why single speed

sparky803
sparky803 Posts: 29
edited August 2010 in MTB general
I am on the hunt for a new hardtail and a couple I have been looking at have dropouts for easy conversion to single speed. Why would you want to convert a hardtail mtb to single speed. Surely it isn't practical. Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There is no reason. It's just a mental illness that the sufferers are oblivious to.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The singlespeed has its advantages in deep mud - you will get at least 200m further along the trail before the rear triangle clogs up and you have to find a twig to clear it all out. Of course you won't be able to get started again because the single gear you have is much too hard and you either spin out or your legs can't turn it. By this time the person on a similarly clogged geared bike will be walking up the hill alongside you.

I have much respect for the real, angry singlespeeders that get it done and grind to the top of climbs with nothing but the sound of gritted teeth and popping cartlidge to keep them going.
  • Anonymous
    I pity them, to be honest.
    If I wanted to ride around in the same gear all the time, I'd just, not change gear!
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I have a singlespeed because I cracked the gripshifts on my hack-bike and couldn't be bothered replacing them :lol:
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    It's probably ok if you live in Holland where there are no hills! You could also have those breaks where you have to pedal backwards to stop hehe
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • Anonymous
    chedabob wrote:
    I have a singlespeed because I cracked the gripshifts on my hack-bike and couldn't be bothered replacing them :lol:
    ^^here is a typical example of one of the sufferers of this bizarre condition.
    He claims he couldn't be bothered replacing a shifter.
    He has, however, removed the shifter from the bar, removed the rear mech and all cabling, then split the chain, measured it and re-joined the right length. And probably fit some sort of chain tensioner.
    On top of all that, he's likely removed the fromt mech as well, and one or two chainrings.

Because he "couldn't be bothered" to replace a broken shifter pod.

See what I mean? It's a fascinating condition :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    convert to SS why?

just build it SS or fixed from the start.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chedabob
    chedabob wrote:
    ^^here is a typical example of one of the sufferers of this bizarre condition.
    He claims he couldn't be bothered replacing a shifter.
    He has, however, removed the shifter from the bar, removed the rear mech and all cabling, then split the chain, measured it and re-joined the right length. And probably fit some sort of chain tensioner.
    On top of all that, he's likely removed the fromt mech as well, and one or two chainrings.

Because he "couldn't be bothered" to replace a broken shifter pod.

See what I mean? It's a fascinating condition :lol:

Nope. All chainrings still attached, and no chain tensioner. Can't be bothered wasting money on a bike I use for the odd spin up to the shop. I'd never consider doing it on a good bike :lol:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    because they are for brown rice eating vegan lesbians called nigel
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Tried singlespeed and it was more interesting than I expected, you really have to try to conserve momentum (especially on a 29er) or you probably won't get up the next hill - I found it great for figuring out whether or not I really had to brake to get round a corner.

I couldn't live with it all the time, but I'm glad I tried it and could imagine myself getting one as a training tool.
  • Anonymous
    just don't change gear.
  • chedabob
    GHill wrote:
    Tried singlespeed and it was more interesting than I expected, you really have to try to conserve momentum (especially on a 29er) or you probably won't get up the next hill - I found it great for figuring out whether or not I really had to brake to get round a corner.

I couldn't live with it all the time, but I'm glad I tried it and could imagine myself getting one as a training tool.

Why don't you just not shift gears?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Because I'd give in and shift gears :wink:
  • Anonymous
    In that case then...In the words of something from Mortal Kombat

"YOU WEAK, PATHETIC FOOL"
  • I'd ride singlespeed purely for the lack of rattles and simplicity of the bike. I wouldn't set one up as a serious trail bike though. There's too many hills around here for that.
  • Anonymous
    chedabob wrote:
    Nope. All chainrings still attached, and no chain tensioner. Can't be bothered wasting money on a bike I use for the odd spin up to the shop. I'd never consider doing it on a good bike :lol:
    Well, then what you technically have there, then, is a broken bike, not a singlespeed.

I still maintain that my ideal bike would be a steel framed bike with 6" of rear suspension, a rigid carbon front fork, with gears, but a fixed hub.
    Singlespeed is just wrong.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    chedabob wrote:
    I suggested over on the Commuting forum that nobody actually needed a single speed as long as they had a normal bike and didn't change gear. They didn't like that very much :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, I have put that to them a a few times ;-)

The old 'it makes you fitter' argument is wrong too - geared bikes are heavier, and you can choose and even harder gear!

The only benefits I see are less weight, and less complexity.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the real reasons are this.

SS is fun.

fixed is scene.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    fixed is obscene.
  • chedabob
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    chedabob wrote:
    I suggested over on the Commuting forum that nobody actually needed a single speed as long as they had a normal bike and didn't change gear. They didn't like that very much :)

On a commuter bike though, the less weight and complexity, the better. And if you commute the same way every time, you're not going to be in the wrong gear if you pick the right one to start with.
  • I would think 'winter' is the best and perhaps only reason, it's about putting your regular steed safely wrapped up till spring and leaving behind those drivetrain cleaning blues in the freezing cold months, personally my hands go blue at times while cleaning, it's tempting to invest to be honest if it cuts some of that out.
  • Anonymous
    chedabob wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    chedabob wrote:

On a commuter bike though, the less weight and complexity, the better. And if you commute the same way every time, you're not going to be in the wrong gear if you pick the right one to start with.
    Unless your commute goes up and down hills.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    chedabob wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    chedabob wrote:

Like mine does....

There's a bloke on a SS that takes part of my route into Cental London. He can't keep up with me up or down the hilly bits so he resorts to jumping the lights to try to get ahead of me. I rest my case :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    Because I'm poor and singlespeed means i can change my sprocket and chain for less than a tenner.
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    You can tell by the slagging off from the likes of yeehaamcgee and others that they definatly haven't tried single speeding.

They are great for improving your fitness, hill climbing and general riding skills.
    They are easy to look after, you just dust off the dried on mud and give the chain a squirt of oil every so often.

For the record I've got 2 geared and 2 single speed bikes
  • chedabob
    chedabob wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    chedabob wrote:

Then you'd be stupid to switch to SS, or just MTFU.
  • supersonic
    I run gears so I can argue the SRAM vs Shimano debate...
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    i have 2 single speeds

a flat bar road single speed for commuting as gears cost more to replace when they ware

and a rigid steel single speed 29er because im trendy and it was REALLY cheap but i have no real use for it. id much rarther be out on my 27 speed xc bike.
  • supersonic
    Actually I have 27 single speeds, but only about 13 are unique.