Etape Caladonia

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    yeah you still need to check in the day before.

not sure about availability now, i booked a few weeks ago and there wasnt really anything left in the immediate area (for a reasonable price) so having to stay down in Perth...all of the travelodges still had rooms
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I've booked into a campsite. They would only take weekend bookings though - wouldn't do a single night.

James
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Hey Bompington, are you in the same accomodation as last year, and is there any space? :) Would be happy to met up with you guys again. Good news is that you would get no rasping coming from me in middle of the night, as I now have a camper van and would be sleeping out in it.
    Yes indeed - all welcome as before!
    With the caveat that in an emergency, the school reserves the right to punt out staff using the cottage privately at pretty much zero notice, so you do need to have a backup plan (mine is just to drive up from Dundee, annoying but doable). This does not happen often (I'd give it about a 1 in 50 chance) but it has happened to me this year.
    There are 8 beds but we might be able to squeeze in more if necessary.

For those not in the know this is my school's cottage in Pitlochry, an easy downhill mile or so to the start. Forumites welcome, cost is £5, PM me if you're interested.
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Wish I'd known that, Mr Bomp! Will be driving over from St Andrews myself.
  • bompington
    themightyw wrote:
    Wish I'd known that, Mr Bomp! Will be driving over from St Andrews myself.
    You're still welcome if you want.
    To me it's not the drive in the morning, annoying though that is - it's that you have to be there to sign in on the saturday too.
  • themightyw
    Don't suppose you have space for 3 of us... I expect not!
  • themightyw
    Confirmed tha three of us will come, if that's ok!
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    Hi

Was speaking to the owner of this place yesterday:

http://www.blairathollaccommodation.co.uk/

about 5 miles from the start line and I was surprised to hear that he had availability that weekend. He is a friend of mine but he's not on the make and he's charging his standard rate for May.

He can be contacted via his website,
    Cheers
    WM
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    suzyb wrote:
    I'm entered for this year and am getting kinda nervous about it now there's only 2 months to go. Have to get my average speed up by at least 1mph or I'm taking the bus home :?

And less than 4 weeks to go now - i'm in a similar boat, but hoping that everyone who says the event sweeps you along faster than training on your own is correct - otherwise, i'll see you on the sweeper bus! :shock:
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    its not a "big" distance (80 miles) and its only 600m of climbing. And its a sportif not a race, its all about a fun day on closed roads and you can do it at a comfortable speed.

Even if you just do a normal easy training speed of 17.5 you'll do it in 4hrs 30mins.

You'll be riding along chatting to everyone, enjoying the views and having a ball. You'll then realise the first 40miles have flown by.

Just make sure you eat plenty and stay with a group your comfortable with.

I'll be riding it, focus izalco with kysriums and i'll probably be wearing a rapha top. Feel free to come up and say hello :)
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Doing it in that time will have you in the top 30% depending on the weather so what about the other 70% who are a fair bit slower.
    Last year was great weather and I did an 'easy' 4:30 but still saw people coming in at 6 and 7hrs - they looked totally cooked but they managed it and a lot of them raised a lot of money - lots of different abilities try this event and have a great day. If you are at the 11-12mph stage just now you should be good for 13-14 on the day.
    Keep fed and hydrated and keep pedalling over the top of any inclines and hills as the course in quite undulating and this will help your time. Have a great day and hope the weather is as good as last year.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • bompington
    trailstar wrote:
    and its only 600m of climbing
    Not sure where you get this figure from? While most agree that the "official" figure of 1949m is exaggerated, I can get a very close figure by plotting the route accurately (and tediously) on Memory Map using OS 50 thou maps, and most other map measurements / GPS readings come in well over 1200m: BikeHike gives it 1276m for example.

17.5mph is not a normal easy training speed for the vast majority of sportifs (note correct use of the spelling, the events are sportives), if it is for you then good on you. It may be the chips on my shoulders twitching here, but your post does read a bit like "it's just an easy day out for us Real Cyclists".
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    sorry, i didnt mean to sound condescending. Didnt mean to come off sounding like that.

17.5 from my experience for road cyclists is a fairly average pace. Group rides typically take place from 16-19mph. Hence i said that is a good pace to aim for to get a good time.

600m was off the top of my head, mapmyride gives it around 650 to 700m.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/471771

I've friends who did it with a Garmin last year and it came in at 870m. However i cant find the link he sent me.

200m is very exaggerated, i'd hope its around the 1000m mark.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    trailstar wrote:
    sorry, i didnt mean to sound condescending. Didnt mean to come off sounding like that.

17.5 from my experience for road cyclists is a fairly average pace. Group rides typically take place from 16-19mph. Hence i said that is a good pace to aim for to get a good time.
    You mean experienced road cyclists. Not everyone doing the event is experienced enough to go at that kind of pace.

At this point, I'll just be happy to get round the 80 miles :?
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Riding this as a team this year and with good weather, light winds, no mechanicals and other fast moving groups to work with hoping to go under 3.45 this year. We'll see how this pans out on the day as there are lots of variables there....
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Was up there on Sat morning for a recce. Did the whole route apart from the bit round the Loch. Conditions were damn near perfect, hopefully on the day we'll get light winds or it'll be a bit of a slog from Tummel up to Bridge of Gaur.

My mate and I did it in 3:53 for the 100K we did with a few more bodies around to help I should beat 4:18 from last year.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Must look into this for next year - too much going on this year with the motorsport and my boy's chemo - colleague is going though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • screebs
    Pigtail wrote:
    This will be my first attempt at anything organised - and I'm also very much looking forward to it.

