Tour de France stage 15 *spoiler*

Comments

• ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Racing incident.

Schleck attacks from the back and gets a gap, Vino responds followed by Conatdor. Vino and Contador pass Schleck as he fumbles the gear change (no Dog Fang...) and are past as Schleck stops and dismounts, panics and has to make two attempts to replace the chain.

Contador seems to pause unsure what to do by which time Menchov and Sanchez seem to want to press on to gain time on the 1st and 2nd placed riders in GC. Contador has to go with that move and when he does there's no point faffing about.

Forget what Spartacus did on the stage to Spa or Schleck did when Chavanel was off, it was a case of the Yellow Jersey attacking the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place riders and feckin it up.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    edited July 2010
    So the question you have to ask yourselves is, did Schleck make a mistake with his gearing? If the answer is yes, then AC did right.

I think, unless someone knows much more about the technicals then I do, this was human error and avoidable by Schleck and as so Contador had every right to capitalise on it.

Strange how the bike worked for the next 20+km OK.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    As a Spaniard who is obviously supporting Contador I am in 2 minds.

First people say the cobble stage is different, I would agree if it was like Paris-Roubaix, but it isn't, its part of the Tour de France so same rules should apply as it has an effect on GC.

On the other hand, hey these things happens, it seems like a bad change of gears to me, that causes the chain to fall, should he wait? Did he see it? It looks like he should have seen it. In any case I don't think he should wait...

It's only 8 seconds anyway, if Schelk wants to win it he should go and attack now.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Doobz wrote:
    I think we should look at it this way..

there are 8 seconds between them now - its pretty much a level playing field again.. if AS really is up to the job and really deserves to be in yellow he has to take it and tomorrow is his only real chance.

Yep Tomorrow is his only real chance..........................providing they miss out Thurdsay

PROFILVIGNETTE.gif
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Doobz wrote:
    I think we should look at it this way..

there are 8 seconds between them now - its pretty much a level playing field again.. if AS really is up to the job and really deserves to be in yellow he has to take it and tomorrow is his only real chance.

Yep Tomorrow is his only real chance..........................providing they miss out Thurdsay

PROFILVIGNETTE.gif

wow two more days of mountains.. I am not sure why I though tomorrow was the last one.. ohh the drama :)
    cartoon.jpg
  • Doobz
    :shock:

f9a9b389d4bf0366a0ad95aa3bb12b4b-getty-rpt-cycling-fra-tdf-2010-combo.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • gabriel959 wrote:

First people say the cobble stage is different, I would agree if it was like Paris-Roubaix, but it isn't, its part of the Tour de France so same rules should apply as it has an effect on GC.

On the other hand, hey these things happens, it seems like a bad change of gears to me, that causes the chain to fall, should he wait? Did he see it? It looks like he should have seen it. In any case I don't think he should wait...

It's only 8 seconds anyway, if Schelk wants to win it he should go and attack now.

Been a Contador fan for 4 or 5 years now, but I must admit I was a bit disappointed in him today.
    Watched the Schleck gear change incident a number of times now and Contador definitely saw what happened as he had to ride around Schleck to avoid running into the back of him.
    Some might argue that it was Schleck's fault for a poor change, but I always thought that there was an unwritten rule in the peloton that you did not capitalise on someone else's crash or mechanical by attacking??
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I can't wait til people keep unshipping their chain whenever someone attacks so they ease off and wait.

It's going to add a whole new dimension to cycling.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • AidanR wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    I think comparing this to stages 2 and 3 is a bit of a red herring - stage 2 was a complete anomaly where spilt oil brought down over half the peloton, and stage 3 was always going to cause splits in the field, so the onus was on the GC contenders to be well placed.

There is a noble tradition of not taking advantage of another's misfortune in the TdF... heck, even Armstrong abided by that!
    Beloki?

Beloki broke his femur! Wouldn't have done much good sitting up and waiting for him...
    didnt know that at the time though did he

It was a big crash and it happened right in front of him. And he'd have been updated over radio. No offence, but I think you're being a bit daft!

