La Marmotte 2011 - Entry?

Comments

• GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    There are plenty of private chalets in the Alpe that rent out small flats. There's a list published by the local authority. Just email a few. We hired two 3-berth flats that way last year.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Anyone got an idea what the definitive medal times are?

On the website, gold for my age category is 8,39 and 10,18 for silver. However my confirmation letter gives the timings as 9,15 and 11.06.
  • stagger
    stagger Posts: 116
    narbs wrote:
    Anyone got an idea what the definitive medal times are?

On the website, gold for my age category is 8,39 and 10,18 for silver. However my confirmation letter gives the timings as 9,15 and 11.06.

If the glandon descent is time neutralised as now seems to be the norm then its the faster times as quoted on website.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    edited May 2011
    its only 6 weeks away now so i'm about to get some new kit to get using and see me through the remainder of the season hopefully. just some servicable items like tyres and brake pads, plus some more cushioned bar tape. as a first timer i've got a couple of kit related questions:

would people recommend using a co2 inflator to make sure i can get up to full tyre pressure if i puncture? i don't currently own one just a mini pump

should i buy some spare brake pads to take with me?i've not decended mountains before so aren't quite sure how i'll go. i've got 3 days at ventoux first so may wear some out before?

is there any other non routine kit people would recommend?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    gsk82 wrote:
    is there any other non routine kit people would recommend?

I would recommend taking a spare pair of lungs and heart, and also a portable cold shower unit for climbing the Alpe.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I don't think you'll need spare brake pads, but take some if it makes you feel more comfortable as the feeling of being prepared helps you relax a bit more before the event. I went prepared for sleet last year! And so you don't come hunting for me when we're out there if you go through the pads a bit too quickly :).

Gilet, a light rain jacket and arm-warmers are a good idea in case the weather's a bit on the chilly side. I wore these down the Galibier, but you can stop at the top of the Lauteret to take them off as it starts to get warm after that - a club mate came up with a very apt description of that descent: it's like sinking into a warm bath.

I used a cap last year to keep the sweat out my eyes, but there's a chance this caused me to overheat on ADH. My training partner, JonGinge, mentioned a Castelli cap which has a peak, but no top, so I might get that.

As for ADH, I might loosen the middle strap of three on my shoes this year; last year, I think they were too tight.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    CO2 is fine - just not in hand luggage :wink:

Weather can do everything so plan for that :shock:

I rode in SS jersey, arm warmers, gilet and superlight shell. Used the shell in 2009 but not last year. Arm warmers+gilet to start and coming off the Galibier. AdH was brutally hot though.

The only mild mechanical I had was my seatpost slipping coming down the Galibier in 2009.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • renrag1967
    renrag1967 Posts: 17
    Bonked today training for LaMarmotte 2011! How depressing. Was doing a 100miles route around Fife and hit the westerly gale 5hrs in after Lomond hills. It was supposed to 15mph, try 30-40! To cap it all a p... about 7kms from home and 3 soakings also LOL!

Im staying in Camping La Picine, blue tent, pitch 401, close to the loos!

G.
    Don't call me Shirley..
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    off work with flu, done 3 weeks training only and now feel like a donkey, have the Vaujany 180k sportive up the same-ish hills 5 days before the marmotte.

expecting a week of unmitigated pain
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    As a mattter of interest for those of you did both last year, what kind of difference was there between your Dragonride and Marmotte times?
  • gsk82
    maddog 2 wrote:
    CO2 is fine - just not in hand luggage :wink:

is that a recommendation to buy a co2 pump or stick with my mini pump? i'm going with veloventoux who have co2 cannisters available to borrow
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Road Red wrote:
    As a mattter of interest for those of you did both last year, what kind of difference was there between your Dragonride and Marmotte times?

IMO, there's no comparison. The Marmotte was a completely new level of pain and distress for me. (Fwiw, I did 7hrs 30-odd for the Dragon in 2007, and 8 hrs 35 for the Marmotte last year.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    I fully expect the pain and know they are totally different. I got around the Dragonride in reasonable nick last year in around the 7.30, but went on and suffered big time in completing the Etape. And I know the Marmotte is tougher than again!

