Etape Caladonia

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    d4evr wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    I know people who have completed it with no training at all and well inside the cutoff time too. Just do all the training you can, and go for it - you will suffer, but you won't regret it.
    I'm in much the same boat, life in general and baby in particular mean that I've hardly got out at all for over a year, I'll probably have about 400 miles in total this year by the time the big day comes. I've even been on the exercise bike in the school gym, horrible bingo wing tamer that it is. I'm just going to go for it.

Cheers for the reply Bompington, that's made me feel a lot better about things. I really really want to do it, and you have now helped me make up my mind. I will just keep getting the miles in and on the day will give it my all, whats the worst that can happen? Well besides breaking another leg or other limb, being swept up in the wagon. I wont get anywhere near the event distance in training but I reckon a one off effort and the sense of occasion etc will help me along for a few miles? Anyway I have made my mind up I'm going for it!!

I may be back on here for more tips etc regarding hydration, energy bars, nutrition etc etc.

Cheers Mate!!
    So long as you're out on the bike say three times a week, a couple of 15-20 milers in the week and say up to one 50 miler about 10 days before, you'll be fine. the week before take it easy just a couple of 12 mile runs to keep the legs turning. Make sure you eat properly that week, especially. For the day take two water bottles and whatever food you prefer make sure you eat regularly every half hour, little and often is the trick. Oh, and have a good breakfast an hour before you start. So long as the weather is OK you'll be amazed at how well you do, I was last year :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    The cafe at the junction (Victoria's?) opens at 6:00 and serves porridge, cereals, rolls, coffee etc - from memory.
    As I siad at the start of this, Fern Cottage does an excellent specific menu the night before but at @ £27 for 3 courses (from memory) although I thought it was well worth the money. The only downside is that they may be fully booked.
    I targetted 5:30 and hoped for 5:00 last year. I got 4:50 and that was nursing round a (newbie) club mate who hadn't done much training at all and doubted he would finish. You will do much, much better on the day than you think.
    Keep 2 water bottles topped up and nibble on energy bars and you will be fine.

Best of luck with the weather and - enjoy!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Thanks Guys on everything so far. Could you possibly recommend any Gels, Bars, Energy Drinks etc.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Anyone still looking for hotels etc - There is a New travelodge in Perth it`s only 100 yards from the Big Roundabout on the M9 so it`s quick to get to pitlochry in the morning (25mins) and prob easier the night before to go into perth to get decent feed.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    That's the one I'm booked into. Guess I might see one or two other participants there.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    d4evr wrote:
    Thanks Guys on everything so far. Could you possibly recommend any Gels, Bars, Energy Drinks etc.

Zipvit sponsored it last year. When you were registering you could try a sample of everything with a view to buying what you like/need. And they supplied the feed stations so you may not "need" to buy anything.

I won't recommend anything as everyone's tastes are different. Most people seem to like gels but I preferred the bars. And only certain flavours at that.
    Make use of the sample method would be my advice.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • d4evr
    daviesee wrote:
    d4evr wrote:

Zipvit sponsored it last year. When you were registering you could try a sample of everything with a view to buying what you like/need. And they supplied the feed stations so you may not "need" to buy anything.

I won't recommend anything as everyone's tastes are different. Most people seem to like gels but I preferred the bars. And only certain flavours at that.
    Make use of the sample method would be my advice.

Thanks again Daviesee, I must have missed that. I will pick up some stuff for the event and use their stuff on the day, Cheers Again!!!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    What time does the sign on, race numbers etc open and close at on the sat ????
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    Doing my last long run before the etape tonight - planned a 56 miler around Stirling, Doune, Aberfoyle including the Dukes Pass.

