Massively offtopic: 'future financial dependants'

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Jeeze I thought men were more decisive than wimmin :roll: :lol:

oi don't tar us with the same brush as him...

Anyone else in the same situation would have gone oh well less money and hope they don't hit the target first time :lol:

:lol::lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yep.

We're on page 12 now.

You should have waited one post and you could have made it 13 :lol:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Jeeze I thought men were more decisive than wimmin :roll: :lol:

oi don't tar us with the same brush as him...

Anyone else in the same situation would have gone oh well less money and hope they don't hit the target first time :lol:

Indeedy, and only DDD could generate 13 pages and no doubt more about something he might do some years in the future or maybe not.............
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    Rolf F wrote:
    Indeedy, and only DDD could generate 13 pages and no doubt more about something he might do some years in the future or maybe not.............

To be fair to DDD, I do look forward to whatever nonsense he'll come up with tomorrow.

Without him there'd be no board, just bored.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    rjsterry wrote:
    Nope, that gets a +1 from me. To be fair DDD does admit to being spoilt when he was younger, but pocket money at 26? :shock: and then :shock: some more.
    Meh, well I like it :)

She clearly doesn't miss it (they're a very sensible family, there are no mortgages, blokey thinks very very carefully before all purchases, is good at saving, and puts away a good chunk every year) - and I think she's aware that money just disappears into life and that we could all do with a bit of 'whimsy'.

I just wish Blokey took it as the gift it is, and did interesting things with it - it's not like he's on the breadline (unlike myself, haha!).
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

To be fair to DDD, I do look forward to whatever nonsense he'll come up with tomorrow.

Without him there'd be no board, just bored.

And you have absolutely no idea where the threads will lead - chaos theory :D

He'll be much missed when he has kids and the broadband has to go to pay for the nursery fees :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    7. there's a whole lot more to life than buying stuff. Thankfully.

07 Langster - 03 Trek 5900 - 95 Trek 5500
    88 Cannondale T600 tourer -85 Raleigh Comp
    92 Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback Two tandem.
    Brompton S2LX- 09 Tricross Sport

:D

Not having a go, just made me smile is all.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:
    I'd like him in the room with me when my time comes, but uh, am not sure he needs to stand downwind... :shock:

Who, Jake? :shock:

That would explain those 'business trips' :lol: :roll:

Nah, if you read the papers his business trips coincide with the quelling of South American insurgents, the eradication terrorists in the East somewhere and the destruction of a Russian Oil baron's empire...

If you look at his Credit Card, on the inside it say Mi19....

Jake Bond, I'm telling you.

Believe me Jake is the most unlikely spy ever, he would be too obvious and I have to admit I laughed (a lot) when he said he had completed the RN Commando course.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale
    I'm afraid I wouldn't name a child after a film character. Yes I know James is a film character name, but in Jakes family it is the name given to the eldest boy and that would remain the same.

always stick with sensible names which will see someone through their childhood and adulthood.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    7. there's a whole lot more to life than buying stuff. Thankfully.

07 Langster - 03 Trek 5900 - 95 Trek 5500
    88 Cannondale T600 tourer -85 Raleigh Comp
    92 Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback Two tandem.
    Brompton S2LX- 09 Tricross Sport

:D

Not having a go, just made me smile is all.
    PP
    Makes me smile as well!

And pretty much all were pre-wife and pre-kids.

Langster was £100 from a colleague last year, and I commute 8000 miles a year on it.

Trek 5900 frame was £180 from a guy here and a replacement frame for my 1991 road bike (the frame I then sold for £130).

Tricross was £400 from another colleague, brand new. A bit of an extravagance, but I sold a fair amount of stuff on eBay to cover it.

Brompton was a real treat, but paid for itself within a year through C2W scheme and saved bus fares on park n ride.

I probably spend £40 to £50 a month (max) on bikes.
    I ride 200 miles a week commuting. You can't cycle commute that kind of distance without some costs, but considerably cheaper than doing it in the car.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    im building up my bike collection before we start having kids as I know when they come along the bikes will stop :)
  • tom101
    tom101 Posts: 39
    When you've got kids it's not the cost in money so much as time which is a killer. After all, it's always possible to earn more money, but there will only ever be 24 hours in a day. A lot of those will be spent doing stuff you'd probably rather not be; Cleaning, cooking, tidying, bathing, nagging....etc. etc...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    tom101 wrote:
    When you've got kids it's not the cost in money so much as time which is a killer. After all, it's always possible to earn more money, but there will only ever be 24 hours in a day. A lot of those will be spent doing stuff you'd probably rather not be; Cleaning, cooking, tidying, bathing, nagging....etc. etc...

Nagging? A male trait? Who'd have thunk it :lol:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    andy83 wrote:
    im building up my bike collection before we start having kids as I know when they come along the bikes will stop :)

Yeah, that's my excuse.

