Etape 2011!

Comments

• Has anyone received any paperwork from the organisers, I have entered and am registered but have not received anything in the post? I entered using my French address as I thought it might give me the edge but have arrived here for Christmas skiing but no confirmation in the post box.
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    I think the paperwork this year is all a bit of a mystery.
    Last year, there wasn't any paper confirmation at all. You just checked on the Etape website in the 3-4 weeks before the event & if your name/number was there, you were in. Rock up on the day before with your number & your passport and they dish out your dossard and goody pack.
    This year, with online registration notably meaning that the organisers haven't seen medical clearance for each rider, my guess would be that it'll turn out similarly, but we'll need to take a medical certificate along in addition to the passports.
    But I'm ready to be surprised / completely wrong!
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    anyone doing Stage 2 this year?

I'm going to head out on the Friday, and am looking for a service to take my bike there 1 way only. Anyone driving there with their bike and have room for an extra one, or know of a club who might be have room ?
  • I am driving down on Thursday as I need 2-3 days to get used to the altitude. S taying in Ste Foy until Sunday, driving to Modane register and put up a tent, drive to Alpe d'Huez leave the car there, get the shuttle back to Modane have a good meal Sunday night and a good nights sleep in a Decathlon pop up tent! Get up, bowl of porridge, do the ride, have the bowl of pasta and take in the atmosphere, Drive back to Modane, pack up my tent and head back over the Col l'Iseran to Ste Foy evening meal, sleep drive back to Blighty Tuesday for work Wednesday :)

Have I forgotten anything?
  • boondog
    :) brilliant. with that level of organisation, nothing can go wrong ! :wink:
    The last 2 times I've camped before events have been disastorous. cheap,but disastorous.
  • Hello Etapse'ists!

Quick query from a totally naive novice

Im booked in to L'Alpe D'Huez which I am now riding alone due to lily livered mates
    We are staying in a B&B just down from Modane which I had initially thought was clever being 10km approx from the start

What could be easier?
    Drive my car to the finish Sunday night, get the shuttle back then pedal to the start on Monday

However in my rookiness I didnt factor in the 10km 800m climb to Valfrejus which I admit was stoopid and which I would rather not do before the Etape proper

The lads have offered me a lift to the start but with 6000 plus people getting there how will the road up to Valfrejus look do you think?

Possible, probable or a forget it kind of journey?
    Although everyone staying at the finish will need bussing in so surely the Frenchies will keep it running wont they?

Comments welcome
  • Are you sure you have the correct start point? If you are staying in the valley bottom there is no climb to Modane. If you are on the hill at Valfrejus then its downhill to the start? Are you worried about geting to Valfrejus the day before after the shuttle ride? - suggest a bus,taxi or thumb a lift..
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • Phew great post - I owe you a pint :)
    Perhaps I am that clever after all LOL

Id assumed that Modane-Valfrejus actually meant Valfrejus which does appear to be a stiff climb from the valley

However I hadnt actually looked at the map bit
    This suggests somewhere a little east of Modane as the start which would be sweet

My confusion came from looking at the route profile which goes down from the start thus Id assumed a start from Valfrejus itself which does appear to be up a steep sequence of hairpins

Many thanks
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    I see the start numbers are now available

http://io.addx-tech.com/edmpublic/participantlist.aspx?epreuve=48&lang=en

I'm 102669 which I hope means 2669 or else I'm a long way back!
  • lochindaal
    edited March 2011
    double post
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
  • jasonoh
    jasonoh Posts: 11
    On the official site, the host village, for registrations etc is in Valfrejus. The Etape start is in the centre of Modane at 8am.
  • Fogliettaz
    Fogliettaz Posts: 180
    Will anyone be driving back to Modane after the etape as I might need a lift. My plans keep changing as I am now thinking of leaving my apartment in Ste Foy early monday morning and driving to Modane, do the etape but would then need alift back to the start. This is proving to be bit of a problem as I am probably driving down on my own as the wife does not want to come!
  • jasonoh
    jasonoh Posts: 11
    Fogliettaz,
    I sent you a pm. We might be able to help each other out. I will likely be driving down on me tod as well so we could help each other with logistics?
  • devbn4
    devbn4 Posts: 1
    Morning,

Etape timing schedule is now available

http://www.letapedutour.com/EDT1/2011/E ... eraire.htm

Not long to go now!
  • niedermeyer
    niedermeyer Posts: 1,075
    Let's get this right - elimination time from last starters at 8:00 to fininish at 15:54 is just under 8 hours, meaning an average speed of 13km/h? Slower if you get an earlier start?

