Silly Commuter Hill Climbs

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    In South London there is only one climb to be done. And thats Succombs hill, all be it very short (around 0.25miles) in sections it is 25% steep. Even in most cars you have to drop it down into first to get up it.
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=13565126
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Mmmm, looks interesting, and definitely do-able on a relatively short loop out from Carshalton.

Oh, and also:

Cafewanda
    Ditchling Beacon
    2.5km long
    170m climb
    "about 30 minutes":wink:

Not a bad time for an ascent on foot.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    gaz545 wrote:
    In South London there is only one climb to be done. And thats Succombs hill, all be it very short (around 0.25miles) in sections it is 25% steep. Even in most cars you have to drop it down into first to get up it.

Done that one :-) I had to pull in at one of the side roads as I couldn't get it into the bottom gear initially so slogged up in 42x25 as long as I could but had to pull over for fear of my kneecaps popping off :-) Once in the 30x25 it was fine.....need to go back up there at some point and try again - maybe one night after work this week and preferably before the 30th so I can log the extra miles on the TFL Challenge :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    I picked up this book last week. Great little read.
    I've done 5 of the SE ones:

Streatlley hill, Coombe Gibbit near Hungerford, Box hill, Ditchling and Leith hill.

Don't think any of them rated higher than 6 for difficulty according to the book.

On that basis I'm never riding my bike north of Oxford. :oops:
    Always in stealth mode
  • rjsterry
    gaz545 wrote:

Done that one :-) I had to pull in at one of the side roads as I couldn't get it into the bottom gear initially so slogged up in 42x25 as long as I could but had to pull over for fear of my kneecaps popping off :-) Once in the 30x25 it was fine.....need to go back up there at some point and try again - maybe one night after work this week and preferably before the 30th so I can log the extra miles on the TFL Challenge :-D

Hmmm, lowest I can do is 42x28, so keep an eye out for some discarded kneecaps next time you're over there. Oh, and triples are for MTBs and tourers :P
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Bassjunkieuk
    rjsterry wrote:
    Oh, and triples are for MTBs and tourers :P

Yes, thank you for pointing that out :-) When I got the Giant a few years ago I was hoping to be able to tackle the Cols in Crystal Palace and only had the experience of my 10 speed Raleigh bike and I have no idea what the gearing was on that......
    I'm now quite confident that I'd get by quite well on a compact double with a standard 12-25 as the bottom gear isn't a huge difference to the current one :-) I've also become a much better climber since I started out so can push some bigger gears on the hills.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    I'm slightly embarrassed by my 11-28 cassette, but with a 42T small ring, I need it for the steep stuff. Not much in London, but when you head south, it gets lumpy.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    And there was me thinking I was BillyBigspuds doing Highgate,Highgate West and Muswell Hill yesterday :oops:
  • EArmstrong
    EArmstrong Posts: 25
    I'm doing Holme Moss tonight (5/10 in the book), so I'm reserving this post for that,
    will edit with details when I'm done.
  • rjsterry
    dugliss wrote:
    And there was me thinking I was BillyBigspuds doing Highgate,Highgate West and Muswell Hill yesterday :oops:

Don't think there's any need for :oops: , those three in succession might not be Alpe D'Huez, but they're a decent work out.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I did the 5 reps of the Zig Zag route (2.5km long, 133m ascent) up box hill on Saturday. Twas bloody hot and the road surface is pretty crappy, need to watch the speed on the descents.
  • rjsterry
    amnezia wrote:
    I did the 5 reps of the Zig Zag route (2.5km long, 133m ascent) up box hill on Saturday. Twas bloody hot and the road surface is pretty crappy, need to watch the speed on the descents.

Not even much shade on Box Hill. Chapeau for doing 5 reps in that heat.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    EArmstrong wrote:
    Right!

My First record of using one of the listed climbs in a commute.

Jackson Bridge, Yorkshire

Roughly 1 Mile Climb
    Starting at Junction Lat/Long: 53 33 47.70 1 44 58.50
    Ending at Junction Lat/Long: 53 33 40.23 1 44 05.41

Took me 8 minutes 42 seconds.

