Etape Caladonia

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    d4evr wrote:
    Cheers beinbhan, the person who told me said if you have to complete it on open roads you will not get a medal, which I found a bit surprising and harsh if true.
    I thought that was the case as well. If you got passed by the sweep up bus, after which the roads were reopened you were allowed to continue but were no longer really part of the event.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    thecrofter wrote:
    Wave F, 6:55. Feels like I'm over estimating my ability. But it does fit in with last year's finish. Maybe I'm not as bad at this as I think.

I'm H, leaving at 6.59. No idea what I was thinking when I put myself in the sub 4 hr 30 min group :oops:
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    Did a training ride last night that included the Dukes Pass - 54.91 miles in 3hrs 44mins - so, hoping my target of beating 5hrs 30 is achievable.

Must admit I was knackered last night and not sure if there was another 26 miles in the legs!
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • screebs
    d4evr wrote:
    Hi again guys, I have just been told by someone today that if you dont finish the ride in the allotted time that you won't get a medal etc.
    Now I am not that bothered about getting anything at the end to be honest, just getting round and doing it would be enough for me and my sponsors etc, but I found it surprising that this would be the case. As I say I do not know if this is the case or not, can anyone here shed any light on this? Thanks!

That is the case - noticed it in the event information pack that Bompington linked to earlier on this thread.
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    screebs wrote:
    d4evr wrote:
    Hi again guys, I have just been told by someone today that if you dont finish the ride in the allotted time that you won't get a medal etc.
    Now I am not that bothered about getting anything at the end to be honest, just getting round and doing it would be enough for me and my sponsors etc, but I found it surprising that this would be the case. As I say I do not know if this is the case or not, can anyone here shed any light on this? Thanks!

That is the case - noticed it in the event information pack that Bompington linked to earlier on this thread.

I can only see that you will be asked to hand the minibus your timing chip, which would mean your time wont be recorded obviously, but surely if you complete the course 10,15, 20 minutes or so outside of this you would still get a medal of completion?!!
    If not its a tad harsh if you ask me, again it won't really bother me but I am sure some will be severely cheesed off by this, if it is the case.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    A bit harsh maybe - but in reality I'm really not sure that many people get "swept" except for those who are abandoning anyway due to injury, bike failure etc. On the day, you'll make it.

Anyway, I'm just off for my last big training ride before the event. Except, errr, it's pretty much my first big training ride too :oops:
    Quite similar distance/ascent to the real thing - up Glenshee and back from home. Might be posting in the 50mph thread later...
  • neil3072
    neil3072 Posts: 24
    d4evr, if you are caught by the sweep bus, you only hand in your number, not you timing chip.
    This will be taken off you when you finish so you still get a finishing time
    If the bus passes you, should you wish to continue, you will be riding on open roads iwth no support.

you will still get your medal at the end
    winter sprinte
    brian robinson chalenge
    licoln grand prix
    le terrier
    gybr
    bill bradley memorail
    cross pennine 100
    york 100

Focus Variado 2010 Expert Triple
    Pinnacle Sentinel 1.0
  • d4evr
    I'm sure I will, really looking forward to it now, I have a few commutes to work Sun, Mon, Tues (16miles) then I'm out for a 50/60miler on Thursday and will fit a couple of easy rides in during event week and that will be me raring to go!! As I said earlier on in this thread it's all become a bit of a squeeze and a bit late in the day but I will give it my all, and with the hype, drafting, and getting carried along in more ways than one I'm sure I will be fine!!
  • d4evr
    neil3072 wrote:
    d4evr, if you are caught by the sweep bus, you only hand in your number, not you timing chip.
    If the bus passes you, should you wish to continue, you will be riding on open roads iwth no support.

Cheers Neil, that was my impression also, anyway I will not get caught, that is my new mantra!!!!! :lol:
  • screebs
    d4evr wrote:
    neil3072 wrote:

Cheers Neil, that was my impression also, anyway I will not get caught, that is my new mantra!!!!! :lol:

I just wish I had put an earlier start time down to lessen the chances of the dreaded sweeper bus catching me.

Did a 55mile ride on Thursday in 3hrs 44 mins, average 14.7mph - so hoping I'll be ok come the EC. This route included the Dukes Pass climb - so at least it wasn't a flat route.

Like you, I'm hoping on the day that I'll be a bit faster due to adrenaline, drafting, no traffic, etc. I have nightmares about that sweeper bus!
  • d4evr
    screebs wrote:
    d4evr wrote:
    neil3072 wrote:

I just wish I had put an earlier start time down to lessen the chances of the dreaded sweeper bus catching me.

Did a 55mile ride on Thursday in 3hrs 44 mins, average 14.7mph - so hoping I'll be ok come the EC. This route included the Dukes Pass climb - so at least it wasn't a flat route.

Like you, I'm hoping on the day that I'll be a bit faster due to adrenaline, drafting, no traffic, etc. I have nightmares about that sweeper bus!

screebs, I am past worrying about it, I will just give it my best shot, and by hook or by crook I will get round, no point in worrying about it now, and whats the worst that can happen? May see you on the day my friend!! :? :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    d4evr wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    d4evr wrote:
    neil3072 wrote:

screebs, I am past worrying about it, I will just give it my best shot, and by hook or by crook I will get round, no point in worrying about it now, and whats the worst that can happen? May see you on the day my friend!! :? :lol:
    As am I past worrying. If I get round I get round, if I end up on the bus I end up on the bus.

I'm just hoping for a dry windless day so I can enjoy the ride.
  • thegreatdivide
    Just did a 66 miler with a bunch of folk (including two Royal Marines and a 65 year old who does the Etape de Tour every year) as part of an Etape Caledonia acclimatisation run. They took us up the most brutal climb I've ever done then told us none of the climbs were as sever as the one we'd just completed. This has filled me with confidence.

