Etape Caladonia

socrates
socrates Posts: 453
I am considering the Etape Caladonia and was looking for some info. gradients, what gearing did you use etc. have done the Fred Whitton 3 times and wondered how it compared. Any info appreciated.

Comments

• ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Compared to the FW it is very easy. Only one climb of note & that isn't hard. The USP is closed roads & it is well worth doing it for that.
  • mabarbie
    mabarbie Posts: 64
    Did the Etape Caledonia this year in prep for the Etape du Tour. I have a compact front and a 12-25 rear. Don't think I went to 40-25 in the etape caledonia.

I would cut it down into four sections.

The ride to Schiehallion - lots of up and downs but nothing to worry about greatly. Mostly big ring.

Sciehallion I found quite easy, gets a little steep near the begining but then tapers off and you can go big ring for most of it. Descent was long (and quick on wide roads)!!

Long drag from the bottom of Sciehallion to Logierait, get yourself in a nice group.

At the end at Logierait there is a sharp left turn and then very steep for a bit, but once you get over the bump, its a nice ride home, the worst is done. Your momentum should take you most of the way up the bump, so long as you don't have too many people infront getting in your way.

Enjoy the open (closed) roads!!

One tip - get there early as it can be a bit of a logjam on the main road
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Thanks. Will try for an entry
  • 3stripe
    3stripe Posts: 40
    As a Scot marooned in London this is very tempting, it would be my first organized race of any kind though, anything to be aware of?
    CycleLove — celebrating bike culture
    www.cyclelove.net
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    3stripe wrote:
    As a Scot marooned in London this is very tempting, it would be my first organized race of any kind though, anything to be aware of?

The day itself is very good with nothing to worry about as long as you are familiar with hills.
    You have to check in the day before and although Pitlochry may be slightly remote, accomodation can be rather pricey and fully booked early.

For those with an inclination and prepared to stump up for a whole weekend, I can thoroughly recommend it :P

Fern Cottage restaurant is my top tip for quality food. Cyclist friendly to the point of having a specific specials menu for the night before. Book now.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    There is plenty of accomodation near enough if Pitlochry is full.

Perth is less than 20mins away at the time of morning the start will be and there are all kinds of rooms there.....Gleneagles Hotel is probably 30-40mins away they've some nice rooms for £1,500/night :shock: 8)
  • mabarbie
    mabarbie Posts: 64
    3stripe, it was my first organised race too, and it was very very good, the closed roads were the best thing for me, not having to worry about oncoming traffic especially when descending Schiehallion.

I would say it was a good introduction, and I suppose I was lucky it wasn't raining!!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I'm entering this and will travel from London.

Looking at the overnight coach anyone done this journey before?
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Socrates,

If you have done the Fred Whitton, then this is flat event in comparison.

I would break the event it down into 5 sections

The first is slightly lumpy

The second is fast with a lot of drafting

The third is the climb over Sciehallion

The forth is flat again with a lot of drafting

The fifth is a climb over a moderate lump on tired legs.

I have previously done this event before on a triple and never used the inside ring. Last year I was on a compact however I would quite happily do this event on a standard double i.e. 42 x 26.

There were no protests last year and the locals were out in force to cheer us on.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    SOLD OUT ALREADY!

Glad I got in there early.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    SOLD OUT ALREADY!

Does this answer the question about what's the point of sportives? Probably not to sub55's satisfaction, so that's obviously a lot of egotistical mugs paying over the odds to kid themselves on that they're racers so they can brag about their times to their mates in the pub.

Or alternatively a lot of people who'll enjoy the buzz of a big event, push themselves as hard or otherwise as they want, and generally have a great day out. See you there.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    bompington wrote:
    SOLD OUT ALREADY!

Does this answer the question about what's the point of sportives? Probably not to sub55's satisfaction, so that's obviously a lot of egotistical mugs paying over the odds to kid themselves on that they're racers so they can brag about their times to their mates in the pub.

Or alternatively a lot of people who'll enjoy the buzz of a big event, push themselves as hard or otherwise as they want, and generally have a great day out. See you there.

Paragraph 2 thanks :)
  • done this ride this year really good ride.missed it for next year fully booked :cry:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Still places if you ride for the MacMillan trust.
  • Hmm there are no bike spaces on the trains up from London on the Saturday... anyone got any suggestions for delivery/getting bikes up there?!
    CycleLove — celebrating bike culture
    www.cyclelove.net
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    3stripe wrote:
    Hmm there are no bike spaces on the trains up from London on the Saturday... anyone got any suggestions for delivery/getting bikes up there?!

Why not get a PO box and post your bike bit by bit over the next few months (spread the cost) then build it up when you get there ? :wink: (joke)

Can you not take a bike bag and a daysack for yourself on the train ?
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    3stripe, where about in the country are you? I will be driving up and may have space in car for a bike or possibly 2. PM me if interested
    fay ce que voudres
  • Uggi
    Uggi Posts: 24
    Hi anyone else having problems getting there bike to Pitlochry.

I have my train booked, accomodation booked. But alas no room for the bike (by beloved Allez) any suggestions.

Thank you
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    Uggi

you have a PM.
    fay ce que voudres
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Looking forward to this.... Got a great buzz last year doing it, and want to better the time I set, though not too bothered if it is not by much.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    This will be my first attempt at anything organised - and I'm also very much looking forward to it.

I only bought my bike in October and I'm not getting in enough miles, but I'm doing quite a bit of time in the gym and have lost a fair bit of weight.

I've set a target of 5 hours, but I've no idea if that's feasible or not.

James
  • Wallace1492
    Pigtail wrote:
    This will be my first attempt at anything organised - and I'm also very much looking forward to it.

I only bought my bike in October and I'm not getting in enough miles, but I'm doing quite a bit of time in the gym and have lost a fair bit of weight.

James

My target lat year was 5.5 to 6 hrs, was scared of being caught by the sweep bus. As it turned out did it in just over 4.5, average well over 18mph. You really are dragged along and it will amaze you. If you are targeting 5, you will probably be below 4.15.... I am hoping to be nearer 4 than 4.30 this year :D
  • 3stripe wrote:
    Hmm there are no bike spaces on the trains up from London on the Saturday... anyone got any suggestions for delivery/getting bikes up there?!
    What about having your LBS ship your bike to a Glasgow/Edinburgh/Perth LBS (assuming you'll be coming by train to one of those points) and picking it up there? Same in reverse after the event.

I know of people who've done that for LEJOG - sent bikes down to Penzance.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Pigtail wrote:

James

My target lat year was 5.5 to 6 hrs, was scared of being caught by the sweep bus. As it turned out did it in just over 4.5, average well over 18mph. You really are dragged along and it will amaze you. If you are targeting 5, you will probably be below 4.15.... I am hoping to be nearer 4 than 4.30 this year :D

I was in a similar position last year, first event only been riding for 8 months hoping for under 5 hrs. Did it in 4hrs 20mins. You sre never on your own with 3500 other participants that always drag you along a bit faster than you would otherwise and you very quickly get in to the habit of being vocal as you pass people.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 142
    thecrofter wrote:
    Pigtail wrote:

James

I was in a similar position last year, first event only been riding for 8 months hoping for under 5 hrs. Did it in 4hrs 20mins. You sre never on your own with 3500 other participants that always drag you along a bit faster than you would otherwise and you very quickly get in to the habit of being vocal as you pass people.

+1 on that. All of my training rides prior to the event last year pointed to a 5hr30+ time, but the combination of fast groups dragging you along and super smooth roads got me in at 4h15. Really great event that is nothing to be worried about if you've done anything like the Fred Whitton.

Bring back plenty of whisky from the little shop just down from the event HQ too!
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Mind you, I think the weather / wind was kinder last year than previous years - there didn't seem to be much of a headwind heading west along the lochs, but there was a tailwind later on in the day.

I was definitely much less fit than than the two years I'd done it previously, and managed 4:30 against a time of 4:20 (not including puncture repair time, etc...) the year before.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm entered for this year and am getting kinda nervous about it now there's only 2 months to go. Have to get my average speed up by at least 1mph or I'm taking the bus home :?
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    suzyb wrote:
    I'm entered for this year and am getting kinda nervous about it now there's only 2 months to go. Have to get my average speed up by at least 1mph or I'm taking the bus home :?

You'll easily make up 1mph on the day, see above.

on solo training runs I average 15-16mph for the Etape I averaged 19 :o

The run round Loch Rannoch is perfectly undulating. You get nice little 25 yard downs and ups that allow you to really zip along, especially on the south side. And you get to look across the Loch to the place I was born :D:D:D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Wallace1492
    Hey Bompington, are you in the same accomodation as last year, and is there any space? :) Would be happy to met up with you guys again. Good news is that you would get no rasping coming from me in middle of the night, as I now have a camper van and would be sleeping out in it.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Do you need to check in the day before like last year?

Anyone know anywhere that might still have space for the one or two nights?