Still in shorts?

Comments

• Anyone wearing just shorts on their legs this morning is mental.

That is all.

that'll be me then :)

t'was a bit nipply this morning to be fair
    FCN 8/9 (I think)
  • Bit fristy this morning but only casualty was the thumbs - no winter kit at the gf's was interesting but buff saved the day...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    from the top down....hat, lid, s/s compression top, l/s fleece lined top, gilet, full-finger gloves, lycra shorts, long tights over, booties

so glad i opted to leave the mitts at home this morning! plus i had last nights bottle of rouge still coursing through me which always helps :D

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    I was in just shorts until I chickened out on monday and I doubt that'll happen again until sometime in March. I haven't got any full finger gloves though I never usually feel the need.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    feet almost thawed out..... will have to look at this again, might abandon the cleats and go back to toestraps, as I have some hiking boots which saw me through last winter.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Anyone wearing just shorts on their legs this morning is mental.

That is all.

Well you know that Kieran :D

It was my ears that suffered though, need to find my Gore Ear warmer... Legs, fingers were all OK - Baggies, liner, t-shirt and old sweatshirt did the job
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I dug out my buff for this morning as well - ideal piece of kit: up the neck and over the chin, pulled over the BACK of the head to cover the ears and keep the forehead clear.

This way you keep yourself warm where it's needed but with a cooling breeze at the front to help with the sweat. Worked perfectly.

The only problem I had was with my fingers - I had my thinner full finger gloves on and my hands didn't warm up properly until I'd done about 7 miles - the temperature really dropped when I cycled out into the country
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt Posts: 475
    absolutely, still shorts for me (including a rather muddy mtb night ride last night). i don't really feel the cold on my legs, not until it approaches frost temps.

toes on the other hand..........need some overshoes!
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • Kieran_Burns
    kona_matt wrote:
    absolutely, still shorts for me (including a rather muddy mtb night ride last night). i don't really feel the cold on my legs, not until it approaches frost temps.

Ummm.... 1C IS frost temps. the grass was white this morning and people were scraping ice off their cars. Pools of water had ice forming on them and there was frost.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • kona_matt
    kona_matt wrote:

Ummm.... 1C IS frost temps. the grass was white this morning and people were scraping ice off their cars. Pools of water had ice forming on them and there was frost.

it's grim oop north :wink: no frost daaan saaaf yet
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That's it. Knees and arms will now remain under cover under at least March.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Surely going out in shorts this time of year means that you don't need your post-ride ice bath to aid recovery, as you've already half frozen your legs to death?!?! Most people I see in shorts in October onwards are in too big a gear too, just to add that He-man effect.

My ideal temp range for shorts makes me think I may be the only cold-blooded mammal (read Mamil?)

BP.
    If it ain't fixed, it's broke...

Boardman Pro MTB
    Cannondale SM 2000
    2 or 3 fixie's....
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    kona_matt wrote:

Which bit of the saaarf are you in? Sunny Aylesbury was F**king cold this morning, plenty of frost. And I was in shorts. What a tw*t... :cry:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Getting into single digits this morning, but still no need for anything more than baggies and tshirt.

Low singles and i might start digging out the 3/4s
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • kona_matt
    SecretSam wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

Which bit of the saaarf are you in? Sunny Aylesbury was F**king cold this morning, plenty of frost. And I was in shorts. What a tw*t... :cry:

sunny essex 8) commute 13 miles benfleet to chelmsford
  • Yep, still shorts here - Swindon during the week.
    First frost this morning, so a bit parky....

I feel it in my fingers first, so no fingerless gloves from now on I recon, plus I won a downhill ls shirt in a raffle last week so am wearing that rather than the ss top.

All people are different, but I tend to need warmth on my arms rather than legs as the legs are obviously working hard, so next thing to go on will be a jacket or more likely get a merrino base layer.

Still in shorts on night rides in the woods where the temp really drops... :
  • kona_matt
    I feel it in my fingers

ok, now i can't get that damn wet wet wet song out of my head, thanks :evil:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    kona_matt wrote:
    I feel it in my fingers

Yep, me too

I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes. Frost is all around me and so the feeling goes...

or summat
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    JonGinge wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    I feel it in my fingers

Yep, me too

I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes. Frost is all around me and so the feeling goes...

or summat

Oh you insufferable bast*rds

It's in my head! IT'S IN MY HEEEEAAAADDDD..... :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    kona_matt wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

Does that mean you have the joys of dealing with sadlers farm roundabout(s)? don't envy you if so.

I originally hail from the shining beacon of a town that is 'bas vegas'
    Hat + Beard
  • kona_matt
    hatbeard wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:

Does that mean you have the joys of dealing with sadlers farm roundabout(s)? don't envy you if so.

I originally hail from the shining beacon of a town that is 'bas vegas'

oh no, not a chance! i'm actually in thundesley, very close to the weir roundabout so take a route through rayleigh (my own home town), battlesbridge then the old A130 all the way to chelmsford
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I buckled under the pressure this morning. Put my tights on for first time. Halfway to work I'm regretting it as the sun was out. Still a little chilly but... sun.. sunshine.. happy days!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    JonGinge wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    I feel it in my fingers

Yep, me too

or summat

Wet Wet Wet? Pah! I've got the theme tune to Ballamory going round in my head.

No I would not like to know what the story is in Ballamory :evil:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kona_matt
    rjsterry wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    I feel it in my fingers

Yep, me too

or summat

Wet Wet Wet? Pah! I've got the theme tune to Ballamory going round in my head.

No I would not like to know what the story is in Ballamory :evil:

arrrrgggggghhhhh, that's even worse!

that's it, earphones in, good music on, no more visiting this thread
  • 3/4 Endura Humvees for me. Strangely, I've never had my legs be so cold it gets uncomfortable, even when MTBing in the Lake District in the depths of winter. It's possibly I may have to upgrade to long sleeves on the arms however...
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Gore Windstopper jacket, Altura Thermastretch gloves. SS top under jacket with a Ronhill base layer type thing under the SS top but the combination of no zip on the Ronhill thing and a courier bag sternum strap makes getting cooling air onto my chest hard. I was wearing baggies with kneewarmers on my legs in case you were wondering :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Time to raid the wardrobe and get the sub-zero gear out. Bloody cold when I got the newspaper wearing a t-shirt.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Frost on the car this morning. Might have to reconsider my plans for shorts all the way. Else can I get a note from someone to say I can stop commuting over winter?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    redvee wrote:
    Time to raid the wardrobe and get the sub-zero gear out. Bloody cold when I got the newspaper wearing a t-shirt.

First day of Winter Wrap Up for me - annoying, as I try to keep in shorts until the clocks change at least.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Yeah if the weather stays like it is today I might have to break out the knee warmers