The key thing about that one was, Armstrong took a shortcut. Instant DQ? One rule for one....
  • Doobz
    gabriel959 wrote:

Been a Contador fan for 4 or 5 years now, but I must admit I was a bit disappointed in him today.
    Watched the Schleck gear change incident a number of times now and Contador definitely saw what happened as he had to ride around Schleck to avoid running into the back of him.
    Some might argue that it was Schleck's fault for a poor change, but I always thought that there was an unwritten rule in the peloton that you did not capitalise on someone else's crash or mechanical by attacking??

you watched it in real time?? do you know how fast they were going??! Did you see the speed that bertie was going when he went round the LEFT hand side of AS?? - To bertie it could have just looked like AS sat up and was playing games rather then a mechanical!

In my view there is no way of bertie seeing that AS had dropped a chain.. How was he supposed to know what was going on as race radio/team orders might not have come till he was allready up the road..
    cartoon.jpg
  • moray_gub
    Doobz wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

you watched it in real time?? do you know how fast they were going??! Did you see the speed that bertie was going when he went round the LEFT hand side of AS?? - To bertie it could have just looked like AS sat up and was playing games rather then a mechanical!

In my view there is no way of bertie seeing that AS had dropped a chain.. How was he supposed to know what was going on as race radio/team orders might not have come till he was allready up the road..

You do realise it was Vino behind AS when he slipped a chain Bertie who was 10 metres behind and knew he had a mechanical and he pushed on becuase of it.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    AidanR wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    AidanR wrote:
    I think comparing this to stages 2 and 3 is a bit of a red herring - stage 2 was a complete anomaly where spilt oil brought down over half the peloton, and stage 3 was always going to cause splits in the field, so the onus was on the GC contenders to be well placed.

There is a noble tradition of not taking advantage of another's misfortune in the TdF... heck, even Armstrong abided by that!
    Beloki?

Beloki broke his femur! Wouldn't have done much good sitting up and waiting for him...
    didnt know that at the time though did he

It was a big crash and it happened right in front of him. And he'd have been updated over radio. No offence, but I think you're being a bit daft!

The key thing about that one was, Armstrong took a shortcut. Instant DQ? One rule for one....

I feel dumber just for reading that. :roll:
  • ;P
  • Doobz
    yes Moray.. I do realize that AS managed to pull the wool over AC's eyes and get some clear space.. :D

2f5f3a2ce6ece901e489a71e01e0d40d-getty-cycling-fra-tdf-2010-contador-schleck-vinokourov.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I wonder how many of you watch other professional sports, it's not like they worry about 'honour' anymore so why should cycling be any different. Take cricket for example where a batsmen won't walk even if he knows he nicked one to the keeper and sees if he can get away with it.

For me it all boils down to whether Contador is comfortable with the chance that he may win the tour by a margin that he gained today and find himself always having to listen to people say it wasn't a 'proper' win. Personally I'd prefer to win events without any room for dispute but if that doesn't bother him then fair do's I say.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    the thing is at the time AC would have had no idea if this is something AS caused or a mechanical, as such he should have waited.

Big fan of AC and don't see how a rider of his class has to attack when a rider has a mechanical
  • moray_gub
    For me it all boils down to whether Contador is comfortable with the chance that he may win the tour by a margin that he gained today and find himself always having to listen to people say it wasn't a 'proper' win. Personally I'd prefer to win events without any room for dispute but if that doesn't bother him then fair do's I say.

Contador was unable to look AS in the face when they met at the podium ceremony, he looked really uncomfortable.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I'd love to know what Andy said as they passed each other on the podium.

Fact that seems to be missing here is that Andy lost most of his time on the descent. OK he would probably have stayed with them on the descent and it was mainly Samu pushing against him....

It's easy to see both sides of the story, and difficult not to feel sorry for Schleck.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Contador saying he wasn't aware of Andy's problem.. about as convincing as some of his attacks yesterday. Dropping back for drinks and chats, and now this.. Andy hasn't covered himself in glory.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Doobz wrote:
    yes Moray.. I do realize that AS managed to pull the wool over AC's eyes and get some clear space.. :D

