TdF Stage 10 *Spoiler*

12346»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    +1 a mixture of some good serious papers (Times) and others like The Sun! The worst offender in his empire in my opinion is Fox News, I couldn't believe how politically biased a news channel could be prior to a recent trip to the US!

Innit. And why do they have to be so SHOUTY? The most odd experience I've had in the US was watching TV at 3 in the morning (jet lag on west coast) and flicking onto Vs. I've never seen a TV program about hunting before....

I think Fox news is for people who like to listen to people yell at each other and at the same time get yelled at themselves. It's very odd and I can't watch it. Just too much and way too many talking heads banging against each other. And opinionated, wow, Rupert
    is definitely a Republican, or worse.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Has he got enough friends for that to happen?
  • dennisn
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    Interesting that Roche picked up a not to be sniffed at 1'23 at the finish and Armstrong finished 1'28 down on the sprinters.

A cheap shot according to another ridiculous thread on here! :roll: I guess Armstrong wasn't risking another crash on that final descent.

My theory is that if Armstrong loses enough time, the peloton will let him go off in a breakaway for a final swansong.

There seems to be two separate theories about LA.
    One - that everyone in the peloton is terrified of him.
    Two - that to everyone in the peloton he's a great rider, friend, and finish line threat.
    Your theory would seem to depend on #2. I'm inclined to believe #2 myself. I just don't see
    terror in the eyes of other riders when they are around him. BB is big on LA being like some evil demon capable of getting 200 guys to do his bidding whenever he wants. I just can't even come close to buying that.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dennisn wrote:

There seems to be two separate theories about LA.
    One - that everyone in the peloton is terrified of him.
    Two - that to everyone in the peloton he's a great rider, friend, and finish line threat.
    Your theory would seem to depend on #2. I'm inclined to believe #2 myself. I just don't see
    terror in the eyes of other riders when they are around him. BB is big on LA being like some evil demon capable of getting 200 guys to do his bidding whenever he wants. I just can't even come close to buying that.

I don't think it's either of the theories. I think they get along fine with him for the most part and have a lot of respect for him (even if they do think he doped)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    iainf72 wrote:
    I believe the WSJ is considered the most credible newspaper in the US (it has the largest distribution) by many. But if you want to add newspapers you can't take seriously to your list (because they printed Armstrong stories), add the New York Times in there.

Iain -- I wouldn't put the WSJ as high as you do.

I would list them as follows: 1) NY Times; 2) Washington Post. In the academic world, those two broad sheets would be considered the papers of record.

I doubt the WSJ has a larger distribution than USA Today. It does have a much better reputation though.

Of course, in the States, no one reads newspapers. They're going the way of the dinosaurs.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited July 2010
    Dave_1 wrote:
    great to see the Shack beat the Frenchies on Bastille Day.
    I can quite believe that Armstrong is gloating over Shack's win right now for that very reason...
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    dennisn wrote:
    doesn't Lance, and all of America for that matter, hate the French?
    Well that's the impression sections of the American media like to give...

"Lance is on top of the world; what could possibly motivate him anymore? Well, there's rubbing the Gallic nose into the pavement again, always a trusty pleasure."

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2001-07-01/feature4.php

'Freedom fries' anyone? :wink:
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    I believe the WSJ is considered the most credible newspaper in the US (it has the largest distribution) by many. But if you want to add newspapers you can't take seriously to your list (because they printed Armstrong stories), add the New York Times in there.

I think WSJ used to be very credible before Rupert. It was a financial newspaper and now it seems to be going toward celeb news and that sort of thing.
    As for the NYT's. Don't even get me started on them. They are so politically correct it's
    beyond belief.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    doesn't Lance, and all of America for that matter, hate the French?
    Well that's the impression sections of the American media like to give...

"Lance is on top of the world; what could possibly motivate him anymore? Well, there's rubbing the Gallic nose into the pavement again, always a trusty pleasure."

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2001-07-01/feature4.php

'Freedom fries' anyone? :wink:

O.K. but we only hated them for awhile. Then we forgave them. :wink::wink: Actually that was more media bullsh*t than anything. Nobody I talked to had anything bad to say. Of course there were the jokes, but hey, we're famous for that. And of course a small group or two of nut cases to round things out and therefore the media interest.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I don't think "The French" would be that upset about Paulinho winning today. Maybe if he'd slipped on a veil before the final sprint...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10611398
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Is anyone else finding this Tour rather dull? Seems we're already down to a two hourse race. A pretty meaningless stage today, once again only competed by two riders with the remainder having a rest day. Hopefully stage 11 will bring a bit more excitement.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Will Popo pack? Seems to be a headwind. Finally we have a selection of 4.
    No Frenchy! :shock:
    B Box and Ag2r haven't quit just yet................
    Lance trying to "neutralise" the stage already! :lol:

You have a head like a pawn shop................you will take in anything.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    It's good to know Robbie Hunter is just as angry in real life as he is on Twitter. "YOU F**KING IDIOT."

Indeed.

Seems to be a correlation with riders with no results and riders with loud foul mouths

Your lack of knowledge about cycling astounds me sometimes

I am surprised that you are astounded.
  • moray_gub
    gabriel959 wrote:
    dennis o moray gub

Goodness, definitely not anything like these two...scary thought

No comparison i know all about the 2005 Giro ...............
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    Since when is French cycling a charity that needs gifting stage wins on Bastille day?
    One could argue that any win from a group of riders who are no threat on the GC and have been allowed to build up a big lead has been 'gifted', only this time Armstrong's team were clearly determined that no French riders were going to be in on the party. Then again I guess that the French teams could have worked together to bring the break back, so foiling Radioshack's plan.

RS in trying to win a stage shocker !
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Will Popo pack? Seems to be a headwind. Finally we have a selection of 4.
    No Frenchy! :shock:
    B Box and Ag2r haven't quit just yet................
    Lance trying to "neutralise" the stage already! :lol:

You have a head like a pawn shop................you will take in anything.

Had a few days off to recover? :wink:

Anyhow, the peloton rode at under 33kph for yesterday's stage and we are in the transition phase.
    Today's first half has interesting parcours, before flattening out.
    Tomorrow, we could have a bit of a scrap, that may well effect the GC.

So, roll on Friday.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    dennisn wrote:

Well, doesn't Lance, and all of America for that matter, hate the French?
    :
    Well they Helped you get your Independence 200 years ago, you needed them then. :roll:
    Do you feel the same about those Frenchies a few miles across the Lake from you. ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972