Silly Commuter Hill Climbs

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,411
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Being originally from north Bristol, and growing up cycling around the Cotswold escarpment, I do rather pine or the hills (not the fjords), and I have been lucky enough to just receive a copy of 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs by Simon Warren. Although I've already ticked off a couple of the North Downs climbs - Box Hill, Leith Hill, and White Downs (my favourite so far), I was intrigued by Swains Lane in north London. I thought I might have a crack at this one lunchtime. I have a project just down on Holloway Road, so not far out of my way; is it worth the trip?

Also. at the back of the book is a little list to log climbs and times. I wondered whether anyone would be interested in Silly Commuting Hill Climbs as a sort of SC stats spin off. Not being an IT type, I haven't the faintest idea how to set up any sort of table, or even how it would be set out, but for starters, a simple post with username, name of climb and time would do. I don't think we need to stick rigidly to the ones in the book - any decent climb would do.

What do you think?
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    What counts as a decent climb (how are they defined in the book)? I guess a combination of gradient & elevation (plus some other factors) but what?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Hmm, I'd be up for this. I've quite a climb on the commute home.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If the number of people in the '1000 feet climb in commute' mini league is anything to go by, there won't be any need for sophisticated spreadsheet work :lol:

As for non commute climbs, I've done a few of the Northern English ones but don't have accurate time climbs as I've other things to worry about. I think Ditchling took me 9 minutes on MTB and Hardknott about 20 on the same machine but those are the only ones I know. Can be a bit tricky deciding where a climb really begins as well. Eg Newlands from the North could be considered to start at Braithwaite or about 3 miles further on where you really start to notice it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    if you are on holloway road there are a number of decent climbs in the area. i can map them for you at some point today if you'd like
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Any climbs listed in south London / Kent? When I get my road bike back I might take a few detours on my commute home...
  • rjsterry
    I had thought the timing thing might be an issue - I think you would need to list the start and finish markers that you used. The start could be a sign post or phone box or road turning, and the finish would generally be the summit of the climb.

As for what counts as a decent climb, for me, it would have to be at least steeper than 10%, or more like 15% if it's fairly short. Most of the ones in the book have sections of 20% or steeper, but average at about 10% for the whole climb. I think it's a bit like SCR, in that if you are honest with yourself, you know whether it's a decent climb.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Find it hard to believe that a hill in London would make it into the top 100 climbs (unless of course it's a UK/Ireland list not worldwide)

Re your actual question. I think there is a website with the xxx top climbs in cycling which you join, then update as you complete them, like an I Spy type idea. Maybe a UK/ Ireland list would work?

ETA yeah it's UK based
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bigmat
    It MUST be UK and Ireland, surely? Doubt the UK has any of the world's toughest 100 climbs if we're being honest. I was hoping there might also be the usual London bias for good measure! :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spasypaddy wrote:
    if you are on holloway road there are a number of decent climbs in the area. i can map them for you at some point today if you'd like

They need to be ones you can't freewheel up with a following wind :twisted:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2010
    Yep, the book is Great Britain only. The Swains Lane climb is one of the lower rated ones, due to its short length (about 800m), although it does give 76m of climb I believe. Pretty tiddly by national standards but not bad for London. It's the only one listed in the capital. Most in the SE are in the North or South Downs, with one in the Chilterns, and one on the Berkshire Downs

I seem to remember CP and BJUK discussing another short steep climb near Croydon. Where was that again?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• meanredspider
    rjsterry wrote:
    if you are honest with yourself, you know whether it's a decent climb.

I'm not sure I do - I've only ever really cycled in Cambridge (where a "hill" is where the council did a rush job of filling a pothole) and the Highlands (where a "hill" has snow on it from October to April). I'm therefore finding it difficult to calibrate. The road near me is 1:10 for a kilometer and makes me puff - it's pretty constant and straight too (it actually starts at sea level and finshes at 207m but the first 100m is over a couple of km) - is that a hill? My commute is pretty hilly - 2000ft of ascent in total both ways - but no killer hills
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I think there is already a thread for Box Hill, similar to the RP3LC. I seem to remember being pointed to it and that ascending it in about 8 minutes would put you near the top of the leaderboard :-)

I remember doing some nice climbs in the Kent area with Ketsbaia before we had to turn around and head back after my puncture and failing rear wheel. Think we did Toys Hill, Ike Hill (which was lovely!) and finally Westerham Hill which was silly steep but relatively short compared to the other ones.

I do keep meaning to head out S/W and try Ranmore Common, Leith Hill, Whitedown, Winterfold etc. as I do like to hurt myself :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    edited June 2010
    Swains Lane is my local one - obviously its in London so its not huge or very long but there is very little traffic on it and there is a decent stretch that goes well over 10%.

Due to its length it is probably sprintable.

If we were formalising things I would say standing start at Chester Road ending at the turning onto Bisham Gardens.

If i finish work at a decent time I'll have a bash tonight and post the first time.

Edit - tried to post a link to googlemaps but failed
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I think there is already a thread for Box Hill, similar to the RP3LC. I seem to remember being pointed to it and that ascending it in about 8 minutes would put you near the top of the leaderboard :-)

I remember doing some nice climbs in the Kent area with Ketsbaia before we had to turn around and head back after my puncture and failing rear wheel. Think we did Toys Hill, Ike Hill (which was lovely!) and finally Westerham Hill which was silly steep but relatively short compared to the other ones.

I do keep meaning to head out S/W and try Ranmore Common, Leith Hill, Whitedown, Winterfold etc. as I do like to hurt myself :-)
    Dude, you need to go a short 6 or under to get close the lead up Box Hill.

I've said it before: how hard a hill is depends mainly on how fast you want to climb it. If you haven't got the gears it's always going to be hard, though...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2010
    Blimey, Cambridge to the Highlands must have been a shock to the legs (and everything else for that matter). If the climb is a challenge, then I think it counts as a decent climb. 1:10 for a kilometre sounds like a reasonable effort.

The book was apparently based on the traditional hill climb courses to start with, with other significant famous routes added (like Hardknott and Wrynose) that have featured in races, plus a few other author's favourites. I think there was also an attempt to get a vaguely even geographical spread as well.0

I was thinking this thread could be more of a pool of information on climbs around the country, rather than purely a stats based thing (although it's always fun to compare times/gradients/distances). Part of the enjoyment of climbing is the dramatic scenery you tend to get with riding up hills.

@BJUK: To give you an idea, Box Hill was I think a 4/10, whereas Leith Hill is a 6/10, and White Down is an 8/10. Mmmmm hurty.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• EArmstrong
    EArmstrong Posts: 25
    Is Ewden Beck/Bank listed in it?
    Its North of Sheffield, its a 1:4 climb for about...too far.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    JonGinge wrote:

Dude, you need to go a short 6 or under to get close the lead up Box Hill.

I've said it before: how hard a hill is depends mainly on how fast you want to climb it. If you haven't got the gears it's always going to be hard, though...

I sit corrected :-)........Do agree with hills are only as hard as you make them and I've had to make conscious efforts to try and avoid racing up some (certainly did with the Mag!)

I quite like the idea of using this as a collection for hills. If I get a chance I'll put a link up I got from Rogermerriman for hills in the South Downs if I can find it again!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    Don't remember it, but I'll check tonight. We can list it here though if you fancy posting a time :D .
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Bassjunkieuk
    I think that book will be appearing on my Xmas list this year.......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Jubilee Tower is my local. 6/10, IIRC.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    MatHammond wrote:
    Any climbs listed in south London / Kent? When I get my road bike back I might take a few detours on my commute home...

Not sure if any are listed, but I know of several good climbs in the SE London/North Kent area, including those mentioned by Bassjunkieuk above, but also Yorks Hill, Star Hill and Titsey Hill.

May be going for a quick blast around them on Saturday as a last-minute sharpener before the Marmotte. You're welcome to tag along/tow me up the climbs. :D
  • rjsterry
    There's definitely 2 or 3 listed along the eastern North Downs. Toys Hill was one, and The Wall. Can't remember the others.

Shall I just sit down tonight and post the complete list with ratings?

EDIT: Yorks Hill was another.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    rjsterry wrote:
    Shall I just sit down tonight and post the complete list with ratings?
    Yes please :) Ditto interest in Sth London/Nth Kent.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    *paging IT to this thread*

What's required IMHO is a website listing these climbs with their ratings, the ability to 'tick off' any you have done, 'space' to make comments, add photos, maps, route profiles etc and to add new climbs.

Vague enough spec for you?

I'd be suprised if such a site didn't already exist, but my google fu is poor.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    This lists a few climbs with nice gradient graphs or this one lists a bigger selection using a nice Google Maps mash-up!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Putney Bridge: evil climb.

There's Nightingale Lane, too. Short and sharp. Kicks up to 18%, maybe a shade more?

Other than that, Broomfield's the only one on my commute home.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    I have a few on my commute now, dependong which way I go - Dog Kennel Lane (not too hard), Denmark Hill (easy), Sydenham Hill (pretty tough heading South but short), Anerley Hill (steep at the top), Streatham Common (not too bad), Central Hill up to Crystal Palace (quite tough). All good leg testers on my 35lb commuter when I have a bag filled with files / shopping, although they probably won't seem that significant when I eventually have a go on a road bike.
  • meanredspider
    rjsterry wrote:
    Blimey, Cambridge to the Highlands must have been a shock to the legs (and everything else for that matter). If the climb is a challenge, then I think it counts as a decent climb. 1:10 for a kilometre sounds like a reasonable effort.

It took me a while to pluck up the courage to do my 30 mile round trip commute - if for no other reason that it's always bloody windy too.

Cool - I was just using that hill as a benchmark. In my short time on here I've seen plenty of howls of derision ("Call that a hill!" to "There's no bloody way you can climb a hill THAT steep" type of comments) - just wanted to make sure I was in the right sort of ballpark. I'm too heavy to think about competing in any sort of hillclimbing challenge though.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Anything in the cannock area?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Is that the Killer Climbs publication which puts Bealach na Ba 10th in the UK? And Great Dun Fell not even on the list? And Lowther Hill a 5/10 because there's a false flat after you've climbed 800ft, and because they didn't realise it has a km at the top at about 12% in a howling gale?

In that case, its total nonsense and mere comfort reading for Londoners.

I've been up many of the South Downs climbs, and no they are not easy.

But come on - if you've already climbed 400m and THEN hit a steep bit, its a hell of a lot worse than coming to a "wall" fresh. Might be different if you put cobbles on it and hosed it down and put some horse manure on it, like they do in Belgium.

By any measure, the pain experienced getting up one of the long upland climbs (Lakes, Pennines, presumably Wales, Scotland... there are also some near 1000ft, 20% brutes on Dartmoor, which are very hard indeed) far outweighs a little burst up a 500ft SE England climb of any gradient.
    :roll: