La Marmotte 2011 - Entry?

Comments

• Signed up for the first time, but now regreting a little bit :shock:

How long did it take everyone to appear on the website after you got the auto confirmation mine has been a couple of days?

I have read you can send your BC race licence in to confirm your spot instead of a medical certificate has anyone had any luck with this/

Has anyone bought the cyclefilm Recon DVD for the event, is it any good?
  • You used to be able to use a BC licence in leiu of the medical certificate.

But you can't do this anymore - you have to have the signed medical form AND 3rd party insurance I believe.

My doc charges me a tenner for signing it and looking through my notes.

I entered last nite and got confirmation thsi morning saying my 'dossard' woulld come through in a couple of days. Hopefully I'll be in the first 1000.

Start training now ! Don't wanna be found wanting up the Alpe !
  • Is there an appropriate list of sportives to enter to prepare for the big day?

Dragon Ride?

Tour of Wessex?

You know, on the off chance i'm a fattish bloke and have signed up for what looks like it may be a little bit of a challenge...

Want to get a couple of things definite in th diary
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • ToW is excellent (but you need to be fairly fit to complete the 3 days)

Dragon is a great one to do for the Marmotte

I'll be doing both.........
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    A mate reckons his licence sufficed as a medical certificate last year - not saying it'll work this year but it worked last. Then again he is a first cat so maybe they take that into account - it shows you are race fit whereas a 3rd or 4th cat licence doesn't even mean you've raced in the last few years. For the record he did just over 7 hours and had (I think) stomach problems near the end which slowed him - reckons 6.50ish if it goes right.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Cyclomundo have told me that a BC Race Licence will suffice so I hope thats true.....

I am also in but with some trepidation. I managed a c.2200 finish in the 2008 Etape but the conditions were very cool. I am not sure how I will manage with the potential heat....

Rich
  • nicksun
    nicksun Posts: 290
    I got sucked in by you lot. What have you made me do?
  • Nicksun wrote:

+1!

Fixeh
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Trying to enter, which insurance is required? What is the difference?

- Assurance Déces Invalidité 3.00 € x RACES
    - Assurance Déces Invalidités frais médicaux 11.00 €

Thanks
    Rich
  • Nicksun wrote:

+2

@timmyflash if you are based down south jump on the eurostar and head over to Lille and try some of the Belgium classics, cheap and will force to you get fit for early season.

That is what I am doing
  • Nicksun wrote:

+2

@timmyflash if you are based down south jump on the eurostar and head over to Lille and try some of the Belgium classics, cheap and will force to you get fit for early season.

That is what I am doing

Yep, down south. Currently mulling over tour of Flanders. I'm quite enjoying planning the various i can enter to help motivate me along the way.

Fixeh
  • I am in for that one already, havent done it but looks good.

What can go wrong beer and cycling. Paris Roubaix is also the week after and entries to that have not opened yet I don't think
  • cup
    cup Posts: 4
    I entered last Friday and have still not seen my name appear on the website yet. I have not yet sent mymedical certificate, does anyone think this is what is holding it up? or is it a case of a gazillion entries all over the weekend and the 3 people in the back office are working 25hours a day to catch up?!

I am reluctant to email them as I expect hey are pretty busy at the moment!

I have had the confirmation mail and they have taken the money so hoping I am in!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Of 6 people I know have entered 2 are showing up as in, 4 are not (including me). I was the first of the six to enter - as far as I know we all used the french language version. I think it's worth giving it another couple of days and then maybe contacting them - so long as you have the confirmation you should be OK....hopefully.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • @cup
    I applied the same day as you and I am not on either, it is just them processing. If u got an email and they have taken your money that is a good sign. I am not sending my certificate till i am on there system incase it causes mayhem!
  • The evnt is very well organised, but the website is terrible and sign up process is awful.

I wouldn't get too worried if you don't hear anything back. Just send them an email and they will get back to you to confirm, that's the way it worked for me last year anyway.
  • do you need to but the timing bracelet?

I can't tell if it for my own time or do give an indication how close you are to teh winning time?
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    One just to remind everyone. I took this last summer when I was out there. I hadn't just ridden over 3 cols and 150km at this point though as I will have when (i hope) I get to this point in July. Don't think I'll be breaking my 60 min climb time on the Marmotte either lol

905299833_GjHD6-M.jpg
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    i've put in for this with veloventoux. i've not done it before so don't really knowwhat to expect, i've done a couple of sportives the last couple of years and generally found that i've not done enough long rides (80 plus miles) in preparation and i don't eat/ drink enough.

anyway ive tried to start putting together a calendar for next year but i aren't sure how many 100m sportives i should be looking to do on top of my sunday rides which i'll probably extend to 80miles from the usual 65miles, with the odd 100miler. as things stand i've got the following

wynrose or bust 17/4 112m
    lincoln gp sportive 7/5 92m
    possible etape du dales on 15/5
    richmond 5 dales 28/5 100m
    a fairly 100m audax on 4/6 with a 40mile round trip to get there.
    i'll also be doing 140m whitehaven to newcastle coast to coast in a day at some point between april and june.

