Etape Caladonia

Comments

• eggyh73
    eggyh73 Posts: 8
    I'm really looking foward to it, should be a great experience. Nervous too, but I'll be fine once I get going.

Plus I'll get to have a nosey at lot's of bikes I can't afford!
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    i started getting quite excited about it tonight when i was driving home from Stirling and there were lots of cars with bikes on top heading North in the direction of Pitlochry.

Can't wait now.
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    Met Office is now showing the forecast as being dry tomorrow morning.
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    Had man-flu and a funny stomach for the last week. That should save me about 5 lbs in weight.

I'll be the one hunkered down in the bushes as you go past!!

Good luck all!!
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Pitlochry is buzzing, and the weather is fine with the forecast for Sunday looking good indeed!!
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Good luck to you all tomorrow.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    davelakers wrote:
    Good luck to you all tomorrow.

Who's idea was it to host a carpet layers convention in Pitlochry on the same day? :wink: Have a great day, very jealous.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    pins and tacks on the road again according to bbc news. Found before the race this time thankfully.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Brilliant day and fantastic route.

Really enjoyed the day!

Lots of group riding today and great crack going round.

Hope everyone enjoyed........I did!!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Great day out and thankfully the tacks were found before the start. Just missed out on sub 4 hours so a bit slower than last year but really pleased with that due to the lack of training over the winter (and the extra 2 stone i'm carrying :( )

First 40 miles was a bit disorganised, promising groups formed but people kept losing the wheel in front and letting gaps grow. After Schiehallion it seemed to get a bit more organised and as a result the last 30 odd miles flew by. Might be an expensive entry fee (plus most will need accomodation on top) but will be signing up again for next year - really is one of the best days cycling you can get in the UK.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Loved it, bloody loved it. Hard going for me but I did it in 6:18!! Which I chuffed to bits with. Found the first 40 into the wind a slog, managed up Schiehallion ok, another 5 mile slog then into the big ring almost all the way to Logierait. Didn't mind the nippy sweetie hill at Logierait too bad, the other two or three after it were worse I thought!!
    Anyway, great day, great people, great support great event. (I don't want to dwell on the tacks etc I don't do negative spoilsport type people)
    Just one more thing, hope the crash victims are all ok, thinking of you now!!!
    All the best Steve!!!
  • Omar Little
    Whereabouts was the crash? I read something on twitter about an air ambulance being called, hope it isn't as bad as that sounds
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Thoroughly enjoyed the run today. Was 29th on the KOM and 32nd overall. Finished in 3 hours 33mins about 5mins behind the best time.
    Was with the lead group until the Schehallion then it all split but regrouped at the bottom and worked with about 10-12 others all the way back with most of the group working in a chaingang. Put a few digs in on the final climbs to try and breakaway from the group but got caught on the descents and had to sit in with the pack into the finish. Great fun and felt strong all the way round
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Great ride.... bit of a headwing heading west that slowed things, but was not really looking for a time. Still, loved the return and flew along last 30 miles, finished on 4.40 and pretty happy with that.

Heard talk of tacks but never saw any problems, the people out supporting were magnificent, and tried to give most a wave. Well done to the locals supporting it - you did a great job.

Also thanks to Bomptington for the accomodation and the other guys for the banter.

Next year? Hell, why not!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Omar Little
    Thoroughly enjoyed the run today. Was 29th on the KOM and 32nd overall. Finished in 3 hours 33mins about 5mins behind the best time.
    Was with the lead group until the Schehallion then it all split but regrouped at the bottom and worked with about 10-12 others all the way back with most of the group working in a chaingang. Put a few digs in on the final climbs to try and breakaway from the group but got caught on the descents and had to sit in with the pack into the finish. Great fun and felt strong all the way round

Thats a great performance! Whereabouts did you get the placings from?

btw was it Evan Oliphant who 'won'? (i know its not a race) or were the Endura guys not on the official placing list?
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I saw the presentaion and Even Oliphant was "1st".
  • glasgowbhoy

Thats a great performance! Whereabouts did you get the placings from?

btw was it Evan Oliphant who 'won'? (i know its not a race) or were the Endura guys not on the official placing list?

