TdF Stage 10 *Spoiler*

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    afx237vi wrote:
    Since when is French cycling a charity that needs gifting stage wins on Bastille day?
    One could argue that any win from a group of riders who are no threat on the GC and have been allowed to build up a big lead has been 'gifted', only this time Armstrong's team were clearly determined that no French riders were going to be in on the party. Then again I guess that the French teams could have worked together to bring the break back, so foiling Radioshack's plan.

Crikey. How's the tin hat fitting?

I've also heard the man on the grassy knoll got away on a trek.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited July 2010
    They are still riding..................................................................................................................
    Will it never end?
    Average race speed for the winners. 34.5kph. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Kléber wrote:
    Hmm, in between Bruyneel's mob and the "Valverde's ban in an injustice" lot, it's hard to be excited about the winner for me.

I was thinking that as they came into the finish, one of those rare occasions where you don't care who wins (and would prefer neither of them too).
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Decent move by Roche. He moves over Wiggins in the GC
    Contador is the Greatest
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    afx237vi wrote:
    Since when is French cycling a charity that needs gifting stage wins on Bastille day?
    One could argue that any win from a group of riders who are no threat on the GC and have been allowed to build up a big lead has been 'gifted', only this time Armstrong's team were clearly determined that no French riders were going to be in on the party. Then again I guess that the French teams could have worked together to bring the break back, so foiling Radioshack's plan.

One could, but one would sound like a one eyed paranoid tool
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

This was discussed earlier in the thread. Paulinho was already in a four man break and they were stretching out an advantage. It was in Radio Shack's interest to prevent anyone getting across.

And it's not as if Radio Shack was the only team killing breakaway attempts at the start of today's stage. It was a full hour of riders attacking and then being brought back. Every team was involved, but just because somebody saw Armstrong exchanging words with a French rider it becomes a grand conspiracy.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    And Sastre and Rogers maybe
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Didn't think Cav would contest that sprint at the end, he didn't contest the one right at the beginning of the stage.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    afx237vi wrote:
    popo marks moreau for the team gc

I thought that was done on time?

it is
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Never thought I'd see the day where a Cavendish pick on PTP in a mountain stage would get points! :shock: Nice to see him put the psychological edge over Thor and Petacchi especially as he had to take the long way around Petacchi's lead out man - looks like his confidence has returned but hopefully the lean patch will have benefitted him. I can't remember a mountain stage where there was a bunch sprint for the minor placings before :?
  • Pross
    Neil McC wrote:
    Didn't think Cav would contest that sprint at the end, he didn't contest the one right at the beginning of the stage.

I suspect he was anticipating a hard day so saved his energy for tomorrow, I doubt he expected to be there at the end.
  • mididoctors
    Pross wrote:
    Never thought I'd see the day where a Cavendish pick on PTP in a mountain stage would get points! :shock: Nice to see him put the psychological edge over Thor and Petacchi especially as he had to take the long way around Petacchi's lead out man - looks like his confidence has returned but hopefully the lean patch will have benefitted him. I can't remember a mountain stage where there was a bunch sprint for the minor placings before :?

last year they had a bunch sprint for the major placings over the tourmalet
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    great to see the Shack beat the Frenchies on Bastille Day.Poor old Paulhino though..he'll be accused of doping cause in the shack under JB and LA.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Dave_1 wrote:
    great to see the Shack beat the Frenchies on Bastille Day.Poor old Paulhino though..he'll be accused of doping cause in the shack under JB and LA.
    I just know you're trying to get a rise there from BB :wink:

But the French rarely win on Bastille day, in the past 60 editions apparently they've only taken 14 Bastille day stage wins.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Given the teams he's ridden for in his career I don't have any pity for him. It's like an A-Z of dodgy teams.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

I really can't remember that, do I need to worry about alzeihmers or was it just that forgettable?
  • mididoctors
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I really can't remember that, do I need to worry about alzeihmers or was it just that forgettable?

PROFIL.gif

long way from the finish

velits IIRC
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Interesting that Roche picked up a not to be sniffed at 1'23 at the finish and Armstrong finished 1'28 down on the sprinters.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    No one's said that 34.5 km/h proves that cycling is now clean.
    Maybe cycling's just lazy.
    Or it's really hot in France.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Dave_1 wrote:

Is there some kind of Shack vs the French thing I'm not aware of?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Is there some kind of Shack vs the French thing I'm not aware of?

Well, doesn't Lance, and all of America for that matter, hate the French?
    Therefore the Shack does too??? Seems I've read that somewhere before on this forum??? :? :? :wink::wink:
  • iainf72
    Remember when everyone was leaving Astana and going to the Shack, and Lance said "maybe Bert needs to take a look at himself" etc. Well, post todays stage Paulinho said he remains good friends with Bert and the reason he left is he got a good contract offer

I hope it doesn't hurt too much when he gets whacked with a newspaper tonight
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    iainf72 wrote:

How heavy IS the Wall Street Journal?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:

I WOULD ask the question "What ever happened to The Wall Street Journal?" but I know that answer. I don't follow Murdoch much. What are the papers he owns like? Real News? Scandal sheets? Sensationalism? Just curious.
  • iainf72
    I believe the WSJ is considered the most credible newspaper in the US (it has the largest distribution) by many. But if you want to add newspapers you can't take seriously to your list (because they printed Armstrong stories), add the New York Times in there.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I WOULD ask the question "What ever happened to The Wall Street Journal?" but I know that answer. I don't follow Murdoch much. What are the papers he owns like? Real News? Scandal sheets? Sensationalism? Just curious.

All of the above.
  • Pross
    +1 a mixture of some good serious papers (Times) and others like The Sun! The worst offender in his empire in my opinion is Fox News, I couldn't believe how politically biased a news channel could be prior to a recent trip to the US!
  • iainf72
    Pross wrote:
    +1 a mixture of some good serious papers (Times) and others like The Sun! The worst offender in his empire in my opinion is Fox News, I couldn't believe how politically biased a news channel could be prior to a recent trip to the US!

Innit. And why do they have to be so SHOUTY? The most odd experience I've had in the US was watching TV at 3 in the morning (jet lag on west coast) and flicking onto Vs. I've never seen a TV program about hunting before....
  • Pross
    Timoid. wrote:
    Interesting that Roche picked up a not to be sniffed at 1'23 at the finish and Armstrong finished 1'28 down on the sprinters.

A cheap shot according to another ridiculous thread on here! :roll: I guess Armstrong wasn't risking another crash on that final descent.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

A cheap shot according to another ridiculous thread on here! :roll: I guess Armstrong wasn't risking another crash on that final descent.

My theory is that if Armstrong loses enough time, the peloton will let him go off in a breakaway for a final swansong.
    Twitter: @RichN95