Massively offtopic: 'future financial dependants'

15678911»

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OOOooooo Who? How long you been with him? What's he like? What's he look like? Is he the one? I can't believe you're getting married!!! If you have a boy name him Laurence!

And you want to be the one who's 'kept'? Are you sure you're a bloke? The evidence to the contrary is building.... :P
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:

@DDD: I think TWH's comment was making the point that you might think you'll know what you'll do with children, but when they're actually there in front of you, you might act differently. I'm fairly regularly re-assessing how I think we should bring up our little one. All thee above posts can be prefixed by 'this is what I think (so far)'.

Fair enough, I think its good to have some pre-established idea of what you are going to do. But ultiamtely its dependant on the child.

Each child is different (even monozygotic twins) so requires a different parenting techniques to raise them.

Still, having some predisposed idea helps.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Oh absolutely, it's just that in theory vs in practice bit. I'm a bit worried that despite my protestations to the contrary, I'll cave in at the first tantrum in a toy shop.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    TommyEss wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Having a family doesn't necessarily preclude matcatladydom. My mum is starting to show worrying first signs. We always had cats when I was growing up (despite me and one of my brothers having an allergy to cats :? - a very sneezy childhood). All the time I lived at home, the cats just got plain Whiskas out of a tin, with maybe a sprinkling of Go-Kat, but I have recently noticed on return visits that the cats are now fed these fancy individual sachet jobbies, and have acquired a range of cat 'toys'. Most worrying. Just waiting for the newspapers to start piling up (although I'm quite bad at that myself).

I perfer dogs personally, but with our jobs a dog wasn't viable, also I couldn't see this cat go without a home, it would have ended up at the Cats Protection or the RSPCA. So a cat bed, injections, cat litter and various toys later, young Nelson has made himself at home and an enemy out of Jake :lol:

Get a retired racing greyhound - all the fun of a dog - all the sleep of a cat!! Walk them for 20 minutes in the morning and they'll sleep the rest of the day!

Did actually look at getting a greyhound or whippet (I love those dogs), but with me working shifts and Jake on standby for deployment it wouldn't be fair to leave any dog for hours on end while I'm at work. The cat can at least make it's own way through the newly fitted cat flap.

You'd be surprised - ours have all been fine - they really do sleep nearly all day - as my mum discovered when she come home at lunch time to discover the dog bleary-eyed trying to get himself out of his basket!

10 hour shifts wouldn't be fair on any dog, at least with the cat and the cat flap he can come and go as he pleases. I would perfer a dog at some point, but perhaps in a few years time when Jake is more permantly land based or retired
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Being a 'weird cat lady' when I'm in my '80s is among my greatest fears.

Other fears include drowning, heights and octopi.

You better find a man!

What makes you think I haven't?

Do you realise how many hearts on here you've just broken?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Aidy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You better find a man!

Note that I haven't actually said I have, I merely ask what makes DDD think I haven't...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Hehehehehehehehehehe

There's nothing funnier than people with no kids discussing how kids should be raised/ disciplined

Except I suppose being a grandparent watching your kids trying to raise theirs.

That must be fricking hilarious

So raising a child just cam to you the moment you held yours did it? :roll:

No.

I'm at it 8 years with 4 kids and I still haven't a clue. We haven't even entered the teenage years yet.

You should print this thread out, put it in an envelope and address it to DDD 2020.

You'll understand then.

One of the advantages of having kids earlier than your peers/social circle is watching them cope as all their wisdom evaporates
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hehehehehehehehehehe

There's nothing funnier than people with no kids discussing how kids should be raised/ disciplined

Except I suppose being a grandparent watching your kids trying to raise theirs.

That must be fricking hilarious

According to my best friend who's a grandmother. It's one of her greatest joys :twisted: Payback, she calls it :lol:
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Feck me, is this thread still going?

DDD, there's a bloke down my way whose missus wasn't even preggers when this thread started. Their kid's at primary school now.

Get going, man!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Aidy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You better find a man!

Oh yeah. Dave the Trucker can be a cruel mistress sometimes.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Bringing up kids... Agree a line in the sand with the wife and stick to it. Back each other up and never, never show weakness. They will exploit it. If you think MOSSAD are bad then wait for kids. The combination of sleep deprevation. financial sanctions and emotional torture they can and will heap upon you will make MOSSAD's finest look like Rod, Jane and Freddy. The beach must be held at all costs my friend, do not waver...
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    Feck me, is this thread still going?

DDD, there's a bloke down my way whose missus wasn't even preggers when this thread started. Their kid's at primary school now.

Get going, man!

Stop putting pressure on me, I can't perform under pressure!

Its what I tell Ms DDD anyway...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Bringing up kids... Agree a line in the sand with the wife and stick to it. Back each other up and never, never show weakness. They will exploit it. If you think MOSSAD are bad then wait for kids. The combination of sleep deprevation. financial sanctions and emotional torture they can and will heap upon you will make MOSSAD's finest look like Rod, Jane and Freddy. The beach must be held at all costs my friend, do not waver...

Indeed. Our 10 month old seems to have already worked out the 'Mummy says no, Hmm, let's get a second opinion form Daddy' routine before she can walk or speak. Very worrying.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Aidy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You better find a man!

Note that I haven't actually said I have, I merely ask what makes DDD think I haven't...
    The fact that you are lamenting the prospect of being a strange single cat lady age 80?

You must just intimidate men with your large (financial) assets.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    fenboy369 wrote:

+1

Fenboy speaks from experience of being a parent - quite obviously
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Me and Mrs Biondino (haha I've never called her that before) are getting a whippet!
    Cafewanda wrote:
    This thread should be printed off by all fathers and shown to their sons at puberty and when they feel they've met 'the one'. Might be more effective than condoms

Less comfortable, though. Ouch.
    My boy is 1 next weekend, I don't care how much he costs in time & money, he is a BARGAIN.

I've just read the whole thread and this is far and away the best post :)
  • NGale
    as of today, we officially have Jakes mother badgering us as to when we're getting married and having kids. It seems living together is not good enough :shock: :shock:
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I'm happily married and have two boys, the eldest is 19, just finished first year of uni and the youngest is 17.

They are hard, hard work for oooh, the first ten years and then it gets a bit easier.

The lovely Mrs Idle gave up full time work after the secondwas born and is still in part time work earning peanuts. Money is fine now even paying for uni but was tough when they were young as i was lower down the salary scale then.

One of the best bits is getting to do all you wanted/buy all the toys you wanted as a child (with boys for me anyway).

Another great bit is that you get to do stuff like we ar ein four weeks when the eldest is coming with me to Les Arcs for some DH'ing on the MTB's. Here he is last time we went back in 2007

trailaddiction02.jpg

Proud dad moment
    FCN = 4
  • NGale
    do cats county as 'financial dependents'? Mine has just cost me a small fortune for vacinations and to have his bits sorted :lol:
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    biondino wrote:
    Me and Mrs Biondino (haha I've never called her that before) are getting a whippet!
    Cafewanda wrote:
    This thread should be printed off by all fathers and shown to their sons at puberty and when they feel they've met 'the one'. Might be more effective than condoms

My boy is 1 next weekend, I don't care how much he costs in time & money, he is a BARGAIN.

+100 on that last bit.

Mrs. Biondino - hahahahahahahahaha
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • NGale
    linsen wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

+100 on that last bit.

It;s the fact there's a Mrs B :roll: :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So anyway, how did DDDs kids turn out?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • linsen
    NGale wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

+100 on that last bit.

Not at all. It's the fact that I know her...
  • NGale
    linsen wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

+100 on that last bit.

Not at all. It's the fact that I know her...

she must have the patience of a saint...to live with him that is :lol: :roll:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This might have been covered already but it's late and I want some duvet time. The cost per year of raising a child to 21 can stop you buying over £200k bits of bike :shock: :shock: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/fe ... -inflation
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • linsen
    redvee wrote:
    This might have been covered already but it's late and I want some duvet time. The cost per year of raising a child to 21 can stop you buying over £200k bits of bike :shock: :shock: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/fe ... -inflation

But a large part of that cost is living an a bigger house, whcih has its own set of benefits unreleated to the fact you have children.

@NGale - both Mr and Mrs Biondino are utterly delightful
  • NGale
    linsen wrote:
    redvee wrote:

But a large part of that cost is living an a bigger house, whcih has its own set of benefits unreleated to the fact you have children.

@NGale - both Mr and Mrs Biondino are utterly delightful

I don't doubt it :D