Silly Commuter Sportives 2011

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
So now that I've got more into my cycling I'm going to enter some sportives in 2011. What, when and where have yet to be decided so help me make my mind up by posting what you're up to!
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Amstel Gold
    (maybe)Magnificat
    Marmotte

Look at me, I've gone all euro. Just waiting for the Castelli Spring/Summer kit to hit the shelves...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Considering the Jurassic Beast Epic (101 miles) this year, I love Jurassic coastline.

But the joys of being a cyclist without a car, you have to cycle to reach the start of most sportives! :lol:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    The Wiggle New Forest one was good last year, so I'll probably sign up for that (and I'll probably ride there this time..), there's the one the New Forest Rattler guys are doing from Fareham a couple of weeks before which also looks good. There's also a Wiggle one which is New Forest- ferry from Lymington- lap of IOW- back. That is very tempting.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I shall be kicking off the season with this...
    http://www.srs-events.cc/event1/event-details.htm

This was my first Sportive when I did it last year (53 mile course) and narrowly missed the Silver time with a puncture near the end.

Whilst 53 miles is not the challenge to me now that it was then I may still do that one as it would give a nice indication of my improvement over the last 12 months.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Butterd2, that looks like a good ride. I've seen some of the Evans ones too like Woking.

I think I need to book a couple of 50-60 mile ones for March/April and then have a 90ish one for June and aim for my imperial ton in July. Hmmm, choices choices...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Butterd2, that looks like a good ride. I've seen some of the Evans ones too like Woking.

I think I need to book a couple of 50-60 mile ones for March/April and then have a 90ish one for June and aim for my imperial ton in July. Hmmm, choices choices...

I also did one around Woking last year, can't remember if it was Evans or maybe Wiggle organised, also a nice route with some decent climbs.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:
    Amstel Gold
    (maybe)Magnificat
    Marmotte

Look at me, I've gone all euro. Just waiting for the Castelli Spring/Summer kit to hit the shelves...
    Ah, just got my Marmotte number through: 659, in the front group... *whimper*
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Amstel Gold
    (maybe)Magnificat
    Marmotte

And all the Castelli kit has been bought by Il Principe......
  • jonginge
    gtvlusso wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Amstel Gold
    (maybe)Magnificat
    Marmotte

And all the Castelli kit has been bought by Il Principe......
    Argh! *shakes fist*What is wrong with the world?
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I'm planning on doing the Tour of East Lothian in February, with the fearsome Col de Redstone Rigg thrown in. I'll also be doing the Bethany Edinburgh Sportive later in the year. And some proper racing at some point. :D
  • JonGinge wrote:

When did your Marmotte number come through? I haven't got mine yet - though I fully expect mine to be in the region of 5499.
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

When did your Marmotte number come through? I haven't got mine yet - though I fully expect mine to be in the region of 5499.
    I got mine this morning, it was helpfully in my junk folder. Chris got his last friday. I'm assuming they're processing alphabetically but also may be processing previous entrants first.

Before I found the mail in junk I'd already checked on the sportcommunication.info website. Click on Registrations, then enter you name in the red panel to the right and go through the login process. It should then show your marmotte entry. I tried that on Friday and it told me my entry was being processed and should try again today.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I'm now somewhat nervous about this weekends sportive, cold & wet is guaranteed, fitness in serious question.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I got mine this morning, it was helpfully in my junk folder. Chris got his last friday. I'm assuming they're processing alphabetically but also may be processing previous entrants first.

Before I found the mail in junk I'd already checked on the sportcommunication.info website. Click on Registrations, then enter you name in the red panel to the right and go through the login process. It should then show your marmotte entry. I tried that on Friday and it told me my entry was being processed and should try again today.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I have checked and am reassured to see that I'm pretty much where I'd thought I'd be (4563). There's a max of 5000 entrants, right?

Anyone else from here in my number bracket? Be nice to have a friendly face. The b/f will no doubt be up with you, Jonginge.
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I have checked and am reassured to see that I'm pretty much where I'd thought I'd be (4563). There's a max of 5000 entrants, right?

Anyone else from here in my number bracket? Be nice to have a friendly face. The b/f will no doubt be up with you, Jonginge.
    He's Cat 1 or 2 isn't he? I think he'll be ahead of me ;)

I think there were 7k entrants last year but maybe they cut it down. I may be wrong but I think only the front group is based on previous time. The numbering in the other groups is pot luck I think. Chris and I (and a number of other Wheelers) got lucky last year and were in the second group. (That could be coz we signed up at midnight on the day registrations open like the mad fools that we are.)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Signed up for the Spring Onion to force me into some pre-spring training! I did it last year and it was en enjoyable course.