does this seem light to any experienced marmotters? when should i be cutting down the long hard rides and tapering off?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    One just to remind everyone. I took this last summer when I was out there. I hadn't just ridden over 3 cols and 150km at this point though as I will have when (i hope) I get to this point in July. Don't think I'll be breaking my 60 min climb time on the Marmotte either lol

905299833_GjHD6-M.jpg

The first three or four hairpins: my God... (see my sig)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gsk82 wrote:
    i've put in for this with veloventoux. i've not done it before so don't really knowwhat to expect, i've done a couple of sportives the last couple of years and generally found that i've not done enough long rides (80 plus miles) in preparation and i don't eat/ drink enough.

anyway ive tried to start putting together a calendar for next year but i aren't sure how many 100m sportives i should be looking to do on top of my sunday rides which i'll probably extend to 80miles from the usual 65miles, with the odd 100miler. as things stand i've got the following

wynrose or bust 17/4 112m
    lincoln gp sportive 7/5 92m
    possible etape du dales on 15/5
    richmond 5 dales 28/5 100m
    a fairly 100m audax on 4/6 with a 40mile round trip to get there.
    i'll also be doing 140m whitehaven to newcastle coast to coast in a day at some point between april and june.

does this seem light to any experienced marmotters? when should i be cutting down the long hard rides and tapering off?

Here's my 2p worth:

I rode my first Marmotte this year. A number of factors meant I couldn't put together any form of training plan to which I could stick. So, the bulk of my mileage was knocked out on the comparatively flat 15-mile-each-way commute into the centre of London. I then followed the advice of a training partner/fellow commuter on here (JonGinge) by focusing on intensity because it's just not possible to re-create in the UK the alpine climbs you encounter on the Marmotte. So, I tried to do a few high-intensity sessions around my local park.

At the same time, keep an eye on your weight (and, therefore, your power-to-weight ratio).

To give you some further perspective, I did the Surrey Rumble in March (76-odd miles) in March and the Magnificat (125 miles) in June. I did maybe one or two other metric century rides in the local park. Not ideal.

Being primarily a commuter, stamina is where I suffer, and that's what I've got to work on before next July.

So, don't just focus on miles; ensure that you get intense miles in, too. It's like training for a marathon: quality, not quantity.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    bb928 wrote:
    Beware though - if you do the Marmotte once you will be hooked. I do it every year and say never again at the end but come December I sign up again....
    :lol: I was quite the opposite. I spent a couple of years riding LOTS of sportives, culminating in La Marmotte '08. I haven't done another sportive since. La Marmotte is about as tough and stunning as it gets, but perhaps I'd had my fill?
    Also I decided that for me, looking at my times in a sportive was ultimately futile and I really needed to go racing.... :D
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    fish156 wrote:
    bb928 wrote:
    Beware though - if you do the Marmotte once you will be hooked. I do it every year and say never again at the end but come December I sign up again....
    :lol: I was quite the opposite. I spent a couple of years riding LOTS of sportives, culminating in La Marmotte '08. I haven't done another sportive since. La Marmotte is about as tough and stunning as it gets, but perhaps I'd had my fill?
    Also I decided that for me, looking at my times in a sportive was ultimately futile and I really needed to go racing.... :D

I'm exactly the same as you fish...sportives got me hooked on road cycling, next season it's racing! :lol:
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • sites uploaded you can now check if your in,no race numbers yet
  • @The Flying Smith

Thanks, I am in, not sure is that is a good thing or a bad thing!!
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    The website now says no more registrations, unless you enter at least 4 of their sportives. They've got over 6500+ entries and I think the limit is around 7000.

I hope everyone here who was thinking of entering got themselves organised in time.
  • anybody who needs an entry try www.velocamps.com they have some top 400 entries left
  • Velocamps must be not much good I am thinking as they need to advertise in at least a few places on this forum. All the other places direct entry places are being snapped up.

Do you think it occurs to them that by bundling up the entry with 3 nights of half board in a two star hotel (value approx £200 but charging nearly three times that) they are preventing others getting a ride through the normal channels.
    Does this forum allow such blatant advertising in its posts?
    Plus why would someone who is not a sub-seven hour rider really want/need to be in the first 400 with the elites?
    This is the problem with the Etape where underprepared riders buy their way in with a low start number, then get to the first incline, slow to ac crawl and block the road for others. It is selfish and stupid. I thought the Marmotte was different in this respect.
  • DominicB wrote:
    Velocamps must be not much good I am thinking as they need to advertise in at least a few places on this forum. All the other places direct entry places are being snapped up.

Do you think it occurs to them that by bundling up the entry with 3 nights of half board in a two star hotel (value approx £200 but charging nearly three times that) they are preventing others getting a ride through the normal channels.
    Does this forum allow such blatant advertising in its posts?
    Plus why would someone who is not a sub-seven hour rider really want/need to be in the first 400 with the elites?
    This is the problem with the Etape where underprepared riders buy their way in with a low start number, then get to the first incline, slow to ac crawl and block the road for others. It is selfish and stupid. I thought the Marmotte was different in this respect.

Exactly, Anyone asking for an early start should be sent to the back! Slower riders just get in the way and are a danger to themselves and others. If you feel you need an advantage already, it might be worth not entering.
  • Does anyone know if there is any other site I can enter the Marmotte without going on organised trip?
    thanks