Total (Roughly) Delta Height: 166 Meters

Is that the climb up Tinker's Hill, or the main road up to the Victoria pub?
    The Tinker's Hill climb is the local club (Huddersfield Starwheelers) National Hill Climb venue. It's a killer. We'll be hosting one of the principal events in the National series there in October. Feel free to join a local club (preferably ours) and get your name down! Riding that, you'll understand how 30 years ago Starwheelers dominated the National Hill Climb scene.

The Victoria route is a favourite of mine. It's pretty quiet (nice rural A road) with stunning views (atlthough I'm usually concentrating on the front wheel) and a varying steepness. As you get to the top then you can either follow the summit road over to the right (above Hade Edge) which is flatteringly rolling and offers no traffic and views to die for, or left and over the "windmills" (no traffic views to almost die for, the odd pthole to die in...).

When it comes to commutes though, this is mine - 1500m of climbing on the round trip and a split of rural / urban / suburban (the below is the return leg)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37591016
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    You work near Heaton Park, yeah? Wow, that's some commute.

I used to cycle a lot round that neck of the woods when I lived in Chadderton. Many a time I've ridden up to the tops on an old 5-gear 'racer' and, before that, a Raleigh Grifter!

That's quite a direct route you take from Sholver onwards. Ever thought of cutting a right at Sholver and going down Bull Cote Lane? You can follow the road straight down, through the centre of Royton and down to Chadderton and Chadderton Hall Road/Middleton Road, which I reckon would be more pleasant than going through Watersheddings/Derker/Oldham centre.

E2a: The return journey would be more testing as well, with a tricky ascent of Bull Cote Lane to contend with.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    gaz545 wrote:

Bravo...
    It gets tricky when it gets to the bend.
    I tried once, and failed. :lol:
  • Mossrider
    Thanks for the suggestion ketsbaia; i am familiar with Buckstones Road further up and had thought of that. The traffic isn't too bad down Riponden road at present (the potholes though are another matter) and going through Oldham isn't an issue thanks to the bypass. Also I find I'm travelling at much the same speed as the trafiic as its all down hill. Might consider it on the return trip though to avoid the uphill crawl through traffic, although it's already a challenging route (Castle hill at the end is a recent variation and is a true lung-buster).

Unfortunately tomorrow will be the last commute as after 16 years the company thinks it will manage without me - still, since I'm cycling that won't rule out a couple of lunchtime beers!
  • rjsterry
    gaz545 wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:

Bravo...

Sounds like we need some Succombs Hill times to me. Anyone going to put down a marker?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Mossrider wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion ketsbaia; i am familiar with Buckstones Road further up and had thought of that. The traffic isn't too bad down Riponden road at present (the potholes though are another matter) and going through Oldham isn't an issue thanks to the bypass. Also I find I'm travelling at much the same speed as the trafiic as its all down hill. Might consider it on the return trip though to avoid the uphill crawl through traffic, although it's already a challenging route (Castle hill at the end is a recent variation and is a true lung-buster).

Unfortunately tomorrow will be the last commute as after 16 years the company thinks it will manage without me - still, since I'm cycling that won't rule out a couple of lunchtime beers!

Ah, mate. That's a shame. Lunchtime beers might take the edge off the climb back, so long as you steer clear of the JW Lees!
  • EArmstrong
    EArmstrong Posts: 25
    Mossrider wrote:
    Is that the climb up Tinker's Hill, or the main road up to the Victoria pub? That is Tinker's, but not from where the bike clubs do it (that's outside a farm, i go from the junction just below)
    The Tinker's Hill climb is the local club (Huddersfield Starwheelers) National Hill Climb venue. It's a killer (Killer? Its no Ewden Beck!). We'll be hosting one of the principal events in the National series there in October. Feel free to join a local club (preferably ours) and get your name down! Riding that, you'll understand how 30 years ago Starwheelers dominated the National Hill Climb scene.

The Victoria route is a favourite of mine... Yeah, well aware of where everything goes up Victoria, I live at the bottom of it.

When it comes to commutes though, this is mine - 1500m of climbing on the round trip and a split of rural / urban / suburban (the below is the return leg) When it comes to commutes I unfortunatley only work in huddersfield

Not much point in me joining any cycling clubs, I'm away to Uni in September.
    (Edit:What a pretentious tit (me))
  • Mossrider
    EArmstrong wrote:
    Mossrider wrote:

The Tinker's Hill climb is the local club (Huddersfield Starwheelers) National Hill Climb venue. It's a killer (Killer? Its no Ewden Beck!).

