why single speed

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, Jones owners are too poor to afford gears, since they bought their Jones bikes.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    what's that old saying? oh yeah, you can't educate pork! :roll:

this thread has amused me, how people who've never tried something can totally disregard it as being "mad" and have such a strong, negative opinion on it! ignorance is ripe!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • John Moore
    John Moore Posts: 580
    You leave my single speeded Jones out of it.

I'll race any of you geared, susspensioned aided riders around The Marin or Llandegla if you fancy seeing how fast and how fit your bikes make you :P

Can I have a mid life crisis handycapped start?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    John Moore wrote:

oh lord. he's ruined it already :?
  • Big Dave
    Big Dave Posts: 85
    It always amuses me that people who have never ridden singlespeed think others do it because they are too poor to afford gears or think they are trying to prove how tough they are.

I've had a single speed bike in the past and I'm building another one up at the moment. Why? Because it's fun. Yes it is harder work at times but overall riding a single speed is just like riding any other bike and I generally find that I don't miss gears as I'm too busy getting on with the serious business of riding and enjoying my surroundings.

I ain't fat, merely optimised for gravity.
  • Anonymous
    Big Dave wrote:
    It always amuses me that people who have never ridden singlespeed think others do it because they are too poor to afford gears or think they are trying to prove how tough they are.
    I never made any claims about being fit or tough. As far as I know, none of the normal riders have.
    However, if we were to think of singlespeeders in the manner that you suggest, then we wouldn't be far off the mark when we have things like this being said, would we?
    John Moore wrote:
    I'll race any of you geared, susspensioned aided riders around The Marin or Llandegla if you fancy seeing how fast and how fit your bikes make you :P

See, I really couldn't give a crap how fit my bike makes me. I ride for fun. If I wanted to suffer whilst riding, maybe I'd attach a set of nipple clamps by a chain to the handlebar or something.
  • Anonymous
    John Moore wrote:

against me you wont need it, no matter how many gears i have :lol:
  • Anonymous
    John Moore wrote:

against me you wont need it, no matter how many gears i have :lol:
    What if you had 6, and an engine?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    CycloRos wrote:
    what's that old saying? oh yeah, you can't educate pork! :roll:

this thread has amused me, how people who've never tried something can totally disregard it as being "mad" and have such a strong, negative opinion on it! ignorance is ripe!

Has anyone admitted to not having tried it though? I have, and it is not for me!
  • Anonymous
    to be fair, i havent tried single speeding.

i havent tried cutting my head off either and im certain i wouldnt fancy that.
  • Anonymous
    to be fair, i havent tried single speeding.
    Sure you have. Then you realised "hmm, this is the wrong speed to be using"
    So you changed gears to another single speed, briefly.
  • Anonymous
    true, its very handy to have 27 single speeds even if some of them are duplicated.
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    I have a single speed 456 and a geared Inbred.

I like both for different reasons. Alot of places I ride, single speed fits the bill perfect. Absolutly no reason to have gears. BUT, I must admit I have been caught out where I wish I had gears but thats not often at all.

I just wish those folks out there who have never tried it would stop slagging it off. One very opionated individual in particular :?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    i do admit that single speed bikes make fantastic-ly cool and functional beach bikes
  • Anonymous
    RobGT wrote:
    I just wish those folks out there who have never tried it would stop slagging it off. One very opionated individual in particular :?
    Oh hai! :D
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Singlespeed is:
    Simple, no need to work my braincell.
    Silent, no clattering through peaceful woods like a geared Lycra terrorist.
    Hard, when you reach a climb you have to attack, there's no option to shift to granny ring and girl your way up, it's man up or walk up.
    Interesting, it takes the clinical perfect cadence riding away and replaces it with the need for the flow and finesse that geared boys will never have.

That's why.
  • Anonymous
    Alex wrote:
    Singlespeed is:
    Simple, no need to work my braincell.
    Silent, no clattering through peaceful woods like a geared Lycra terrorist.
    Hard, when you reach a climb you have to attack, there's no option to shift to granny ring and girl your way up, it's man up or walk up.
    Interesting, it takes the clinical perfect cadence riding away and replaces it with the need for the flow and finesse that geared boys will never have.

