Still in shorts?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
So...it's getting chillier and the warm clothes are out...but who's still a dedicated shorty and who's bottled out?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Russ68
    Russ68 Posts: 5
    Shorts in the cold is very bad for the knees, why bother?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Been wearing 3/4s all the time, only added knee warmers to the mix. Up top is long sleeve or shortsleeve with armwarmers so far.
  • you need another category....shorts sometimes/legs tucked up sometimes.....I'm in that category. it really depends on the temperature outside, and whether I'm having a pootle or whether its raining. mostly I'm in shorts. I've not voted as I don't fall into any of the 3 categories, well not neatly anyway!
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    Always shorts 8) .

Even when wearing tights underneath!!!
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Problem is: it's tights on the way in ('cos at 6:15 it's bloody chilly!) but sometimes (usually) shorts on the way home.

However - this week it may well be tights to and from.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • This morning was the first tights day of the year... I am full of cold, and it was very early
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Might think about getting some unlined tights to wear under the shorts (am currently optoin 2: shorts + knee warmers - but the damn knee warmers keep slipping) - any recommendations? Don't care if I look a total plank, nothing new there

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • For the commute I wear work clothes which includes trousers.

But for fun, ie MTB/roadie I wear shorts all year around can't say I get cold to be honest!
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    today was first tights' morning with my Baa Baa top (just love the warmth & comfort of merino wool) - will be shorts on the way home though.
  • Still wearing shorts in Durham, although I wore a l/s jersey and a softshell jacket today.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    3/4 with a base layer under the LS shirt
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I'm frequently riding in at 4.45am or riding home at 10.15pm. Still in shorts (well, baggy 3/4s over lycra shorts, which is my usual clobber), had one day in tights last week when it was v. cold and wet.
    Rules are for fools.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Always in shorts, I just vary what goes underneath, prefer not to budgie smuggle on the commute :lol:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Shorts for me, though was thinking it was getting cold enough for knee warmers today. Have cracked and wearing long sleeved t now...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The deciding factor me was feeling like I had cramp in my thighs last week. They were really cold in the wind and I kind of got the hint, so dug out the Winter kit in preparation.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Was in tights a couple of days last week, but was slightly too warm.
  • Tights in, it was bloody cold at 6am. Shorts on the way home.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I pulled a muscle in the top of my righ calf so went into 3/4s last week to keep it warm.

Would have gone into 3/4s this morning in any case as it was proper chilly.

Also went into a softsheel jacket and longsleeved too this morning for the first time this year.

And a snood for my neck

And little toe cap things for my shoes.......
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Yep, 'fraid I went for the tights and l/s merino top this morning.

And the full (i.e. not fingerless) gloves. :shock:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i was in shorts today but my god did i regret it.

buff might be coming out this week as well
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've been wearing kneewarmers in the morning for ages, most of the summer in fact!

If the temp is below 15 degrees I stick the kneewarmers on anyway.

Felt the cold in my quads last thursday but winter tights boil my chest anyway. Might have to get some waist tights for autumn.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Shorts with baggies over the top, winter boots and a Rapha stowaway jacket over my SS jersey, was plenty warm enough despite having to stop and repair a f@cking p@ncture!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Friday was the first day back into tights, this morning was the first day into fleece lined tights. Looking at the weather forecast I think tomorrow is going to be bib tights! All with baggies over the top
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Full finger liner gloves this morning - not quite winter glove cold yet. Long sleeve base layer and sportswool jersey. That's the most I've worn for a long time but didn't feel anywhere near cold enough for tights yet - shorts at least until November I reckon. Might try knee warmers this year - any recommendations?
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,823
    Got arm/knee/leg wormers from the on-line CSC shop a few years ago, theyre excellent and are Giordana brand. Light fleece lining so not super-thick but I reckon these 2 items are sufficient to keep the legs sufficiently warm for most of the chillier parts year.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Depends on the shorts! Too cold for just lycra for me, but 3/4 length baggies are fine.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I thought whether I should have been in tights on the the way in this morning, So may be I will soon.

Not time for the skull cap yet though
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Shorts here, fished out the long sleeved top for the first time this morning, though.
  • Actually wearing my ctc cap to stop the comedy pad imprints on my forehead...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Wore shorts one day last week & decided it's time to put them away for the winter. 3/4 shorts now out with bibless longs on underneath now for me.
    There is no secret ingredient...