Not much point in me joining any cycling clubs, I'm away to Uni in September.
    (Edit:What a pretentious tit (me))

Trust me - try racing up there against the best in the country; it's a killer! The real issue is the very slight downhill near the top just before the last climb. Completely throws your rhythm (if you're competing) leaving you with absolutely nothing when you get to the top. I've done Ewden Beck dozens of times, it doesn't come close under these conditions!

As for joining a club, don't worry about Uni, just turn up and see how you get on (the first couple of rides are for free). After all you'll be back in the hols. We have a couple of members who are in similar situations. I'll PM you
  • Bassjunkieuk
    gaz545 wrote:
    Bravo...

Yeah the bend was where I thought my car might give up when I first rec'd it :-) I thought it was steep to start and then came round that corner and was rather shocked to be greeted by a wall of road :-D

I shall have to see if I can get a time for it tho.....timing should be failry easy as you can start at the gradient sign at the bottom and then I'll have to wait until I get up it to pick a finish point :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    gaz545 wrote:
    Bravo...

Yeah the bend was where I thought my car might give up when I first rec'd it :-) I thought it was steep to start and then came round that corner and was rather shocked to be greeted by a wall of road :-D

I shall have to see if I can get a time for it tho.....timing should be failry easy as you can start at the gradient sign at the bottom and then I'll have to wait until I get up it to pick a finish point :-)

I'm planning to head over there early this Saturday for an attempt, and if it goes well, I may have a crack at Titsey Hill as well. :shock:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Bassjunkieuk
    rjsterry wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:
    Bravo...

I'm planning to head over there early this Saturday for an attempt, and if it goes well, I may have a crack at Titsey Hill as well. :shock:

That sounds like fun :-) Not sure if I'd be able to duck out Saturday morning tho......if your having a crack at Titsey DON'T go down it would be my advice. I tried that once and the road surface doesn't lend itself to fast descending, felt like I was riding a washing machine on the spin cycle! I ended up riding up Whites Lane (another from the book!) as I didn't fancy going down the rest of it with the frame judder!! The descent down Croydon Road to bring you out towards Westerham on the A25 is much nicer, then just head west and join Titsey Hill from there.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Did Exedown Hill in Kent twice today, in preparation for the upcoming Bikeradar sportive. It's a good challenge, from memory similar to Ditchling Beacon, maybe shorter but steeper? If I can get the times from Emdomondo I'll post them up, although I'll say now they're probably not spectacular :D
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Had a good go at Dog Kennel Hill this morning, to be honest its too short to time but I managed to ride Pantani-esque, on the drops and out of the saddle, all the way up - in the big ring too (even if it is only a 50...)

Enough to put a smile on my face on the way to work! :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:
    Bravo...

That sounds like fun :-) Not sure if I'd be able to duck out Saturday morning tho......if your having a crack at Titsey DON'T go down it would be my advice. I tried that once and the road surface doesn't lend itself to fast descending, felt like I was riding a washing machine on the spin cycle! I ended up riding up Whites Lane (another from the book!) as I didn't fancy going down the rest of it with the frame judder!! The descent down Croydon Road to bring you out towards Westerham on the A25 is much nicer, then just head west and join Titsey Hill from there.

Sounds like the descent from Leith Hill to Dorking: you don't so much ride down as bounce and hang on tight. Braking is quite interesting when your wheels are only in contact with the road 50% of the time. Thanks for the route tip. Look out for bits of my shredded knee caps if you have a go yourself.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• I came down Titsey on Saturday morning. OK, it isn't super-smooth but it's nowhere near as bad as Coldharbour lane. Wasn't going super fast (only 41mph) cos I wanted to make the left turn by the church, but it doesn't seem that bad.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im going to do some hill repeats on muswell hill after work tonight. im thinking an hour of it.

im going to die aren't i?
  • rjsterry
    spasypaddy wrote:
    im going to do some hill repeats on muswell hill after work tonight. im thinking an hour of it.

im going to die aren't i?

It is a bit warm for it, 'tis true. You need some maniac cycling fans to fling water over you as you reach the ... err ... summit.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive got a bottle of SIS with me. its going to hurt :( ive never seen anyone struggle with hills like i do
    :lol:

im thinking of tears