That's why.

oh burrrrother. :roll:

there is no way im being told to man up by alex.
  • Anonymous
    Too right.
    Although I agree that "simple" is probably best for singlespeeders.
  • Anonymous
    as far as i can tell the simple part is the only tangible advantage, lower maintenace, cheaper to maintain when it needs doing.

its the general hippyness that comes along with it that i love to hate. for example, the reason i like gears is because they are fun and i like to ride them.

thats not so hard is it.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Clatterclatterclatter crrruuuunch grind clatterclatterclatter snick crunch ticktickticktick clatterclatterclatterclatter crunch crunch crunch clatter.

Or

"...."

A determined Singlespeed rider becomes a better, more capable rider,which means that when winter is over and we climb on to geared bikes that are working and haven't cost us a fortune in bits, we can spank the skirt wearers, who've been riding in the granny ring all winter, straight up the first climb and every one after that.

Teeth, yes, slice off your mech hanger and be a man on your rides. Unless you're prepared to be out manned by myself?
  • Anonymous
    Alex wrote:

Teeth, yes, slice off your mech hanger and be a man on your rides. Unless you're prepared to be out manned by myself?

impossible. (i think)
  • Anonymous
    Alex wrote:
    Clatterclatterclatter crrruuuunch grind clatterclatterclatter snick crunch ticktickticktick clatterclatterclatterclatter crunch crunch crunch clatter.
    Go the knees of the singlespeeders after the age of 35.
    Seriously, this maintenance thing is nonsense. I just cleaned my drivetrain today for the first time since I bought the bike. That's over a bloody year ago.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708

You should learn to set your gears up reight. Unless that is the sound of your knees, because you are in the wrong gear. :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but that is the noise compared to a SS. but it is also the noise of a chain compared to a belt.

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    but that is the noise compared to a SS. but it is also the noise of a chain compared to a belt.

Oh no. Worms, Can, opened. Are you wanting in on the troling club? :lol:

Some of those belt drives had geared hubs mind.
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:

Oh no. Worms, Can, opened. Are you wanting in on the troling club? :lol:

Some of those belt drives had geared hubs mind.

its the only straight way you could own a bike with a belt drive.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    Alex wrote:
    Go the knees of the singlespeeders after the age of 35.
    Singlespeed riding won't hurt your knees. If anything, it will help them, because it strengthens the muscles around them.

I ride SS occasionally. Why? Frankly, because it's an unbelievable amount of fun. Forcing myself to get up the climbs, because I know I can't shift down, pumping the descents for any extra speed they can give because I know I can't shift up or pedal any faster. No noise, no worrying about what my gears are doing, just riding.

As soon as I've done D2D at the start of October, the gears come off the bike and get put in a box until spring, and the SS cog and chainring go on. And I love it.
  • Anonymous
    I ride singlespeed too. Until I decide to change gear.
    Seriously though, all the physios I saw stated the importance of correct gear selection. Whilst they may have only intended whilst recovering/rehabilitating, I assumed they also meant in general, to prevent knee damage.

I was certainly warned off SPDs (due to the odd angle of my knee now)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    I ride singlespeed too. Until I decide to change gear.
    Seriously though, all the physios I saw stated the importance of correct gear selection. Whilst they may have only intended whilst recovering/rehabilitating, I assumed they also meant in general, to prevent knee damage.

I was certainly warned off SPDs (due to the odd angle of my knee now)
    As someone who already has buggered knees (if I don't exercise enough, they dislocate when I try to do something as crazy as standing up or walking), for me at least, pushing hard gears at least some of the time is a very, very good idea.
  • Anonymous
    Other way round for me, see. They're fine if I'm active, but if I stop for a bit, I have to build up to bigger gears, or my knee kind of bends sideways.
    I tend to push massive gears anyway though, it's the way I ride. I even experimented a while ago with riding everywhere standing up.