Going up to do the Etape route either this Monday or the next.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    screebs wrote:
    d4evr wrote:
    neil3072 wrote:

Based on that I reckon you could slip in under 5hrs, so long as the weathers OK
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • bompington
    If anyone has any experience to the contrary then please post it, but AFAIK the broom wagon is used almost entirely by people retiring due to injury, illness or serious mechanical failure.

Put your mind at rest and repeat after me...

"I WILL NOT GET CAUGHT BY THE BROOM WAGON!"
  • thecrofter
    screebs wrote:
    !

Never done the Dukes's Pass, but when you get to the top of the climb over Schiehallion you will say to yourself "Was that IT!" There is only about four of five hundred yards that I would call a climb......there's even decent stretches that are downhill.
    sdoc4538.jpg
    [/img]
  • screebs
    thecrofter wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    !

Never done the Dukes's Pass, but when you get to the top of the climb over Schiehallion you will say to yourself "Was that IT!" There is only about four of five hundred yards that I would call a climb......there's even decent stretches that are downhill.
    sdoc4538.jpg
    [/img]

Cheers m8 - having taken up cycling 2 years ago purely to cycle up Mont Ventoux some 5 months later, i'm not going to get too stressed about the Schiehallion! :lol:

I will stress about the 81 miles right enough (and the damn Broom Bus!) - albeit Bompington is doing his best to get my attitude as postive as can be on the Broom Bus front! :D
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    Rode the Etape course on Sunday in 5.5 hours dead, with what felt like a 200mph headwind from the turn at the bottom of Loch Rannoch. Hopefully with a bit les wind :oops: and a bit of drafting in the peloton I should be able to get a bit closer to 5hrs.

The Schiehallion climb is (mostly) not too bad - there's a couple of really steep sections over the first mile or so, but relatively sane after that.

Didn't appreciate the wee grind at the Logierait turn, nor the one or two little surprises on the last 5 miles, but otherwise legs survived.

Bring it on! :twisted:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • thegreatdivide
    Spoke too soon. Out on training ride yest eve. Old biddy came round bend in country lane on our side of road. Mate in front just squeeezed through gap between her car and the grass verge at side of road. I hd no chance. Hit her car. Posting this from hospital bed. Broken right forearm bolted together with plate and pins and some impressive road rash. My beloved izoard is gubbed. Totally gutted.
  • thecrofter
    Spoke too soon. Out on training ride yest eve. Old biddy came round bend in country lane on our side of road. Mate in front just squeeezed through gap between her car and the grass verge at side of road. I hd no chance. Hit her car. Posting this from hospital bed. Broken right forearm bolted together with plate and pins and some impressive road rash. My beloved izoard is gubbed. Totally gutted.

Bummer, hope your arm gets back to normal soon. Will you get a cancellation for next years Etape and think of the fun shopping for a replacement bike with the insurance :)
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    screebs wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    !

sdoc4538.jpg
    [/img]

Cheers m8 - having taken up cycling 2 years ago purely to cycle up Mont Ventoux some 5 months later, i'm not going to get too stressed about the Schiehallion! :lol:

I will stress about the 81 miles right enough (and the damn Broom Bus!) - albeit Bompington is doing his best to get my attitude as postive as can be on the Broom Bus front! :D

Could I firmly kick this broom wagon myth into touch as last year after I finished, recovered, walked the bike a mile back to the camp site, showered had something to eat, I then went back to cheer the stragglers along and I was surprised to see how few left on the route.

Even the broom wagon was early as this was travelling behind the last rider on the course, which was well ahead of the cut off point!

Can I assure you that if you can climb Mont Ventoux, you will certainly be well ahead of the broom wagon by miles and I suspect that you even will complete the event in less than five hours!
    8)
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Not doing the event but just to 'thegreatdivide' sat in his hospital bed. Gutted for you bud, no-one needs bad luck like that. Get well and back on your bike soon :)
  • screebs

Sorry to hear of your accident m8 - gutted for you. Could happen to any of us - you just got unlucky. :(

Hopefully, they'll let you rollover your entry until next year.
  • Uggi
    Uggi Posts: 24
    cuurently booked on the train, but bike spaces all full up. Travelling from London on the 12:00 train and bike spaces full. Helpppppppppppppp.

Oh and if you see a really big guy on a van nicholas euros struglling to beat the broom wagon, wish me luck as thats me.
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    may be able to help you Uggi big fella, where in London you travelling from?
    fay ce que voudres
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    Caladonia

Caledonia !!!
  • bompington
    @thegreatdivide - hope you're on your way to mending now. If it's anything like my experience, the pain & bike damage aren't as bad as the sheer frustration.
    Don't forget to write (or dictate :evil: ) what happened in as much detail as you can, as soon as possibe, and get your mate to do the same. My advice is to get a lawyer straight away, don't waste time like I did trying to be reasonable with an insurance company.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Can anyone tell me from their GPS what the gradients are on the steep section of the Schiehallion climb and the Logierait turn in order that I can select the right cassette?
  • thecrofter
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    Caladonia

Caledonia !!!

Yeah, I'd noticed that too, I was trying not to let it bug me.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Its a brilliant day out, a fantastic atmosphere and a beautiful area. BUT the route is easy.

The only semi difficult parts are the 1st part of Schehallion (about 16%) and the left turn of the main road at the end (about 20% but very short)

Apart from that it is just rolling roads with amazing views.

I have done it for the last 2 years but we were too late this year and missed out.

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I have done.