Contador tests positive for Clenbuterol

Comments

• SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    edited September 2010
    iainf72 wrote:
    Iain and Kleber. Please explain the upside? Please also explain your take on that risk/reward ratio?

Imagine someone has been doping for 5 years and never been caught. Why would they stop?

They'd think the risk was low but the reward was very high indeed. Look at Kohl's example - 100 tests, 1 positive when they should've all been positive. Those are some decent odds.

We don't know, but logic tells us someone who rode for Saiz and Bruyneel is probably quite "professional"

+1

Apparently LA tweeted something along the lines of 'now it all makes sense' on Aug 24. If he was referring to this how would he have known?
  • surista wrote:
    The Spaniard added he ate the meat on 20 July and again on 21 July and called the UCI's suspension of him "a true mistake," at a specially arranged news conference in his home town of Pinto.

If true, and if the meat was tainted, the second day's test would have about the same amounts, not a smaller amount.

That would depend on the timing of the tests, surely?

And more importantly, the amount of meat eaten. Perhaps he had a double steak the first day and a light beef salad the second ...
  • I'm glad none of you lot are judges and hope none of you ever sit on a jury.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/tour-de-france-bans-terry_thomas-201009303129/

'The food spiking controversy comes amid renewed calls for cycling to be phased of The Tour de France as it is now easily the least interesting thing about it.'

Satirical yes but so true nowadays.
  • For clarity's sake I'm assuming that the contaminated blood transfusion theory works so - AC uses Clenbuterol at some stage, out of competition and during a window when dope testers could be counted on not to come knocking.....at some point soon after this AC has some blood taken and stored for future use as (presumably) limited autologous blood transfusions can still go untraced - but they have miscalculated how much clenbuterol is still in his system - this blood is used on the 2nd rest day of the Tour......and the rest, as the say, is history.
    Sounds more plausible than the 'dodgy burger' defence
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    SunWuKong wrote:

Apparently LA tweeted something along the lines of 'now it all makes sense' on Aug 24. If he was referring to this how would he have known?

That refered to Floyd's whistle blower suit I think.

Also, it's a misperception they only test for a limited set of things. They don't.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    SunWuKong wrote:

That refered to Floyd's whistle blower suit I think.

Also, it's a misperception they only test for a limited set of things. They don't.

Thanks for clarifying Iain.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    SunWuKong wrote:

surely this would all be confidential and LA would know nothing about it
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,873
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Damsgaard has said on Danish telly that contamination from a blood transfusion is a likely explaination.

Ian, how surprised are people in the know?

Some seem suprised, others not.

It's odd though.

odd that people are surprised he is a drug cheat or surprised he was caught?

(I'm slightly surprised he was caught)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Common sense says that he wouldn't want or need to dope.

oh come on

top 10 on gc in the tour

(top 180 if you like)

who would you give a pass

its a handful of guys I believe in and there I think I'm kidding myself.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    For clarity's sake I'm assuming that the contaminated blood transfusion theory works so - AC uses Clenbuterol at some stage, out of competition and during a window when dope testers could be counted on not to come knocking.....at some point soon after this AC has some blood taken and stored for future use as (presumably) limited autologous blood transfusions can still go untraced - but they have miscalculated how much clenbuterol is still in his system - this blood is used on the 2nd rest day of the Tour......and the rest, as the say, is history.
    Is it plausible? We don't know and I think some are wiling to believe what they want to believe. If you think Contador's a bit dodgy then this is a "well finally" moment, if you think he's riding clean then this is all about the steak.
  • SKY might be thinking this is good news, especially if you have predicted a tour winner within 5 years ????

possibly ....

or withdrawing from the sport completely ..
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Common sense says that he wouldn't want or need to dope.

oh come on

top 10 on gc in the tour

(top 180 if you like)

who would you give a pass

its a handful of guys I believe in and there I think I'm kidding myself.

so does this mean without the drugs they are all as slow as me and have to walk up most hills :D
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Iain and Kleber. Please explain the upside? Please also explain your take on that risk/reward ratio?

If he's been doping in his career to now (as may well be the case) and he stops, he'll cease to be the World's Greatest Cyclist TM. Bye bye fame, money and FF's affections. Why not keep doping. If you get caught the result is the same, but you think you won't get caught.

All depends on whether you think he's been clean all along.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I read that Contador bought the meat from Spain, any elaborations as to why?
  • iainf72 wrote:

Really? They run the full gamut of tests for each sample? I was always under the impression they jsust ran a few of the more common ones.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Because it contained clenbuterol! :shock:
  • For clarity's sake I'm assuming that the contaminated blood transfusion theory works so - AC uses Clenbuterol at some stage, out of competition and during a window when dope testers could be counted on not to come knocking.....at some point soon after this AC has some blood taken and stored for future use as (presumably) limited autologous blood transfusions can still go untraced - but they have miscalculated how much clenbuterol is still in his system - this blood is used on the 2nd rest day of the Tour......and the rest, as the say, is history.

