Sufferfest

Comments

• Is it possible to write them to a DVD from I tunes or wherever it's stored on the computer?
  • You can burn them to DVD, but you'll have to convert it. You can download free programs that can do this for you.

I've just completed Angels for the first time, and all I can say is OUCH! I actually really enjoyed it, but my legs are pretty heavy now...

Which one would people recomend next?

Downward Spiral looks like it could be enjoyable.
    http://jbracedominate.blogspot.com/
    My Venture into Racing in 2011
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Although this might not work for you, I tend to do a week of one, a week of the other, so at the moment i'm on Downward Spiral, next week i'll either be on angels, or I'll give one of the older ones a go.

Downward spiral is excellent though, works you in a different way to Angels, but is still a total killer!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Downloaded Downward Spiral yesterday, started at 10.30am, finished at around 6pm!

Download speed around 80-90kbs, so I would guess its limited by Sufferfest server end??

Borrowed me brothers turbo, and had a go last night.

Very good, very hard.
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    Would something like angles be good for improving FTP?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    After downloading the Hunted on Tues night I tried this last night in the freezing garage.
    As I have a cough-thing hanging about I decided I would drop the effort level by about 1 and terminate after about 30 minutes.
    I actually rode for a total of 45 minutes and stopped after the descent off the long climb.
    I was a little irked by a couple of things :
    This DVD concentraced on 1 specific race stage in the main and within that the action was inconsistant - maybe I wasn't going hard enough but I noticed the race action jumped back and forwards so one section there would be 40 kms to go then there would be 10 then 20.
    The inclusion of the TT as the part where you were to ride like you were maintaining your breakaway also jarred a little.

Overall though it was a thumbs up - hopefully it will withstand repeated uses and I may use my own music too but using an alternative source for that would obviously mask the warning sounds for changes in pace.
  • jonmack
    Would anyone be interested in downloading the original 5 videos if I put them in a torrent on cyclingtorrents.nl?

EDIT: Figured I'd just put them up, if no one has downloaded them within a week or so, I'll stop seeding. PM me if seeding stops, it'll be best to download them overnight (between 11pm-6am) as that's when my internet gets the least use.

http://cyclingtorrents.nl/details.php?id=3138

EDIT 2: To whoever is currently downloading it, I'm sorry my upload speed is so poor!
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Just completed Angels for the first time. Great workout, similar in effort and duration to our winter club spin sessions but with nice video and my own bike under me. I've never been a great fan of my turbo until tonight but I got well into it and 75 minutes in the pain cave (cold conservatory) went rather quickly.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58988450

Is there a good way to use Garmin 500s indoors? Being a conservatory I had to turn the auto-pause off as it was getting satelites through the glass but was not starting the timer, and it only started picking up speed after 30 minutes. Maybe I bumped the sensor during an attack.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Awesome
  • jonmack
    Surfr, I'm not sure how similar the interface between the 705 and the 500 is, but on my 705 I can hit Menu > Settings > System and turn GPS to Off.

In all honesty I don't think speed is the best way to judge your performance, it's either by power meter (if you have one) or IMO, heart rate. HR is what I go on, and I seem to be improving quite a bit.

Funnily enough I just finished angels about 15 minutes ago, http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58991431
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I'm downloading them now john - Good man!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jonmack
    No problem! There's 15 of you downloading them at the moment, my upload speed is now unrestricted but because I've got a pretty poor connection the max I can get is about 40kb/s. Hopefully now there are more people downloading it it'll start to speed things up for everyone.

So once again I apologise for the slow upload, but there's nothing I can do, I hope you all don't mind waiting a day or so before you get your hands on them, and I'd really appreciate it if you could all seed as much as possible once you have got them!
  • jonmack
    Turns out I'm not allowed to put the sufferfest on cycling torrents and it's been deleted. Seems they're still able to be downloaded so once most of you who are at 68% are up to 100% then I'll have to stop seeding, sorry!
  • jonmack
    Right, I think at least 10 of you have got the vid so I'm going to stop seeing now, if you who have downloaded it could leave it seeding for the rest of this evening then the few others who are still on between 80 and 99% could finish getting them that would be awesome.

Sorry to those who were getting it from me when I stopped it, I hope you can still finish your transfers off, if not then please PM me.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Think they're all just as good mate.
    I've downloaded 4 recently. Did Revolver first and then Angels.
    They all offer different workouts so I guess it depends what you want to do.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I was too late for the torrent unfortunately, but thanks for uploading all the same :)
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I converted (burnt) the Sufferfest MP4 to a dvd, using a free download called AVI Video Converter 7.1.

It works fine.
  • I did Angels first, and was quite sore for the next few days. I really enjoyed it, although I didn't get through the last climb at full power.

