Etape Caladonia

Comments

• Uggi
    Uggi Posts: 24
    well just packed my bag and on the train Sat lunch time. Pretty well organised bike booked on train both direction, even have a table booked at victorias for dinner.

Shame I forgot about the fitness and training. But hey I love cycling and Scottish landscapes and closed roads couldnt resist.

For all those fit racing snakes, just remeber some of us slow unfit overweight riders love cycling, and the sport just as much as you guys.

thanks for all the advice and good luck to everyone, enjoy. 3111
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Bompington, Crofter, Wallace... see you at the house on Saturday night.

Good luck & have fun to all! If you see a bloke on a black Trek then say hi.
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    themightyw wrote:
    Bompington, Crofter, Wallace... see you at the house on Saturday night.

Good luck & have fun to all! If you see a bloke on a black Trek then say hi.

Bompington, Crofter, Wallace. Mighty W - see you all at the House on saturday night, looking forward to it.

Good luck to everyone and if you see a tall skinny ginger bloke on a White Team carbon Boardman say hello - albeit i'm wave Z, so the chance of many of you seeing me are very remote! :shock:
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Met Office now saying Heavy Rain for Finnart (top end of Loch Rannoch) on Sunday :cry:

Looking forward to it tho'. See you all at the house.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    thecrofter wrote:
    Met Office now saying Heavy Rain for Finnart (top end of Loch Rannoch) on Sunday :cry:

Looking forward to it tho'. See you all at the house.

See you all there, bring your waterproofs - the weather maps are looking a bit different now, high pressure looks to be fading rather than building and that warm front looks like it'll hit Rannoch at about 1000 :cry:

FSXX00T_48.jpg
    FSXX00T_60.jpg
  • thecrofter
    bompington wrote:
    that warm front looks like it'll hit Rannoch at about 1000 :cry:

Just need to be back down to Aberfeldy by then :)
  • Trinafour
    Trinafour Posts: 36
    Come Rain or More Rain I have a sneaky feeling I'll enjoy myself!

Off up to registration tonight. Wave X start now was I being realistic of my time or just not confident enough to start further up the pack!

Just a shame the new Etape Cycle top will be hidden under a jacket on Sunday.
  • 3stripe
    3stripe Posts: 40
    This is my first spotive, canny wait now, no matter how much it rains.. although the forecast doesn't seem to bad now. Have been doing loops around North London (hills) and Hyde Park (speed)... probably the fittest I've been since I was a kid now :)

Is this the turn-off to the short hill at Logierat?
    CycleLove — celebrating bike culture
    www.cyclelove.net
  • bompington
    3stripe wrote:
    This is my first spotive, canny wait now, no matter how much it rains.. although the forecast doesn't seem to bad now. Have been doing loops around North London (hills) and Hyde Park (speed)... probably the fittest I've been since I was a kid now :)

Yes, it's really not a problem if you're not half asleep. Steep but short, I've never found it that bad - it's the couple of little climbs later on before you drop to Pitlochry that always get my legs - every year so far I've been cramping by this stage.
  • 3stripe
    3stripe Posts: 40
    Been practising on Swains Lane so I should be alright.. unlike to be asleep...

4820500683_9980b3e179.jpg
    CycleLove — celebrating bike culture
    www.cyclelove.net
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Yeah that is it. I know it doesnt look too bad on streetview, not exactly alpe d'huez, and generally it is ok if you are ready before the turn, the problem is if it takes you by surprise particularly on the inside line - it is steep enough to lose momentum quickly (the previous section is fairly fast) and cause problems changing out of the big ring under load. Also with the road narrowing it bunches the riders up a bit and it only takes one struggling at the front to cause problems for others because there isn't really much room to get past.
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    aye just make sure you gear down before rolling round the corner.. no fun hitting that in 53-16 after 75miles.
  • bompington
    trailstar wrote:
    aye just make sure you gear down before rolling round the corner.. no fun hitting that in 53-16 after 75miles.
    This. There is literally a racket from grinding gears if it's busy.
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    if your phillipe gilbert though.. crank upto 53-11 :-D
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Can't see it being too busy when I try to haul my carcass up there! :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    d4evr wrote:
    Can't see it being too busy when I try to haul my carcass up there! :lol:
    +1 Hopefully it means no one will see me fall :wink:
  • eggyh73
    eggyh73 Posts: 8
    I thought I'd be one of the few worrying about falling. I still have a vision of me blowing up on a hill and not being able to unclip in time before a comedy fall.