To be honest the heat is my biggest concern. Its the one thing we can't train for over here.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Dossard number in - 2239

Strangely looking forward to it. Just hoping it's not baking hot but reckon that's too much to ask. 8)
  • glasgowbhoy
    Road Red wrote:
    I fully expect the pain and know they are totally different. I got around the Dragonride in reasonable nick last year in around the 7.30, but went on and suffered big time in completing the Etape. And I know the Marmotte is tougher than again!

To be honest the heat is my biggest concern. Its the one thing we can't train for over here.

:lol: At least you see the sun in the SE of England. It's been like the middle of winter up here for the last two weeks. Central Heating back on this week.
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    For info if anyone else gets the same

I just received my confirmation e-mail with bib number, etc

When I followed the links it said I still had to pay €10 and also provide medical certificates or race license

The €10 is the deposit on the timing chip

The medical certificate should be e-mailed to info@sportcommunication.com
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Got my confirmation email.

Can anyone advise of some decent excuses to get out of this madness???
    exercise.png
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    TheStone wrote:
    Got my confirmation email.

Can anyone advise of some decent excuses to get out of this madness???

You're saving yourself for the time trial on the Sunday?!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    BigMat wrote:
    You're saving yourself for the time trial on the Sunday?!

Hmmm, this could work.
    But then I'd need another excuse as to why I did so bad in the time trial?
    exercise.png
  • gsk82
    lochindaal wrote:

When I followed the links it said I still had to pay €10 and also provide medical certificates or race license

is the same for everyone? i don't want to do anything unnecessary and i don't know if all this will have already been covered by veloventoux. i don't speak french so am muddling through as best i can

after i log in using the "registrations" link i get to the declarations page with the 10euro bit. the link doesn't work after that though. there'sno links to any of this in the email though

• glasgowbhoy
    gsk82 wrote:
    lochindaal wrote:

is the same for everyone? i don't want to do anything unnecessary and i don't know if all this will have already been covered by veloventoux. i don't speak french so am muddling through as best i can

after i log in using the "registrations" link i get to the declarations page with the 10euro bit. the link doesn't work after that though. there'sno links to any of this in the email though

Probably worth dropping Craig at VeloVentoux an email on this and see what the deal is there. Let me know will you.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    gsk82 wrote:
    lochindaal wrote:

Probably worth dropping Craig at VeloVentoux an email on this and see what the deal is there. Let me know will you.

I am also going with Veloventoux, I think I'll send Craig an email. Let me know if anybody hears anything.
    Brian B.
  • gsk82
    just looked through my old emails. craig previously said to take my medical certificate to registration. i'd assume it will be the same for the "i roll clean" form and the timing chip. i'll check anyway and let y'all know
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    gsk82 wrote:
    lochindaal wrote:

after i log in using the "registrations" link i get to the declarations page with the 10euro bit. the link doesn't work after that though. there'sno links to any of this in the email though.
    Did you not pay the €10 when you entered? You get the €10 (or a T-shirt) back straight afterwards in any case.

Easiest (and for peace of mind) is to scan / email the medical certificate - they will upgrade your web profile from Randonneur. Although you can do at registration.
    Rich
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Road Red wrote:
    Night & Day.

Dragon - 6:55.
    Marmotte - 9:46 (excludes neutralised Glandon descent).

Dragon - 6:42
    Marmotte - 8:54 (with Glandon descent)

Dragon - 7:01
    Marmotte - 10:30 (ish)
    Rich
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    some people may be praying for more Icelandic ash...

Not done the Dragon but my best Fred Whitton is 6:55 and my best Marmotte is 8:49.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • gsk82
    Craig from veloventoux replied saying that he paid the 10euro already.

I think i'll scan and email my medical form just incase i lose it before registration.
  • bigmat
    My GP says there will be an "admin fee" for signing the form - £72! I had to laugh.

It says they need a medical certificate or race licence - does a BC race licence suffice?
  • gsk82
    Mat that was discussed somewhere further up this thread. I dont think anyone really knew because BC don't require a medical for a licence but most places do, or something like that
  • bigmat
    Interesting - might just buy a licence, send it off and see what happens, had been meaning to get one anyway and its £40 cheaper than the "admin fee" from my GP!