I've got The Hunted to try soon (prob tomorrow) and then Fight Club.
  • jonmack
    I did Fight Club on Tuesday, really enjoyed it, will be doing it again tomorrow, although I'll be sure to set the resistance on my turbo a click higher than usual.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    just downloading the hunted atm. i got angels last week and really like it but want something to mix it up a bit, hopefully the long drags of the hunted will help come marmotte time.

its my first real go at hard winter training so i'll just have to see how it goes, ii won't be doing some scientifically developed training plan because i doubt i'd stick to, too many variables like weather (especially in jan/feb) and where my training buddies will be riding. most of my longer ditance training will probably be normal sunday ride with extra milage tagged onto the end and a few sportives.

[edit] anyway... the hunted finished downloading, took 4hr 20mins, i'll be on the trainer tomorrow so might give it a go, although i'll probably do angels again.

does anyone have any recommendations on how to mix them up? alternate or one week of each etc?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have been using Sufferfest videos for over a year now and they really help make a session interesting.

Lately their videos are bigger and the format doesn't work on an iTouch so you have to convert in iTunes, but my itunes has a bug and won't work so I converted it to .m4v format on my daughters system and copied it across and it works fine now.

I did the hunted for the first time this afternoon and it is a totally different workout, I liked the way it suggested a cadence which was very useful and I wish the others had that. I held it in a 53/11 for the 20 min climb and after about 10 mins it started to burn, all in all a good workout for 32 miles and 1 hour 1 min, makes a change from intervals.
  • jonmack
    Er... I'm bloody glad CyclingTorrents.nl took your post down!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

What makes you think that a thread started to promote the quality of The Sufferfest is an appropriate place to advertise a free download of something that David works very hard to produce!? The prices for the downloads are extremely reasonable when you cosider the exclusive footage and the quality of the session you actually get and they do not take very long at all to download if you've got a half decent connection.

It seems to me that you go against all the things that The Sufferfest stands for and and were just looking to gain a few cyber-buddies by giving them some freebies.

I've said my piece and will not say anymore on this subject to avoid flaming and inciting the admin wrath.

That is all!

sufferbanner.jpg
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way...

Ribble Gran Fondo
    Shimano 105
    CSN Superleggera XL50
    Speedplay X2
    Met SineThesis
    Sidi Ergo 2
    Garmin 705
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    To be fair to jonmack i think he only uploaded the ones that had previously been free, he didnt share any commercially available videos.

I (and many others) would happily pay for the old videos if they were available officially (i already have the others and need more variety for a winter on the turbo!). Presumably the reason they were removed from free download from itunes and are still unavailable now is because of the use of unlicensed content - someone sharing those videos shouldnt IMO be criticised nor considered in the same way as if someone was sharing the commercially available ones.and cheating sufferfest out of the sales.
  • I totally agree with the above post.
    If anything I feel jonmack should be applauded.
    I am generally quite sceptical, tight and no techno wizard.
    It's as a result of jonmack's help support and advice in sharing these earlier training sessions that I will be purchasing Angels this week and very probably the other four shortly after.
    I'd say "give the guy a medal"!!
    Rant over!!
  • jonmack
    StevieDexter, you have a PM.

Omar Little and Big Hairy Wallapers, thank you for your support.
  • jonmack and I have hopefully cleared up some issues.

I urge anyone interested in TheSufferfest.com to head of to the official website and purchase the new and officially licenced videos.

As supported by Cycling Weekly...

163683_472397011996_79774636996_6277724_988648_n.jpg

and the UCI...

165312_471806686996_79774636996_6270259_952130_n.jpg

Merry Christmas to one and all
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way...

Ribble Gran Fondo
    Shimano 105
    CSN Superleggera XL50
    Speedplay X2
    Met SineThesis
    Sidi Ergo 2
    Garmin 705
  • Got turbo for Christmas, used it once watching a movie for an hour and just keeping constant effort-ish just for first attempt. Then got Angels - now that really felt like a workout. Thought i was going to keel over a few minutes after i got off.

Over the summer my heart rate got up to 205 on hills, so assumed that was my max. This got it up to 210 - blimey.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/62120356
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    @ Timmyflash:
    How old are you? Thats a high Heart Rate. The most ive had mine was 180 and that was on the run of a triathlon in 2010. I was 27 then. 28 now.

Think the most ive had it on the bike was 175 going up Parbold Hill.

My max is supposed to be 184 based on the 'age' calculation. But dont realy know.
  • Tell me about it. I'm 29. I mentioned this to a coach yesterday (just someone i met, i don't have a coach) - he said it didn't really mean anything. But it still does seem pretty high to pretty much anyone else i've read about.

Does max heart rate come down as you get fitter?

Do people use heart rate zones to judge effort in the videos? I thought it was 'perceived effort', i.e. it says 8/10 so i was just guestimating. Although this does allow for off days when you just can't be bothered i guess.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    Dont realy know. Id have thought hving a higher max HR would get the blood pumping to your legs quicker, which would be a benifit. But i suppose it depends how good your lungs are aswel?

dont know