Silly Commuter Hill Climbs

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    @MH - You must be very near me as I've done most of them :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    BJUK, your first link was kind of what I had in mind, but with a 'post your time/comments' section(s) for each climb on top. Mind you, that's kind of how SC Stats works: separate website for the figures, and the ongoing thread for the stories that go with it. I'm afraid I don't have the IT skills to even start a website like this - I'm just an ideas man.

@CJCP: Putney Bridge? You jest, surely? I'll give you Nightingale Lane and Broomfield though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Try London N10, between Park Road and Muswell Hill Road.

Cycle up Cranley Gardens, then up Woodland Gardens to Muswell Hill Road. I've seen cars abandoned there for 3 days in adverse weather conditions.

Or Cranley Gardens itself.

Or St. James's Lane (off Muswell Hill up to Muswell Hill Broadway).
    My other bike's a Dawes.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    prawny wrote:
    Anything in the cannock area?

I can think of a couple onto the chase.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    Is that the Killer Climbs publication which puts Bealach na Ba 10th in the UK? And Great Dun Fell not even on the list? And Lowther Hill a 5/10 because there's a false flat after you've climbed 800ft, and because they didn't realise it has a km at the top at about 12% in a howling gale?

In that case, its total nonsense and mere comfort reading for Londoners.

I've been up many of the South Downs climbs, and no they are not easy.

But come on - if you've already climbed 400m and THEN hit a steep bit, its a hell of a lot worse than coming to a "wall" fresh. Might be different if you put cobbles on it and hosed it down and put some horse manure on it, like they do in Belgium.

By any measure, the pain experienced getting up one of the long upland climbs (Lakes, Pennines, presumably Wales, Scotland... there are also some near 1000ft, 20% brutes on Dartmoor, which are very hard indeed) far outweighs a little burst up a 500ft SE England climb of any gradient.
    :roll:

Doesn't sound like the same book, as Bealach na Ba was rated 11/10 - the toughest in the book. The chap who wrote the book has ridden al the climbs, so he would be able to compare the relative merits of 'proper' upland climbs versus the shorter, but often steeper climbs of the Downs.

Anyway, you seem to have slightly missed the point of my thread: I thought it might be fun to share stories of local climbs, particularly if they form part of a commute (or more likely are not far off a regular route), that others might fancy trying. We can start with the climbs listed in the book and expand on that as people suggest routes.

We all seem to like a bit of competition, so keeping a record of times, distances, gradients and so on just adds a bit of fun. The intention wasn't to try and prove that one lot of hills are better/harder than another.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    http://www.climbbybike.com/climbs_selection.asp

Here's a link you may be interested in
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rjsterry wrote:
    @CJCP: Putney Bridge? You jest, surely? I'll give you Nightingale Lane and Broomfield though.

It's brutal, I tell ya, brutal. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    http://www.climbbybike.com/climbs_selection.asp

Here's a link you may be interested in

<Slaps forehead> Knew I'd seen something like it before. Found this when a friend was heading to the Lake Como, and fancied hiring a bike there.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    prawny wrote:
    Anything in the cannock area?

I can think of a couple onto the chase.....

Me too, but i doubt they'd get a mention. Ones even got a cemetary half way up just in case :P
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've been up many of the South Downs climbs, and no they are not easy.

But come on - if you've already climbed 400m and THEN hit a steep bit, its a hell of a lot worse than coming to a "wall" fresh. Might be different if you put cobbles on it and hosed it down and put some horse manure on it, like they do in Belgium.

Hmmmm, I've only been up Ditchling down there and it isn't hard compared to an awful lot of climbs in the North. As you say, the previous part of the ride counts for a lot and the approach to Ditchling is fairly flat - plus it simply isn't very long. Cobb Lane (irrc name) is quite fruity though!

Truth is I suspect there are lots of little climbs about around these parts that are tougher than Ditchling but nobody's actually heard of them! A particular classic in Halifax that does have the aforementioned cobbles......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    To be fair Ditchling only merits a 4/10 in the book, I think. The North Downs are generally more highly rated than the South Downs. I'll post the complete list tonight if I can, then we can bicker about it some more :wink:

Don't disagree with Rolf or AT on the point regarding run up to the hill. It's quite possible to do a route along the North Downs where you are pretty much always climbing or descending.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    rjsterry wrote:
    Don't disagree with Rolf or AT on the point regarding run up to the hill. It's quite possible to do a route along the North Downs where you are pretty much always climbing or descending.

