Etape 2011!

arlo_m
arlo_m Posts: 24
Now this year's is behind us anybody got any rumours, hints or dead certs for next years? :-0

Comments

• smash_dc
    smash_dc Posts: 4
    I reckon Alpe D'Huez. Although it is completely baseless and just a hunch.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    give it a rest! why do you want to be treated like cattle sent to the slaughter house?

money money money, it's what it's all about. if you want to ride the Alpes I can suggest about 10+ smaller, cheaper, more intimate, funner events.

The mountains are always there, you don't need the etape to go ride them. That just smacks of box ticking.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • give it a rest! why do you want to be treated like cattle sent to the slaughter house?

money money money, it's what it's all about. if you want to ride the Alpes I can suggest about 10+ smaller, cheaper, more intimate, funner events.

The mountains are always there, you don't need the etape to go ride them. That just smacks of box ticking.

Sounds good to me, perhaps you could post a list on this site?
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    With a little preparation visiting the great cols is pretty easy and can be done on a budget. I've managed this solo and with my partner, my two main references were:

lonley planet cycling guides and

French camping sites

The lonely planet guides were (for some time) discontinued when the BBC became the major shared holder. But they released new version, although with a smaller range (vittu).

There's also a range of unsupported areas for camping in most French villages, but for access to showers and the like it's best to find a camp site central to where you want to ride. Camping sites are quite popular in France so your not short of choices and budgets, although seasonal times will affect pricing and availability.

The rest is up to your imagination.....

Having said that, did my first etape this year and loved it (short memory). I'll be doing it again. The atmosphere of the event, its build up and the support during, make it something more than "just another sportive". [Getting ripped off by the hype = BikeRadar Live]
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Gareth1956 wrote:
    give it a rest! why do you want to be treated like cattle sent to the slaughter house?

Sounds good to me, perhaps you could post a list on this site?

there is the Time/Megeve normally run early June and there is one run in the Morzine area (can't remember the name) and of the the Marmotte. I think www.cyclosport.org lists them by month/country
    M.Rushton
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Ahem

May I remind you chaps that it is PBP year next year
  • smash_dc
    smash_dc Posts: 4

Competition. That's why.
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383

Agreed - Do the Marmotte instead!
    (thats another box to tick!) :wink:
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • arlo_m

My God what a dull and predictable comment 'the mountains are always there', 'riding in groups of 10 is fun' – we all know that! But riding La Marmotte, for example, is on a different level (for me anyway) – I didn't ask for your opinion on my lack of imagination, but rest assured the next time I feel the need to, I will.

Rant over, box ticked.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There are loads of good events to ride in the Alps, Pyrenees and beyond. You can try France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland and beyond.

The Etape is good but it is only one ride on a big calendar of events across Europe. I'm not sure many Brits realise that there are many other events that are the equal of the Etape. Some are even harder.

The Etape is very well organised but it has become a way to fleece British riders, they pay close to £200 per entry whereas your Frenchman pays a third of this. Now I thought this was illegal in the EU but hey, few Brits seem to complain.

You can ride better events for a lot less money. Or just ride more events, do several for the price of one Etape.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Last week I rode Col de Joux Plane and the Colombiere, I didn't need an organised event to do it. I just turned up and rode, met lots of other riders, french drivers are cyclist aware. I reckon I had a better experience in my ad-hoc 'sportive' that I would on some money making venture with a megillion other riders. No cut off time either, and I was able to enjoy a bierre blonde on the summit of both the Joux Plane and the Colombiere 8)

But FWIW, I would guess the Etape is headed to the Alps next year. And I'll be there, but won't take part, even if it goes past our door (of the chalet we rent each year).

Good luck to all that enter though, it's always tough, but Sportives are not my thing.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    wow, some people have different tastes to others. what a surprise.

back on topic. arlo_m the etape rumours are necessarily parasitical on the tour rumours - so keep an eye on them and the etape ones will follow. The best place to follow tour rumours is usually here http://paris.thover.com. They will start almost as soon as this year's race finishes.
  • arlo_m
    Thanks avoidingmyphd will do.

Ever wish you'd never bothered starting a thread... :wink:
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    Leaving aside all the pros and cons of the Etape could someone pls tell me when and where the route will be confirmed so I can decide whether to do it next year

if anyone has any recommendations for good organisers of packaged trips they would also be welcome.

Cheers in advance
  • nigelsmith
    nigelsmith Posts: 16
    I believe its the 100th anniversary of the Galibier next year so maybe Telegraph and the big G. If so I will enter again

First etape this year - expensive but loved it for the atmosphere. We went to do the big climbs in the Pyrenees in May and it was a big help especially in that heat knowing what was coming.