I only bought my bike in October and I'm not getting in enough miles, but I'm doing quite a bit of time in the gym and have lost a fair bit of weight.

I've set a target of 5 hours, but I've no idea if that's feasible or not.

James

My target lat year was 5.5 to 6 hrs, was scared of being caught by the sweep bus. As it turned out did it in just over 4.5, average well over 18mph. You really are dragged along and it will amaze you. If you are targeting 5, you will probably be below 4.15.... I am hoping to be nearer 4 than 4.30 this year :D

I am targetting 6 hours - as long as i beat the sweeper bus i'll be happy.
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • suzyb
    screebs wrote:
    Pigtail wrote:
    This will be my first attempt at anything organised - and I'm also very much looking forward to it.

I only bought my bike in October and I'm not getting in enough miles, but I'm doing quite a bit of time in the gym and have lost a fair bit of weight.

James

My target lat year was 5.5 to 6 hrs, was scared of being caught by the sweep bus. As it turned out did it in just over 4.5, average well over 18mph. You really are dragged along and it will amaze you. If you are targeting 5, you will probably be below 4.15.... I am hoping to be nearer 4 than 4.30 this year :D

That was my target until training didn't get started when it should have. Now I'll just be glad if I finish the course :?
  • thecrofter
    suzyb wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    Pigtail wrote:

James

That was my target until training didn't get started when it should have. Now I'll just be glad if I finish the course :?
    Don't be disheartened, the route is tailor made for a fast time, the roads are very smooth. I guarantee you'll surprise yourself
  • screebs
    thecrofter wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    Pigtail wrote:

James

Don't be disheartened, the route is tailor made for a fast time, the roads are very smooth. I guarantee you'll surprise yourself

Feeling better about it this afternoon - had a good lunchtime training run from my office up to Sheriffmuir, very steep and managed it, so a wee boost for my etape ambitions (ie finishing).
  • thecrofter
    Must look into this for next year.

IIRC this year was sold out within a few weeks, so don't leave it too long after entries open.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    what is pitlochry like for eating on the sat/sun eve with 5,000+ cyclists and entourage? Also for getting some pre-ride brekkie?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • neil3072
    neil3072 Posts: 24
    Screebs dont woory too much about the sweeper bus. I was with laods of people lat year at the 2nd feed station when the sweeper bus arrived.

Some people gave up and retired, but the choice is yours. if you want to continue to ride you can , all you have to do is hand in your number- you keep the timing chip until the end of the ride

but, once th esweeper buas has passed, you are riding on open roads
    winter sprinte
    brian robinson chalenge
    licoln grand prix
    le terrier
    gybr
    bill bradley memorail
    cross pennine 100
    york 100

Focus Variado 2010 Expert Triple
    Pinnacle Sentinel 1.0
  • suzyb
    A guy I work with lives in the area and said the roads aren't too busy if you do get passed by the bus. Although ironically they'll probably be busier because of the Etape spectators el at.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Hi guys, I too am down for doing this, however my training has got of to a very delayed start due to leg break prior to Xmas and follow on complications!!! I have been out the last 3/4 weeks and last week was out 4 times getting in 3 x 20 milers and a 30 miler each time on an undulating route, I will be upping the distance in the next 2 weeks but I know I am woefully short of where I should be. As a first timer is it still possible to do (ie just getting round) with what I have done and with what little time I have left. Or do I take the hit and register for next year again?!!!! Cheers in advance.
  • bompington
    I know people who have completed it with no training at all and well inside the cutoff time too. Just do all the training you can, and go for it - you will suffer, but you won't regret it.
    I'm in much the same boat, life in general and baby in particular mean that I've hardly got out at all for over a year, I'll probably have about 400 miles in total this year by the time the big day comes. I've even been on the exercise bike in the school gym, horrible bingo wing tamer that it is. I'm just going to go for it.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    bompington wrote:
    I know people who have completed it with no training at all and well inside the cutoff time too. Just do all the training you can, and go for it - you will suffer, but you won't regret it.
    I'm in much the same boat, life in general and baby in particular mean that I've hardly got out at all for over a year, I'll probably have about 400 miles in total this year by the time the big day comes. I've even been on the exercise bike in the school gym, horrible bingo wing tamer that it is. I'm just going to go for it.

Cheers for the reply Bompington, that's made me feel a lot better about things. I really really want to do it, and you have now helped me make up my mind. I will just keep getting the miles in and on the day will give it my all, whats the worst that can happen? Well besides breaking another leg or other limb, being swept up in the wagon. I wont get anywhere near the event distance in training but I reckon a one off effort and the sense of occasion etc will help me along for a few miles? Anyway I have made my mind up I'm going for it!!

I may be back on here for more tips etc regarding hydration, energy bars, nutrition etc etc.

Cheers Mate!!
  • thecrofter
    what is pitlochry like for eating on the sat/sun eve with 5,000+ cyclists and entourage? Also for getting some pre-ride brekkie?
    There's loads of places down on the main street ,pubs, hotels, cafes, chippie, that have special menus on for the event. I didn't notice last year if anywhere was open for breakfast, but I can't imagine any retailer worth their salt missing out on 5000 hungry cyclists all wanting breakfast, there's bound to be somewhere will be open.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    ahh thanks, i did start a new thread as was thinking my original question was lost in the middle of other answers - cheers
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....