Think Oliphant rides with the Endura guys.

Results here

http://www.challengerworld.com/results/ ... donia.aspx
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    edited May 2011

How do you know this?

A requirement of the British Cycling insurance cover is that no ordered list of times is published.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Guess it was just me that had a crap day then. :(

Abandoned before I'd even made 30 miles. I was absolutley freezing thanks to my underestimation of the weather when the sweep bus caught me about mile 26, Didn't want to keep going only to decide to quit after the bus had passed so gave up then.

And to top my wonderful day on the bike...er sorry, in the sweep bus off, I then forgot where I parked my car and spent an hour looking for it.

All in all one of the suckiest weekeneds of my life. Next time I post comtemplating entering a proper cycling event....remind me of today will you.

btw do I recall correctly someone on here said to look out for a largish guy on a black trek bike starting toward the last waves.
  • Wallace1492
    Results not loading for me.... Ah well, maybe later in week.
    Cracking day though....
  • suzyb
    Qucik Q

Are those with times all the people left with their timing chip i.e. those that haven't been passed by the sweep convoy.
  • Omar Little
    suzyb wrote:

Abandoned before I'd even made 30 miles. I was absolutley freezing thanks to my underestimation of the weather when the sweep bus caught me about mile 26, Didn't want to keep going only to decide to quit after the bus had passed so gave up then.

And to top my wonderful day on the bike...er sorry, in the sweep bus off, I then forgot where I parked my car and spent an hour looking for it.

All in all one of the suckiest weekeneds of my life. Next time I post comtemplating entering a proper cycling event....remind me of today will you.

btw do I recall correctly someone on here said to look out for a largish guy on a black trek bike starting toward the last waves.

Sorry to hear. Most of us will also have had days like that out on the bike, you were just unfortunate that it happened today. If you want to dip your toes back into organised events then I'd recommend the Pedal for Scotland Glasgow to Edinburgh ride - it is about 50 miles and a bit more relaxed atmosphere than the Etape.
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:

Sorry to hear that Suzy... :cry: Was a bit chilly right enough, kept my jacket on all the way round and only wore it for the hanging about at the start. It never warmed up enough to take it off, well except when I was sweating up the climbs. Next year Suzy, next year..... Just need to put in the miles.
  • Sounds like a great day

One question though
    My mate just phoned me and mentioned his time which was pretty heroic for the route
    The official website declares 2000m of climb but looking at Garmin Connect everyone has logged about half of that

My mates time is amazing for 2000m but what Id expect for 1000m

How far did you all climb??

Cheers
  • suzyb
    Sorry to hear. Most of us will also have had days like that out on the bike, you were just unfortunate that it happened today. If you want to dip your toes back into organised events then I'd recommend the Pedal for Scotland Glasgow to Edinburgh ride - it is about 50 miles and a bit more relaxed atmosphere than the Etape.
    Was thinking of signing up for that as I managed it last year. And it's at the end of the summer giving several nice sunny months for training :wink:

But think I'll leave the Etape for the time being.
    Sounds like a great day

One question though
    How far did you all climb??

Cheers
    My Garmin is showing an elevation gain of 505m and I only did a quarter of the course. So 2000m sounds like it could be accurate.
  • glasgowbhoy
    jibberjim wrote:

How do you know this?

A requirement of the British Cycling insurance cover is that no ordered list of times is published.

They weren't timing people for nothing
    :lol:

http://www.challengerworld.com/results/ ... donia.aspx
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    There's about 1000m of climbing according to a search on Garmin Connect of people's trips. From what I hear the organisers are looking to have a race at the front of this sportive so they may have sought insurance outside of BC.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    I logged 3807 ft of climbing so thats about 1200 metres I think?

Only 2 climbs really.....the Shellall something or other.......cant spell it!! and that tiny wee kick right at the end.

Superb fast course.

Brilliant day.

Times are up and so is registration for next year!!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • suzyb
    How steep does a hill need to be before it's classed as a climb lol
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    How steep does a hill need to be before it's classed as a climb lol

not steep.. it is in the eye of the climber.... if it is a climb for you then it is. But there are "official" catogories for what makes the different types as in the Tour De France.

Up for another crack at it Suzy?