TdF Stage 10 *Spoiler*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    Yeah we had thunder in South Wales earlier too. Twas more exciting than the cycling.

Did we? It can't have reached Newport, which is a shame. I love a good thunderstorm.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,228
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Yep, I love my cycling but this is why it will never be a mainstream TV sport (not that I want it to be). I'm used to it on flat stages but rely on the mountains for excitement. On the plus side I've managed to do a lot of work today. Agree on the scenery though, can't wait to go to the Alps next year for my hols :)

So how do you explain cycling is a mainstream TV sport in Belgium, France, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, etc, etc etc?

Besides, there's no need to watch the whole stage on a day like this; I don't; not everyone in England watches Stevenage vs Preston North End live, but football is still a 'mainstream TV sport'.

Those countries don't have the luxury of truly exciting televised sport like bowls, snooker or darts :wink:
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    popo marks moreau for the team gc

Well spotted - they're taking that quite seriously though so early on! Looks like we have another battle to confuse things....
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Yeah we had thunder in South Wales earlier too. Twas more exciting than the cycling.

Did we? It can't have reached Newport, which is a shame. I love a good thunderstorm.

We did in Neath. Didn't last long, but the rain was bouncing off the pavement. Sunny now!
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I wish they'd get a move on, I've a fence needs creosoting
  • afx237vi
    Look at this:

http://twitter.com/nyvelocity

And then answer me this question: has anyone ever been sick enough to write Phil and Paul slashfic? Or is the internet not prepared for such weirdness?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    They are only an hour or so behind the race schedule. I'd forgotten what these transition stages across Southern France were like.
    That descent must have made a few riders pucker.
    Moreau? double points? I know not.

Oooh Aerts is off!
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    Just spotted Hushovd in the peloton, anyway. I guess no-one managed to get dropped today.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Commentators are saying that neither have won anything for 2 years.

Paulinho has won the Nat ITT 08 and Kiriyenka won Stage 19 of Giro8

They need to get better records...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Kiri FTW thanks. Paulinho is an Astana deserter and Whack Shack mover

1hr back on race schedule is nuts
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Uh, 2008 was two years ago FF.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    The game plan becomes clear... A Radioshack rider (and most certainly not a French rider) winning the Bastille Day stage so as to 'rub Gallic noses into the pavement' in the sweetest way possible,

"Lance is on top of the world; what could possibly motivate him anymore? Well, there's rubbing the Gallic nose into the pavement again, always a trusty pleasure."

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2001-07-01/feature4.php
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245

Paulinho has won the Nat ITT 08 and Kiriyenka won Stage 19 of Giro8

Weren't those 2 years ago?
  • frenchfighter
    Oh the famous bend
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah they won nothing in the last two years, so 2009 and 2008

At least that is how I understood it, although I guess it could mean 2009 and 2010
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    The game plan becomes clear... A Radioshack rider (and most certainly not a French rider) winning the Bastille Day stage so as to 'rub Gallic noses into the pavement' in the sweetest way possible,

"Lance is on top of the world; what could possibly motivate him anymore? Well, there's rubbing the Gallic nose into the pavement again, always a trusty pleasure."

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2001-07-01/feature4.php

Since when is French cycling a charity that needs gifting stage wins on Bastille day?

No word on CdE or Quick Step or Omega Pharma that are also contesting for the win today?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Given Kiriyenka looks to have sacrificed a Vuelta stage win for a Caisse contract, will he be tempted by a move to Radio Shack?
  • Pross
    Nice to see my PTP pick (Roche) going for it. Any chance he'll take back 13 minutes in the final few kms? :lol:

No thunder for me either - my colleague must be right about Neath having its own micro climate :shock:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Roche trying to grab a few seconds. Interesting.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • afx237vi
    That was close. I thought Kirienka had just nicked it.
  • frenchfighter
    That sucks, Kiri was half a second too late to move - maybe changing gears

Phil:

It is a 3 man sprint for 2nd.............
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Good finish in the end although could have cut out the middle man and just gone to the nearest velodrome! Thought Paulinho had gone too early at first.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Closer than I thought it would be.
    The Shack slightly salvage their Tour and therefore, their sesason.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    edited September 2015
    del
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Hmm, in between Bruyneel's mob and the "Valverde's ban in an injustice" lot, it's hard to be excited about the winner for me.
  • afx237vi
    Last Portuguese stage winner? Acácio da Silva in 1989. Is that right? It seems like an awfully long time.
  • timoid.
    Are the sprinters still up there? Plenty of green points to be had on the line.

Will Cavendish bother without a stage win to aim at?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    afx237vi wrote:
    Since when is French cycling a charity that needs gifting stage wins on Bastille day?
    One could argue that any win from a group of riders who are no threat on the GC and have been allowed to build up a big lead has been 'gifted', only this time Armstrong's team were clearly determined that no French riders were going to be in on the party. Then again I guess that the French teams could have worked together to bring the break back, so foiling Radioshack's plan.
  • timoid.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Last Portuguese stage winner? Acácio da Silva in 1989. Is that right? It seems like an awfully long time.

Only if you discount Azevedo's wins in the TTTs of 2004 and 2005.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    afx237vi wrote:
    Yes, that's right. It is a long time.