Uh huh. Which is what I'm intending to do on Saturday. I wonder how Westerham Hill will feel after 10 times up and down Toys Hill...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    ketsbaia wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Uh huh. Which is what I'm intending to do on Saturday. I wonder how Westerham Hill will feel after 10 times up and down Toys Hill...

<cough> Marmotte training, by any chance? <cough> :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Just managed to find that book in the Waterstones by Traf. Sq. I was scanning the shelves trying to find it only to be meet with it taking pride of place on a shelf edge plastic thingy with a reader review on it :-)

Had a quick flip through which really meant I looked at the first few pages before fumbling towards the back and seeing what they rated in Wales :-) I then took a cursory look over the Wynrose and Hardknott bits before returning to the South East section :-)

I'm happy to say I've ridden a few of them so have a rough idea how the grading would go, although I was a little worried that Whites Lane (the more *direct* route up Titsey Hill...) was only rated a 4 or 5/10! Having said that I did last attempt it a good few months back and I'm damn sure my legs are stronger now! It wasn't a long climb but it had a nasty kick in the tail - just as the book describes.

I also found myself getting a weird feeling as I looked at the pictures of the climbs. I could see from the pictures just how arduous they looked but I could also picture myself slogging up one just to say "I did it!" Besides the best bit about climbs is they are usually rewarded with great views and awesome descents :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • ketsbaia
    cjcp wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

<cough> Potentially. <cough> :D
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    This is a great idea. Happy to set some baseline times for Greenwich Park (easy) and Shooters Hill (bit more challenging). How do we mark the start and end points?
  • rolf_f
    ketsbaia wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

<cough> Potentially. <cough> :D

Less training, more lemsip for you two!
  • rolf_f
    Canny Jock wrote:
    This is a great idea. Happy to set some baseline times for Greenwich Park (easy) and Shooters Hill (bit more challenging). How do we mark the start and end points?

Most convincing way is to plot the gradient profile and work it out from there. There's usually a clear starting point. Mind you, the hill outside mine I'm already half way up but the bit to finish is probably still harder than anything in Londinium.
  • rjsterry
    Any significant marker will do, but probably easiest to use a side turning that will show up on a map.

If you think London isn't very hilly, spare a thought for the whole of East Anglia, which doesn't get a single mention in the book. I guess even the lumpy bits of Suffolk and the north Norfolk coast, although not flat, aren't high enough to get any decent climbs in.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Canny Jock
    And do we need any spangly computer-type altitude doobreys to measure this? Or will a trusty stopwatch and google maps suffice?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Firstly it's a bit of fun.

Secondly these will be the tourist trap/common hills it's not the final word.

what hills do i like?

I like the Cuckoo for it's sheer brutal steepness.

beaufort rd/Llangattock mountain for the views, like wise take the old tram track up Gilwern Hill gives some views to make your heart sing.

to the north downs my fav is Whitedown it's not the steepest but it's not far off and it's a nice lane.

box hill is lovely but it's a rather boring climb.
  • rjsterry
    Canny Jock wrote:
    And do we need any spangly computer-type altitude doobreys to measure this? Or will a trusty stopwatch and google maps suffice?

Sounds fine to me. Not convinced the altitude readings on the afore-mentioned spangly doobreys are that accurate anyway. Gmaps is probably the easiest although Mapmyride (which is based around Gmaps) does some convenient readouts.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    ketsbaia wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    Any climbs listed in south London / Kent? When I get my road bike back I might take a few detours on my commute home...

Not sure if any are listed, but I know of several good climbs in the SE London/North Kent area, including those mentioned by Bassjunkieuk above, but also Yorks Hill, Star Hill and Titsey Hill.

May be going for a quick blast around them on Saturday as a last-minute sharpener before the Marmotte. You're welcome to tag along/tow me up the climbs. :D

Sundridge is also a bit of a killer (in Kent) possibly number 2 killer after Yorks. In SE London itself there are various climbs up to Crystal Palace. Also One Tree Hill is pretty steep.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Canny Jock
    Ah Sundridge - I went down it a few months ago and didn't have the guts to go back up. Must revisit it at some point, from memory it seemed fairly serious.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Canny Jock wrote:

I do 3/4 of shooters hill heading out everyday I bike to work which is a lot at the moment. I could always carry on to the top if there is some competition as my calf no longer tries to cramp now going up it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,801
    I live in Highgate so have ridden most ways up, but have never tried Swains Lane. However, I run up it, so feel in a good position to offer an opinion, so here it is: it's nothing in comparison to Ditchling Beacon which, I'm told, is nothing in comparison with hills up north which, of course, are nothing in comparison with the Alps.

