why single speed

1235»

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as long as you dont go Fixed and brakeless you will be fine.

SS is no worse than geared.

Fixed with brake(s) is no worse than SS.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd be too bloody dangerous on a brakeless bike in many interesting ways :shock:
    I like going as fast as possible, well past the bit where your brain just hides behind a rock inside your head.
    I just know if I was riding brakeless, I'd forget. Until I needed to stop.

Having said that, I did once ride down a stupidly big road hill with my brakes disconnected once, for a bet. I was about 14.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Having said that, I did once ride down a stupidly big road hill with my brakes disconnected once, for a bet. I was about 14.

I was 4 and on my fixed Trike. did not stop and ran into the house.

brakes are good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    That sounds more painful than mine. I rode off the road, into someone's garden, and aimed for the shrubbery. I came away relatively unscathed, but i won the bet.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Anyway, back to sheepsteeth being a girlyman who couldn't ride a 2:1 up a proper climb because he's been cosseted by his derrailiurs.
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    IMHO, the best (only) reason for a singlespeed is that it looks better 8)

No clunky mechs hanging off the bike, big old gangly loop of chain or cables running from front to back, bleugh! :P

My SS inbred looked lovely.

I didn't like riding it cos it only had one gear but it looked loverly none the less.....
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Penylope wrote:
    IMHO, the best (only) reason for a singlespeed is that it looks better 8)

No clunky mechs hanging off the bike, big old gangly loop of chain or cables running from front to back, bleugh! :P

My SS inbred looked lovely.

I didn't like riding it cos it only had one gear but it looked loverly none the less.....

SS do look a hell of a lot nicer- I probably will make mine 9x1 at some point but it'll look a bit bleugh when I do!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • dont waste time trying to convert your bike to a SS. is better you arrange another one SS, or dont change the gear!
  • Anonymous
    Alex wrote:
    Anyway, back to sheepsteeth being a girlyman who couldn't ride a 2:1 up a proper climb because he's been cosseted by his derrailiurs.
    I think that's got more to do with his being a, er "big" lad though, by his own admission.