Only 17 days to go! :shock:
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    doing mine saturday 60 miles in North Yorkshire, having looked at the start times that are now out, i think our group has under estimated our ability, lots of picking through traffic methinks :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • suzyb
    Got the email with the numbers and start times this morning. I'm in wave R so not too early a start thankfully but I think I picked the wrong option when I signed up. No way I'm doing it in under 5 hours 30 :wink:
  • bianchimoon
    we put down time for slowest in the group so we could start together at +5hrs 30mins, but at least 2 in the group will be sub 4hrs some sub 5hrs with 2 probably 6+ hrs. Starting in wave W so big mix of abilities even that far down the start list, looking forward to it :D
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • screebs
    Wave Z for me! :oops:
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    screebs wrote:
    You're washing up breakfast then :D

I don't know what the effect of being in a later wave is in terms of traffic, which can get a bit dense on the narrow road back along the south side of Loch Rannoch. At least you won't get a lot of people overtaking you :wink:

I've got a fairly early start at 7:01 (wave I) which I'm quite happy about, there'll be quite few faster folk coming through and overtaking me :oops: but that helps keep me going, and as far as I'm concerned you can't have too many fast bunches to draft shamelessly.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited April 2011
    oops double post
  • SFT
    SFT Posts: 156
    When I click on the 'Start Times' link in the email I get the message 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'

anyone else having the same problem of is it just me :cry:
  • bianchimoon
    yup same problem, go to the etape website and you can download from front page
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I googled 'etape caledonia start times' and followed the link to the official website...had a panic when i couldnt find my name. Seems the start times for 2009 are still on the site as well as the 2011 ones :D

I'm in wave K
  • bianchimoon
    I googled 'etape caledonia start times' and followed the link to the official website...had a panic when i couldnt find my name. Seems the start times for 2009 are still on the site as well as the 2011 ones :D

I'm in wave K
    Is that K for Kwick? sounds like you're in a good position, am getting the feeling that our group should have put a quicker time down and not used slowest riders time as there would have been more faster groups to tag along with
  • d4evr
    Well I am in wave Y so not that many to fly past me! :wink:
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    bompington wrote:
    I've got a fairly early start at 7:01 (wave I) which I'm quite happy about, there'll be quite few faster folk coming through and overtaking me :oops: but that helps keep me going, and as far as I'm concerned you can't have too many fast bunches to draft shamelessly.

Same wave as me, see you in the starting pen!!

I started later last year, never seemed to have the right pace of group near me at the right time and had to fight through a lot of traffic at the start. Hoping the earlier time might solve both of these problems.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Wave F, 6:55. Feels like I'm over estimating my ability. But it does fit in with last year's finish. Maybe I'm not as bad at this as I think.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • screebs
    bompington wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    You're washing up breakfast then :D

I don't know what the effect of being in a later wave is in terms of traffic, which can get a bit dense on the narrow road back along the south side of Loch Rannoch. At least you won't get a lot of people overtaking you :wink:

I'll bring my dish cloth! :D

At least i wont get dispirited with people overtaking me - albeit. looking over my shoulder for the sweeper bus might be daunting enough! :P
  • suzyb
    Even if there are people overtaking you it isn't depressing as long as your overtaking others as I found out on last years pedal for scotland.

I know most of those folks were only there for a nice day out but I was still faster than them :wink:
  • SFT
    SFT Posts: 156
    sorted, so thanks

wave T, 7:38

going up tomorrow to ride the course; the weather looks fab so going to be a great way to avoid the wedding :lol:
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I'm in wave T. I'm not sure about the times. My target has always been 5 hours but the only option was 4.30 or 5.30 so I picked 5.30.

I'm still building up, and hope to do my last decent run about a week beforehand.
  • d4evr
    Hi again guys, I have just been told by someone today that if you dont finish the ride in the allotted time that you won't get a medal etc.
    Now I am not that bothered about getting anything at the end to be honest, just getting round and doing it would be enough for me and my sponsors etc, but I found it surprising that this would be the case. As I say I do not know if this is the case or not, can anyone here shed any light on this? Thanks!
  • beinbhan
    beinbhan Posts: 52
    if you finish you will get a medal there is know way of knowing times until they are posted on the web site
  • d4evr
    beinbhan wrote:
    if you finish you will get a medal there is know way of knowing times until they are posted on the web site

Cheers beinbhan, the person who told me said if you have to complete it on open roads you will not get a medal, which I found a bit surprising and harsh if true. Thanks for confirming what I kinda thought, Cheers!! :D