+1 He's always disappearing into the hillsfor 3 months either side of Christmas right? Perfect opportunity for blood storing and a bit of bute on the side for keeping lean... just got the wrong day...
  • Sonny73 wrote:

Well when you order a steak in France you're never quitre sure if it's going to be beef or horse - best to be on the safe side ;)
  • surista
    surista Posts: 141
    I'm glad none of you lot are judges and hope none of you ever sit on a jury.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/tour-de-france-bans-terry_thomas-201009303129/
    Sheesh, lighten up a bit; I'm pretty sure we'd all have slightly different glasses on if we're sitting in the jury chair as opposed to leaning back in our Lazy-Boys sipping a cold frosty one.

I fully reserve the right to form my own opinions when I'm in the court of public opinion. Slightly lower standards than if I was in a court of law...

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"
    http://blue-eyed-samurai.com/cycling/
  • Quote text I read that Contador bought the meat from Spain, any elaborations as to why?

Simple really. This whole food contamination issue is being looked at the wrong way. It's the cattle that are being bred solely for the purpose of juicing up the riders snacking on the meat (no pun intended). If the cattle are juiced then the riders always have the food contamination get out...The thought of small herds of cattle being bred specifically to juice riders makes me laugh

:wink:
  • mididoctors
    sherer wrote:

so does this mean without the drugs they are all as slow as me and have to walk up most hills :D

no and not even if you took the drugs and they didn't
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its one step further on from Kobe beef. Performance enhancing steaks.... Nom nom.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    yes Cancellara won the TT and at the same time you ladies dropped your handbags full of knotted knickers.
    No knickers knotted here thanks, so your condescending response is unwarranted. I had merely hoped to watch the TT without knowing the result. Is that so bad? I guess it is.
    Emma Pooley - just because she seems like a gritty rider who works her butt off, does that make her clean? Give me a break. What planet are you on? What makes her different from any male doper?
    Evidence? Oh I forgot, you don't need anything so obvious to post that kind of trash :roll:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Footage of the press conference now on BBC website.

He looks like a man genuinely pissed off to me.. I dont like him and I have tried, but it sounds like the UCI have fluffed this up..
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I really want to believe he is innocent.

But the whole story is just too far-fetched. It just smacks of being made up.

• It could ONLY have come from some tainted meat
    • That was brought in from Spain by a friend
    • And the ONLY other person from the team that got tested at the same time was Vino
    • Who conveniently didn't eat any of the meat 'cause he had already eaten

(The whole story neatly wraps everything up in a bow to explain why no other rider on Astana or any other team tested positive. It's what a lawyer would call "reasonable doubt")

If you believe any of it at all of course.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Kléber wrote:
    For clarity's sake I'm assuming that the contaminated blood transfusion theory works so - AC uses Clenbuterol at some stage, out of competition and during a window when dope testers could be counted on not to come knocking.....at some point soon after this AC has some blood taken and stored for future use as (presumably) limited autologous blood transfusions can still go untraced - but they have miscalculated how much clenbuterol is still in his system - this blood is used on the 2nd rest day of the Tour......and the rest, as the say, is history.
    Is it plausible? We don't know and I think some are wiling to believe what they want to believe. If you think Contador's a bit dodgy then this is a "well finally" moment, if you think he's riding clean then this is all about the steak.

Damsgaard thinks the transfusion theory is plausible.

http://sporten.tv2.dk/article.php/id-33 ... ml?forside

google translate:
    - If the date is correct, then it is more likely that it is a Landis (the doping convicted cyclist Floyd Landis, ed.) It will say that he has received a transfusion of his blood taken out a few months earlier, when he spent clenbuterol, which he has gotten back into the body, writes Rasmus Damsgaard in an SMS to TV 2 Sport.
  • iainf72 wrote:

Really? They run the full gamut of tests for each sample? I was always under the impression they jsust ran a few of the more common ones.

This might be of interest, was discussed a few months back on here - WADA develops single test for 241 small molecule metabolites:

http://www.physorg.com/news197551548.html

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 4/abstract
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Pokerface wrote:
    Let's not forget the REAL story here: Andy Schleck may just pick up his first TdF win after all. 8)

I was just thinking that myself :D
  • sherer wrote:
    As the race leader he knew he would be tested just a shame no other Astana rider was to back up the food claims.

"...the only rider who also had doping controls performed on July 21 was Alexandre Vinokourov, and that the Kazakh didn't have any of it [the contaminated meat] because he had dinner earlier that day."

How unlucky can you get?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited September 2010
    Sonny73 wrote:

I'm assuming this is to help explain why no other rider tested positive for the same thing. If it had come from 'local' tainted beef - then presumably all riders at the same hotel would have ingested the same food.

But because this infected beef was brought in special - only the Astana team members who ate it had access to it.

Conveniently - the only other Astana rider that was tested at the same time was Vino - who didn't have any of the magic beef as he was already full.