La Marmotte 2011 - Entry?

Comments

• Please can someone tell me the start time on the day and
    average speed required to attain a medal

thanks
  • Aso, best fly in to Lyon or Grenoble?

Thanks again. I'll return the favour to someone else next year.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Most fly in to Grenoble as it's nearer.

Can't remember the time needed for a medal as there was no was I was going to get one, so didn't even bother registering it.

I might be interested next year, though.
  • rongob
    rongob Posts: 9
    Start time is around 7:30 Alain,if you look at the sports communication website it will tell you the times for the different age groups regarding medals
  • For the Marmotte this year for the first time, start times were staggered by 20 minutes or so per batch of 2000, which is eminently sensible - ASO take note!
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    For the Marmotte this year for the first time, start times were staggered by 20 minutes or so per batch of 2000, which is eminently sensible - ASO take note!

The start times were staggered in 2009 as well and agree it is very sensible. I was in the first group of around 2000 to set off in 2009 and had a fantastic clear run up the Glandon and encountered no problems at the first food station. This year I started in the second phase (towards the back) and there was quite a bit of bottle-necking on the Glandon especially after the descent abbout half way up and the food station at the top was very congested.

My advice to anyone entering next years event would therefore be to take enough food with you to allow you to pass straight through the Glandon food station if you are not in the first phase of cyclists.

I don't know how start numbers were arranged last year as I entered on the day registartions opened and recieved a mid 2000's number but I entered late December for 2009's event and received a number in the 800's. Maybe it came down to times from previous events as my time was 9.04 which was about 2000th overall from what I remember.

An unforgettable experience (both times) but no entry for me this year as I'm awaiting 2 knee replacements but if all goes well I hope to be back in 2012 or 2013.

Good luck all.
  • flying too geneva is okay , then a train from the airport takes you straight too grenoble, has anyone done the trophee de l oisans, sounds like a great weeks cycling riding la vauyany on sunday 26th, prix des rousses on the wednesday, marmotte on saturday, then time trail up the alp on sunday sounds great, has anyone done this
  • Thanks for this.

I'm in the 50+ with kids & little free time category, aiming to get there
    on the cheap,for just a few days, and just scrape through, as I did with the etape.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    so does this mean that i don't have to enter ont he day they come out and can actually wait a bit to convince someone to ride?

how difficult is it to get accomodation near the start/ finish or to get to and from it without a car? i've not done it before so please keep the advice coming
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    gsk82 wrote:
    so does this mean that i don't have to enter ont he day they come out and can actually wait a bit to convince someone to ride?

how difficult is it to get accomodation near the start/ finish or to get to and from it without a car? i've not done it before so please keep the advice coming
    No need to enter on day. Entries usually remain open for quite some time.

And plenty of accommodation available locally (i.e. AdH).
    Rich
  • RichA wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

No need to enter on day. Entries usually remain open for quite some time.

And plenty of accommodation available locally (i.e. AdH).

Last year it sold out very quickly as numbers were limited and strictly adhered to (local police orders I think,

Accommodation is already thin on the ground.
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    i've already signed up with a tour company. booked the flights this morning so am all set...apart from the fitness!
  • I did the Marmotte this year and it was absolutely horrific.

...But I think I'll give it another shot next summer!

After doing it I told myself I'd take a couple of weeks off cycling and immerse myself in watching Le Tour. Two months later and I still hadn't been back on a bike! Went for a ride yesterday though and it was great to be back out there. Feel up for some long miles this winter.
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    I did the Marmotte this year and it was absolutely horrific.

pipe down with that sort of chat on this thread!! :shock:
  • chill123 wrote:
    I did the Marmotte this year and it was absolutely horrific.

pipe down with that sort of chat on this thread!! :shock:

:lol: Ok, maybe I exaggerate. Most of it was brilliant, but I'll never forget the agony of the Alpe. I'd been feeling great on the long descent off the Galibier and could still power along nicely on the flat, but it was clear after literally 10 metres of the Alpe that I could no longer cycle uphill at any sensible pace!

