Contador tests positive for Clenbuterol

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Kléber wrote:
    Everyone can believe what they want. Some want to imagine it was just a dodgy steak and kidney pie, others are suggesting blood doping and more.

Actually folks, we don't know.

Maybe we could dunk Contador in a pond? If he floats, he's guilty but if he sinks and drowns then he's innocent. OK?

Sounds good.

Now where are them concrete SIDIs?
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    It was all the fault of the caddish gap-toothed bounder Terry-Thomas

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/spo ... 009303129/
  • As if he can talk, the cheat.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Sonny73 wrote:
    He would say that, wouldn't he. His plans for next year rely on Contador, there's no Plan B. He can't do much else.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    gutted about this and want to believe he is innocent. He certainly wasn't at the levels he usually performs at all tour and surely if he was doping he would have attacked more like he used to.

Seems they are a bit inconsistent with contamination with some getting away with it and others not.

With amounts this low why not just keep this under wraps until it has been resolved rather than drag the sport through the mud
  • surista
    surista Posts: 141
    The director general of Wada, David Howman, told The Associated Press that testing positive for even the most minute amounts of clenbuterol could be enough to sanction an athlete, although he declined to discuss the specifics of Contador's case.

"The issue is the lab has detected this," Howman said. "They have the responsibility for pursuing. There is no such thing as a limit where you don't have to prosecute cases. This is not a substance that has a threshold.

"Once the lab records an adverse finding, it's an adverse finding and it has to be followed up.

"Clenbuterol is a substance that has been used for over 20 to 30 years. It is not anything new. Nobody has ever suggested it is something you can take inadvertently."

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"
    http://blue-eyed-samurai.com/cycling/
  • surista wrote:
    I'm sure he was gambling that he wouldn't be tested on the rest day, having been tested for the last few days prior.

When was the last time the leading riders weren't tested on the rest day?
  • 2 problems for the defence:

1. if the incident is unprecedent in athletics what could Contador be eating that no-one else does
    2. if the population at large were so tested, what is the percentage that would produce a similar result? If zero then Ooops!
  • sherer wrote:
    With amounts this low why not just keep this under wraps until it has been resolved rather than drag the sport through the mud
    Isn't that what they've done??
    He was tested during le tour. If he's officially suspended discussions like this are bound to get out and chewed over by every man and his chien.
    Its the first step in banning him and stripping him of his Tour title - intentional/guilty or not.
    Can I upgrade???
  • Said he was the only rider on the team tested the day they ate the meat ....
  • surista
    My thoughts exactly - this was kept under wraps for two months. Slightly different from the case where the cheating TdF winner was American, when it was leaked in a week.

• Contador is the most high profile, most successful and highest paid cyclist in the World at the moment with a great future ahead of him. For him to take a minute amount of this drug, the downsides are HUGE the upside is TINY. Common sense says that he wouldn't want or need to dope.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deal wrote:
    Marginal gains... ;)
    Or perhaps trace remains from earlier use... :wink:

but doesn't that contradict your scientific evidence from Willy Voets?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Contador is the most high profile, most successful and highest paid cyclist in the World at the moment with a great future ahead of him. For him to take a minute amount of this drug, the downsides are HUGE the upside is TINY. Common sense says that he wouldn't want or need to dope.

What's the weather like on your planet today?

This positive makes no sense but there are a lot of very good reasons for him to dope.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Contador is the most high profile, most successful and highest paid cyclist in the World at the moment with a great future ahead of him. For him to take a minute amount of this drug, the downsides are HUGE the upside is TINY. Common sense says that he wouldn't want or need to dope.
    Eh? He may not be doping but your logic is flawed. Almost all the top cyclists have cheated in past, mainly because nobody could catch them. Remember, many of those caught get rumbled because of small mistakes, eg Vino because of a blood mix-up.
  • surista
    Hmm. I can't be the only one that thought AC didn't look as strong as usual at this year's TdF. He looked almost vulnerable at times, and if Andy Schleck is able to hang with him during the climbs... Remember, the margin of victory was exactly the amount Contador took when attacking after Andy lost his chain. Taking a little bit o' somethin' somethin' to get a better recovery before the Tourmalet...actually seems very very plausible.