We used Cyclomundo - the only downside was that they chose a hotel with the worst food in France - which i suspect is quite difficult - otherwise their organisation particularly getting back to Tarbe was ok. On the Baxter mob - we had their rep on our bus begging for spare places on the morning of the etape - not a good sign giving the demolition job on them elsewhere on the forum.

Good thread BTW!
  • airegin
    airegin Posts: 34
    I have a sneaky feeling that the Etape du tour will go into the alpes. They might even use the col Galibier as it will be the 100th anniversary of them using that climb in the tour de france. Look at the fanfare they made about tourmalet this year. just a hunch.
  • FransJacques
    I'd love to do the Galibier again some time. That was a bastard in '98 and nearly killed me. Did it again in the with the Marmotte but it was cloudy and NOT 36C...

If you'd like to go ride some really quality Sportives try the following out Grand Trophee site. They also run the Marmotte.

http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... p?langue=1

http://www.la-hubert-arbes.fr.fm/ a good one in the Pyrenees I linked in with the 08 Etape.

http://www.lechtibiketour.org/ this one is OK but the climbs are nothing huge.

Finally there are no less than 3 Ventoux-centric sportives!

The smaller French ones have great sit down dinners afterwards at a big rec center with wine and beer included. They usually have a "tambola" or raffle draw for prizes. It's just a lot more intimate.

And that's just France! Forget Italy, that's a whole kettle of fish.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    PoledancingonGalibierSummit.jpg
  • FransJacques
    That's awesome! When was that, May? :-)
  • Anonymous
    No, end of June!!
  • Anonymous
    This is in order of the ride, from Bourg d'Oisans. June 22nd 2010.

SettingofffortheGalibier.jpg

RefreshingatLaGrave.jpg

Comingoutofatunnel.jpg

HeadingupfromLacduChambon.jpg

This one was taken by my mate -
    AlexLauteret.jpg

Start of Galibier from Lauteret, that cloud on the left was where we were headed!
    Galibierstart.jpg

We had to walk the last 400m or so from the tunnel to the summit!
    AlexwalkingupGalibier.jpg

AlexcheesyontopofGalibier.jpg

Just shows how you need to be prepared! The first day we did th'Alpe d'Huez, we got to the top and it was blizzard conditions. Never been as cold in my life, only had light summer clothing on and my stowaway. Had to call in a shop at the top and spend a fortune on a hat, gloves and leg warmers just to get down!
  • dodgy
    Great picture story Nap :) I remember your tweets at the time saying how surprised you'd been about the cold weather. No such problems for me when I went in early July, it was baking - even on the tops of the Joux Plane and Colombiere.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers mate! Was a real surprise but still really enjoyed it! Have you any pics of your jaunt?
  • dodgy
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Cheers mate! Was a real surprise but still really enjoyed it! Have you any pics of your jaunt?

I've been a bit lazy on the photos front, but I did take a lot of them, and some video. The only video I've put online so far is this one that I took on the way down from the Joux Plane, I was worried about overheating brakes/rims so stopped for a short video. The sound of the cow bells was so relaxing :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPbLfdySxw

I must get around to putting more up. I caught a stage of the Tour de France, too. I did Col de la Colombiere on the Tour rest day, the same day Armstrong (I'm neither a fan or a hater - he's a famous cyclist to me) decided to ride the Joux Plane. I wished i'd have done the JP on rest day, might have been overtaken by him :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Looks amazing!
  • malcolmfrost
    malcolmfrost Posts: 211
    edited August 2010
    How about this rumour then?
    Briancon to AdH via Lauteret/Galibier, Telegraph, Croix de Fer and AdH! 166k, 4600m of climbing.
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=164573
  • bs147
    bs147 Posts: 164
    Sounds good to me - if it's that or similar I'll do the Etape instead of the Marmotte next year! Here's hoping!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    How about this rumour then?
    Briancon to AdH via Lauteret/Galibier, Telegraph, Croix de Fer and AdH! 166k, 4600m of climbing.

LOVE IT
    I think I'm 90% already planning to do it, whatever the route - can't imagine not doing it. FWIW, I think it is an amazing day - it gets me all emotional 8)

Hoping to get in another sportive overseas as well - better start saving up
  • I've got unfinished business with la Marmotte and an unusable polo shirt, 1-1 with the Etape so I'll give both a go. This time I'll do a lot more cycling and less running over the winter!
  • arlo_m
    That's interesting one... easier than La Marmotte though ~ (marginal of course).