Tour de France stage 15 *spoiler*

Comments

• AS gained 1'13" over AC on the cobbles did'nt see any waiting going on that day, the only time he has gained over AC in real racing was 10"
  • AidanR wrote:
    I think comparing this to stages 2 and 3 is a bit of a red herring - stage 2 was a complete anomaly where spilt oil brought down over half the peloton, and stage 3 was always going to cause splits in the field, so the onus was on the GC contenders to be well placed.

There is a noble tradition of not taking advantage of another's misfortune in the TdF... heck, even Armstrong abided by that!
    Beloki?
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    eh wrote:
    Someone should present Schleck with one of these:

DedaDogFang.jpg

It came off from the big ring not the small ring, wouldn't have made any difference... :wink:
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    AidanR wrote:
    I think comparing this to stages 2 and 3 is a bit of a red herring - stage 2 was a complete anomaly where spilt oil brought down over half the peloton, and stage 3 was always going to cause splits in the field, so the onus was on the GC contenders to be well placed.

There is a noble tradition of not taking advantage of another's misfortune in the TdF... heck, even Armstrong abided by that!
    Beloki?

Beloki broke his femur! Wouldn't have done much good sitting up and waiting for him...
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Bakunin wrote:
    No one stopped in a small group when Alberto got a flat in a mountain stage in 2007, probably costing him the stage.

If I remember right he banged his bars and then raced the next day.

Nine seconds does not ruin the Tour -- people need to take a breath.

Contador did not deserve to be booed.

Except it's not 9 seconds. It was 41 seconds.
  • AidanR wrote:
    AidanR wrote:

Beloki?

Beloki broke his femur! Wouldn't have done much good sitting up and waiting for him...
    didnt know that at the time though did he
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Contador should have eased off and asked the others to. A PR disaster for AC. Ullrich at least waited till LA got back. Ullrich was a gentleman..
  • Pokerface
    AS gained 1'13" over AC on the cobbles did'nt see any waiting going on that day, the only time he has gained over AC in real racing was 10"

First off, neither was in the Yellow Jersey at the time so your point is lost.

Secondly, Contador didn't have a mechanical that day so that pretty much makes it 'real racing'.

If you know anything about the Tour and racing, then you'd know where the real issue lies in this whole situation.
  • tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    Pokerface wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:
    No one stopped in a small group when Alberto got a flat in a mountain stage in 2007, probably costing him the stage.

It was about 12 going over the top.. The rest he lost on the way down.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Ok can someone clarify - did he drop his chain whilst changing gear or was it because of the bump that he seemed to kick up over knocking the chain off?

Changing gear by what I saw.

I also think Contador lied about no seeing the mechanical.

I agree i think Bertie is making things worse coming with that sh ite, bottom line is he knew exactly what he was doing at first i thought what he did was ok but looking at it again i think he shoud have waited. Not very often you see the yellow jesrsey being booed like that i suppose it must have happened before but i cant recall it.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Contador says he spoke to Andy and that Andy's unhappy because it just happened but it sounds to me like Andy didn't believe Contador's bull.

And contador worked hard at the front during the ascent AND the descent and at the end of the stage too.
  • AidanR
    AidanR wrote:
    AidanR wrote:

Beloki?

didnt know that at the time though did he

It was a big crash and it happened right in front of him. And he'd have been updated over radio. No offence, but I think you're being a bit daft!
  • donrhummy
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Contador should have eased off and asked the others to. A PR disaster for AC. Ullrich at least waited till LA got back. Ullrich was a gentleman..

Sure, he also was a perennial 2nd place. If Contador wins this TDF, in 20 years, no one will be talking about him being an unworthy winner.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    Pokerface wrote:
    AS gained 1'13" over AC on the cobbles did'nt see any waiting going on that day, the only time he has gained over AC in real racing was 10"

First off, neither was in the Yellow Jersey at the time so your point is lost.

Secondly, Contador didn't have a mechanical that day so that pretty much makes it 'real racing'.