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

Life in the FF Bubble.
  • surista
    The Spaniard added he ate the meat on 20 July and again on 21 July and called the UCI's suspension of him "a true mistake," at a specially arranged news conference in his home town of Pinto.

If true, and if the meat was tainted, the second day's test would have about the same amounts, not a smaller amount.

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Thanks for the spoiler on the World TT champs result a few posts back numb nuts.

There goes my fun evening sitting down to watch that with a bottle of vino and my giro TT pointy hat on .. . .
    Same here, though it's distracting when the pointy bit snags on the sofa.

I thought I was avoiding all possible sources (not an easy task) then you needlessly throw into an unrelated thread. GRRRRR!

Returning to the subject, it does lead to more doubts - brings to mind the pathetic way he handled doping-related questions in a press event at the last Tour. @frenchfighter if you can live through this you can cope with anything. Reminds me of the key lyric from The Stranglers' No more heroes.

....though the defence presents the brilliant Emma Pooley. Case dismissed.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Given that the rest day before the Tourmalet would be exactly the time for a quick transfusion, and a transfusion with contaminated blood could lead to the miniscule positive I'd be very very interested to see exactly what his blood levels were doing.... Did they just do urine tests?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204

Since when has common sense had any place in pro cycling. You will no doubt recall both Landis and Vino blasting accross French terrain charged to the eyeballs when they were bound to be tested as stage winners! Who knows the motivation- maybe he was scared by Schleck being that close to him.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    There are always reasons for pros to dope, always. There are many oddities to todays bits of news though -
    why would Contador risk so much for such a small dose?
    would his team not have made double sure during the TdF he didn't eat anything contaminated?
    would Ricco really still keep verboten pills in his house when there's an investigation going on and his brother in laws house has just been raided? Even he can't be that stupid, especially not with Vacansoleils contract conditions...
    what were Mosquera and Garcia actually positive for?

we'll just have to wait a bit...
  • Iain and Kleber. Please explain the upside? Please also explain your take on that risk/reward ratio?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Simon E wrote:
    Thanks for the spoiler on the World TT champs result a few posts back numb nuts.

There goes my fun evening sitting down to watch that with a bottle of vino and my giro TT pointy hat on .. . .
    Same here, though it's distracting when the pointy bit snags on the sofa.

I thought I was avoiding all possible sources (not an easy task) then you needlessly throw into an unrelated thread. GRRRRR!

Returning to the subject, it does lead to more doubts - brings to mind the pathetic way he handled doping-related questions in a press event at the last Tour. @frenchfighter if you can live through this you can cope with anything. Reminds me of the key lyric from The Stranglers' No more heroes.

....though the defence presents the brilliant Emma Pooley. Case dismissed.

yes Cancellara won the TT and at the same time you ladies dropped your handbags full of knotted knickers.

Emma Pooley - just because she seems like a gritty rider who works her butt off, does that make her clean? Give me a break. What planet are you on? What makes her different from any male doper?

Jamie Burrows was a gritty rider as well...at one stage.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Interesting comment by Lemond for those who like conspiracy theories

I can’t believe how many people have left a certain team and then gone positive

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lemond- ... r-positive

In this case i think he is referring to a two-person team rather than an actual racing team, ie not referring to Conty leaving Astana.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2010
    At no point during the Tour did he look like someone who doped. No ET performances.

Cancellara and Millar:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5840/ ... -soon.aspx

As usual Millar talks a lot of sense.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Iain and Kleber. Please explain the upside? Please also explain your take on that risk/reward ratio?

Imagine someone has been doping for 5 years and never been caught. Why would they stop?

They'd think the risk was low but the reward was very high indeed. Look at Kohl's example - 100 tests, 1 positive when they should've all been positive. Those are some decent odds.

We don't know, but logic tells us someone who rode for Saiz and Bruyneel is probably quite "professional"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • surista wrote:
    The Spaniard added he ate the meat on 20 July and again on 21 July and called the UCI's suspension of him "a true mistake," at a specially arranged news conference in his home town of Pinto.

If true, and if the meat was tainted, the second day's test would have about the same amounts, not a smaller amount.

That would depend on the timing of the tests, surely?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    interesting that according to this thread not all tests are performed on all samples. Do the cyclists know this and just gamble that they can get away with taking x as it is only tested one time in one hundred.

As the race leader he knew he would be tested just a shame no other Astana rider was to back up the food claims.