Silly Commuter Hill Climbs

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Apparently it gets steeper as it goes up, so probably best to hold a little bit back at the bottom. Also, watch out for cars entering and exiting the National Trust car park near the top.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • NormalD
    NormalD Posts: 145
    Yes, I know the car park from my younger days. :wink:
    Normal Disk 2009

Genesis Equilibrium Tiagra 2011

FCN 10 (only cycle in once a week though)

Alfa 156 SW
  • rjsterry
    Right I've got the weekend to myself, so I've decided to find something steep to ride up. Not sure what though. I'm planning to head south from Carshalton, so North Downs, but can't decide whether I head over to Leith Hill and White Down, or east to have a crack at Titsey or something else. Any suggestions?

BTW, how did you get on with Streatley Hill, NormalD?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    rjsterry wrote:
    Right I've got the weekend to myself, so I've decided to find something steep to ride up. Not sure what though. I'm planning to head south from Carshalton, so North Downs, but can't decide whether I head over to Leith Hill and White Down, or east to have a crack at Titsey or something else. Any suggestions?

BTW, how did you get on with Streatley Hill, NormalD?

Head east! You can have a crack at Toys and Ide Hill then and can then take in Westerham or Titsey on the way home :-) I would volunteer to join you but may have to exchange a rather large volume of brownie points first......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    East it is then. Yep, probably best not to dash off with a newborn around. Hadn't heard from you for a while so assumed you were busy with the latest mini-BJUK. Hope that's all going OK.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Checked the map and Ide Hill is 20 miles away, so I limited myself to just another crack at Succomb's and then Titsey Hill - down the main road, then back up White Lane (the properhill climb course).

Succomb's was particularly busy with someone right on my tail up the steepest bit on that left hand bend. Thankfully, he didn't try and push past, but still a bit of a battle to keep my breathing under control towards the top. Also made a hash of timing it, so no idea if I did better or worse than last time.

A nice run along the crest of the Downs, then the plunge down Titsey. Glad my frame is pretty robust as the road surface was pretty chewed up. After a very bumpy descent, hoping I didn't lose the chain, I turned round after the M-way bridge, and headed back up, stopping at the White Lane turning to catch my breath and set the stopwatch. Setting off up White Lane, it was pretty manageable to start with - I even managed to squeeze past a car coming down without stopping, but then it ramped up to the climb proper, and another car coming down meant I had to stop momentarily at a passing place. As I reached the top, the stopwatch read 4'13", but allowing for the stop and the slow-down for the two cars I think I might have done it in 4'03". Simon Warren's book says 3 minutes, so some work to do, but I'm fairly happy with that for a first attempt.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Bassjunkieuk
    @rjsterry - The decent down Titsey is a right pig, I did it once and the bike was vibrating so badly I ended up stopping at the bottom of Whites Lane and heading back up via it! I prefer the decent down Croydon Road which brings you out on the A25 and then back-track to the bottom of Titsey Hill, does add a fair bit of distance tho but is a good fun run down.

Well done with the Succombs hill attempt again!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    @rjsterry - The decent down Titsey is a right pig, I did it once and the bike was vibrating so badly I ended up stopping at the bottom of Whites Lane and heading back up via it! I prefer the decent down Croydon Road which brings you out on the A25 and then back-track to the bottom of Titsey Hill, does add a fair bit of distance tho but is a good fun run down.

Well done with the Succombs hill attempt again!

Thanks BJUK. Yeah, it is a bit of a pig although it smooths out a bit after the White Lane turning (a little bit). It's not quite as bad as Coldharbour Lane (the way down off Leith Hill towards Dorking, which has a few potholes thrown in as well) but plenty rough enough. I'll try the Croydon Road option next time.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    ketsbaia wrote:
    I think I know and have doen the one leading towards Shortlands - does it come down from Bromley?

I'm thinking it's the one marked up Beckenham Lane on here

That's the one. I'm thinking of doing an extended journey home tomorrow night to take in both climbs uphill. Will report back once I get round to it.
    Ketsbaia, out of intertest how did you find these when you did them? I live pretty close to Beckenham Lane and its quite short and sharp for me :) there are also another couple of variants on it, up Glassmill Lane and Bromley Avenue. Or if you fancy a longer climb with less gradient, just head up the A21 from Downham to Bromley.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:
    I think I know and have doen the one leading towards Shortlands - does it come down from Bromley?

I'm thinking it's the one marked up Beckenham Lane on here

That's the one. I'm thinking of doing an extended journey home tomorrow night to take in both climbs uphill. Will report back once I get round to it.
    Ketsbaia, out of intertest how did you find these when you did them? I live pretty close to Beckenham Lane and its quite short and sharp for me :) there are also another couple of variants on it, up Glassmill Lane and Bromley Avenue. Or if you fancy a longer climb with less gradient, just head up the A21 from Downham to Bromley.

Criminally, I've done neither since I posted that, Stevo. Something to do with an old mate coming to stay bearing gifts of beer.

I do plan a crack at them soon, though. And will have a look at Glassmill Lane and Bromley Avenue while I'm at it.

Don't fancy the A21 much. The little I've done on it hasn't filled me with pleasure, tbh. Much prefer the long drag up Cudham Lane North from the roundabout on the A21.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    Tut tut :)

Those two options I mentione are worth a pop for the steepness but like Beckenham Lane, it's all over a bit too soon. Another variant on Summer Hill in chiselhurst is Old Hill (only done in the car).

I've done the Cudham Lane drag once, pretty good. Seem to remember there is a really steep road going down to the right off that road just before you get to the Blacksmiths Arms. Can't remember what its called off the top of my head but worth a look if you're over that way.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Tut tut :)

Those two options I mentione are worth a pop for the steepness but like Beckenham Lane, it's all over a bit too soon. Another variant on Summer Hill in chiselhurst is Old Hill (only done in the car).

I've done the Cudham Lane drag once, pretty good. Seem to remember there is a really steep road going down to the right off that road just before you get to the Blacksmiths Arms. Can't remember what its called off the top of my head but worth a look if you're over that way.

It's called Cudham Church Lane, I think. I've been down it once. I remember thinking I wouldn't fancy going back up it. It's only about 100 yards, but it must veer up to 25%+.

I do like that area, though. Did pretty much all my Marmotte training there. If the roads were in a marginally better state, it'd be brilliant.
  • rjsterry
    Fark! I've just read that the course record for White Lane is around 1'50"!

:shock:

How?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Bassjunkieuk
    rjsterry wrote:
    Fark! I've just read that the course record for White Lane is around 1'50"!

How?

:shock: :shock: OUCH! I guess to be fair that was most likely set by someone who hasn't just ridden 15-20 miles, on a super light bike and puts our very own JG to shame getting up hills....the record holder isn't a A.Contador or A.Schleck is it ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    Truly a journey to the dark side of cycling (and I ain't talking about no capes) Hurty Hurty Hurty.

No, but Mr Wiggins has/is going to have a pop I think.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• dai_boy
    dai_boy Posts: 1
    How funny, I was riding up and down Titsey Hill yesterday wondering what was up White Lane. What are the official start/end points of the White Lane climb?

Also, does anyone know if there is any mtb'ing to be had in the woods on the south facing hill (from the top carpark next to the roundabout)? Or anywhere else that is local??

Thanks
  • rjsterry
    <slaps forehead> Forgot to post this here last week.

A meeting in Wick (village between Bristol and Bath for those unfamiliar)meant that I got the train to Bath, then cycled over Lansdowne Hill (main route up past the Park and Ride, not the climb from Weston in the book). Went for a slow and steady approach as I had a heavy bag with me, and hadn't ridden it for years, but it was very enjoyable despite the drizzly weather. Nice to get my teeth into a decent climb (about 190 metres in about 1.6 miles from the Bath side). Got diverted by a temp road closure on the other side so came down into Wick via Tog Hill, which had me grinning like an idiot. On the way back, I took the winding approach to Lansdowne, which is very pretty, but can get a bit busy, which is a bit hairy going round the sharp right-hander with turning on the left near the top. The descent into Bath was a case of making sure the bike didn't run away with me, so took several days-worth off the brake pads. Will have to see how any more meetings I can arrange there.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• JonGinge wrote:
    Recce:
    Alpe d'Huez: 1hr

Marmotte (approx timings):
    Glandon: 1hr20
    Telegraphe: 53mins
    Galibier: 1hr13mins
    Alpe d'Huez: 1hr24mins

On its own - Alpe d'Huez: 1:20:19

Agony! :cry:

For those that did the Marmotte, and do it out of choice, chapeau! :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Do French alp cols count as hills?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

If they used Tower Hill in the ToB for KOM points I *think* the French Alps would qualify......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    itboffin wrote:

Mais oui. We had the Marmotteers on here a while back. The pics look good so far.

In other news. Having just swapped from 11-28T to 13-23T (7sp) - great for the flatness of central London, no more massive jumps between gears - I'm wondering whether Succomb's is still manageable or will result in toppling over or f***ed knees, or both.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    In other news. Having just swapped from 11-28T to 13-23T (7sp) - great for the flatness of central London, no more massive jumps between gears - I'm wondering whether Succomb's is still manageable or will result in toppling over or f***ed knees, or both.

Depends on what you have upfront really I guess. I'm certain the 11 would be useful, just not for heading up it ;-) I'd imagine you'd need/want a compact or triple up front to pair with the 23 but at the end of the day it is a shortish climb and I'd love to have another crack at it without resorting to the granny ring (i.e 42*25 or 23)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Is it me or is London bridge getting steeper? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Depends on what you have upfront really I guess. I'm certain the 11 would be useful, just not for heading up it ;-) I'd imagine you'd need/want a compact or triple up front to pair with the 23 but at the end of the day it is a shortish climb and I'd love to have another crack at it without resorting to the granny ring (i.e 42*25 or 23)

42T up front (old school double), so 42 x 23 or a 48" gear. By comparison, 42 x 28 is 39.4" - a lot closer than I originally thought. I do miss the 11T already, as I was riding 52 x 13 for a lot of the Embankment this morning. That's 105.1" against a mahoosive 124.2" warp drive. What a difference two teeth make.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD wrote:

London Bridge? It's been a while since I've been over that way but I don't remember is having a distinct crest (in the same way that VB or WB does......)

Now if you'd said Tower Bridge I'd have suggested to stop riding over it when the red light is showing and the barrier is down ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Nah, probably your marathon commutes are taking its toll on you.

I didn't even bother contesting the London Bridge sprint today. Took it easy when the lights changed and gave a chap on a hybrid fixie his moment of glory.
  • I always use this before any gearing decisions:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

i spent ages piddling around with different setups before I decided I could cope with a compact (50-39 + 11-28) rather than a triple in the alps.
  • rjsterry
    Just spotted that Germain Burton has just won this year's Bec CC Hill Climb up White Lane, with a time of 1:45.3.

He's 15 years old.

Chapeau, young sir!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    That's brilliant. He was mighty impressive on the swains lane hill climb a couple of months back...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Bassjunkieuk
    rjsterry wrote:
    Just spotted that Germain Burton has just won this year's Bec CC Hill Climb up White Lane, with a time of 1:45.3.

He's 15 years old.

Chapeau, young sir!

1. Youthful energy
    2. Lack of weight, I suspect he probably weighs as much as my bike!

Excellent ride tho!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5