So, if you want to make it worhwhile I'd probably try to take in a few of the other roads nearby at the same time such as Highgate West Hill and Dartmouth Park Hill. I think you could make a nice circuit.

Separately, I grew up near Ditchling Beacon and can confirm it is the hardest hill I know in the area ON ROAD. Off road, there are many more challenging ones - when mountain biking I'd often start with the Beacon as it was the easiest way up!
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2010
    Right, here is the 'official' list from Simon Warren's book.

South West
    Cheddar Gorge
    Weston Hill, Bath
    Crowcombe Combe
    Porlock
    Dunkery Beacon
    Exmoor Forest
    Challacombe
    Dartmeet
    Haytor Vale
    Widecombe
    Rundlestone
    Salcombe Hill
    Dover's Hill, Glos.

South East
    Box Hill
    York's Hill
    White Lane
    Leith Hill
    White Downs
    The Wall
    Toys Hill
    Steyning Bostal
    Ditchling Beacon
    Whiteleaf
    Streatley Hill
    Combe Gibbet
    Mott Street, Essex
    Swains Lane

To which we might add Shooters Hill

Midlands
    Michaelgate, Lincoln
    Terrace Hill, Leics
    Monsal Head
    Bank Road, Matlock
    Riber
    Winnats Pass
    Rowsley Bar
    Curbar Edge
    Mow Cop
    Peaslows
    Jiggers Bank
    The Burway

Yorkshire
    Shibden Wall
    Pea Royd Lane
    Jackson Bridge
    Home Moss
    Halifax Lane
    Park Rash
    Oxnop Scar
    Malham Cove
    Langcliffe Scar
    Buttertubs Pass
    Fleet Moss
    Tan Hill
    Greenhow Hill
    Norwood Edge
    Boltby Bank
    Rosedale Chimney
    White Horse Bank
    The Stang
    Carlton Bank

North East
    Crawleyside
    Peth Bank
    Winters Gibbet
    Chapel Fell

Scotland
    Mennock Pass
    Cairn O' Mount
    The Cairnwell
    The Lecht
    Cairn Gorm
    Rest and be Thankful
    Bealach Na Ba 11/10 :shock:

North West
    Cat & Fiddle
    Swiss Hill
    The Rake
    Garsdale Head
    Nick of Pendle
    Trough of Bowland
    Jubilee Tower
    Hartside
    Lamps Moss
    Cross of Greet
    Honister Pass
    Newlands Hause
    Whinlatter Pass
    Kirkstone Pass
    Hradknott Pass
    Wrynose Pass

Wales
    The Shelf, Ruthin
    Moel Arthur
    Penbarra
    The Road to Hell
    Horseshoe Pass
    Bwlch-y-Groes
    Ffordd Penllech
    Devil's Staircase
    Llangynidr Mountain
    Black Mountain
    Bryn Du
    The Tumble
    Rhigos
    The Bwlch
    Constitution Hill, Swansea

Right that's it. For more information and the out-of-ten scores I can heartily recommend buying the book.

EDIT: Sorry everyone, I've taken the scores off as I think it's better to come up with our own opinions on the relative merits. The ones in the book are, as the author admits, only his impression.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ketsbaia
    edited June 2010
    Well there's a point of disagreement already. I reckon Toys Hill is definitely easier than Yorks Hill. Even heading north.

There are some terrific short climbs in that neck of the woods, though. Looking forward to crossing swords with them this weekend.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    And only 7 in Scotland!

The author isn't well-travelled. The Lecht and Cairn Gorm are the two ski centres - wonder what hills he means....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    I think both those climbs are actually up to the ski stations. As I mentioned, the basis was hill climb courses and climbs famously featured in races, + a few other personal favourites, so it's not surprising that some areas are better represented than others. It doesn't pretend to be a definitive list of all the biggest/steepest roads in the UK. Hence the suggestion that we all add our favourites to the list.
    Pinnacle Monzonite