Contador tests positive for Clenbuterol

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    cows have never failed a dope test
    Cows maybe not, but can one trust the bulls?

5531802886_b92894896c_z.jpg
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    So today is the day. UCI have to make a decision one way or the other.

My money is on them NOT appealing to COA. I wonder if WADA will step in or not?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pokerface wrote:

Whatever the decision is, it's being taken by the UCI and WADA.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pokerface
    iainf72 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Whatever the decision is, it's being taken by the UCI and WADA.

You mean that it will be a joint decision? No chance of UCI passing and WADA stepping in?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I guess the WADA appeal all depends on what the reason the UCI gives for not appealing.

I am fully expecting the UCI to clear him especially after that other rider who was cleared for clen just the other day.
    cartoon.jpg
  • iainf72
    Pokerface wrote:

You mean that it will be a joint decision? No chance of UCI passing and WADA stepping in?

That is my understanding. Whatever happens will be jointly agreed in advance.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,143
    The other rider had been in Mexico, where clenbuterol tainted meat is far more widespread than Spain.

Maybe Contador got it wrong all along and should have claimed he was in Mexico at the time? Oh, we've heard that one before though.
  • iainf72
    UCI have appealed to CAS
  • iainf72
    Press release

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... LangId%3D1

The worst bit is he can still race during the appeal process which means a shambles of an early season, and most likely, a ruined Giro.
  • Thank God they're appealing!!
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Why always the last day. Does it always take exactly the allowed period to make the decision?
    Bertie racing in the mean time is rubbish, it's Valverde all over.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    iainf72 wrote:
    Press release

The worst bit is he can still race during the appeal process which means a shambles of an early season, and most likely, a ruined Giro.

Don't you just love this sport?

Oh well, at least FF will be happy.
  • Pokerface
    I assume the UCI just had until today to decide to appeal?

Or did they have to submit their entire case by today?

If so, can't they just ask for a swift response as Pellizotti did in his case?

Or will it now be several months before they actually present their evidence, etc?
  • iainf72
    They want to try and get it done before the end of June.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    dougzz wrote:
    Why always the last day. Does it always take exactly the allowed period to make the decision?
    Bertie racing in the mean time is rubbish, it's Valverde all over.

aw well, you know what it's like when you've got a deadline... you always mean to get an early start but then Vaughters starts banging on about race radios and Bruyneel tries to set up a splinter league, and before you know it it's the 24th March and you haven't even LOOKED at the Contador file!

Do we think the UCI's heart is really in this? Sure they're not just appealing for form's sake? The original handling did seem an awful lot like they wanted to just sweep it under the carpet.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    Press release

Don't be such a drama queen. It's only bike racing yet you act as if your life depends on it.
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:

Don't be such a drama queen. It's only bike racing yet you act as if your life depends on it.

Look troll, we know you don't care about procycling but some of us do. So if you've got nothing to say about the sport, why don't you go do something more interestng with your time?
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Thank God they're appealing!!

+10
    While I felt myself being kind of impressed with his win yesterday....I didn't enjoy it!
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Look troll, we know you don't care about procycling but some of us do. So if you've got nothing to say about the sport, why don't you go do something more interestng with your time?

+1
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Likewise. The win yesterday had an air of inevitiability about it.

I would imagine yesterday was a clean win as well although I am sure in his own mind he thinks he is/was clean anyway.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,899
    Bye bye Bertie the Butcher.
    As for the Giro, at least he'll be riding clean..............or at least cleaner.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Just trying to encourage you to not to be so wrapped up in whether some rider had some drug in him. You're sounding more and more like some stalker of some movie star, who just has to know all about the object of his worship. Do your own thing and quit living through the actions of these, so called, heroes of yours. In other words - get a life,
    you'll be happier for it.
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:
    Just trying to encourage you to not to be so wrapped up in whether some rider had some drug in him. You're sounding more and more like some stalker of some movie star, who just has to know all about the object of his worship. Do your own thing and quit living through the actions of these, so called, heroes of yours. In other words - get a life,
    you'll be happier for it.

I have a lot more of a life than you by the looks of things. I discuss things I'm interested in with other folks who are interested in the same thing. You just troll a forum you have no interest in.

There is one person in this equation who's got a problem, and it ain't me sonny Jim.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:
    They want to try and get it done before the end of June.

This is pro cycling... did they say June of which year?
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    What a mess. However assuming he continues to ride & does the Giro, does that line the race up to be even better as everyone else will be trying harder to beat him?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    andyjr wrote:
    What a mess. However assuming he continues to ride & does the Giro, does that line the race up to be even better as everyone else will be trying harder to beat him?

Nope it makes it more of a mess, he'll probably win stages, stealing from other dop....sorry riders. Then when he attacks do Basso, NIbs, Menchov whoever follow, or do they mark the others on the assumption he'll be chucked out later, and they may blow up trying to stay with (a still juiced - why assume not?) Bertie.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,956
    dougzz wrote:
    andyjr wrote:

Nope it makes it more of a mess, he'll probably win stages, stealing from other dop....sorry riders. Then when he attacks do Basso, NIbs, Menchov whoever follow, or do they mark the others on the assumption he'll be chucked out later, and they may blow up trying to stay with (a still juiced - why assume not?) Bertie.

The glory (and sponsorship exposure) comes from winning it on the day.

Winning it in retrospect isn't much use to either the rider or the sponsors.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    In this appeal, does the CAS set the penalty or does it go back to the Spanish?

Could Bertie now get 2 years?
  • iainf72
    Bakunin wrote:
    In this appeal, does the CAS set the penalty or does it go back to the Spanish?

Could Bertie now get 2 years?

CAS set the tariff

Yes, he could get 2 years.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,956
    If I were the Giro organisers I wouldn't let anyone ride who is undergoing a courtcase which could render all this years results void.