Students

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Unicron Vs Flippersaur

HEY! Don't mess with the classics.
    Unicron will always be this planet eating Transformers god from theTransformers animated movie.

yeah I know, I was basing the name on Uni from dungeons and dragons
    uni.jpg

but couldn't think of a better manipulation at the time
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I was accepted for Oxford...but I couldn't afford it...I had applied for various grants and scholarships, but any acceptances that I got from those were too late...I had to commit before they were ready to commit to funding.

My academic career before then had been...erm...up and down! Straight A's S Grades, no highers....but aced all the entrance exams and thrive in an interview. might have pulled the race card a little to be allowed to sit the entrance exams..but hey ho.

now fair enough....my circumstances were different than the majority....no family for support...no place to go home to in summer....poor me...blah blah.

There must be many others who either have been accepted at oxbridge, or would be accepted at oxbridge, who like me...could simply not afford to go.

Instead I went to Uni in Edinburgh (at an ex poly technic), worked full time at the same time, got a great degree (BEng Software Engineering) and am now happily paying off my student loans from my earnings in a career that I love and feel damned fortuntate and glad, that I had the gumption to get out and away from where I was and make life better for myself.

huzzah!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Ah yes, there is that little detail about Cambridge - you're not allowed a job in term time.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited November 2010
    will3 wrote:
    Ah yes, there is that little detail about Cambridge - you're not allowed a job in term time.

Same at Oxford, but lots did have them, and nothing was done to stop it.

Furthermore, you're only there 24 weeks a year, leaving 28 weeks for work.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The BBC wrote:
    What does the plan mean for students?

Students doing three-year courses charged at £6,000 will leave university with about £30,000 of debt - if courses go up to £9,000, debts will be closer to £38,000.

So that is more than most students doing similar courses have to pay. I would also need to see the percentage each month that you'll have to pay back. As I said I'm currently paying £200 on my loan which is now about £12,000. Triple that.
    The government says the lowest-earning 25% of graduates will pay less than they currently do. Half of all graduates will not have paid the full amount off by the time the debt is wiped out after 30 years.

I'll be interested in seeing how they came to that conclusion. Unless you have your fees or accomodation paid for by the Uni, some do this for students coming from low-earning families. That person would still have to pay back the student loan.
    Students coming from households earning less than £25,000 will be about £700 a year better while studying, off according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies.

Again I would need to see the numbers/sums.
    According to the government's analysis, the highest earning 60% of graduates will pay more under their plan than they would have under Lord Browne's proposals.

So basically, should my brother want to go to Uni, or should I have kids and they want to go to Uni. They will have to pay back more. I have a problem with this of course.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    edited November 2010
    will3 wrote:

i believe it was more about the difference in cost of living.......being very inexpensive in the westerhailes area of edinburgh :roll:

and did you read the bit about not having a parental home to return to in summer?

tried renting a property in edinburgh for a summer? :roll:

*edit...wait...i might have had a sense of humour failure there....did you mean to be sarcastic, or was your comment serious...that you are not suppoed to have a job if studying at oxbridge?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DonDaddyD
    whyamihere wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I went to Uni in the Midlands. Interesting people.

Still my accomodation was paid by my student loan, which I'm still paying back now £200 per month. My tuition fees were paid seperately as my loan wouldn't cover it. I worked at H.Samuel and Ernest Jones for the duration of Uni to pay my living costs.

I don't think the student loan will cover the increased tuition fees.
    I'm at uni now.

The amount of loan received is dependent on the income of the parents, but everyone is able to get the basic level of loan. This entirely covers tuition fees and gives another loan for living expenses. For people coming from poorer households, a bigger living expenses loan is available, with some of this loan substituted for a grant. The grant means that the loan received by students from poorer households is actually smaller than the minimal loan available to everybody, even though they get more money.

I'm currently living off my loan/grant, with no significant financial aid from my parents. They may slip me £20 every so often, but I pay my rent, food, utility bills, etc. The loan covers this easily.

When the new fees come in, the amount of loan for the tuition fees will rise by the same amount that the fees rise by. Students will not have to find £20,000 up front to go to university. The system will be the same as it is now, just with bigger numbers.

Yes the number is bigger and with cuts, inflation and increasing living costs.... you can see where I'm going. Where do you live/go to Uni and what course for it all to be covered by the loan, which will increase which means you'll have more to pay back.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    will3 wrote:
    Probably quite a few others too (Lit's just posted about Oxford). Who reads the smallprint of their metriculation documents? I was contracted to 40hrs/week while on my fizzix course at uni. Who knew?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    From Viz to tips:

DAVID Cameron. Whilst in China, enquire as to how best to deal with student protests.
  • DonDaddyD
    that DDD's jaundiced vew would have them miss.

spouting the same sort of guff that DDD is

You lost me at these bits. Does this mean we should resort to Mum cussing now?

:roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    edited November 2010
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Still my accomodation was paid by my student loan, which I'm still paying back now £200 per month. My tuition fees were paid seperately as my loan wouldn't cover it. I worked at H.Samuel and Ernest Jones for the duration of Uni to pay my living costs.

I'm at uni now.

The amount of loan received is dependent on the income of the parents, but everyone is able to get the basic level of loan. This entirely covers tuition fees and gives another loan for living expenses. For people coming from poorer households, a bigger living expenses loan is available, with some of this loan substituted for a grant. The grant means that the loan received by students from poorer households is actually smaller than the minimal loan available to everybody, even though they get more money.

I'm currently living off my loan/grant, with no significant financial aid from my parents. They may slip me £20 every so often, but I pay my rent, food, utility bills, etc. The loan covers this easily.

When the new fees come in, the amount of loan for the tuition fees will rise by the same amount that the fees rise by. Students will not have to find £20,000 up front to go to university. The system will be the same as it is now, just with bigger numbers.

Yes the number is bigger and with cuts, inflation and increasing living costs.... you can see where I'm going. Where do you live/go to Uni and what course for it all to be covered by the loan, which will increase which means you'll have more to pay back.
    I live in Birmingham, going to the University of Birmingham, studying physics. I live within walking distance of the city centre.

The tuition fee is covered, as I said, by a loan. In addition to this, I get around £3500 in a maintenance loan, and about £1300 as a grant, giving me £4800 to live on for the year. This clearly isn't enough to live extravagantly, I have to be frugal, but living in a shared house with other students and being sensible with my budget, this is enough to cover everything I need. You're now going to argue that this would be nowhere near enough to live in London. Probably not, which is why students attending a London university get a higher loan/grant than those living outside.

My debt at the end of my 4 years will be around £28000, for combined tuition fees and living expenses. Someone studying for a 3 year course, with £6000 fees and £3500 a year maintenance loan will graduate with £28500 of debt.

You'll forgive me for not crying them a river.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    ketsbaia wrote:
    From Viz to tips:

DAVID Cameron. Whilst in China, enquire as to how best to deal with student protests.
    Can't have Challenger IIs rolling down Whitehall, it's just been resurfaced.
  • jonginge
    whyamihere wrote:
    I live in Birmingham, going to the University of Birmingham, studying physics. I live within walking distance of the city centre.
    <aside>Does Ted Forgan still wear red shirts?</aside>
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    JonGinge wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    <aside>Does Ted Forgan still wear red shirts?</aside>
    I've never seen him in anything else...
  • DonDaddyD
    whyamihere wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm at uni now.

The tuition fee is covered, as I said, by a loan. In addition to this, I get around £3500 in a maintenance loan, and about £1300 as a grant, giving me £4800 to live on for the year. This clearly isn't enough to live extravagantly, I have to be frugal, but living in a shared house with other students and being sensible with my budget, this is enough to cover everything I need. You're now going to argue that this would be nowhere near enough to live in London. Probably not, which is why students attending a London university get a higher loan/grant than those living outside.

My debt at the end of my 4 years will be around £28000, for combined tuition fees and living expenses. Someone studying for a 3 year course, with £6000 fees and £3500 a year maintenance loan will graduate with £28500 of debt.

You'll forgive me for not crying them a river.
    bloody students, you try and defend them and they throw it back in your face. Don't know your born you lot!
    Food Chain number = 4

• jonginge
    grammar! *grumble, grumble*
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    At my university we used to spend all morning in the classroom then the afternoons learning a multitude of ways of killing people, in the evening we'd kick back and relax in the mess playing drinking games, eating excellent meals and pretending to be posher than each other.

thank you all for your contribution to my education, although I suspect most of you on here are to young to have contributed (exp GregT & 66).

Bring back national service, shoot anyone who resists, strikes or generally disagrees with ME!

:twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    will3 wrote:

Although if you are doing a proper degree, like wot I wuz, you won't have time to do a job as well. Those who did take on a job generally didn't do to well as they couldn't put the hours in. I was the in the last year to not have to pay tuition fees, but didn't qualify for any grant. I was fortunate enough to have my living costs modestly funded by my parents, with holiday jobs (mainly hospital cleaning) making up any extra
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    will3 wrote:

Although if you are doing a proper degree, like wot I wuz, you won't have time to do a job as well. Those who did take on a job generally didn't do to well as they couldn't put the hours in. I was the in the last year to not have to pay tuition fees, but didn't qualify for any grant. I was fortunate enough to have my living costs modestly funded by my parents, with holiday jobs (mainly hospital cleaning) making up any extra

I wouldn't know, a) I didn't finish mine, and b) I didn't work! However, a friend who did engineering worked throughout, as did another doing theology and one doing something about the brain. I've forgotten the word. Begins with a P.
  • rjsterry
    Just looked at some of the latest pictures. I was struck by a small number of masked vandals smashing stuff up, entirely surrounded by photographers and camera crews. I remember seeing something similar in the coverage of the G20 protests. You begin to wonder whether some unscrupulous editors are paying a couple of local thugs to kick things off.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    on balance the 2 years I spent in uni were a bit of a waste (diploma, no degree) but did open the inevitable doors to get me where I am (it helped with the fate part), doing pretty well in a job I have no further education in, lucky with an employer that can see what your good at rather than relying on what you've learnt.

if it was 6 grand a year (it was 15 years ago, inflation and all), I would never have got, my parents wouldn't have access to 4 years of that kind of money and working only just covered living expenses.

Protesting, go for it, it's one of our rights (and there's less of those every day), not too keen on the wilful property damage.
    FCN 12
  • Josh was beginning to have second thoughts about challenging the policeman to test his new impact-resistant watch...

article-1328385-0C006CC0000005DC-561_634x505.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    I assume English universities have the same tradition as here in NI of a Wednesday half day.

Maybe the could do what I did and get a part time job, you know instead of rioting.

Lazy Feckers
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Lots of hooded types around the back of Millbank Tower tonight. Didn't look very student-like walking on all fours.

It's not good that the police were seemingly out-numbered in the way they were. They should have been given more support, assuming that was possible.

Send in the fire engines and their high-powered hoses. (If they don't get free education, they will at least get a wash.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    I assume English universities have the same tradition as here in NI of a Wednesday half day.

Maybe the could do what I did and get a part time job, you know instead of rioting.

Lazy Feckers

You assume incorrectly, at least from my experience.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    ketsbaia wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Or more simply that some people love a good riot, and a protest provides them decent cover to do so?

Innit.

article-1328385-0C006CC0000005DC-561_634x505.jpg

Well,

I actually work at the University and so I saw these students congregate in Malet Street for their march. (I remember the old days, when the miners marched down Malet Street during their strike, will a brass band and everyfing... but I digress.)
    This one had been taken over by the Socialist Workers Party, a gang of Marxists who will use any protest at all as a front and start trouble where they can. That "F**K FEES" banner was being handed out by SWP activists to the students and I'll bet you a year's subscription to C+ to an old copy of the Metro that it was the SWP who started the trouble this time.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    rjsterry wrote:

Lazy Feckers

I think you've been had

Google Fu suggests Wednesday afternoon is set aside for sport.

The 'Sitting on Their Feckless Ar5es watching Loose Women' team is a banker for 2012
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jonginge
    rjsterry wrote:

Lazy Feckers

I think you've been had

Google Fu suggests Wednesday afternoon is set aside for sport.

The 'Sitting on Their Feckless Ar5es watching Loose Women' team is a banker for 2012
    indeed. Did fizzix and even with 24+hrs lectures and tutorials we had Wed afternoons off...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm quite happy for fees to be increased, providing it's based upon how important the course is to the national economy:

Engineers - Free
    Geologists - Free
    Doctors - £3,000 per year
    Physicist - £1,0000 er year

Media Studies - £10,000 per year
    PPE - £50,000 per year

And so on....

+1 - a degree should be hard work - not an excuse to doss for three years
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Like LiT, I dropped out of uni. Really wish I didn't and was considering going back to do something very different (Aerospace Engineering rather than Civil Engineering), but with fees being what they will be, I'm not sure I will be able to afford it.

I was one of the last students to get a full grant (and a maintenance loan) and I have to admit, I saw uni life as a paid holiday.
    I got paid to drink and shag for a few years.
    It was great, but if I were to go back now (even if I didn't have to pay) I would have a very different attitude and work ethic. I feel sorry for students now that have to live on a tighter budget and the knowledge that they will come out of uni with a large debt and a devalued degree.

Seeing my nephews go through uni over the last few years illustrates how hard things are going to be.
    Both lived at home (in London) rather than going elsewhere partly due to cost.
    Both worked all through college and then uni to supplement their loans.
    Both have come out of it with debts in five figures. This is partly due to their choices of course needing expensive equipment (if they studied literature all they would have needed would be a library card).

I can see some merit to charging different fees to for different courses, but who would decide what is worthwhile? Buckminster Fuller knew nothing about allotropes of carbon, but his work inspired Buckyballs. Who knows where someone's studies will lead?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!