Cue probably over 1h30mins of grinding my easiest gear (34 x 28), halucinations, near heat-stroke and searing pain in my feet.

I thought I'd paced myself well, but about half way up the Galibier I started to feel ropey and the last mile or so of that was pretty grim. Thought I'd recovered on the descent to the Alpe, but apparently not!

In hindsight, I think I went up the Telegraphe slightly too fast (think that's quite common so watch out for that). It's an easy climb so you can get carried away and it also goes almost straight into the Galibier so you don't get much chance to rest.

But the main flaw in my plan was probably not doing enough really long rides in training. I did quite a few over 100 miles and posted a good time in the Dragon Ride (which I think is about 117 miles?), but if you're going to spend that long in the saddle (8h47 for me), get used to it first!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I am doing it next year with a tour company. I done all the climbs involved and I am no stranger to european mountains or british sportives but just need to get in as many winter miles as I can and achieve a good base fitness to build from.
    Brian B.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Having climbed the Alpe last year as I was passing through the area the idea of the La Marmotte has been gnawing away at me.

I think I need to man up and get involved.

Will no doubt go it solo as I can't convince my sportive partner to do it. Who are you gonig with Brian?

Almost 50% more climbing than I've ever done in one day!
  • Brian B
    Glasgowbhoy - I seem to remember that you were quite a bit faster than me on the ken laidlaw sportive so if you need to man up then so do I. A few guys at my work have done it and over a hundred miles I can take a hour or so on them but they almost died or so they said when they participated a few years back.

I have sent you a private message.
    Brian B.
  • glasgowbhoy
    Brian B wrote:
    Glasgowbhoy - I seem to remember that you were quite a bit faster than me on the ken laidlaw sportive so if you need to man up then so do I. A few guys at my work have done it and over a hundred miles I can take a hour or so on them but they almost died or so they said when they participated a few years back.

I have sent you a private message.

Thanks Brian, input appreciated. Hills climbs do seem to suit me and this is the one of the toughest out there. I'm sure that saving a massive bonk or crash that I could get round but I know that as soon as I committ to it I'll be setting myself times and initally the 8 hour mark looks the benchmark. Oh no, I'm off on one already......
  • gsk82
    has anyone done the marmotte and the whitehaven/ workington to newcastle/ sunderland coast to coast? how do they compare?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    has anyone done the marmotte and the whitehaven/ workington to newcastle/ sunderland coast to coast? how do they compare?

Great question! I've done both and I'd say the marmotte is a little easier. For a start it only has four hills and there are loads on the C2C :wink:

I take it you're joking, but in case you're not the Marmotte is in a completely different league of difficulty. The hills on the c2c are really short and you can just power your way up them, but in the Marmotte you could be easily cycling uphill for 4, 5, 6, 7 hours depending on how fit you are.

I think it's quite easy to train to do 2 HC category climbs in a ride, but the last HC climb of four is an absolute beast for pretty much anyone.
  • If people are keen to get someone else to sort it out, but don't want a big tour company experience, then I'd definitely consider Craig at veloventoux. I think he has up to 50 low number dossards in 2011 (if that is a factor for you :-)) and can tailor pick-ups and accom etc and has a feed near the top of the Galibier.
    Plus - he's a top bloke.
  • Brian B
    le patron wrote:
    If people are keen to get someone else to sort it out, but don't want a big tour company experience, then I'd definitely consider Craig at veloventoux. I think he has up to 50 low number dossards in 2011 (if that is a factor for you :-)) and can tailor pick-ups and accom etc and has a feed near the top of the Galibier.
    Plus - he's a top bloke.