Yeah, I think when Andy watches it back he's going to really feel like Contador was bulls--tting him. He's gonna be pissed. Which can only be good for us spectators!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2010
    Like everyone else on planet earth, Contador would have known that Andy likely had a chain issue within about 2 secs - the ''body-language'' from Shleck's legs was obvious - his body-language screamed out ''the chain's come off' - you can tell instantly by his pedalling style - Contador would have seen Andy's legs ''pedalling into nothing'', ie chain issue. I suspect contador knew within about 2-3 seconds - he then decided to launch a ferocious attack to capitalise on Andy's misfortune.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Did Schleck have a train issue yesterday when he was doing track stands.
  • Doobz
    Mettan wrote:
    Like everyone else on planet earth Contador would have known that Andy likely had a chain issue within about 2 secs - the body-language from Shleck's legs was obvious - his body-language screamed out ''the chain's come off' - you can tell instantly by his pedalling style - Contador would have seen Andy's legs ''pedalling into nothing'', ie chain issue. I suspect contador knew within about 2-3 seconds - he then decided to launch an attack to capitalise on Andy's misfortune.

serves as right for being such a smug little tw@t when he has not really done anything to deserve the yellow...
    cartoon.jpg
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Contador hammering on the front to get away from Andy:

a17f2972619b9016402893d72ed732d1-getty-cycling-fra-tdf-2010-contador.jpg

Leading on the descent:
    e46034018438a460d64822befeff5b46-getty-cycling-fra-tdf-2010-contador-menchov.jpg

Leading the group again:
    dc49a600d1bd81bea94245c4e0c27916-getty-cycling-fra-tdf-2010-contador-menchov.jpg

and again
    dece78617008768f49d17b07720555e8-getty-cycling-fra-tdf-2010-contador-menchov-sanchez.jpg
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Doobz wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    Like everyone else on planet earth Contador would have known that Andy likely had a chain issue within about 2 secs - the body-language from Shleck's legs was obvious - his body-language screamed out ''the chain's come off' - you can tell instantly by his pedalling style - Contador would have seen Andy's legs ''pedalling into nothing'', ie chain issue. I suspect contador knew within about 2-3 seconds - he then decided to launch an attack to capitalise on Andy's misfortune.

serves as right for being such a smug little tw@t when he has not really done anything to deserve the yellow...

Thank you Doobz for taking up the Contador man-love slack that has been left by FF.
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    edited July 2010
    Well that certainly made for compelling viewing. Wil he wont he, will he wont he....

If AC had waited, would Sanchez and Menchov ? So did he get to a point and then deicde to work to secure his 2nd position just in case AS got back on or reduced the time gap. In my eye's he must have been aware that AS had dropped his chain. Surely his DS would have told him via the radio what had happened, to say he didnt see it or that he didnt know what as going on, is I suspect telling porkie pies.

Seems to me he was in a no win situation, Wait and loose his 2nd position but garner respect from the other riders, or go out on the attack and get himself into Yellow.

As said earlier, in previous years, in similar situations Ulrich's flat, Amstrongs musette handlebar interface, people have waited and regrouped.

But if Saxo Bank hadnt burnt all their riders earlier on in the stage would the situation have been different with one or two team mates around him to work together to pull him back would Schleck still be in Yellow. Look at the number of Astana riders Contador had around him on that last climb...

Only one thing for Schleck to do now is go out on the attack. 8 seconds isnt that much...
  • Doobz
    No Probs Rokkala :wink:
    donrhummy wrote:
    Contador hammering on the front to get away from Andy

The first pic is a bit of a weird one. some dude on the side of the road says something to him and bertie responds. AC was very crafty that he did'nt go full full gas and drop the others.. He knew that they would help him gain more time..
    cartoon.jpg
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited July 2010
    Doobz wrote:
    Mettan wrote:

2010 Tour Stage wins by Andy Schleck: 1
    2010 Tour Stage wins By Alberto Contador: 0

Idiotic comments by Doobz: dozens and counting.
  • moray_gub
    Rokkala wrote:
    Doobz wrote:

Thank you Doobz for taking up the Contador man-love slack that has been left by FF.

:lol: FF has a fight on his hands when he comes back and finds his position has been usurped by Doobz
  • domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    Pokerface wrote:

2010 Tour Stage wins by Andy Schleck: 2
    2010 Tour Stage wins By Alberto Contador: 0

Idiotic comments by Doobz: dozens and counting.

Hasn't Schleck only won 1 stage this year?