If you know anything about the Tour and racing, then you'd know where the real issue lies in this whole situation.

Why do you get special treatment in yellow? Either it's a wrong thing to do, or it's a right thing to do. What jersey you're wearing shouldn't come into it......particularly as they both will have known they were each others main rivals, everyone else already did.

I still say just get on with the racing, at what point do you draw the line over who is or isn't important enough to be waited for......and who decides...
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Pokerface wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

Contador has a 9 second lead -- they are basically even.

Two stages for Andy to crack AC. What is the deal with all this crying?

Race the bikes.
  • Ironman595
    Ironman595 Posts: 93
    12 at the top- but it was about about 40-45 seconds by the time he actuallly got back on his bike after the second chain junmped...
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Andy descends like Basso.

That is a real problem.
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Andy Schleck andy_schleck

I lost yellow today!sh;t happens but the race is not over yet!!!I be back!

http://twitter.com/andy_schleck
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Bjarne Riis.

"I didn't see it but it's all part of racing circumstances," said the Dane. "I think he (Contador) waited at the start, and then he went. That's just part of racing."
    http://www.bikeradar.com/racing/racesta ... age-15-749[/url]
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Meh.. shleck needs to stfu and admit that this happens its bike racing not cricket... I personally would not have waited and watched Menchov and Sánchez just ride away while shleck fixes his sh|t?
    cartoon.jpg
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Doobz wrote:
    Meh.. shleck needs to stfu and admit that this happens its bike racing not cricket... I personally would not have waited and watched Menchov and Sánchez just ride away while shleck fixes his sh|t?

That's what Riis said.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Doobz wrote:
    Meh.. shleck needs to stfu and admit that this happens its bike racing not cricket... I personally would not have waited and watched Menchov and Sánchez just ride

As has been pointed out he was happy to watch that situation enfold the day before.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Doobz
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    Meh.. shleck needs to stfu and admit that this happens its bike racing not cricket... I personally would not have waited and watched Menchov and Sánchez just ride

As has been pointed out he was happy to watch that situation enfold the day before.

whats that saying again??

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me
    cartoon.jpg
  • Pokerface
    mea00csf wrote:
    Why do you get special treatment in yellow?

It's a little thing called 'tradition'.
  • donrhummy
    Doobz wrote:

What is this "while Mechov/Sanchez ride away" crap everyone keeps spouting. When Andy dropped his chain it was Contador who attacked, HARD, and Menchov/Sanchez just tried to catch up to him. They then followed him for a bit BEFORE finally going. If Contador doesn't attack Andy, how do we know Menchov.Sanchez would have?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Erm, if Schleck had needed a bike how long would that have taken? Minute, two?

To me (from youtube footage) it looked like AC was soft-padalling after the initial attack until Menchov/Sanchez went past.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    edited July 2010
    iainf72 wrote:
    Doobz wrote:

That's what Riis said.

in 2003 the gc guys eased off...a word from AC to Sanchez and Menchov would have been right.. then chase them. If LA had done it...hmm, would it have been okay?
  • AidanR
    I really doubt he was thinking that Menchov and Sanchez were a threat any more than he did yesterday - I imagine that he was only thinking about distancing Schleck. Besides, those two were behind him at the time - it's not like he was simply trying to keep up with them.
  • Doobz
    edited July 2010
    He would have been in yellow anyways if andy had not attacked on the stage earlier in the tour..

Real champ below!!

eef4d845aa27720241eb2b08383e30b6-getty-cycling-fra-tdf-2010-podium.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    Contador is a scum sucker. All this talk about Denis and Sanchez well they may well have respected Schleck but this was impossible when one of their competitors for GC attacked like a rat.

It was all in Contador's hands at all times up the climb and at anytime if he ahd relaxed so would have Denis and Sanchez.

Total ass.

Also nothing like the other two stages. The go slow was because oil dripped all over the road making it like sheet ice. The cobbles is risky by design and so it is not the form to wait as falls, punctures, confusion is what that stage is all about.