Etape 2011!

Comments

• Now if we're truly going to celebrate the 100th anniversary, perhaps someone :D should do the original route!
    Chamonix to Grenoble 366km won in 13:35 by Emile Georget, over the Aravis, Telegraphe, Galibier, Lauteret.
    My BRT attempt is http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=168376 and it's still 40km short!
  • arlo_m
    arlo_m Posts: 24
    Now your talking Malcolm!
  • Now if we're truly going to celebrate the 100th anniversary, perhaps someone :D should do the original route!
    Chamonix to Grenoble 366km won in 13:35 by Emile Georget, over the Aravis, Telegraphe, Galibier, Lauteret.
    My BRT attempt is http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=168376 and it's still 40km short!

Rapha will send a few to try it.
  • All the details of the Tour route here: http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/COURSE/us/le_parcours.html
    Looks like the favourite is Modane to Alpe d'Huez, but that is way too short, there's also been some talk of Issoire to St Flour. The outsider would be Pinerolo to Galibier but the Etape has never been outside France.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Nap you are a disgrace. The chain is in the small ring, facing the wrong way, with both cranks visible and there is a very distracting image in the background.

D- could do better.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    do do we have a route yet or not? I thought it was announced today along with the full route and yet there still seems some confusion.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Confirmation of Etape tomorrow Popette :lol:
  • popette wrote:
    do do we have a route yet or not? I thought it was announced today along with the full route and yet there still seems some confusion.
    Not yet: at the tdf route announcement, they said that the etape will be announced tomorrow, and that there will be a nice surprise.
    Internet rumours say that the surprise is 2 etapes.
    The stages in contention according to the rumours are stage 9 (Issoire > Saint-Flour, 208km) and stage 19 (Modane > Alpe-d’Huez, 109km).
    We'll find out tomorrow, anyway!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Cheers guys.....mmm....neither really appeal. As stated either above or on another thread, Marmotte does same cols and is logistically more simple.
    My interest is moving to http://www.quebrantahuesos.com/ for 2011....but the thought of not doing L'Etape is painful....
  • 3Pears
    Popette
    La Marmotte is fantastic and very tough. Soooo much cheaper than L'Etape not just entry but due to logistics. Stay on top of Alp, descend to the start :D

The 1st climb of the Glandon is very long and fairly tough, well worth a look :P
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    It is indeed 2 stages according to innerring. First week to Alped'Huz, week after to St.Flour. Double bite of the cherry for ASO. The Etape is normally rammed, now they have the potential to double the money.
    M.Rushton
  • The rumours were correct.....http://www.letapedutour.com/

Telegraphe, Galibier & D'Huez on 11th of July 2011......bring it on!
    Was thinking ...its only 68 miles.........until I had a reality check.
    2480454.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Ok I know it is not the done thing but if I ask my cousin in France to register and then I take his place will it work??
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • mrushton wrote:
    The Etape is normally rammed, now they have the potential to double the money.

Or double the logistical nightmare for those travelling to/from the events. :D
  • Sliver Fox wrote:
    The rumours were correct.....http://www.letapedutour.com/

Telegraphe, Galibier & D'Huez on 11th of July 2011......bring it on!
    Was thinking ...its only 68 miles.........until I had a reality check.

Reality check #2: It's a mini-Marmotte. :wink:
  • Ithink the double whammy is a good idea... one for the climbers, one for the others...

The Galibier + Alpe d'Huez is tough, but doable, easier than 2010 one, in my view. The other one is very interesting actually, it's a very nice part of France
    left the forum March 2023
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    so will they rip the brits off twice now or will the price come down ?
  • There is direct entry this year ....6000 entry only tickets for each sportive on 15th Nov direct from ASO...don't need to be French w. Velo subscription.....

1st come 1st served.......making it easier to take our money.....