Places are running out fast.

http://www.thespringonion.co.uk/
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I appear to have made an error in my planning:

Sunday 5th June: 200km Dragon Ride
    Sunday 12th June: Windsor Olympic Triathlon

I see my future, and it is pain....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Received my Marmotte entry number, but entered nothing else so far. I think I'm using up all my brownie points on a pre-Marmotte training weekend in the Alps. I'll then try to sneak out on Club runs to get some miles under my belt and try to enter some races to help with the speed. So, a slightly different approach being taken this year.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Etape Caledonia
    Trossachs Ton
    Glasgow 100
    Bealach (though on a solo ride)
    Cross Border (maybe)
    Tour De Western Isles (my own Audax - Glasgow-Arran-Oban-Barra-Uists-Skye-Lochcarron-Torridon-Ullapool-Durness)

Kinlochleven and Glen Etive sprint training, Tak Me Doon road climbing.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926

Anyone else from here in my number bracket?

Got my number through and I'm 5391 and have no intention of trying to keep up with JG and CJCP - intention is to just finish.

Planned sportives

Spring Onion,
    Grafton Water
    Friday night rides to the coast
    A few AMR 100's
    Dragon Ride

and 9 day LEJOG in May
  • jonginge
    JZed wrote:

Anyone else from here in my number bracket?

Got my number through and I'm 5391 and have no intention of trying to keep up with JG and CJCP - intention is to just finish.
    If it's the same as last year you'll be giving us a 50minute headstart ;)

I think the current plan is to get to Bourg some time on the wednesday before...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    I think the current plan is to get to Bourg some time on the wednesday before...

Yup. Those ham and cheese baguettes from the service stations were just fantastic. Mmmmmmm... baguettes. That's carb-loading, right?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    I think an hour or two spin on the friday is in order to recover from the blast up the Alpe on the thursday?
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    I think an hour or two spin on the friday is in order to recover from the blast up the Alpe on the thursday?

Yeah. Would be better than an hour or two drive, eh...

Perhaps a gentle saunter to the base of the Glandon?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    Maybe even a spin up the Glandon... (spin I say)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    Maybe even a spin up the Glandon... (spin I say)

Heh heh. Now, I was going to suggest this for the Thursday, too, but that and ADH would be too much. And I *really* want to get up ADH in under an hour.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Tour De Western Isles (my own Audax - Glasgow-Arran-Oban-Barra-Uists-Skye-Lochcarron-Torridon-Ullapool-Durness)

That sounds amazing - have you got a route planned?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Sewinman wrote:

That sounds amazing - have you got a route planned?

That is it! Start in Glasgow,

Day1 - ride to Ardrossan, ferry to Arran camp near Lochranza.
    Day 2 - Ferry To Clonaig, road to Oban via Tarbert and Lochgilphead, ferry to Barra camp Barra.
    Day 3 - Ferrry to Eriskay, cycle South Uist, Benbecula, North Uist, Lochmaddy, ferry to Uig on Skye, camp Uig.
    Day 4 - Cycle skye, over bridge, Kyle of Lochalsh, Plockton, night at Lochcarron.
    Day 5 - Torridon, Loch Maree, Gareloch, night at Altbea.
    Day 6 - short one to Ullapool, night in Ullapool.
    Day 7 - final push to Durness, get met by friends, barbeque and party on beach.
    Day 8 - no cycling, stop half way back for more drink/food/rest.
    Day 9 - Glasgow.

Misses out Harris and Lewis, but the roads of Skye and Torridon are a real treat, the views amazing and the air clean and fresh. Can't wait. (Only downside is hell of a lot more midges on the mainland!)
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    JonGinge wrote:

I want the headstart judging by the way you went off from the Morpeth that time, and I'd like a little more than 50 minutes.

Not yet sure when going to turn up a few days before sounds good but depends on how much of my holiday allowance the Missus allows me to use and accommodation - I had a look on the KW website and the hotel you're staying at is full, as are most by the looks of it.
  • cjcp
    JZed wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I want the headstart judging by the way you went off from the Morpeth that time, and I'd like a little more than 50 minutes.

Not yet sure when going to turn up a few days before sounds good but depends on how much of my holiday allowance the Missus allows me to use and accommodation - I had a look on the KW website and the hotel you're staying at is full, as are most by the looks of it.

You want to be there by Thursday, so you can settle in and register on the Friday.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."