Despite not planning on having kids.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Missed the boat on that one. :(
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    jedster wrote:
    Must admit I find this kind of stuff
    My bloke's mum still effectively gives him pocket money (he's 26), but now she calls it 'whimsy money' at £30/month

pretty gobsmacking.

I mean, if my future 26 yr old children get into a scrape and need some financial help then I will likely be there for them but the idea that I will be giving them spending money? NOT BLOODY LIKELY. The 26 yr old me would have found it humiliating not that my parents would have contemplated it.

I was also pretty surprised by DDD talking about asking his Dad for £30 for a night out. Now I realise he was talking about when he was younger but my Dad would have said "you want to spend £30 quid on a night out then you better get out and earn some money". When I was at school, I did get an allowance to pay for clothes and some pocket money but a night out on Friday relied on earning some money the previous Saturday.

This all sounds bonkers to me. Am I turning into a Monty Python Yorkshireman?

J

Nope, that gets a +1 from me. To be fair DDD does admit to being spoilt when he was younger, but pocket money at 26? :shock: and then :shock: some more.

slightly off thread, but then why not....

I went on holiday to the south of France years ago, once of the women in the party of about 15, who was aged 28 / 29 had a tooth abscess.

She was stupid enough to not have travel insurance, and too pampered to sort out the problem herself. So she rang her Mum in London who had her secretary organise a dentist's appointment and a car to take her there and back.......she also still received an allowance from her parent's.

in short her parent's had spoilt her so rotten she could not even look after herself, or make decisions in her best interest. I think the term for this is 'learned uselessness'.
  • rjsterry

I went on holiday to the south of France years ago, once of the women in the party of about 15, who was aged 28 / 29 had a tooth abscess.

She was stupid enough to not have travel insurance, and too pampered to sort out the problem herself. So she rang her Mum in London who had her secretary organise a dentist's appointment and a car to take her there and back.......she also still received an allowance from her parent's.

in short her parent's had spoilt her so rotten she could not even look after herself, or make decisions in her best interest. I think the term for this is 'learned uselessness'.

This is why it is referred to as spoiling your children. If you do it enough, you really will ruin them. One of my colleagues used to do some 'visiting tutor' teaching at one of the very posh colleges in Kensington/Chelsea. She told me that once, one of her students left her pencil case at home, so summoned the family chauffeur to bring it to her. I think the student was in her late teens/early twenties.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited June 2010
    By the age of 24-25 I was paying my Mum £200 a month.

When I moved out I offered to continue doing this but she declined. I didn't ask twice.

I also give (almost always given) my brother (now 16 and just finished his GCSEs) between £10-£20 a month but more likely whenever I see him. Which is often. When I was living at home I also used to take him out once a month and spend £50 - £100 on him. I missed him when I was at Uni and he missed me so I wanted/want to spoil him. Also unlike me who benefiitted from several young and single Aunts and Uncles, they've all settled now and so my brother only has me in addition to our parents.

During my teen years, pre Uni I asked my parents for money, which teen doesn't? I had a part-time job so they couldn't say I was a layabout. I just sometimes needed extra and they weren't and aren't strapped for cash. When they didn't have it they didn't give it.

In fact I've been working in some job since I was 16 (at college) when my Dad phoned McDonalds and made them give me an interview. He insisted that I work and take on that responsiblity. It was because I did work he was happy to give me the extra cash.

With the exception of one term at University (September - December) I've always had a job.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    rjsterry wrote:

This is why it is referred to as spoiling your children. If you do it enough, you really will ruin them. One of my colleagues used to do some 'visiting tutor' teaching at one of the very posh colleges in Kensington/Chelsea. She told me that once, one of her students left her pencil case at home, so summoned the family chauffeur to bring it to her. I think the student was in her late teens/early twenties.

I used to work for a university. part of my job was teaching IT skills to new 1st year students. The course was one of the ones where the colour of daddies school tie helps with entry....

One chap whose IT skills were nil...to the point where he didn't know how to use the mouse...actually said to me.."Oh no..This is not relevant to me. Daddies secretary types all of my assignments while I dictate over the phone"

:shock:

I asked him how he would access the electronic resources he would need to learn the topics....again...Daddies secretary will look through all of the content..organise the relevant pieces for a given assignment, then courier the printed documents up!

Can't argue with that type of logic
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    cee wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I used to work for a university. part of my job was teaching IT skills to new 1st year students. The course was one of the ones where the colour of daddies school tie helps with entry....

One chap whose IT skills were nil...to the point where he didn't know how to use the mouse...actually said to me.."Oh no..This is not relevant to me. Daddies secretary types all of my assignments while I dictate over the phone"

:shock:

I asked him how he would access the electronic resources he would need to learn the topics....again...Daddies secretary will look through all of the content..organise the relevant pieces for a given assignment, then courier the printed documents up!

