Contador tests positive for Clenbuterol

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If I were the Giro organisers I wouldn't let anyone ride who is undergoing a courtcase which could render all this years results void.

Wasn't that one of the Pro Tour rules when it was first introduced? Teams couldn't sign a rider coming back from suspension for a further two years, and riders couldn't race while there was an doping case open on them.

The trouble with the RCS attempting to bar Contador is that Saxo Bank would probably take it to CAS and Saxo Bank would probably win. Just like when the TDF tried to bar Astana a few years back. If the rules say Contador is eligible to ride, and Saxo Bank pick him... there's not much RCS can do about it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    afx237vi wrote:
    If I were the Giro organisers I wouldn't let anyone ride who is undergoing a courtcase which could render all this years results void.

Wasn't that one of the Pro Tour rules when it was first introduced? Teams couldn't sign a rider coming back from suspension for a further two years, and riders couldn't race while there was an doping case open on them.

The trouble with the RCS attempting to bar Contador is that Saxo Bank would probably take it to CAS and Saxo Bank would probably win. Just like when the TDF tried to bar Astana a few years back. If the rules say Contador is eligible to ride, and Saxo Bank pick him... there's not much RCS can do about it.

So how did the ASO stop Boonen after his cocain positive?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    So how did the ASO stop Boonen after his cocain positive?

Because the first time (2008), he didn't bother to challenge the decision, so it stood. Second time (2009), he did challenge it and he was allowed to ride.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    Aha.

Fair enough.

You'd think I'd have known that.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    CAS saying it's unlikely they will reach a decision before the Tour starts:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cas-con ... -de-france
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pokerface wrote:
    CAS saying it's unlikely they will reach a decision before the Tour starts:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cas-con ... -de-france

Woo hoo.

We can now watch a true champion rip it up in the Tour.

And then watch as his victory is ripped up 2 months later. And lots of "Tour de Farce" headlines.

That said, I think I'd prefer that over little Schleck winning.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    This makes me really angry...I don't really care about whether Contador gets banned or not but I don't want The Tour/The Giro made into a joke if he wins and then gets banned.

If I was a sponsor I think i'd finally come to my senses and sponsor a different sport.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pokerface
    Maybe they can find it in themselves to make a ruling before the end of the Tour at least!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,899
    If Zomo and The Prude have any sense, they will politely show Alpuerto the door.
    Certainly in the case of the Tour, they would be risking a brace of no results and still have the previous edition won by Mr Cowgate.
    Add in Flandis and the daft 2007 race.

Golly, the Lance year's are starting to look quite healthy..............................
    .................well, maybe not.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Just trying to encourage you to not to be so wrapped up in whether some rider had some drug in him. You're sounding more and more like some stalker of some movie star, who just has to know all about the object of his worship. Do your own thing and quit living through the actions of these, so called, heroes of yours. In other words - get a life,
    you'll be happier for it.

I have a lot more of a life than you by the looks of things. I discuss things I'm interested in with other folks who are interested in the same thing. You just troll a forum you have no interest in.

There is one person in this equation who's got a problem, and it ain't me sonny Jim.

PMSL and theres me looking at reports of 250,000 people made homeles by a wall of mud last week.

I think Dennis has a valid point Ian
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    afx237vi wrote:

I think it was a UCI rule that after a 2 year ban for doping you couldn't join a pro tour team for another 2 years effectively giving you a four year ban. So far it only applied to Heras.

Almost makes you think the UCI have some kind of black list to block some riders and not others :D
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    ...but I don't want The Tour/The Giro made into a joke....

I think that ship has already sailed.

And I agree with Iain -- watching Andy S. win would be pure torture. Berto may be a doper but at least he can move his chain without it falling off.
  • iainf72
    According to Inrng, l'equipe are publishing new revelations about the Contador case tomorrow.
  • Jill douglas about to publish an interview with Pat M ref the Contador case on the BBC website shortly (sometime soon)
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    sherer wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

I think it was a UCI rule that after a 2 year ban for doping you couldn't join a pro tour team for another 2 years effectively giving you a four year ban. So far it only applied to Heras.

Almost makes you think the UCI have some kind of black list to block some riders and not others :D

It had nothing to do with the UCI, it was rule the teams agreed to ,not sure which alphabetic soup it is, something with the pro teams however. It kinda felt apart once JB signed Basso to Discovery.

