Etape Caladonia

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    jibberjim wrote:
    dulldave wrote:
    So do you know how they went about insuring it or have you just jumped to a conclusion?

We know it was run under BC insurance - the BC pages provide that information, there may indeed be other insurance, but that seems unlikely - why insure it twice?

The organisers completely violated they rules of British Cycling. Hardly something to commend and likely to harm any other insurance. It certainly harms the chances of other sportives getting good deals in the future.

Reckless, foolish and disgusting.

Can't help feeling this should be on it's own thread, this is a happy, smiley, feely thread. Doom and gloom elsewhere please. :)
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Thanks for the encouragement guys :)

I do intend to go back and do the event some day. But I'm going to build up the fitness first. And learn to pay attention to the weather forecast :wink:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    suzyb wrote:
    Thanks for the encouragement guys :)

I do intend to go back and do the event some day. But I'm going to build up the fitness first. And learn to pay attention to the weather forecast :wink:

Once you feel that you have your fitness, try doing the route for "fun" one weekend that suits, at a pace that suits, preferably with friends.
    Pick a weekend outside main holidays and the roads will be fairly quiet and in my experience, cyclist friendly. You will then know what to expect and that there is nothing to fear. My trial run was October 2009 and very pleasant!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    My fourth time in this event and I think I enjoyed this one even more than the previous years.

It isn't a mountainous event, it's a fast, closed road festival of cycling with a terrific atmosphere that makes you glad to be alive. I've done other UK and continental sportives and the EC is unique.

I got in some great groups after starting a couple of pens behind pen J where I was supposed to be. I'd think that unless the organisers dream up better regimentation or an alterntive start point that they've strained the town infrastructure to its maximum participant number. So get your entry in early for 2012!

The headwind in the fortingall loop when we turned back on ourselves was my only suffering point and I was on my own for a bit then. Apart from that saw some great average speeds sustained on the return half and had some great time on the bike - after all isn't that why we do it! Came in a whisker uner 4 and half hours and was well pleased (exactly 10 seconds more than 2008 - isn't consistency the sign of a great athlete :wink: )

The local support is a fantastic and more accurate indicator of what the event contributes to Pitlochry than the acts of a couple of spiteful nutters. I've used the same hotel three times (first time in 2007 when I was the only cyclist and they were a bit bemused by the road closures an the whole rigmarole) and this year they're up giving 15 cyclists a great porridge breakfast at half 5, opening for showers afterwards and generally being great hosts.

SuzyB and anyone else who isn't feeling 10 years younger today. Don't give up. I've been in a broom wagon - first French sportive, full of sulky Frenchman, not good! - it's no disgrace. Get the bike time in, study a few good training rules, eat on the ride and get in a group. Give it another go.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • s25scd
    s25scd Posts: 84
    Great days ride yesterday apart from I think I misjudged how cold it would be in the morning!! Was my first attempt at the Etape C and thought it was great event.Opted for a 4hr 30 min and started in wave H but managed a 3hr 46 and and 7min for KOM. Thanks to the little guy who had the quick step jersey think number was 992 for doing most of the work in our wee group, our little peleton worked well :D until we got to the climb then it turned to carnage dodging and weaving then we all formed again to a huge bunch about 20 miles from finish , tried to hold on to the pack but after the sharp left up the hill near the end some riders infront slowed and I never had it in the legs to make the distance back to the pack. Overall a great day and event.
  • Jonny7c
    Jonny7c Posts: 35
    Fanatastic event with great organisation. I was meant to set off in group U but struggled to get through the crowd and ended up with the Ws which didn't matter at all due to the timing chips that worked well.

Loved the idea of the KOM time which meant there was an extra challenge within a challenge. Came in at 4hr 11mins which I was pleased with considering the lack of fast groups to work with at that end of the field but thanks to the guy from Preston with the red top and long socks and 2nd guy head to toe in Assos gear for the 20 miles or so we did together (I was the chunky guy in Columbia shorts with bright red arm and leg warmers)in the headwind before the turn.

The crowds at the roadside were really enthusiastic and helped keep up morale on the couple of strecthes where I was on my own so thanks to them too.

Thanks also to the guys on this forum who gave us the heads up on the climb after the left turn near the end. Being prepared meant I didn't grind to a halt with the masses that were trying to grind up in the wrong gear and finished really strong.

Coming into the finish with those crowds was awesome and probably the closest I'll ever come to the feeling the pros get when they win.

Great day all round. Must sign up for next year!
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    s25scd wrote:
    Great days ride yesterday apart from I think I misjudged how cold it would be in the morning!! Was my first attempt at the Etape C and thought it was great event.Opted for a 4hr 30 min and started in wave H but managed a 3hr 46 and and 7min for KOM. Thanks to the little guy who had the quick step jersey think number was 992 for doing most of the work in our wee group, our little peloton worked well :D until we got to the climb then it turned to carnage dodging and weaving then we all formed again to a huge bunch about 20 miles from finish , tried to hold on to the pack but after the sharp left up the hill near the end some riders infront slowed and I never had it in the legs to make the distance back to the pack. Overall a great day and event.

That sounds like the group I was in. Was it a Belgian champs jersey he had on? If it was he didn't share your sentiments about the group working well. Much of the chat I had with him was about how many of the group seemed to be happy to take a tow. The group was ridiculously big at one point with only a small handful of guys doing any work.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    Just got home to Sussex after a round trip of over 1200 miles but as with last year it is worth the effort!
    Great atmosphere over the whole wkend( we got there on Friday) and the whole area now seems to have really taken the event to heart(apart from a few brainless idiots!).
    My time of 4hr 40min was 10 mins quicker than last year which I was a little disappointed with as I had hoped to get in under 4.30. In hindsight riding from Pitlochry to and up the Cairnwell climb to Glenshee ski station (page 115 in Simon Warren's 100 greatest UK cycling climbs) in showers of hail on the Saturday was not the stretch of legs we had envisaged and my legs felt tired from the start!
    However if you do go next year and have the time this ride is spectacular, especially the first section out of Pitlochry to Kirkmichael on the A924, just don't do it the day before!
    Definitely colder and windier this year, that section after turning right at the pub into the wind was a killer!
    My only gripe was the so-called goody bag being full of leaflets and absolutely no goodies, much better last year.
    Despite that this is a great event that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys their road cycling, defo up for next year and so is the wife after having to watch it for last two years!
  • 3stripe
    3stripe Posts: 40
    My first sportive, had a brilliant time and got round in 4h20m... and can't quite believe I was placed 203rd in the KOM :):) (think my hill training around certain hills of north london paid off)

My group of mates had pessimistically placed ourselves in wave U... and ended up leaving with the Ws... thus a lot of time was spent overtaking but maybe that's better for morale. Had the Schiehallion descent to myself so no brakes required and was lucky to be ahead of the crash (hope everyone's ok).

Finally found someone going at my speed to pair up with for the last 20k, and most importantly BEAT MY MATES :D
    CycleLove — celebrating bike culture
    www.cyclelove.net
  • 3stripe
    3stripe Posts: 40
    My first sportive, had a brilliant time and got round in 4h20m... and can't quite believe I was placed 203rd in the KOM :):) (think my hill training around certain hills of north london paid off)

My group of mates had pessimistically placed ourselves in wave U... and ended up leaving with the Ws... thus a lot of time was spent overtaking but maybe that's better for morale. Had the Schiehallion descent to myself so no brakes required and was lucky to be ahead of the crash (hope everyone's ok).

Finally found someone going at my speed to pair up with for the last 20k, and most importantly BEAT MY MATES :D
    CycleLove — celebrating bike culture
    www.cyclelove.net
  • s25scd
    s25scd Posts: 84
    dulldave wrote:
    s25scd wrote:
    Great days ride yesterday apart from I think I misjudged how cold it would be in the morning!! Was my first attempt at the Etape C and thought it was great event.Opted for a 4hr 30 min and started in wave H but managed a 3hr 46 and and 7min for KOM. Thanks to the little guy who had the quick step jersey think number was 992 for doing most of the work in our wee group, our little peloton worked well :D until we got to the climb then it turned to carnage dodging and weaving then we all formed again to a huge bunch about 20 miles from finish , tried to hold on to the pack but after the sharp left up the hill near the end some riders infront slowed and I never had it in the legs to make the distance back to the pack. Overall a great day and event.