Can't argue with that type of logic

I tell you what, no secretary worth her/his salt would have let you get away with typing 'daddies' in that post...

:P
  • rjsterry
    Their parents must be so proud.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:

Spoiling children is about removing their need to be responsible for themselves. If their lives involve a chaffeur the priviledge doesn't automatically make them spolied.

I will freely admit I was spoiled rotten. I got everything I ever wanted, ever. But my parents insisted I was self sufficient and could stand on my own two feet. Example: I ripped my trousers so I learned to sew and then my Mum bought me a new pair - this came in handy as I had to sew my trousers and lycra shorts back together recently.. I washed dishes, ironed my own clothes and did my own laundry. I was 12-14. At 16 I worked part-time, it didn't dry up the presents and gifts though...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    .....With the exception of one term at University (September - December) I've always had a job.

Maybe you should consider taking a year out? One of the most liberating experiences I ever had was when my then girlfriend (now wife) and I were backpacking. We had got a grip on what we were doing and had been chatting to another backpacker about his plans when I realised that we were completely free to go where we wanted and to do what we wanted, whenever we wanted for the foreseeable future. We had enough money to keep ourselves for a long while and no-one was expecting us to be anywhere or do anything at all... I guess that's what being rich (or at least having independent means) is like but it was a revelation to me!!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • NGale
    i have to say with Jake I am lucky, regardless of his education and family background he has been brought up to fend for himself (although his cooking abilities are nil). He may hate computers and have a logs rating (secretary in short) but he does do all his own paperwork. At home he is a neet freek so everything is tidy (I'm the messy one) and clean all the time and he washes and irons all his own kit. His parents money or status mean very little to him although he doesn't doubt that the right school and university have got him to where he is now.

Then there is the flip side, one of my cadets from a working class family from the local sink estate. Not a clue on how to look after herself, mother does everything for her. When we commented that her number ones uniform was putting is honestly, looking like s sack of sh1t, she said it was her mothers fault and that we needed to tell her mother and that it wasn't her problem. When on a weekend sleep over in the unit she was asked to clean the mess she had made around her mess deck area, she refused and said that was a staff job and not hers. Needless to say she has been 'spoken' to a number of times by the Chief and 1st Lieutenant. Even Jake stood there in disbelief one evening when she refused a request from him to hang up her boyancy aid which she had dumped on the floor.

It's not just those with money who act like spoilt brats.

It's the parents I tells ya :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553

I tell you what, no secretary worth her/his salt would have let you get away with typing 'daddies' in that post...

:P

his father owned the sauce company..therefor it was the daddies secretary.. :p

*this might not actually be true :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DonDaddyD
    Hi,
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    .....With the exception of one term at University (September - December) I've always had a job.

Maybe you should consider taking a year out? One of the most liberating experiences I ever had was when my then girlfriend (now wife) and I were backpacking. We had got a grip on what we were doing and had been chatting to another backpacker about his plans when I realised that we were completely free to go where we wanted and to do what we wanted, whenever we wanted for the foreseeable future. We had enough money to keep ourselves for a long while and no-one was expecting us to be anywhere or do anything at all... I guess that's what being rich (or at least having independent means) is like but it was a revelation to me!!!

Cheers,
    W.

I have quite a rich family heritage, going to Jamacia and staying on top of a Mountain where my Great Gran and where my Grandma grew up was a beautiful eye opener. I can't describe it, they only just got electricity a few years prior.

Then going to the parish where my Great Great Grandfather made the family name was truly special and enriching. I will go back and try to trace it further but it's likely i'll get stuck after a generation or so.

Sorry, backpacking really isn't for me. I prefer tracing my ancestry, for me that's liberating and from what I've learned (from Ms DDD) I get the same sort of sensation as those that have been back packing.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    Two different kinds of spoilt there, I'd say. Resorting to a chauffeur to retrieve a forgotten pencil case, does rather suggest that the person in question has no real sense of personal responsibility (for wasting other people's time in this instance)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Hi,
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Maybe you should consider taking a year out? .
    ...Sorry, backpacking really isn't for me. ....

You have a real talent for missing the point, DDD!

Cheers,
    W.
  • DonDaddyD
    Sorry... :oops:

I just meant a year out, backpacking, has never really appealed to me.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    Two different kinds of spoilt there, I'd say. Resorting to a chauffeur to retrieve a forgotten pencil case, does rather suggest that the person in question has no real sense of personal responsibility (for wasting other people's time in this instance)

True.
    Food Chain number = 4

• NGale
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sorry... :oops:

I just meant a year out, backpacking, has never really appealed to me.

heck why backpack when someone invented cars, planes and comfy hotels. :wink: