Sufferfest

Comments

• manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    Anyway, I was doing Angels last night and just don't get some of the instructions in the second climb.

Don't increase effort, but stand up and increase cadence to 100 from 80.

Now for me, when I stand it is usually at a much lower cadence, not higher.
    Am I missing something here?
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248

Yeah, I have wondered about that too ( I also did Angels last night ).

What I think it means is that you increase cadence, but the force on the pedals is kept the same ( which means you are actually working harder ).

But it's not too clear.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I bought one of these, but only used it a couple of times because I hated the music. Of course I could just play my own music, but then I may as well save myself a few quid and not bother with the sufferfest vids (and do the workout I want to do as opposed to the short interval ones that seem to be the basis for all their workouts).
    More problems but still living....
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    Thought about all this and have made my own. All in HD with proper tunes (well i like them!!)

It's based around fartlek training and gave it out to a couple of club mates who actually enjoyed it.

Will be making more of my own soon. Not hard to make just time consuming.
  • robrauy
    robrauy Posts: 252
    amaferanga wrote:
    I bought one of these, but only used it a couple of times because I hated the music. Of course I could just play my own music, but then I may as well save myself a few quid and not bother with the sufferfest vids (and do the workout I want to do as opposed to the short interval ones that seem to be the basis for all their workouts).

You should perhaps try "The Hunted" if you don't want the short intervals ?? It's more like 50 mins of threshold work...

As for the music in most of the workouts - I'm not a great fan either, but I don't really notice it too much when I get in to a session.
  • Did the Hunted for the first time. Certainly not as hard as Angels. Well, it didn't feel like i was going to die afterwards and my heart rate didn't got to it's highest ever (210) at any point. Although maybe that's the type of workout it was offering. I preferred Angels, but will probably just buy them all anyway, ha.

I like them.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    Rokkala wrote:
    Yes i do use a turbo, but generally only when the weather is inclement or i'm doing something specifc. If i'm on it i focus totally on what i'm doing, even if that means listening the variation in my fans motor for 2.5 hours

Its only boring if you make it so.

Probably ok for those who haven't got much going on upstairs.

Ok smartarse - what do you do with your mind in a 100 or 12 hour when you cannot listen to anything under the rules ??? - I can assure you there's PLENTY going on up there in those sort of events as there is when i train...

You have moved the goal posts now, when I am out on the road I never have anything going on i.e. music due to concentrating on traffic etc, plus I do not want my ears blocked with ear phones as I want to hear traffic behind me.

However when I am sitting on my turbo in my garage facing the wall sufferfest helps break up the grind, to be honest I have a spin bike in another room which I was happy to use whilst listening to music but as others have said above Sufferfest vids come with great race footage which as a cycling fan I am an avid watcher plus you get commands on the screen telling you to attack, increase effort, stand, etc so its like having a coach there with me.

Each to their own mate, some like it, some dont but I think you will find if you look back you started with the insults.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    ManxShred wrote:

I just stay sat down and go up to 100+
  • bilirubin
    jonmack wrote:
    ManxShred wrote:

I just stay sat down and go up to 100+

+1, I stay seated for all my hill climbs when I am using the turbo/sufferfest, I think you will find a lot of others on here do as well.

The plan is when I tackle my first big climb in the spring out of the saddle I will fly like an angel :lol:
  • Broke my sufferfest cherry today with Fight Club. Loved it but I think my wife was slightly alarmed at the amount of sweat all over kitchen floor! I tried to attack in the saddle on the hill sections, I reckon the longer I can stay sat down on the hills will benefit me in the long run.
  • jonmack
    Anyone done Local Hero yet? I downloaded it today, gonna do it tomorrow I think. Have done The Hunted 3 times this week so thinking of sitting tonights out and hitting Local Hero tomorrow instead...
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    Been using Hunted as a modified 2x20 session , do it up the the end of the 4min descent, then flick back to the start of the climb. Focussing on cadence rather than giving it too much on the attacks.

It might sound tough but it's easier than those bloody intervals at the end!
  • bilirubin
    I reckon the longer I can stay sat down on the hills will benefit me in the long run.

+1, I am hoping it has the same effect on me.
  • robgodd
    robgodd Posts: 28
    Hi all,

I'd like to give these a go to spice up my turbo training, but I'd like to know just how important a cadence meter is?

I currently just use my Garmin with a heart rate monitor to stick to zones and get a pretty good workout. I assume Sufferfest + HRM + cadence meter would be ideal, but is it essential?

Cheers.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    A lot of sufferfest is short attacks to which an HRM won't respond quickly enough.

Speed and / or cadence would be a useful addition. Dpending on what Garmin you have they do a combined unit.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... DoQ8wIwAw#
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    I don't use a cadence, just go by feel. When they are saying an 80 cadence, I treat that as my normal riding cadence. Any higher, I just spin faster.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    +1 - this isn't a personally tailored training routine so when the requirement is for changing effort or cadence then you go with your own ability to match that best you can/want/need to.
    Something like +20 revs you could either drop the gear to keep the same effort or increase the effort by maintaining the gearing and upping the cadence. Depends on how hard a workout you want to do at that time.
  • Did local hero at the weekend- thought I was going great and then the never ending ' surprises' at the end kicked in!

Enjoyable none the less and as ever as tough as you want/need it to be..
  • Have they done one that simulates 5 hours in torrential rain and gale force winds yet ?
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwn :roll:
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    Have they done one that simulates 5 hours in torrential rain and gale force winds yet ?

No need, just take your turbo out of your garage and train on your driveway..

Oh, no better not, your neighbours will probably think you are a prize prick too..
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Did local hero at the weekend- thought I was going great and then the never ending ' surprises' at the end kicked in!

Enjoyable none the less and as ever as tough as you want/need it to be..

Wasnt that keen on local hero, too many long efforts - much prefer fight club with its sprints etc.
  • jonmack
    Local Hero really hurt...
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Did Angels a couple of days ago, had to walk up the last hill.
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    First time Sufferfest - did Angels this evening. The suffering began when it took 5 hours :shock: to download last night! It hurt, but I really enjoyed it. Liked the footage and the music and I was so focussed on watching/following that the hour seemed to pass pretty quickly.

I'm a newbie to turbo training and this was WAY better for me than writing out intervals and watching the clock. Will definitely download another.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    if you have no cadence meter but are using a bike comp. count how many times your one foot hits the same spot in 15 seconds then multiply by 4. once youve done this a few times each session and a few sessions you start to get a decent feel for it.(or just go and buy one :shock: )
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • on angels when schlek puts his thumb up to you, must respond by putting your thumb up back to him. Its in the rules.
  • Angels today for first time. Much pain on the middle climb bjut not too bad overall - obviously I wasn't trying hard enough.
  • jonmack
    I did Local Hero again last night, I definitely find it the hardest of the series.
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Been working away on Angels so far and looking to mix it up a little. Can anyone recommend a good Sufferfest Vid that will give me a different workout than Angels. Angels is good but want to mix it up a tad to keep it interesting.