That sounds like the group I was in. Was it a Belgian champs jersey he had on? If it was he didn't share your sentiments about the group working well. Much of the chat I had with him was about how many of the group seemed to be happy to take a tow. The group was ridiculously big at one point with only a small handful of guys doing any work.

Yeah thats right dulldave. We both formed up at queens view then it grew. I have to admit though I may have been one of the wheel suckers! had the odd spell pulling but Ive not got much experience riding in a pack and yesterday at some points I was rubbiing shoulders with folk next to me at 25mph lol and they seemed happy to set the pace but overall a good learning experience of riding in a pack at good speeds.
  • dulldave
    s25scd wrote:
    dulldave wrote:
    s25scd wrote:

Yeah thats right dulldave. We both formed up at queens view then it grew. I have to admit though I may have been one of the wheel suckers! had the odd spell pulling but Ive not got much experience riding in a pack and yesterday at some points I was rubbiing shoulders with folk next to me at 25mph lol and they seemed happy to set the pace but overall a good learning experience of riding in a pack at good speeds.

Yeah we were going pretty rapid at some points. There's nothing wrong with only doing what you feel you can. Everyone benefited from the work you do so even just a few turns help.

But when more riders are sitting in than working, it just encourages others to stop working and the work ethic goes out the window.

I cringe when I hear people talking about sitting in on a group and then ride away when it gets too slow. It seems to be acceptable practice for getting a good time in a sportive. In fact I'm pretty sure I've read a magazine article advising readers to do it. I'd just see a little asterisk beside my time if that were me.

I guess I should just shut up and deal with it or do 100 mile time trials instead :D
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The funny thing is that I always set out with the intention of getting a tow off anyone and everyone, but when it comes to it I find myself out in front way more often than I'd like.
    Typically I find myself, quite unintentionally, at the front of a big group, pull over after a bit because I'm knackered, then get fed up sitting in the middle having to brake all the time to avoid wiping everyone out - so I wind up heading up to the front again, and so on until they all drop me like a sh1t sandwich at the first hint of a hill.
    On the Fortingall stretch into the wind I was riding, so I thought, with one other guy, and we traded the lead for a few minutes - then he made a comment about "it was someone else's turn", I looked round and there were about 60 riders in a long line behind us.

But really, with the vast number of riders (like myself) who don't do racing or club riding at all, there are an awful lot of folk who not just don't take their turn in front, but don't even know how you go about it, or how much of a turn you should take. I'm not sure quite what you're suggesting, dulldave - if you find yourself in a group that's too slow are you supposed to just sit there?
    I can't really see that it's anything to get upset about, in the end it's a mass participation ride not a race, as some people like to keep reminding us :wink:
  • Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    edited May 2011
    After the right hander off the Schiehallion descent I found myself leading a group of 6 or 7. Only myself and my mate took a turn for nearly all of the Fortingal loop. I even dropped to back telling people to take a turn, and they just looked down, or rubbed their legs indicating cramp.

All we ask is you take 30, 20 or even 10 seconds at the front, then drop back, at least it shows you are willing to work as a team. One of the other guys started taking short turns after we turned out of the head wind, so all credit to him for helping out.

Finally a big train came through which we joined, and had a great run at about 24-26 mph back to the Logierate Hill. The train broke up a few times, with only about 6 staying ahead, again myself and about 3 others ended up in a group on our own just behind the 6 for the 4 miles to Logierate, but we worked well together till the tight left hander.

Unfortunately I started cramping early on due to being ill earlier in the week, so missed out on sub 4 hrs by a few minutes. Good day though.
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    If you've taken a tow it's only fair to do a bit of work on the front - you might find the group wasn't so slow after all ;)

Sometimes the riders on the front don't help though - if they sit there churning away without peeling off how is the group supposed to come through?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    The times i left one group to join another one it wasn't like i was dropping mid bunch then going on the attack up the outside - i'd be riding at the front and maintaining an even pace but people would keep losing my wheel.. If a group is riding slower than i can sustain solo (which is not that fast) then i dont think it is poor show not wanting to stick with them and trying to get in a faster group.