Mini marmotte this year for me I think.........
    2480454.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • mrushton
    Smart idea tho' having 2 as certain people (and some of them will be on here) will HAVE to do both and it allows ASO to increase numbers. If one is full then maybe you can do the other. Think I'd choose to the Marmotte and the St.Flour stage if I was doing both. That St.Flour stage looks tricky from the profile but the logistics of the area look reasonably difficult. getting tothe start/from the finish Is it rural around there and what's the nearest airport? This would be my choice for the Etape as it's a stage that isn't the usual Pyrenee/Alp finish
    M.Rushton
  • I had decided to do the Marmotte already this year. Now worried it could be harder to get in as the Etape could be unappealing as too easy for the mountain stage section compared with previous ones
  • mrushton
    There is nothing easy about the Telegraphe/Galiber/AdH route. If it's hot you fry, if it's cold/wet the long descents will make you suffer.
    M.Rushton
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    not easy, but with one less climb than la marmotte it is easier.
  • sherer
    anyone got dates for this yet ? I'm off on hols for some of June but would love to do the AdH stage although i'm not sure if the event might be a bit beyond me.

Actually found it myself

Route is here

http://www.letapedutour.com/EDT1/2011/E ... rcours.htm

11th July and also mentions the 9th April Roubaix sportive and the St Flour one too
  • Of the three the Roubaix interests me. The Roubaix sportive would make a good pairing with the Tour of Flanders sportive the week before. Two cyclosportives and three pro races (including the ladies RvV race) with a bit of touring about in-between the weekends – could be a good little spring trip.

Anyway, back to the Étape(s)...
  • Here is the second day on Bike Route toaster.
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=186403
    Looks like a hard route, undulating could be a description!
    Personally I will try and do this one and the Marmotte.
    Nearest big airport looks like Lyon which also has TGV from Paris.
    This is Acte 1 which looks logistically harder.
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=186408
  • mrushton wrote:
    There is nothing easy about the Telegraphe/Galiber/AdH route. If it's hot you fry, if it's cold/wet the long descents will make you suffer.

Actually I think it is pretty easy. If it kicks off at 7:00 as per usual, then the fast guys will be in for lunch; even the plodders should be in by 2. In that case, it won't be too hot.

Modane - St Michel - 17km, 400m descent - 25 minutes.
    Telegraphe - 11.8km at 7.3% - 1 hour (or would be if it weren't for the disastrous traffic jams that are inevitable
    Descent to Valloire - 7 minute
    Galibier -18.1 at 6.9% - 2 hours (generous)
    Descent to Bourg - 50km 75mins
    Alpe - 90 mins

Makes 6 and a quarter hours - in at 13:15

I don't think I'd bother - spunking £700 at least by the time you've got there for a morning's ride.
  • Of the three the Roubaix interests me. The Roubaix sportive would make a good pairing with the Tour of Flanders sportive the week before. Two cyclosportives and three pro races (including the ladies RvV race) with a bit of touring about in-between the weekends – could be a good little spring trip.

It's not the official route though... unlike the Audax we did in June

there's no way one can go from St. Quentin to Roubaix via the official route in 135 Km... more like 180 in fact.
    It will be a taster with maybe 10-15 sections of pave instead of the official 26

With the Audax at 20 Euro, I wonder why one should bother with this...
  • sherer
    Of the three the Roubaix interests me. The Roubaix sportive would make a good pairing with the Tour of Flanders sportive the week before. Two cyclosportives and three pro races (including the ladies RvV race) with a bit of touring about in-between the weekends – could be a good little spring trip.

there's no way one can go from St. Quentin to Roubaix via the official route in 135 Km... more like 180 in fact.
    It will be a taster with maybe 10-15 sections of pave instead of the official 26

Think the advantage is that you get to see the race the day after and also you get to do it in the same weather conditions
  • 3Pears
    Col Galibier is going to be very busy through July 2011 :shock:

2/7/11 La Marmotte sportive
    10/7/11 Luc Alphand sportive
    11/7/11 L'Etape sportive
    21/7/11 Stage 18 Le Tour
    22/7/11 Stage 19 Le Tour

Busy times on the big mountain in addition to 'normal' cyclist traffic !! Boy oh boy the cyclist friendly cafes are going to do well :lol:
  • sherer wrote:
    Of the three the Roubaix interests me. The Roubaix sportive would make a good pairing with the Tour of Flanders sportive the week before. Two cyclosportives and three pro races (including the ladies RvV race) with a bit of touring about in-between the weekends – could be a good little spring trip.

Think the advantage is that you get to see the race the day after and also you get to do it in the same weather conditions

Same weather ...not necessarily...

besides, when we did it in June was a lot worse than when Cancellara did it in April. The worst that can happen is that ASO, worried with liability, could cut off the hardest sectors, those likely to cause accidents, like Mons En Pevele...

I am curious to see the route...