At least if it's wet I may soften the blow by landing in a puddle!

Finally got my start wave confirmed (T), think I was a tad optomistic with my predicted below 5:30 time.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    bompington wrote:
    3stripe wrote:

Yes, it's really not a problem if you're not half asleep. Steep but short, I've never found it that bad - it's the couple of little climbs later on before you drop to Pitlochry that always get my legs - every year so far I've been cramping by this stage.

Agree, the ones further on, although not as steep caught me out more. I was expecting Logierait, much like SPECTRE always expect James Bond, but the others were like a SEAL team, just turning up out of the blue and giving you a really hard time.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    The nerves seem to have hit me today. So I've basically abandoned trying to concentrate on work and am looking over the info booklet again and google streetviewing the route :?
  • thecrofter
    suzyb wrote:
    The nerves seem to have hit me today. So I've basically abandoned trying to concentrate on work and am looking over the info booklet again and google streetviewing the route :?
    Unfortunately Streetview gives you no impression of the gradients, however. Still a great tool for familiarising yourself tho' and whiling away half an hour.
  • thecrofter
    Agree, the ones further on, although not as steep caught me out more. I was expecting Logierait, much like SPECTRE always expect James Bond, but the others were like a SEAL team, just turning up out of the blue and giving you a really hard time.

I think the worst one is actually the very last climb up to the wee farm with about two miles to go, just as steep and double the length of the Logierait one. I was pretty done in by that time last year. Even the slope up to the finish line was a trial, I thought I would try to get out of the saddle and go for the last hundred, but as soon as I stood up my thighs started to threaten cramp, ended up rolling over the mat with a steely grin on my face for the camera. I don't think I could have done another 1 or 2 miles even. Mind you that's the way it should be I suppose.
  • thecrofter
    Here's the profile of the wee road from Logierait to the finish, just 'cos I'm feeling evil

sdoc4555.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:twisted:
  • suzyb
    thecrofter wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Unfortunately Streetview gives you no impression of the gradients, however. Still a great tool for familiarising yourself tho' and whiling away half an hour.
    Even more nervous now, thanks :?
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    I hope STV have got their forecast badly wrong, according to them Sunday starts bad and gets steadily worse!! :(
    What will be will be!!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Typical Weather - F**king country you cant organise anything ......It just cant F**king help itself to rain eh...If i hear them diddy`s saying the rain will be good news for the gardeners i will go potty. - Dont you just hate being on your good bike and having to bloody virtually wear a divers suit in may. ..Sorry rant over
  • thecrofter
    suzyb wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Even more nervous now, thanks :?

Always a pleasure :lol:

As I've said on numerous occasions on this thread, the hills are not to be feared, it is a fantastic ride out in the country, through some of the most beautiful scenery Scotland has to offer. And yes I am biased'cos it's where I was born. As you go past the row of ex-Hydro houses at Lochview in Killichonan have a look. No. 4 was where I entered this world, and I well remember playing in the garden and swimming in the Loch and walking on the Loch when it froze in winter!!!
    You will enjoy yourself, SuzyB, regardless of the hills and the weather, and I'm sure you will also surprise yourself. :D
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    Good evening

Are there big queues etc at the food stops or can you get going again in no time?

I'm planning on taking enough food but thinking of just using the one bottle and refilling to save weight. Or is this a bad idea and use two bottles?

Thanks in advance.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Jaggy to save weight i use the 1 bottle - usually try and drink it before the 2nd feed.There is plenty of water (better be its being sponsored by a water company) you wont need to wait just barge your way in prob be too wet to hang around so just top up your bottle and get on your way.....would have taken 2 but its to piss down so will need to take the blasted saddle bag with me as il need my pockets for food and wet weather gear......Just make sure you down a good few fluids at breakfast coffee tea orange juice etc.....No need to worry about the UCI dope control for caffeine abuse. :D
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    Thanks for your reply.

Cheers
  • Full Merckx
    Full Merckx Posts: 143
    Whoa guys,
    It's a great day> there are thousands (and yes there are) of cyclists all pottering around> Grab a wheel and stick with it, if you lose it, grab another, nae probs. No cars, hunners of bikes, it's magic. Enjoy !