Actually who am i kidding, it may have been hard work, i may not have maximised my riding efficiency and sacrificied a few minutes time overall, but those sections on my own in the first 40 miles bridging gaps between different groups were some of the highights of the day...i felt like a fat, slow version of Cancellera :P
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    With starting in Wave Z, i would like to know what these "groups" are that you talk about? :lol:

It's every man (and woman) for themselves back there! I was very happy with my 5 hours and 3 minutes given that i could probably count on the one hand the number of miles done in a group (and still have 4 fingers left!) :wink:

Next year i'm really going to go for it, try and get an earlier wave and get some group riding done. Hell, i may even take a turn on the front!
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • dulldave
    bompington wrote:
    I'm not sure quite what you're suggesting, dulldave - if you find yourself in a group that's too slow are you supposed to just sit there?
    I can't really see that it's anything to get upset about, in the end it's a mass participation ride not a race, as some people like to keep reminding us :wink:

Fair point :D

If the group is going too slow when you join it then you've got the energy to do a bit of work at the front. If you then jump onto another group or just ride away then you were clearly too strong for the group. It sounds like what you've been doing.

Getting dropped is just what happens to improving cyclists. If you're continuously stretching yourself to the point of getting dropped then you're going to improve. People who find a comfortable group and sit in will only really get better by losing weight.
  • suzyb
    screebs wrote:
    With starting in Wave Z, i would like to know what these "groups" are that you talk about? :lol:

It's every man (and woman) for themselves back there! I was very happy with my 5 hours and 3 minutes given that i could probably count on the one hand the number of miles done in a group (and still have 4 fingers left!) :wink:

Next year i'm really going to go for it, try and get an earlier wave and get some group riding done. Hell, i may even take a turn on the front!
    You probably went zooming past me at some point then. I started in wave Y because I was late and missed where I was supposed to start.

Well done on the good time though.
  • screebs
    suzyb wrote:
    screebs wrote:

You probably went zooming past me at some point then. I started in wave Y because I was late and missed where I was supposed to start.

Well done on the good time though.

Thanks SuzyB - it was still a slog though!

I was sorry to hear that you abandoned - it was pretty cold with that wind in your face first 35 miles, so it was understandable when you thought you were really pushing yourself to do it anyway.

I'm sure you'll come back stronger and fitter for the experience - i was due to compete in the EC last year and decided a few weeks before i wasn't ready for it - it was the right decision. So for this year i started out on the bike about October and kept it going through the winter - no doing massive distances but doing 20/30 milers with tough climbs and doing them often. There is no substitute for putting the miles in.

If you want to get over your EC disappointment fairly quickly, i would recommend the Lepra Edinburgh to St Andrews charity ride on 18 June 2011. It is a relaxed and fun event for people of all sorts of abilities. it is 67 miles but apart from 2 hills it is fairly flat.

Doing that, in a relaxed way will help with future EC attempts as you know you'll be able to do that distance and the Ec is only 14 miles more! it was the longest ride i had ever done prior to the Ec and it is good to know you've done that type of distance before, even if it is an entirely different route.

Keep your chin up! :)
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • bompington
    Photos are coming up on sportcam - as usual some fat middle aged bloke has pinched my number, but this year he's really taking the mick and seems to have spent the entire race eating bananas
    ETC11_BRP_009990.jpg
    ETC11_BRP_000993.jpg
    ETC11_BRP_009991.jpg

No wonder I'm towing such a bunch :lol:
  • screebs
    Bompington - thanks for the heads up on the Photos.

I had to laugh as there is one of my raising my arms as i crossed the finish line - i was obviously happy with myself! Would have been a great youtube clip if i'd fallen over right enough! :P

I also have a couple of banana eating shots - proof that i do eat fruit sometimes! :D
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    Nice images bompington.... like my brother in law you seem to have been "caught on camera" pretty often (latest count for him is 11 photos :shock: ). I managed a measly one, but I haven't trawled through the unidentified ones yet as our internet connection at work is acting up again.