That is utterly ridiculous. If anyone gets timed out, what on earth were you doing there in the first place? Etape du Tour as a viable alternative to London-Brighton, anyone?
    Has anybody got any firm information about what to do with a completed medical certificate?

From previous editions, under the old system, I remember the various travel firms insisting that the medical forms returned to them around this time of year. Having gone to the trouble of getting one completed I'd like to send it to someone! I've emailed the organisers but haven't received a reply.

At the moment I'm assuming I'll need to bring the certificate along to the start village at registration.
  • OK another naive noob question

First cut off is at Telegraphe at just past 10AM

Assuming I get off at 8AM this seems comfortable however I have heard horror stories of problematic sportive/Etape starts

What are my chances of clicking in and being mobile at 8AM assuming my start number isnt that great?

Cheers
  • Still places left for Acte II.
  • ianmac84
    ianmac84 Posts: 3
    I see the start numbers are now available

http://io.addx-tech.com/edmpublic/parti ... 48&lang=en

I'm 102669 which I hope means 2669 or else I'm a long way back!

I interpret those numbers (102669) as the registration numbers not the 'bib' ones. The email I received at time of registration had my version of it on (102XXX).
  • Come on everybody!
    This thread seems to be dying

I remain cautiously optimistic but family and work committments have ramped up just as I would rather up my training

On a pragmatic note what of the medical certificates?

I have naively though that I just need to get a note from the doc and present it in France before the ride

I have heard nothing at all besides my confirmation back in October

Anyone else???
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    If you go on the Etape website, click on Registration, then click on medical certificate, you can download the form. Get it signed and take it with you to present when you register for the event.

Did mine yesterday
  • lochindaal
    Just received a mail that new entries are available for Stage 1 in the Alps after a corporate drop out.

Entry form here http://orion.addx-tech.com/edmpublic/inscription.aspx?epreuve=48&lang=en
  • J4zzDogg
    J4zzDogg Posts: 41
    Just signed up for the Issoire to Saint-Flour event on 17th July. Time to start getting some decent miles in.

Anybody else doing this one? I'm thinking that this looks to be the more difficult of the two, for me at least.

Also, any idea when the bib numbers are released?
  • boondog
    Hi J4zzDogg, I;m in for act II as well, starting to up my cycling a little now :)
    Got everything sorted except for the medical certificate, which I'll be doing in the next week or so.
    The website says the start numbers are up in June, so shouldn't be too long now. None of the links above seem to work, so I suspect they're not finalised just yet.
  • J4zzDogg
    I've just signed up for the Rapha/Cyclefit Etape evening on 22nd June. More details at http://www.rapha.cc/etape-evening-22nd-june-2011/

Might be handy if you are London based. This will be my first Etape so it'll be really useful to get a bit more info about the route etc...

Hope the training is going well. :)
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Anyone know where the nearest camp site is to Modane as we haven't got any where else to stay!
  • lochindaal
    Anyone know where the nearest camp site is to Modane as we haven't got any where else to stay!

I'm in a similar situation this year. There are some campsits on line but they seem to not be replying to calls or mails. It could be put the tent in a field. At least it will be close to the start line!

A 2 man pop up tent from Decathlon is £40. It will be cheaper than a nights accommodation even if I have to give it away.
  • boondog
    in an attempt to shock me into training harder, can anyone tell me what the total amount of climbing is for Act II ? and does anyone have a garmin file for the route ?
  • J4zzDogg
    boondog wrote:
    in an attempt to shock me into training harder, can anyone tell me what the total amount of climbing is for Act II ? and does anyone have a garmin file for the route ?

This might be some way off but my understanding is that it is 208km with 3500m of climbing. With that in mind I'm going to spend a fair bit of time on the bike over the next few weekends.

http://www.cyclefilm.com/letape-du-tour/letape-du-tour-2011