I'm going with Craig. Been over twice now to Provence with them and funnily enough Le Patron if you are who I think you are you were there at the same time. Last time I was there it was for the TDF ascent of Mt Ventoux

Agree that Craig is a top bloke.
    Brian B.
  • glasgowbhoy
    Brian B wrote:
    le patron wrote:
    If people are keen to get someone else to sort it out, but don't want a big tour company experience, then I'd definitely consider Craig at veloventoux. I think he has up to 50 low number dossards in 2011 (if that is a factor for you :-)) and can tailor pick-ups and accom etc and has a feed near the top of the Galibier.
    Plus - he's a top bloke.

I'm going with Craig. Been over twice now to Provence with them and funnily enough Le Patron if you are who I think you are you were there at the same time. Last time I was there it was for the TDF ascent of Mt Ventoux

Cheers Brian for the heads up. I was all for doing this solo but the Thurs-Sun trip with Craig at Veloventoux staying in Alpe DeHuez, airport transfers and local knowledge of the event is actually pretty reasonable and think it's the way to go for me.

That's me made my mind up and am going to go for it 2011.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Brian B wrote:
    le patron wrote:
    Plus - he's a top bloke.

Cheers Brian for the heads up. I was all for doing this solo but the Thurs-Sun trip with Craig at Veloventoux staying in Alpe DeHuez, airport transfers and local knowledge of the event is actually pretty reasonable and think it's the way to go for me.

That's me made my mind up and am going to go for it 2011.

Just one word of warning/advice - that "long weekend" trip is decent value, but it's a pretty hectic schedule. If you're a relatively laid back sort you'll probably be OK but I found myself ill-prepared on the big day itself having not really got over the journey nor the altitude etc etc. Did not sleep a single second the night before as a result...

If you can afford it, I'd strongly recommend going for one of Craig's longer trip options.
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • glasgowbhoy

Just one word of warning/advice - that "long weekend" trip is decent value, but it's a pretty hectic schedule. If you're a relatively laid back sort you'll probably be OK but I found myself ill-prepared on the big day itself having not really got over the journey nor the altitude etc etc. Did not sleep a single second the night before as a result...

If you can afford it, I'd strongly recommend going for one of Craig's longer trip options.

Cheers, have an 11 month old,so, my whole life is pretty hectic anyway. I can only afford the time to do Thurs- Mon or i'd do the 7 day trip. Was out that way last summer and didn't find the altitude too bad on the climbs i did and that was after 3 weeks at sea level over in Hossegar. I'm hoping that paying that but extra for the knowledge and advice of the guys at VeloVentoux will make up for the limited time I have to get in and out for the Marmottte.

EDIT: A good deal on flights to Geneva for £130 inc my bike on the Wed and returning on the Sunday will give me an extra day to prep for the race. Booked -yikes!
  • gsk82
    edited November 2010
    i've emailed craig about the 7 day trip, got a pretty quick response which was nice. having a go up ventoux before the main event would be a great bonus, i hadn't even considered it before this.

do many other people do it solo? it seems like none of my cycling mates are up for it and i don't want to be wandering around like billy no mates all week.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    gsk82 wrote:
    i've emailed craig about the 7 day trip, got a pretty quick response which was nice. having a go up ventoux before the main event would be a great bonus, i hadn't even considered it before this.

do many other people do it solo? it seems like none of by cycling mates are up for it and i don't want to be wandering around like billy no mates all week.

If you go with Veloventoux to the Alpe it's a pretty communal thing, as Craig has apartments for four so he puts individuals together to fill the beds. At the end of the day everyone on the trip is a cycling nut so you're bound to pal up with other folk for training rides/meals etc - we had a couple of great guys with us...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • glasgowbhoy
    gsk82 wrote:

do many other people do it solo? it seems like none of my cycling mates are up for it and i don't want to be wandering around like billy no mates all week.

You might end up sharing with me at Alpe d Huez then. A couple of billy no mates then.

Hope to feck you don't snore

:)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 wrote:

You might end up sharing with me at Alpe d Huez then. A couple of billy no mates then.

Hope to feck you don't snore

:)

no im not a snorer. i doubt i'd sleep the night before anyway so might be wandering around instead.