why single speed

Comments

• Mynameisdann
    Mynameisdann Posts: 665
    edited August 2010
    I want a ss jump bike, just for the lack of problems that may occur, or could something like a stinger prety much eliminate the chain jumping off upon my bad landings on a Geared bike? :X
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I have 4 ss bikes and only one geared bike.

I cannot afford to maintain 5 geared bikes, plus for some jobs i really don't need the extra gears.

For me it's a case of simplicity, low weight (steel ss inbred @ 24lbs and carbon geared 456 @ 25lbs) and lack of maintenance.
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    There is no reason. It's just a mental illness that the sufferers are oblivious to.

Hahaha! agree with that one. I can see why you might run it if you lived somewhere like Hertfordshire, I'd still have gears though. It does mean you can be fairly lazy with cleaning and maintaining your bike.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Brushing mud off, oiling chain?
    Sounds like you crazy singlespeeders are doing more maintenance than I am. :shock:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think SS is like having sex with an extra thick condom - might not break as easily, and less chance of slippage, but ruins the ride and takes you longer to finish.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    I run gears so I can argue the SRAM vs Shimano debate...
    Ah, don't get me started on that one!
    I absolutely loathe the shifters I currently have on the bike. I just cannot get them positioned so that they don't constantly dig into my thumb joint but are still within reach.
    GRRRRRR
    Will definitely be swapping them out when the mech wears out or breaks.

Come to think of it, I wonder if that's WHY I'm doing less maintenance than the singe geared mentalists? :lol:
  • I want a ss jump bike, just for the lack of problems that may occur, or could something like a stinger prety much eliminate the chain jumping off upon my bad landings on a Geared bike? :X

Any help anybody :o?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,762
    edited August 2010
    John Moore wrote:
    You can tell by the slagging off from the likes of yeehaamcgee and others that they definatly haven't tried single speeding.
    I've tried it by not changing gear on my commute in just like I suggested above and it sucks. The uphills I do were nigh on impossible and I spun out going downhill. Got bored and went back to 20 speed, way better.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anonymous
    I want a ss jump bike, just for the lack of problems that may occur, or could something like a stinger prety much eliminate the chain jumping off upon my bad landings on a Geared bike? :X

Any help anybody :o?
    Ah right.
    Now, a proper jump bike is one place where singlespeed really can make sense. They tend to be crashed repeatedly, and the less things there are to break, the better.
    However, if you do want to keep the gears (say, you might want to ride to and from the trails) then yes, a stinger will almost completely prevent the chain from coming off the chainrings.
    I say almost, because since fitting the stinger on mine, I have not lost the chain at all, but there must be some circumstances where it will come off I guess.
  • Ah okay well im expecting to crash alot but not to fast, and yeh i will be riding it to and from, might go for a geared one then :p, cheers :P
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    John Moore wrote:
    You can tell by the slagging off from the likes of yeehaamcgee and others that they definatly haven't tried single speeding....
    They are easy to look after, you just dust off the dried on mud and give the chain a squirt of oil every so often.
    +1 in 8 months of single speed commuting and XC duties I've probably spent a grand total of 2 hours on maintenance!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Anonymous
    CycloRos wrote:
    John Moore wrote:
    You can tell by the slagging off from the likes of yeehaamcgee and others that they definatly haven't tried single speeding....
    They are easy to look after, you just dust off the dried on mud and give the chain a squirt of oil every so often.
    +1 in 8 months of single speed commuting and XC duties I've probably spent a grand total of 2 hours on maintenance!
    Well, after over a year, apart from changing forks, I've done precisely nothing. Bike has been ridden through sun rain mud snow, hail, summer and winter.
    I haven't even cleaned it, it rains here often enough that it'll get washed whilst I ride next time anyway, more often than not.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    To be fair unless you've actually tried it for a decent amount of time there's very little room for comment.

I used to think that single speeding was a bit nuts, but then I tried it and now I have a SS mtb and a SS commuter.

The SS commuter was a replacement for my geared (2x9) flat barred road bike, I just wasn't using more than 3 gears on my 9 mile commute across London, so thought to myself why bother with the maintenance and got a SS bike, much better and geared right just as quick as my old geared bike.

The SS MTB is great for blasts round my local woods, has turned me into a better climber as you've got to get the technique right and build your endurance otherwise you have no chance. It's even got me looking at other trails in a different way, if they're single speedable or not and would it benefit the ride?

But as they say it's Horses for Courses, if this wasn't the case then people wouldn't need to ride 6" bikes everywhere :wink:
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    To be fair unless you've actually tried it for a decent amount of time there's very little room for comment.

Seconded.....don't knock it until your properly tried it
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    Tried it, don't like it. Respect to people like Matt Carr who'll turn up to a 24 hour solo and win the entire elite category on a singlespeed.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    Tried it, don't like it.

But at least you're not slagging it off like those who haven't tried it for a few rides
  • Anonymous
    John Moore wrote:
    Shaggy_Dog wrote:
    Tried it, don't like it.

But at least you're not slagging it off like those who haven't tried it for a few rides
    We have fricking gears! if we choose to ride in a single gear, we can
    (facepalm)
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    John Moore wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:

That puts it in the same category as gay sex.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    CycloRos wrote:
    John Moore wrote:
    Well, after over a year, apart from changing forks, I've done precisely nothing. Bike has been ridden through sun rain mud snow, hail, summer and winter.
    I haven't even cleaned it, it rains here often enough that it'll get washed whilst I ride next time anyway, more often than not.
    With that amount of maintenance on a geared bike either your drivetrain is fooked or you don't ride very often! The point I was making is the time spent on maintenance of my SS is considerably less than on my geared bikes
    We have fricking gears! if we choose to ride in a single gear, we can
    (facepalm)
    and most of us have gears on other bikes yet we still choose to ride SS in certain situations, crazy hey!
    go and find something else you know nothing about to comment on :wink:
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    John Moore wrote:
    Steve_b77 wrote:

That puts it in the same category as sex.

:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528

I cannot afford to maintain 5 geared bikes, plus for some jobs i really don't need the extra gears.

For me it's a case of simplicity, low weight (steel ss inbred @ 24lbs and carbon geared 456 @ 25lbs) and lack of maintenance.

But you have managed to convince yourself that you NEED 5 bikes?
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    This is so entertaining! :) Please keep it up.

Some of the local lads at Cannock think that I HATE SS, not really, just not my thing as I've not got the determination to want to push the "wrong" gear up a hill.

I also don't allow any SS bikes on my courses, so have been getting stick for ages about it!

Please continue, I'm loving this one! :wink:
    Craig Rogers
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Nothing against single speed bikes really. But personally don't like the look of them. Look more like a shopping bike.

And they simply can't be as versatile.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Monkeypump wrote:

But you have managed to convince yourself that you NEED 5 bikes?

Yup, i definitely need 5 bikes...

The ss road bike for commuting, the ss 456 for commuting when really wet and for coaching rowing/going to regattas, the ss inbred for flat mtb rides, the ss jump bike because i dont want to smash the rear mech, and the geared 456 for fun!
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Maybe this can be the logo for the SS nut job club?

ss-house-flag001.jpg
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2010
    x-isle wrote:

Some of the local lads at Cannock think that I HATE SS, not really, just not my thing as I've not got the determination to want to push the "wrong" gear up a hill.

I also don't allow any SS bikes on my courses, so have been getting stick for ages about it!

i know, it's brill!
    Even though I see no value in SS bikes, apart from dirt jumping rigs, I just don't care enough to hate them or get annoyed.
    it is fun poking a tongue in cheek jab at them though.
    the diehard SS nutters who are in dire need of medication are best though. :lol:
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    My windup line is always........

"Nice BMX!" :)
    Craig Rogers
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    May I ask why you don't 'allow' people who ride SS bikes on your courses?

Is it something personal, or do you just think that they don't require any coaching from you?

Cannock IMHO is very well suited to the exploits of a SS rider
  • Anonymous
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    May I ask why you don't 'allow' people who ride SS bikes on your courses?
    Maybe because it pays not to let those people mix with the public?
    Much better to have them nice and safe in an institution.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    x-isle wrote:

Non of the guys off the forum think that you hate SS Craig (I aint a SSer btw!) I cant speak for them all, but I think that you took the pee taking to heart on the forum-it was all intended in good nature....

As for not allowing SS on your course, then thats your perogative-although will prevent some people from giving you custom....

"pushing the wrong gear uphill" Suppose thats personal opinion isnt it-I aint SS but rode most of the climbs on the Monkey trail 32-15 a few weeks back......its only the wrong gear if you cant put enough power down to use it.