why single speed

Comments

• :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would imagine a coach would like to teach the benefits of maintaining cadence.
  • Mtbing over the recent years new machines new tech being made more accesable by less able riders.Thats not a bad thing its all good for the industry big sales on hi-tech machines.Remote lockouts,droppable seatposts, no innertubes,10 speed set ups what next.For me next is a step back simplicity one gear rigid and steel,very rewarding and a differant style of riding.Not always my choice but can cope with all my local loops has to offer(Cannock Chase)32 -17 gearing.At my tender age 41 reminds me of my bmx days, my poor knees and back cant cope with it every weekend, but a hard choice between the pace 325.5 or genesis io . Give it a go i was pleasantly surprised.Must admit feel a bit of a pleb using on my commute legs going 10 tom the dozen and not getting too far.
    PACE RC325.5 1x9

GENESIS io SS
  • ts69
    ts69 Posts: 6
    Why single speed?

Maybe the answer to this is the old 'If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand'.

Something about it just appeals to some people. Those people probably know it doesn't necessarily make any sense, and don't care.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    I would imagine a coach would like to teach the benefits of maintaining cadence.
    Don't be silly, coaches have engines. Cadence is of little importance to them, more like RPM.
    57_seater_luxury_coach.jpg
    AND they have lots of gears.
  • Anonymous
    ts69 wrote:
    Something about it just appeals to some people. Those people probably know it doesn't necessarily make any sense, and don't care.
    But most of them really do seem to care, and really do think it makes sense.
    Which is what I find hysterical.
    It's like watching the mongs auditioning for the X-factor. You know, and I know they can't sing, but they don't know that.
    Yet, we still find humour in watching them :lol:
  • ryan1702
    ryan1702 Posts: 40
    SS is mainly used for DH style riding where gears arent really needed, not sure why you would need the drop out for conversion on a hardtail tho unless its meant for DH
    I thought a thought that I thought I had thought but the thought that I had thought wasn't the thought that I had thought I had thought so maybe if I had thought the thought that I thought I thought I wouldn't of thought so much!
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    ryan1702 wrote:
    SS is mainly used for DH style riding where gears arent really needed

Well that's a new one on me. I can't see Steve Pete winning many things with only one gear.

SS improve your fitness especially on the climbs.

So, lets take a trail centre loop like the Marin Trail. I'm quicker on it on my SS because I'm faster on the climbs than my geared bike were I tend to change down and spin a low gear and you spend 75 to 80% of your riding time climbing or undulating these centres don't you?

If I was to do say 3 laps then I'd definatly be quicker with a geared bike as 2 laps are my limit without pushing the steep bits on my SS
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    ryan1702 wrote:
    SS is mainly used for DH style riding where gears arent really needed,

:shock: Eh! gears are needed mate, just bigger ones!
  • ryan1702 wrote:
    SS is mainly used for DH style riding where gears arent really needed, not sure why you would need the drop out for conversion on a hardtail tho unless its meant for DH

and you get to the top how?
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    May I ask why you don't 'allow' people who ride SS bikes on your courses?

Is it something personal, or do you just think that they don't require any coaching from you?

Cannock IMHO is very well suited to the exploits of a SS rider

Oh god, please don't open that can of worms! :D

Nothing against SS or the people who ride them, it just that certain aspects of SS have a slightly differing techinque and application to a geared bike, therefore, just wouldn't be suited (or fair to the other participants) to the course.
    Craig Rogers
  • Anonymous
    John Moore wrote:
    So, lets take a trail centre loop like the Marin Trail. I'm quicker on it on my SS because I'm faster on the climbs than my geared bike were I tend to change down and spin a low gear and you spend 75 to 80% of your riding time climbing or undulating these centres don't you?
    If you wanted to be fast, then you wouldn't change down on your geared bike either though.
  • x-isle
    edited August 2010
    Ha ha, this is an argument that will never end until someone gives up! :lol:

Tom, I never really took it to heart, I just gave up hope :P

...and, BREAKING NEWS....... We are considering, maybe, possibly, thinking about contemplating, scratching our heads, looking into, the possibility of allowing SS in the future once the courses have "settled down".

Watch this space.......and no, it's not me giving in! 8)
    Craig Rogers
  • John Moore
    If you wanted to be fast, then you wouldn't change down on your geared bike either though.

Good point, but if your weak willed like I am and you have the option to change down if you have the choice I tend to use the gears.

SS's are a great out of the saddle fitness training tool on the hills and rigid bikes help you pick a better line through techie stuff but that's for another post :wink:
  • Anonymous
    x-isle wrote:
    Ha ha, this is an argument that will never end until someone gives up! :lol:

Tom, I never really took it to heart, I just gave up hope :P
    It's because they're insane!
    And their insanity has met it's match. :lol:

I mean, it takes one to know one, right?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708

Can you explain this in more detail?
  • x-isle
    supersonic wrote:

I was waiting for someone to ask that as I also don't beleive this to be the case.

Fitness is stamina, from my old road days, stamina comes from spinning high cadences. We used to train at around 120rpm which is fairly high.

This I assume is similar to spinning classes that you see at the gym these days.

Pushing a single speed may improve muscle strength but thats not fitness.

I guess this is similar to a weight lifter, strong as hell, but he won't be able to run a marathon.

That's my take on it all anyway. :D
    Craig Rogers
  • John Moore
    supersonic wrote:

Not really but since I've been SSing I've never felt fitter and over a 2 hour hilly(ish) ride I'm normally faster on with only the one gear
  • Anonymous
    I really don't think fitness IS stamina.
    If that was the case, 100m sprinters could be considered unfit.
  • x-isle
    Yeah, get your point, but fitness is all about how quick your body can react and recover from exertion. Sprinters have stamina, but it's explosive stamina to be able to keep going over the 100meters.
    Craig Rogers
  • Anonymous
    huh?
    Pretty sure you're wrong on that.
    Stamina:
    The energy and strength for continuing to do something over a long period of time

Stamina requires fitness, but is not fitness in and of itself. It is entirely possible to be super-fit, but have very little stamina.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    ok lets re-iterate "why single-speed?"

1. less maintenance - makes it excellent for long distance riding, dirt jumping and commuting
    2. Improves your strength/climbing ability - and thus overall fitness
    3. Improves your technique - you will find yourself being more aware of maintaining momentum rather than being lazy and changing gear

and I can't believe the skills course dude doesn't allow single speeders on his courses at Cannock Chase! It's one of the places I can happily bomb around in a single gear... maybe it's because he realises the single-speeders are already superior technically so his teachings would be wasted :P
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Anonymous
    CycloRos wrote:
    maybe it's because he realises the single-speeders are already superior technically so his teachings would be wasted :P
    Or maybe it's because singlespeeders are so ingrained with an aura of "I'm right, you're not" that there's just no point trying to teach them anything? :lol:
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    :lol: there's really nothing to be right or wrong about though now is there, it's just a choice. A choice which some folks just don't get blatantly.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Anonymous
    Well, you could CHOOSE to chop a leg off. Or you could CHOOOOOOSE to drive your car everywhere in reverse.
    It's not wrong, in the traditional sense of the word, but it still is just so god damned wrong! :lol:
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    What is the ratio of a single speed bike?
    Mountain or road?
    I fancy a fixed road bike,a MTB fixie would be to much like hard work,although the mechanics would be so much easier.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    They are very good training tools, for improving your fitness and building your strength.

They hobble you in exactly the same way as running with weights. On some rides the trade off in dropped wieght is certainly worth it though.
  • Anonymous
    They are very good training tools, for improving your fitness and building your strength.

They hobble you in exactly the same way as running with weights. On some rides the trade off in dropped wieght is certainly worth it though.
    I'd argue, and I will, in fact I'm going to...
    That it's more like tying your shoelaces together to restrict your gait, than training with weights.

There is NO reason, if you're trying to get fit, that you can't ride a proper, real, bike in a higher gear.
    Also, with a real bike, there's the option of shifting to an even HIGHER gear.
  • Anonymous
    now, im not one to generalise, but arent single speeders just too poor to have gears? (with the exception of jones owners)