ride. Was with a group of colleagues, as our employer was sponsoring us. Great fun. So much so, we added an extra four miles with a navigation irregularity.

Nice work fella.

It's was a toasty 27-30c here in the South today, had to bail from my laps of RP to a suitable pub for much refreshment :roll: :lol:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Castles ride tomorrow- 28 miles over the Ridgeway - weather not looking too promising
  • itboffin wrote:
    Bethany Sportive just done. 72 miles of rolling Borders countryside. Over a kilometer of climbing and some fantastic scenery. Bit nippy and windy today, but an enjoyable ride. Was with a group of colleagues, as our employer was sponsoring us. Great fun. So much so, we added an extra four miles with a navigation irregularity.

Nice work fella.

It's was a toasty 27-30c here in the South today, had to bail from my laps of RP to a suitable pub for much refreshment :roll: :lol:

It was really nice here yesterday, however today was about 10 degrees. Wore arm warmers all the way round and regretted having taken mitts rather than full-fingered gloves.

Great day, though, average speed of 17.4 mph.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Interesting ride today - as in Chinese curse interesting - had a high speed off on a gravel road coming down off the Ridgeway and think I may have cracked a rib as I get pain if I beath in too hard- annoying thing was that I chipped the paint on the top tube - have to contact Charge and see if they've got any touch-up paint. Last and most exposed section of the route was against a headwind and driving rain - i must be mad
  • Interesting ride today - as in Chinese curse interesting - had a high speed off on a gravel road coming down off the Ridgeway and think I may have cracked a rib as I get pain if I beath in too hard- annoying thing was that I chipped the paint on the top tube - have to contact Charge and see if they've got any touch-up paint. Last and most exposed section of the route was against a headwind and driving rain - i must be mad

Ouch! Hope you don't have too much gravel to pick out.