I think it's good news that AC's case is going to CAS. Ban him or free him.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    BarryBonds wrote:
    PMSL and theres me looking at reports of 250,000 people made homeles by a wall of mud last week.

I think Dennis has a valid point Ian

There is always something more important going on in the world than cycle racing. So either we accept that this is the Pro racing section of a cycling forum and not Disaster Watch or we all just stop posting anything at all.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Pokerface
    Arkibal wrote:

I think it's good news that AC's case is going to CAS. Ban him or free him.

I agree. Plus some some unknown reason I feel that CAS is less likely to be baffled by BS or swayed by political pressure.

It will be good to have a truly impartial body look at all the evidence and make a decision.

Unless someone will now post to convince me they aren't impartial?
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Watching the Contador interview on tv andI think something may have got lost in translation but he came across as this whole affair being a tad tiresome.

Lets hope there is some proper supporting evidence - either way.
    Mens agitat molem
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Latest tangentially-related accidental drug ingestion story:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... 6028001586

in short, triathlete cleared of morphine doping, says ate lots of poppyseed bread. Cleared, but lost the win for the event in which he tested postive COS DEM'S DA RULEZ. SONNY JIM.

not really anything to do with Contador, but an interesting parallel.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • iainf72
    L'equipe story is

New hypothesis in Contador case : Serum infusion after blood transfusion (to annihilate parameters' variations).
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    iainf72 wrote:
    L'equipe story is

New hypothesis in Contador case : Serum infusion after blood transfusion (to annihilate parameters' variations).

Any links, or is this unbroken as yet?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Bakunin wrote:
    Berto may be a doper but at least he can move his chain without it falling off.
    Oh yes can't argue with that, as that makes sense. :roll:

What with chains falling off and a brother doing the same, the guy has a problem.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    so, if he rides (and wins) the tour, and is then found positive, 2010 and 2011's titles will be taken from him? or just 2010? how would this work? either way it would look better for the tour to just exclude him..
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    …and how do they get prize winnings back ? And do they adjust all other lower order results and give the new podium finishers the same money prizes (or not bother).
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    le patron wrote:
    …and how do they get prize winnings back ? And do they adjust all other lower order results and give the new podium finishers the same money prizes (or not bother).

Good point you've raised and I had not thought of it before but I guess the prize money is not adjusted or reclaimed. For me if I came 2nd and got 1st only through a disqualified rider the victory would be tarnished and for that reason alone Contador should not be allowed to race unless he gets an all clear beforehand.

Contador is a famous athlete like him or not and the CAS should try to process case ASAP in an effort to clear his name. It would be good for the sport to get it done quickly and not drag out all year.

Whats really to process??
    Brian B.
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Brian B wrote:
    Contador is a famous athlete like him or not and the CAS should try to process case ASAP in an effort to clear his name.

Why should they try to clear his name???? Surely they should be assessing the evidence and coming to their own conclusion regarding guilt!
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Pokerface
    le patron wrote:
    …and how do they get prize winnings back ?

They just ask for it nicely.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    kfinlay wrote:
    Brian B wrote:
    Contador is a famous athlete like him or not and the CAS should try to process case ASAP in an effort to clear his name.

Why should they try to clear his name???? Surely they should be assessing the evidence and coming to their own conclusion regarding guilt!

Spot the obvious error - I had meant to say clear or ban him outright. Defo not a fan of contador myself but feel that for sake of the sport his case should be dealt with quickly so we can try to avoid a tour de farce before it even starts.

Unfortunatey I think that Spains verdict will be upheld and he will be free to ride.
    Brian B.
  • dulldave
    Brian B wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:
    Brian B wrote:

Spot the obvious error - I had meant to say clear or ban him outright. Defo not a fan of contador myself but feel that for sake of the sport his case should be dealt with quickly so we can try to avoid a tour de farce before it even starts.

Unfortunatey I think that Spains verdict will be upheld and he will be free to ride.

I can't see it. The possibility of blood doping was too quickly ruled out by the Spanish. Saying that his passport parameters looked OK isn't enough to say he didn't have a transfusion. For me it's still the more likely explanation and I reckon CAS will see it that way as well.
  • dulldave
    Brian B wrote:
    kfinlay wrote:
    Brian B wrote:

I can't see it. The possibility of blood doping was too quickly ruled out by the Spanish. Saying that his passport parameters looked OK isn't enough to say he didn't have a transfusion. For me it's still the more likely explanation and I reckon CAS will see it that way as well.