On the bananas theme, I saw a guy's Spesh parked outside the Moulin Inn after the event with an emergency banana taped to the top tube with masking tape - brilliant, same shape as the tube, wish I'd taken a picture.

BTW how did you get the link to your pics? When I try and link using what I think is the image address (http://www.sportcam.net/Batch-ANR-45/ET ... 000603.jpg) I just get a blank..... :cry:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • bompington
    BTW how did you get the link to your pics? When I try and link using what I think is the image address (http://www.sportcam.net/Batch-ANR-45/ET ... 000603.jpg) I just get a blank..... :cry:
    So did I first time. I've got IE9 and F12 gets you the developer tools, there's a menu pops up and one of the things you can do is get an image report for the page, which gives URLs that actually work - they come out like this:

http://www.sportcam.net/TagImages/ETC/E ... 009990.jpg

which is a bit different, so you could try and rejig yours to the same pattern.
  • suzyb
    edited May 2011
    It seems abandoning has it's advantages. No photos of me looking knackered and miserable :D
  • bompington
    and I seem to remember last year that more pics kept appearing for a few days, so don't give up yet!
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    bompington wrote:
    So did I first time. I've got IE9 and F12 gets you the developer tools, there's a menu pops up and one of the things you can do is get an image report for the page, which gives URLs that actually work - they come out like this:

http://www.sportcam.net/TagImages/ETC/E ... 009990.jpg

which is a bit different, so you could try and rejig yours to the same pattern.

Ha! Fixed - thanks bompington

Talking of looking knackered and miserable....... :oops:

ETC11_ANR_000603.jpg
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Hi again guys, well its two days have almost passed and I still can't get the smile off my face!!
    I am so so glad I decided (with help) to go for it!!
    Many many thanks to those on here who told me just to give it a go (Bompington, TheCrofter, Daviesee and others) I owe you lads a pint or two!!!
    I am now a very proud Etaper, and the proud owner of a finishers medal, more importantly I raised a few bob for charity. I only really "trained" in earnest 7/8 weeks ago and was woefully short off both fitness and training, but I did it!!!! In a time of 06:18, which I was chuffed to the knickers with!

I reckon I could have maybe even knocked 10 minutes off if I didn't have to stop for so many "comfort breaks", I must have been drinking too much on the way round?!
    I started in wave Y and stuck to my game plan of taking it easy to start with, keeping above 13mph average when I could, I was on my own pretty much until around 25 miles in when I passed a girl having trouble with a flat, made sure she was ok to go, and we stuck together to the finish. It made for great company and moral for both of us and I am very grateful to her, so thanks Avril (3299).

I would have liked to have had a go in a slower bunch, but that far back there was none to be had, apart from maybe some "good" late starters that I could not keep up with.

So just to say thanks again folks, I now well and truelly have the bug and I have registered for next year, my training starts tomorrow and WILL NOT falter!! I will go back next year, stronger, fitter, lighter and a bit more experienced and I will get under 6 hours, maybe even under 5hrs 30mins, who knows, who cares, I just loved it!!!!!!
  • suzyb
    What were you riding d4evr, might have spotted you. I was the fat chick in orange on the tiny Giant bike with blue bar tape.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    WAMAS - the group along to Logierait sounds like the one I was in (your time is very similar to mine too so could easily be). If it is I was in the group of 6 where the one guy at the front did all the work, no way I could have got out front at the speed he was going and he showed no interest in anyone coming through. I did thank him on the climb when I pulled alongside him for a moment. Wasn't in your group when you tried to get others to do the work though, couldn't see where the group started there was that many of us then.

If people are absolutely burst I don't mind them tucking in, they may well have led a group for the first half for all we know but it is bad form not to apologise or thank the people doing the work. I couldn't have led a group at that point but did move to the front after the Logierait hill when my legs could smell the finish!!

What really annoys me is the people who sit in the group then sprint from the middle out the front not letting anyone grab their wheel. When that happens I take a huge amount of pleasure if I can drag the whole group onto their wheel - it happened a few times on Sunday (and the last Sportive I did) and although I know it puts me over my limit I try it every time I see it happen.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike