Contador tests positive for Clenbuterol

Comments

• stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    dougzz wrote:
    stanislav wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    Toure wouldn't be my first suspect when looking for doping in football, and I say that as a Spurs fan. I suspect that if football at Premier league level has a drug problem, think Boonen rather than Contador.

One of your well known central defenders has had afew boonen moments,So drug testing in football leaves a lot to be desired.

That's narrowed it down to about 6 possibles. Don't particularly doubt it but where's your evidence ;)
    I can 100% say its true.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • sherer wrote:
    They don't test for EPO or blood transfusions as they claim it is too expensive.

Wow, I did not know that. Do you have a link to a report or where that is stated?
    It's impossible to believe that an industry with so much money at stake there isn't going to be doping - though looking at how the money works I can imagine that it's more about teams protecting boosting their assets than footballers themselves doing it.

I'm in two minds on this...

Part of me says: the benefits from increasing endurance and reducing recovery time are obvious. Since the start of the 90's there has been enough money sloshing about in english football to enable a team to have a comprehensive doping programme, while at the same time the testing regime has been lax mostly focusing on social drugs.

Another part of me says: absolutely no way. Football is so backward with regards to training regimes & techniques that it probably didn't occur to the clubs to use PED's when there was absolutely no chance of being caught.

In the run up to the '68 Olympics David Hemery was working with a sports psychologist on visualisation, relaxation etc. 35 years later when McClaren brought Bill Beswick to Derby and then to Middlesbrough it shocked the English football world.

Same with Wenger & diet at Arsenal.

There probably will be a drug scandal in English football but it won't be until 2020 when football catches up with what other sports were doing in the 90's.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411

It's impossible to believe that an industry with so much money at stake there isn't going to be doping - though looking at how the money works I can imagine that it's more about teams protecting boosting their assets than footballers themselves doing it.

I'm in two minds on this...

Part of me says: the benefits from increasing endurance and reducing recovery time are obvious. Since the start of the 90's there has been enough money sloshing about in english football to enable a team to have a comprehensive doping programme, while at the same time the testing regime has been lax mostly focusing on social drugs.

Another part of me says: absolutely no way. Football is so backward with regards to training regimes & techniques that it probably didn't occur to the clubs to use PED's when there was absolutely no chance of being caught.

Well Wenger incorporated creatine into the diet supplements at Arsenal before it was prohibited, but later said he didn't like it as it ended up with players becoming too muscular and getting injured. When Henry arrived he told him to cut down his upper body muscle to improve his speed and agility, and if you compare photos you can see quite a difference between the before and after.

Meanwhile at Chelsea they've been using some for of injection of the player's own blood to improve injury response times - not sure of the technique details (might be the white cells rather than red) but it's borderline blood doping.

So there's maybe a little more sophistication than you credit... There are certainly some clubs in England that I wouldn't be surprised to hear had fairly advanced doping programs running. If you look at the pace and physically of the English game and then start to think about the value of players as assets....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Also, the influx of Euro players and managers will move the practice on. If Fuentes is known in Spain (and allegedly Spain has achieved it's World Cup/Euro victories with assistance), it's a small world and people will want to use/adapt/replicate his methods. UK teams may be 'behind' but a high spending team will see that any advantage is money well spent. I don't think Russian or Arab billionaires have scruples about a 'clean' game
    M.Rushton
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mrushton wrote:
    I don't think Russian or Arab billionaires have scruples about a 'clean' game

I'm pretty sure that Russian's and Arab's aren't the only ones without "scruples". :wink:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    dennisn wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Russian's and Arab's aren't the only ones without "scruples". :wink:

Just wondering if you know anything about English football at all, Dennis?

Russian and Arab billionaires certainly aren't the only ones without scruples, but they're the ones with no scruples and ownership of English teams.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    This is swerving slightly OT.
    Mens agitat molem
  • bazbadger wrote:
    This is swerving slightly OT.

"Swerve"??? That's a U-Turn 8)
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

Russian and Arab billionaires certainly aren't the only ones without scruples, but they're the ones with no scruples and ownership of English teams.

So you're saying that all the English owners of teams HAVE scruples, whereas foreign
    owners are all scum of the earth? And no, I don't know much about English football. Used to be a big fan of Australian Rules Football until ESPN took it off the air. :cry::cry:
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

So you're saying that all the English owners of teams HAVE scruples, whereas foreign
    owners are all scum of the earth? And no, I don't know much about English football. Used to be a big fan of Australian Rules Football until ESPN took it off the air. :cry::cry:

Am I correct assuming you own a number of live animals Dennis ??
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

Which English owners of teams? I'm afraid your belying your ignorance of English football here Dennis. Most owners of top flight English teams, and all those that fall in the billionaires bracket, are foreign.

Liverpool: American
    ManU: American
    Chelsea: Russian
    Man City: Arab

Cant be bothered to go through the rest. Spurs *spit* are English owned. Arsenal don't have a single owner, but shares are split between English, American and Uzbek. Bolton owned by an Indian chicken company.
  • Bolton owned by an Indian chicken company.

Erm....that'll be Blackburn.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Spurs owner is certainly not English for tax purposes, isn't he a resident of the Bahamas?

Dennis's point was valid. It's not foreign owners that brought dodgy dealing to football.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Can we get back to dissecting contadors claims of innocence?

I know and care nothing for football. :wink:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Can we get back to dissecting contadors claims of innocence?

I know and care nothing for football. :wink:

+1
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,734
    Sorry to continue the footballing discussion, but did anyone else wonder about Barcelona in their victory over Arsenal? At the Emirates they tired after 60 mins, and at the Nou Camp they just kept running everywhere. An amazing increase in fitness in three weeks.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Sorry to continue the footballing discussion, but did anyone else wonder about Barcelona in their victory over Arsenal? At the Emirates they tired after 60 mins, and at the Nou Camp they just kept running everywhere. An amazing increase in fitness in three weeks.

It's worth watching the Milan-Liverpool CL final from 2005 to see and example of a seriously fitter (yet seriously older) continental team running 'til the end of 120mins.

Strava is not Zen.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    calvjones wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It's worth watching the Milan-Liverpool CL final from 2005 to see and example of a seriously fitter (yet seriously older) continental team running 'til the end of 120mins.

I did think that during the world cup, when I was younger and into football, all the players were farked after 90 mins and spent the run up to extra time being stretched/lying on the pitch. These days it's no bother at all.

Must be the rounder ball, less resistance when dribbling.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

Which English owners of teams? I'm afraid your belying your ignorance of English football here Dennis. Most owners of top flight English teams, and all those that fall in the billionaires bracket, are foreign.

Liverpool: American
    ManU: American
    Chelsea: Russian
    Man City: Arab

Cant be bothered to go through the rest. Spurs *spit* are English owned. Arsenal don't have a single owner, but shares are split between English, American and Uzbek. Bolton owned by an Indian chicken company.

I don't have a clue who owns these teams. Hell, I don't care or know who owns American football teams. The only thing I've said on this post is that just about anyone can have a lack of scruples, including the English.
  • bazbadger
    Back on topic:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/03/news/alberto-contador-works-to-refute-transfusion-claims_163134
    ...Contador also said he is considering legal action against the Belgian magazine, Humo, which published a story with an unnamed source at Astana that said Contador took clenbuterol during the 2010 Critérium du Dauphiné....
    Mens agitat molem
  • dougzz
    ^
    What's that got to do with football ;)
  • bazbadger
    Stop it. :lol:
    Mens agitat molem
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    What was the date that WADA/UCI had to appeal to CAS?

Is it the 15th? Cutting it a bit fine.. No?
    cartoon.jpg
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    A bit O\T but going back to the topic of football this article makes interesting reading

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/ ... 77489.html
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    And staying on football and Spain...

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2175/ ... nish-radio
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    AS reporting the spanish authorties fully expect the Contador case to go to CAS.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dougzz
    iainf72 wrote:
    AS reporting the spanish authorties fully expect the Contador case to go to CAS.

Will it be the UCI or WADA that refer it, and is that significant?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    dougzz wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Will it be the UCI or WADA that refer it, and is that significant?

Well presumably they would have to submit a report that set out what their objections are and all that. Then CAS would have to investigate to see what went down. It depends if CAS are only allowed to investigate the things they are told about by UCI or WADA or whether they just say 'oi CAS, sort it out' and then CAS do all the work. If it was the former it would matter what the UCI and WADA put in reports.
  • dougzz
    I rather meant that if the UCI don't appeal but leave it to WADA does that make them appear weak and ineffective, ducking the job at hand and leaving it to WADA. Or would it normally be WADA in these circumstances?